What's new

Best zoner in MKX?

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Zoning does not ONLY equal projectiles, that line of thinking really needs to cease. The keep away and projectile type of zoning is just that, a type of zoning. Stop blanketing the concept please.

shaowebb

Get your guns on. Sheriff is back.
Either Shinnok, or Erron Black have my attention. I see the marksman rifle and caltrops preventing running as a really really annoying tool for Erron Black and Shinnok looks like Shang /Aquaman/Sinestro at times. Hell Shinnok probably has it locked down for best zoner with the 3 low shang blasts and enhance combo setups tooling together with boneshaper's Aquaman style stuff has me happy. Of course I see Necromancer's hand crush as a nasty tool to use after a shang blast knockdown to screw up folks since its unblockable.

I kind of wonder about Liu Kang though...his dualist form with the light and dark projectile variants have some manhunter setups and some other stuff in his enhanced fireballs in his Dragons Fire variant. These aren't exactly "zoner" style tools, but man do they make his pressure and space control good. I'm curious how well he might be able to stay out when he wants to do so...I get the feeling in the right hands his dualist and his dragons fire "enhanced enhanced" two bar hit confirm into unbreakable stuff will become something to fear. Plus if you ain't gettin it done that way and need to go in you will likely see folks stop zoning and pop in Flame Fist variant and run it back on trident rush style chip damage off his bicycle punches.

Last edited:

_CHINOCUDEIRO_

Machakabotones
You need to difference between zoning and footsies game.
Zoning uses proyectiles to damage at long distance and footsies uses decent range normals that keep you safe and dont let your opp. moves reaches you

Vilén

too smart to play MKX
From what I've seen and heard so far, Inferno Scorpion, Lasher Takeda and Erron Black in general seem to be geared towards distance games. Though everybody just cites the guns for Erron but it's probably the way they'll work in tandem with the caltrops that'll make him lethal.

Still holding out to see what Kenshi's bringing to the table. My hunch/wishful thinking is that Necromancer Shinnok will be zoning-oriented as well but I'm still not really convinced wtf he does.

shaowebb

Get your guns on. Sheriff is back.
From what I've seen and heard so far, Inferno Scorpion, Lasher Takeda and Erron Black in general seem to be geared towards distance games. Though everybody just cites the guns for Erron but it's probably the way they'll work in tandem with the caltrops that'll make him lethal.

Still holding out to see what Kenshi's bringing to the table. My hunch/wishful thinking is that Necromancer Shinnok will be zoning-oriented as well but I'm still not really convinced wtf he does.
The thing I really want people to think about is that running takes meter in this game. When Erron Black pops out the caltrops and starts walking away with Rifle shots he isn't just zoning...he often times will force you to waste meter, take chip and can now easily bait out teleports or jumpins for any setups he's fishing for. Thats what I feel will make him so viable with that rifle style...it costs you a LOT every time he tosses those caltrops.

Rajhkeem Beck

Mr. Still Getting it Together
Seems like a lot of characters have zoning variations. However, the focused zoning characters like Takeda, Erron black, and I suppose Shinnok will probably be stronger in those areas. However, I think people sleep on Liu Kang, the variations that affect his fireball game are gonna be sick.

Osmedirez

MK Konspiracy Theorist
I feel like some of the characters we've seen demo'd were not from their 'release' balance pass and that will change which ones work better for what than what we are getting so far, zoning or otherwise. Some characters seem OP fast, while others seem way too punishable to be real atm.

Running will change the zoning game for MKX entirely, and most of the zoner variations I've seen look way open or avoidable with teleporting. Lots of trap variations with different effects. It's going to be a madhouse at launch until people figure everything out. But it'll be fun. :cool:

It seems like Erron and Ermac have some good zoning games, and maybe Takeda .. but he looked super punishable to me with what little they showed, they just didn't get into it on the stream.

HeroesNZ

Baconlord's Billionaire Sugar Daddy
The thing I really want people to think about is that running takes meter in this game. When Erron Black pops out the caltrops and starts walking away with Rifle shots he isn't just zoning...he often times will force you to waste meter, take chip and can now easily bait out teleports or jumpins for any setups he's fishing for. Thats what I feel will make him so viable with that rifle style...it costs you a LOT every time he tosses those caltrops.
Running only uses Stamina Meter. If he's put out Caltrops then you can't run over them, meaning you wouldn't be able to waste your Stamina Meter by running.

This is all just speculation of course, but his zoning style seems extremely similar to Nightwing's (low profiling specials, lack of a fullscreen mid projectile) in that it's better suited to counter-zoning/chip depending on the MU. As in a patient opponent will get in very easily, but not without taking quite a bit of chip damage.

Takeda
Necromancer Shinnok
Marksman Erron Black
Dualist Liu Kang
Ermac
Royal Storm Kitana
Quan Chi
Probably Kenshi, too.