What's new

Match-up Discussion Baraka Match Up Discussion

Faded Dreams V

Retired June 2012. Unretired June 2013.
A. Does Baraka ever use regular blade charge? lmao
It either hits me while I'm blocking or catches me during a projectile/ice clone ... I don't think anyone has ever whiffed a blade charge on me.
You have to work on your spacing. Check his meter to make sure he doesn't have enough for an EX. If he does, well, this is the part where you have to be patient and not throw predictable ice clones or ice balls. If you have gdlk reactions, you can NJP it from across the screen. lol. I don't know if this would work, but maybe a well-time ice clone from full screen would make it whiff since Sub-Zero jumps backwards.

B. Good to know, but how can you catch him on wakeup doing one of those moves? I mean, you have to be pretty far out for blade charge not to be able to hit you. So, I wouldn't think you'd have time to punish a wakeup spin if you are respecting charge... It just hit me... DUH, when trying to rush him down after a knock down, run up and block then punish his wakeup! wow, I'm dumb. lol
Just step back a bit. If any of the wakeups miss, shoot an ice ball. You have to anticipate a Blade Charge. If he has meter, he will probably do it in anticipation of an ice clone, so you can jump up.

E&F. That's what I thought, but the impatience kills me. :(
You need to be patient if you wanna perform well with Kenshi. That's what zoning is all about. Otherwise, you're just spamming. lol.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
on d1/d3~slices , on block you have nothing to wory about, i explain why a few posts back, his d1 is 7 frame d3 is 6 frame by the way
About the forum thing, yeah sorry if it cluttered it up but... remember, I fail at patience. ;)

So to beat D1 slices (with sub-zero) I could 22 freeze? Since 2 in 9 frames?
and D3 slices would be beat with D3 or D4?

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
About the forum thing, yeah sorry if it cluttered it up but... remember, I fail at patience. ;)

I believe he could still d1 after the slices. Like I said slices is safe on block, not punishable. You could try to low poke him out of it though. Or back dash, that would work as well.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
You have to work on your spacing. Check his meter to make sure he doesn't have enough for an EX. If he does, well, this is the part where you have to be patient and not throw predictable ice clones or ice balls. If you have gdlk reactions, you can NJP it from across the screen. lol. I don't know if this would work, but maybe a well-time ice clone from full screen would make it whiff since Sub-Zero jumps backwards.
lol, well I'm not throwing out ice clones at full screen. I'm not that dumb. So I need to just sit there in crouch block or NJP from full screen? wow.

You need to be patient if you wanna perform well with Kenshi. That's what zoning is all about. Otherwise, you're just spamming. lol.
I play everyone bass ackwards ... meaning rushdown when they are supposed to stay away. lol

I like getting in and doing 114 rising karma, D3 D3 close down slash, 21B2, etc

I'll just have to work on that.

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
if the d1/d3 is blocked the slices is interuptable,
im not saying anyone should be doing it 10 out of 10 times but there is a gap to try exploit

VOR

Noob
Baraka is a character that can make someone learn better fundamentals when you play against one. I've noticed that a lot of people who are inexperienced against one will play a somewhat careless rushdown heavy game, since they don't know the matchup. Someone not accustomed to using a lot of zoning might at first be uncomfortable playing against him. But no, you can't just waltz right in there with Kenshi and not eat a spin or some other simple move. Key things to work on fighting a Baraka are zoning, interrupting slices, poking at and baiting spin.

And keeping on your toes with the frametraps.

WayoftheFist

Cold day in hell...
So apparently, I can't beat this dude with any character. Sub-Zero, Kenshi, Kung Lao ... have all fallen to this guy.

And it's just THREE moves... spark, charge, and spin.

;asdlifha;oih <------ that's my brain when I fight this character.

what do you do!?!
With Sub Zero you can make him regret any of those moves. The clone is still huge in this matchup if you do it at the right time. I suggest not ending your combo strings with slide so that you can have the extra time and distance to get your clone up and still be blocking when the charge comes in. If he uses the EX, even if he hits you he has burned a bar of his meter so all is not lost. Be very patient and keep up clones when you can safely do so. Iceball zoning from behind the clone is fine if you have burned his meter, and in the case of him throwing a spark I wouldn't slide it but rather try to read the Baraka player and bait a trade with an iceball for a combo and another setup. Conserve your meter and try to make him burn his. That iceball trade can force him to break. If he whiffs a spin full combo punish, and I've successfully baited out spins by dashing like I intend to pressure then simply doing a clone backwards (simple gimmick that I don't suggest against a good player but a guy using only 3 moves will probably fall for it everytime and whiff the spin). Play safe footsies with this character and you will beat him, especially if he is using just three moves. Some of the guys on this forum can get around subs tools I'm sure but if he is using 3 special moves then you should have him easy.

Zoidberg747

As most of you know me and 1man3letters were picked to be the Baraka reps for the community matchup chart. Well, considering we are doing this FOR you guys, I wanted to sort of share what are chart looks like so far. Realize that the system that is probably going to be used is the .5s system, so that is what I have mine as.

If you want explanations or have questions, feel free to post and I will address them promptly.

Scorpion: 4-6
Liu Kang: 4.5-5.5
Kung Lao: 4-6
Sub Zero: 4.5-5.5
Sindel: 5-5
Ermac: 5-5
Reptile: 4-6
Kitana: 4-6
JC: 4-6
Jade: 6-4
Mileena: 5-5
Nightwolf: 4.5-5.5
Cyrax: 4-6
Noob: 4.5-5.5
Smoke: 4-6
Sektor: 4.5-5.5
Sonya: 4-6
Jax: 4-6
Kano: 5-5
Stryker: 4.5-5.5
Shang: 4.5-5.5
Kabal: 3.5-6.5
Raiden: 4-6
Sheeva: 6-4
Quan Chi: 5-5
Cyber sub: 5-5
Kenshi: 3.5-6.5
Rain: 4-6
Freddy: 3.5-6.5
Skarlett: 4-6

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
Play safe footsies with this character and you will beat him, especially if he is using just three moves. Some of the guys on this forum can get around subs tools I'm sure but if he is using 3 special moves then you should have him easy.
I think I should have clarified this whole "three moves" thing...

The Baraka's I've played aren't JUST using those three moves, but it's those three moves that prevent me from winning or getting anything started against him.

Nevertheless, thanks for the advice. :)

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
I meant I have the same exact problem fighting Baraka but I use Kabal, lol. I was also just wondering if you wanted to get some games in later. I've been wanting to fight your Sub for awhile now.
Pretty sure I've played you before, but we can if you want.

I'll be on some time in the AM lol

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
I actually think Sub beats Baraka. Maybe you need to learn the MU a bit better.
I know I do, that's why I'm asking for help. There are few baraka's out there, so it's hard to get a lot of experience, but when one comes up in ranked, I just get destroyed.

Miss Kanzuki

*KANZUKI GOON SQUAD*
As weird as it sounds, I'm relieved to see Raka-Scorp as 4-6, I thought I saw it as 6-4 somewhere and I felt silly getting blown up because it's "wtf I'm supposed to be able to beat Scorp!" >.<

Unless it's a typo and it is supposed to be 6-4, then I'm gonna feel real stupid! lol

Zoidberg747

As weird as it sounds, I'm relieved to see Raka-Scorp as 4-6, I thought I saw it as 6-4 somewhere and I felt silly getting blown up because it's "wtf I'm supposed to be able to beat Scorp!" >.<

Unless it's a typo and it is supposed to be 6-4, then I'm gonna feel real stupid! lol
It is 4-6. The best you can do is space him out and try and make him make mistakes. A whiffed spear or blocked teleport is full combo punishable and can set you up for frametraps. The problem is his hellfire forces Baraka to not stay grounded(which he almost always should do) and off of a wrong blade charge Scorpion can 1,1,1 spear into his vortex.

WayoftheFist

Cold day in hell...
I think I should have clarified this whole "three moves" thing...

The Baraka's I've played aren't JUST using those three moves, but it's those three moves that prevent me from winning or getting anything started against him.

Nevertheless, thanks for the advice. :)
No worries. It still comes down to safe footsies to outmaneuver Baraka in my opinion. I've noticed with Sub Zero most matcups come down to whether or not he can control space better than his opponent, and in my opinion Baraka is one of the characters he can do that to.

VOR

Noob
The chart looks about right.

I like the Sindel 5-5, his resets help him.

I think the Quan Chi matchup is right, but he does really kill Baraka building meter, tilting the matchup slightly I think. Isn't his projectile way better too?

I do like slight adv. for Noob if played with good fundamentals.

Vs. Cyber Sub, I agree with the 5-5 though I did hear Pig OTH say CSZ was his anti-baraka for NEC. I didn't get it. Cyber does have to take a lot of risks to get in I think in this one. Plus frametrap city. Or just parking yourself far away. Baraka with a life lead makes it hard for Cyber I think.

What are the thoughts on the Nightwolf matchup? His axe being so damn good?

Rain's armor is a real bitch.

The Liu Kang mu I thought was just 4-6. What's the reason for him not to just play his game?

All and all, I do agree that Sheeva is the worst.