What's new

Match-up Discussion Baraka Match Up Discussion

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
so yea i get eaten alive for saying raka vs sub is 5-5 in the sub forum from truth to tom brady and then this gets posted, i love it!

kung and kenshi are horrible matches for baraka, baraka has to play there game or lose hard

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
You need to learn the matchup. And severely improve your fundamentals. Read some stuff on here and learn some stuff about the character. I have a headache and I really dont feel like explaining this to someone who is losing to three moves(one of which sucks).

Also like someone else said, the kenshi, KL, and Sub forums may have help for you there. If I feel better later I might go into the matchups for you, until then I do suggest you check some of the threads out and see how he really plays.

1man3letters

everything baraka does is safe, You have to wiff punish. try keeping him away with sub or kenshi
very untrue,
his main launcher unsafe,chop chop is unsafe,spark is unsafe,charge is unsafe if not spaced right and spin is full combo punishable, just duck it and it whiffs, people REALLY need to learn how to deal with that move

low hitbox chars can punish slices also and all the cast can punish d1/d3~slices, again another move baraka players have been getting away with murder with

Zone him, really hard. He can EX Blade Charge, but only so much.
If you're gonna get close, do NOT jump. You'll eat a spin.
After knocking him down, crouch block to avoid the spin and punish and punish all close range blocked charges.
It's also generally a good idea to crouch block at most times mid screen to avoid his B3,1 juggles and long-ass D4 pressure.
When putting block-string pressure, be wary of the spin and D1.

That's about the gist of it, I think. Hope it helps a bit.

TotteryManx

cr. HP Master
I know someone that is ridiculously good with Baraka and does a lot more than that. His pressure is really quick and ridiculous. If you're having trouble with those 3 things I suggest you pickup a zoning character and make the player waste his meter. That's the easy way out of course....

The difficult way is to pick up Baraka yourself and understand more about him to see what's punishable or not. Going into training playing Baraka on expert couldn't help with your reaction to his moves either. ;)

XXFleshtrapXX

imma eat choo!
Slices is Baraka's only truly safe special move. It's his main method of pressure because it's safe, and unlike his other specials it doesn't knock the opponent into perfect zoning range. And zoning is his only major weakness. Most of his strings are unsafe unless canceled in slices.

1man3letters

Slices is Baraka's only truly safe special move. It's his main method of pressure because it's safe, and unlike his other specials it doesn't knock the opponent into perfect zoning range. Most of his strings are unsafe unless canceled in slices.
there are times though when silces isnt safe, like off a d1/d3
or most the time vs low hitboxes

1man3letters

d1 slices isn't safe? Maaaan I had no idea, that might explain why I don't use it as often. Although I can't remember if I've had anyone blow up it up or not.
if the d1/d3 hits it is, if its blocked no.
on block:
D+1 - -1, so canceling into slices creates 11frame gap for move to be beaten
D+3 - +1, so canceling into slices here can be beaten by 9 frame or less (radiens tele,d3s,certain d2s,armor and the like)

ive been saying for a good while now d1/d3~slices isnt a good a people think, its just that even with the frame data out no one seems bothered to learn the counter to it

edit:fixed error

XXFleshtrapXX

imma eat choo!
if the d1/d3 hits it is, if its blocked no.
on block:
D+1 - -1, so canceling into slices creates 10frame gap for move to be beaten
D+3 - +1, so canceling into slices here can be beaten by 8 frame or less (radiens tele,d3s,certain d2s,armor and the like)

ive been saying for a good while now d1/d3~slices isnt a good a people think, its just that even with the frame data out no one seems bothered to learn the counter to it
Indeed, I see alot of Baraka's use it and get away with it but i never really saw the advantage of using it. Now that I know it's such a disadvantage I'm really not going to use it. I use 2,1,2 or 2,1 slices for my pressure.

1man3letters

Indeed, I see alot of Baraka's use it and get away with it but i never really saw the advantage of using it. Now that I know it's such a disadvantage I'm really not going to use it. I use 2,1,2 or 2,1 slices for my pressure.
d1/d3 slices is good against people who dont know what to do with it, like try beat raka to the poke after the slices, raka has a 6 frame poke(d3) so if it meets another 6 frame move its random which one hits and getting out off something by randomness never a good idea, if you find yourself against someone who doesnt know what to do with it abuse it for the meter till they learn

now 2,1,2 has its own set of problems with the last 2 whiffing alot,
i have been using it fair bit lately though as there are some funky pressure things you can do when it hits and gets the knockdown,like it has more adv when the opp techrolls than if he doesnt, weird stuff

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
shouldn't you post this in the sub-zero forum? also, don't you guys have top sz players that you can ask for advice?
I play more than just Sub-Zero and I figured, ya know... baraka players would know better. The thread is about baraka, so why not the Baraka forums? lol

Kung lao losing to Baraka?

Yeah, IKR? That's what I thought... but every time I throw a hat: ex charge! ... whenever I teleport or dive kick: spin!

Hence asking for help. lmao

You need to learn the matchup. And severely improve your fundamentals. Read some stuff on here and learn some stuff about the character. I have a headache and I really dont feel like explaining this to someone who is losing to three moves(one of which sucks).

Also like someone else said, the kenshi, KL, and Sub forums may have help for you there. If I feel better later I might go into the matchups for you, until then I do suggest you check some of the threads out and see how he really plays.
Indeed I do need to learn it. That's why I asked.

No need to be an ass about it. So I can't beat Baraka, I'm sure there are characters you can't beat.

I know someone that is ridiculously good with Baraka and does a lot more than that. His pressure is really quick and ridiculous. If you're having trouble with those 3 things I suggest you pickup a zoning character and make the player waste his meter. That's the easy way out of course....

The difficult way is to pick up Baraka yourself and understand more about him to see what's punishable or not. Going into training playing Baraka on expert couldn't help with your reaction to his moves either. ;)
I tried that... this is what happens:

I use kenshi and start throwing out charges and flurries... I get blade charged. Try it again, blade charged again. So, I get all frantic like "this sh!t isn't working" and I start trying to close in. That's when I eat spins, chop chop or slices (can't remember the name of it), and more charges. OR D4 pokes into pressure.

Guess I'll have to play a little baraka. =/

Creepy00

Noob
If someone plays baraka and records, i can help you with it,,, Basically, this match up is about who can lame it out the most, since whoever gets the life lead, will make the opponent approach. Iceclones and Blade charges are equal in this match.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Indeed I do need to learn it. That's why I asked.

No need to be an ass about it. So I can't beat Baraka, I'm sure there are characters you can't beat.

I tried that... this is what happens:

I use kenshi and start throwing out charges and flurries... I get blade charged. Try it again, blade charged again. So, I get all frantic like "this sh!t isn't working" and I start trying to close in. That's when I eat spins, chop chop or slices (can't remember the name of it), and more charges. OR D4 pokes into pressure.

Guess I'll have to play a little baraka. =/
I am not trying to be an ass about it. But we work really hard to get all of this info in our forums. When someone comes in and says they cant beat Baraka's that spam 3 moves, then I dont really want to type up what I already have in another thread. Im sorry if I came across as harsh, like I said my allergies have been kicking up and it puts me in an irritable mood.

And as for fighting him as Kenshi:
You cant just randomly throw out tele-flurries or spirit charges. If he doesnt have meter, you can throw them out as much as you would like and we are forced to dash in. If he is in blade charge range, wait for him to throw one out and then whiff punish. If he has meter, you have to respect that and be more patient(although EX blade charge rarely helps against Kenshi. If he starts to D4 you, simply back dash and spirit charge. If that hits you are in zoning range once again. Spin is full combo punishable on block. Also it gets beat by lows, so try poking him to take that option away. Chop chop is dumb to use up close, no idea who would do that. If someone does simply wait for it to finish and punish with a spirit charge or rising karma. Slices is safe on block, so dont try to punish it. Instead try to poke out, as Baraka is most likely going to follow with a D1 into another slices. Really though, Baraka cannot compete with Kenshi at all unless he is very close. Even then Kenshi has his fair share of GTFO moves to get into his range again.

XXFleshtrapXX

imma eat choo!
now 2,1,2 has its own set of problems with the last 2 whiffing alot,
i have been using it fair bit lately though as there are some funky pressure things you can do when it hits and gets the knockdown,like it has more adv when the opp techrolls than if he doesnt, weird stuff
Yeah that hit box on that 2,1,2 is just flat out weird, it looks like it should have so much more range but it doesn't. Hell even if the opponent is is touching you as they are falling from a launcher that final 2 will just randomly whiff!! Funny as well as in the corner you usually can't get a reset using the 2,1,2 string if you follow it with a spin because the opponent most be high in the air and surprise...the final 2 whiffs most of the time if you try to land it on a high flying enemy! But I found out if you cancel 2,1,2 into a spin the final 2 hits almost every time, and you can get a 44% reset other than the Javelin fangs reset! That string is flat out broken, but still works on the ground for me.

Faded Dreams V

Retired June 2012. Unretired June 2013.
A. Blade Charge is whiff AND NJP punishable. It can be baited out on wakeup (especially if they anticipate a clone from Sub), and NJP'd. Smoke is unique because he can make the EX version whiff full screen by Smoking Away at the right time.

B. All his other wakeups leave him completely vulnerable as long as they don't touch you.

C. Spin can be ducked under

D. Sub-Zero can slide under his projectile.

E. Kenshi can reflect his projectile.

F. Kenshi can rape Baraka through zoning alone (refine your Kenshi's zoning).

G. Baraka wants you in the corner. Here, he can deliver 30+% combos off both medium and low starters, so it becomes a guessing game.

H. Mid-screen, I'd recommend blocking low against Baraka when he appraches to avoid getting hit with a B3, and then blocking high after that in case he decides to end his string with a mid attack. He may use F2 instead, which is a mid starter, but outside the corner, this doesn't do much damage. His 2 2 1+2 string ends in mid and is a launcher, so make sure to block the last hit while standing His B2 F2 also ends with a mid attack, but it doesn't inflict much damage, so it's harmless for the most part.

1man3letters

Yeah that hit box on that 2,1,2 is just flat out weird, it looks like it should have so much more range but it doesn't. Hell even if the opponent is is touching you as they are falling from a launcher that final 2 will just randomly whiff!! Funny as well as in the corner you usually can't get a reset using the 2,1,2 string if you follow it with a spin because the opponent most be high in the air and surprise...the final 2 whiffs most of the time if you try to land it on a high flying enemy! But I found out if you cancel 2,1,2 into a spin the final 2 hits almost every time, and you can get a 44% reset other than the Javelin fangs reset! That string is flat out broken, but still works on the ground for me.
ye i personally wouldnt use 212 in a juggle,just like you said i keep it to the ground,its 0 when its blocked also.
cancel 212 into spin??? but the last 2 cant be canceled??? im confused to what u mean

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
I am not trying to be an ass about it. But we work really hard to get all of this info in our forums. When someone comes in and says they cant beat Baraka's that spam 3 moves, then I dont really want to type up what I already have in another thread. Im sorry if I came across as harsh, like I said my allergies have been kicking up and it puts me in an irritable mood.

And as for fighting him as Kenshi:
You cant just randomly throw out tele-flurries or spirit charges. If he doesnt have meter, you can throw them out as much as you would like and we are forced to dash in. If he is in blade charge range, wait for him to throw one out and then whiff punish. If he has meter, you have to respect that and be more patient(although EX blade charge rarely helps against Kenshi. If he starts to D4 you, simply back dash and spirit charge. If that hits you are in zoning range once again. Spin is full combo punishable on block. Also it gets beat by lows, so try poking him to take that option away. Chop chop is dumb to use up close, no idea who would do that. If someone does simply wait for it to finish and punish with a spirit charge or rising karma. Slices is safe on block, so dont try to punish it. Instead try to poke out, as Baraka is most likely going to follow with a D1 into another slices. Really though, Baraka cannot compete with Kenshi at all unless he is very close. Even then Kenshi has his fair share of GTFO moves to get into his range again.
Well, when you say ... "I'm not gonna take the time to explain to someone who loses to three moves (one of which sucks)" And that's fine you don't have to, but that makes it sound like I'm not worth even talking to. Just don't talk to me if that's the case. It's w/e though. That was just my thinking on that post. Anyway...

The patient thing, that's what kills me. That's why I eat charges and spins... I have zero patience, especially once I don't have the live lead. There's gotta be a way to work on patience. lmao

Isn't D1 super fast? That is something I saw though... D1 slices and D3 slices, I believe.

Thanks for taking the time to post and for the info.

like was said, I definitely need more Baraka matches to learn what to do. My friend's list is full, but if any of you baraka guys are on XBL... send me a message (Sgt Reed 24) and I'll invite you to a private match. Best way to learn is to get blown up over and over, yes? lol

XXFleshtrapXX

imma eat choo!
ye i personally wouldnt use 212 in a juggle,just like you said i keep it to the ground,its 0 when its blocked also.
cancel 212 into spin??? but the last 2 cant be canceled??? im confused to what u mean
Dude I'm embarrassed as fuck I was talking about a completely different string in the last post, I meant 1,2,1 LMFAO! I won't edit it out to hide my stupidity.

But I DO 2,1 slices and 2,1,2 for pressure on the ground. 2,1, slices works really good for me.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
A. Blade Charge is whiff AND NJP punishable. It can be baited out on wakeup (especially if they anticipate a clone from Sub), and NJP'd. Smoke is unique because he can make the EX version whiff full screen by Smoking Away at the right time.

B. All his other wakeups leave him completely vulnerable as long as they don't touch you.

C. Spin can be ducked under

D. Sub-Zero can slide under his projectile.

E. Kenshi can reflect his projectile.

F. Kenshi can rape Baraka through zoning alone (refine your Kenshi's zoning).

G. Baraka wants you in the corner. Here, he can deliver 30+% combos off both medium and low starters, so it becomes a guessing game.

H. Mid-screen, I'd recommend blocking low against Baraka when he appraches to avoid getting hit with a B3, and then blocking high after that in case he decides to end his string with a mid attack. He may use F2 instead, which is a mid starter, but outside the corner, this doesn't do much damage. His 2 2 1+2 string ends in mid and is a launcher, so make sure to block the last hit while standing His B2 F2 also ends with a mid attack, but it doesn't inflict much damage, so it's harmless for the most part.
A. Does Baraka ever use regular blade charge? lmao
It either hits me while I'm blocking or catches me during a projectile/ice clone ... I don't think anyone has ever whiffed a blade charge on me.

B. Good to know, but how can you catch him on wakeup doing one of those moves? I mean, you have to be pretty far out for blade charge not to be able to hit you. So, I wouldn't think you'd have time to punish a wakeup spin if you are respecting charge... It just hit me... DUH, when trying to rush him down after a knock down, run up and block then punish his wakeup! wow, I'm dumb. lol

C. I know this. lol

D. haha, indeed. That's where like... ALL my damage comes from in a Sub vs Baraka match.

E&F. That's what I thought, but the impatience kills me. :(

H. So blocking low is the best eh? I'll try this for sure. Thanks!

1man3letters

Well, when you say ... "I'm not gonna take the time to explain to someone who loses to three moves (one of which sucks)" And that's fine you don't have to, but that makes it sound like I'm not worth even talking to. Just don't talk to me if that's the case. It's w/e though. That was just my thinking on that post. Anyway...

The patient thing, that's what kills me. That's why I eat charges and spins... I have zero patience, especially once I don't have the live lead. There's gotta be a way to work on patience. lmao

Isn't D1 super fast? That is something I saw though... D1 slices and D3 slices, I believe.

Thanks for taking the time to post and for the info.

like was said, I definitely need more Baraka matches to learn what to do. My friend's list is full, but if any of you baraka guys are on XBL... send me a message (Sgt Reed 24) and I'll invite you to a private match. Best way to learn is to get blown up over and over, yes? lol
yea i dont think zoid was trying to be rude, hes a stand up guy,
he has alot more patience explaining things then i do at times, ive been known to just tell people to "go and read" on bad days.

i think what he was gettin at was something ive complained about alot before, non baraka players tend to start threads that we in the tarkatan army have already helped people out about before so that browsing through our threads which have alot of good info in them might be better than starting a new thread instead OR just using the matchup/general discussion thread,i will never not answer a baraka question posed to us all here,im sure zoids the same, were a tight nit group here that we tarakatans are so few,
sure we have no forum mod so when forum gets messy we get a bit annoyed

on d1/d3~slices , on block you have nothing to wory about, i explain why a few posts back, his d1 is 7 frame d3 is 6 frame by the way

on the patience thing,in the sub vs raka match u really have to be,your focus needs to be like a laser beam,
its kind of like a chess game in a way, who plays there life lead better and such

1man3letters

Dude I'm embarrassed as fuck I was talking about a completely different string in the last post, I meant 1,2,1 LMFAO! I won't edit it out to hide my stupidity.

But I DO 2,1 slices and 2,1,2 for pressure on the ground. 2,1, slices works really good for me.
its ok bro i forgive ya ;)