What's new

Match-up Discussion Baraka Match Up Discussion

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
If you're trying to play Baraka like he's a straight rushdown character, you lose. Bad.
extremely true!

when your main frame traps/blockstrings are off a 23 and 24 frame move,complete rushdown aint good idea
and d1~slices/spin all day wont do the rushdown job either

still disapointed havnt seen your raka in action yet, i dig your theory on the char

Death

Noob
yeah perm is in my clan. Probably one of the best barakas around. I know this matchup very well. Its 5-5 or 5.5-4.5 Mileena. But im more comfortable labeling it as 5-5.

1man3letters

yeah perm is in my clan. Probably one of the best barakas around. I know this matchup very well. Its 5-5 or 5.5-4.5 Mileena. But im more comfortable labeling it as 5-5.
he should get himself out to some tournies then and rep that raka :evil:

XxSYNDROISxX

For the Shokan since Mk3
What are Baraka frame traps i mostly use his mix ups and resets but its would be good to add that to my game plan :)

1man3letters

What are Baraka frame traps i mostly use his mix ups and resets but its would be good to add that to my game plan :)
this is the matchup discussion thread?????? :(

there is a sticked guide with this information,ask baraka thread with alot information and a very detailed frame data thread

read!!!

22 1+2 and u3 are his main two , (there is a whole thread on u3)

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
had shang forum open same time as raka,got confused,my bad
but the part the you could of posted in the baraka matchup thread is this valid though :top:
im on your list since whenever ya added me from playing before,dunno when

b2 chop chop????? you mean f2 chop chop?
and when you say safe to poke, in what situation? what strings? you not giving very much detail to try help you with
if a player can poke out,its not the matchup anyone with 6/7 frames move can poke you
if your blocking low all day your going to eat alot of rakas overheads,hes more than just his low starter

the hit/block information on d3 is not known yet so cant help you on that,sorry

try talking raka into training mode to get more of a sense how his strings link
if ya want the short version, after a blocked 22 1+2 unless ya throwing out a armor move dont do anything and predict the mixup
same with a blocked u3

hope ya helps
Yeah,i wanna know which strings let me counter pressure/get out,i've found that my f4 gs gets poked easily.

after 22 12 am i forced to block the f4 4?that move always gets me.

after which string should i block?

also after a cancelled b3 and then crossup should i try to d1 it?i'm finding it kinda risky seeing as i can be reset into the same situation with a crapton of less hp.

What would make this situation ok is if i could actually jump,sometimes he dashes to me to combo,sometimes he jumps,the inconsistency makes it hard for me to AA on reaction and unfortunately i can't do the same.

also if i keep the pressure up once i've gained momentum then most of my tools are cut off,f4 i'll retry but as i said i get poked outa the frametrap,upskulls are severely punishable,the only safe option i have is soulsteal because it tends to bait a jump.

one more thing,how the hell do i punish that blade charge?

1man3letters

sry im new to this site
yea man no need to say sorry,we'll always try help another raka out,were ya from?

if you go through the baraka discussion/guide and the u3 thread i think you'll find all your after
and if ya dont understand something just ask :cheers:
you on xbl or psn by the way??

1man3letters

Yeah,i wanna know which strings let me counter pressure/get out,i've found that my f4 gs gets poked easily.

after 22 12 am i forced to block the f4 4?that move always gets me.

after which string should i block?

also after a cancelled b3 and then crossup should i try to d1 it?i'm finding it kinda risky seeing as i can be reset into the same situation with a crapton of less hp.

What would make this situation ok is if i could actually jump,sometimes he dashes to me to combo,sometimes he jumps,the inconsistency makes it hard for me to AA on reaction and unfortunately i can't do the same.

also if i keep the pressure up once i've gained momentum then most of my tools are cut off,f4 i'll retry but as i said i get poked outa the frametrap,upskulls are severely punishable,the only safe option i have is soulsteal because it tends to bait a jump.

one more thing,how the hell do i punish that blade charge?
ok alot of stuff there..

1.check out the baraka frame data to know what is punishable,if f4 gs keeps gettin poked maybe your using it to much an are becoming easy to read,mix it up with finishing the f4,3,4 string instead,like i said if your gettin poked anyone can poke u,not just raka

2.unless u use armor yes u must block it

3.again the frame data thread will help you out there

4.canceling b3 into what?? if u mean just b3 then crossing you up,the you opp mixing u up

5.again that is your opp mixing it up,there is no solution besides to make your own reads,i take it your playin online also so incosistency is what online mk is so no matchup knowledge will help that

6.im not as well versed in shang to tell you how to pressure raka,shang has much better normals/rushdown/damage output than baraka i can say that

7.there was a thread made about punishing charge if ya wana get it out,
bascially if you aint baraka yourself or soul steal raka you aint punishing a rightly spaced charge,if its done up close,you'll have more than enough time to punish as its -21 frames on block

again im sure a shang player might be more help to you but all i can do is give my tarkatan point of view

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
ok alot of stuff there..

1.check out the baraka frame data to know what is punishable,if f4 gs keeps gettin poked maybe your using it to much an are becoming easy to read,mix it up with finishing the f4,3,4 string instead,like i said if your gettin poked anyone can poke u,not just raka

2.unless u use armor yes u must block it

3.again the frame data thread will help you out there

4.canceling b3 into what?? if u mean just b3 then crossing you up,the you opp mixing u up

5.again that is your opp mixing it up,there is no solution besides to make your own reads,i take it your playin online also so incosistency is what online mk is so no matchup knowledge will help that

6.im not as well versed in shang to tell you how to pressure raka,shang has much better normals/rushdown/damage output than baraka i can say that

7.there was a thread made about punishing charge if ya wana get it out,
bascially if you aint baraka yourself or soul steal raka you aint punishing a rightly spaced charge,if its done up close,you'll have more than enough time to punish as its -21 frames on block

again im sure a shang player might be more help to you but all i can do is give my tarkatan point of view
Thanks,one last thing,does baraka have any pokes that give him a free string?as in if sub d4's at close range he gets free 21 pressure,if shang d3/4s at close range he gets free upskull pressure,etc.

1man3letters

Thanks,one last thing,does baraka have any pokes that give him a free string?as in if sub d4's at close range he gets free 21 pressure,if shang d3/4s at close range he gets free upskull pressure,etc.
again the raka frame data thread will help you there
yes there are a few on hit things that give free string attempt...d4(on hit) to dash f4,4 main one to watch for

1man3letters

i need help with kabals rush down tatics any advice welcomed
need a bit more detail than that,which parts are u having trouble dealings with?
if its his dash cancels,a well timed poke (down1,down3) is your answer or just ex charge if you got the meter
if u have a look through last page or so of this thread you'll find a method i posted to chop chop him out of ex dash,yes the ex one :evilgrin1:

kabal is one of barakas worst matchups....if not the worst

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Many people may have noticed that Baraka is being thrown around in a lot of bottom 5 lists lately, and one of the reasons is because he currently loses to most of the top tier cast that is played at tournaments. To Kombat this, I am going to list each one of his bad matchups and how to deal with them(Wont be done in one go, obviously). If you have anything you would like to add or a matchup you think is either is missing or doesnt deserve to be up here post up.

First off a list of his bad matchups:
Freddy Krueger
Jax
Johnny Cage
Kabal
Kenshi
Kitana
Kung Lao
Raiden
Sonya

Freddy Krueger- The problem with Freddy is he can completely zone Baraka out with full screen frame traps. The first thing to realize is that he CANNOT EX bade charge through Freddy's zoning(when done correctly). That means you have to be patient and dash block forward until you are in range for a blade charge. If Freddy teleports, blade charge will hit him. If Freddy goes into NMS it will hit him. And once you have Freddy up close KEEP HIM THERE. Abuse D4, frametraps, d1 slices and corner pressure to beat Freddy. This is about being patient and keeping Freddy as close as possible.

Kabal- This is of course, one of Baraka's worst matchups. You have to play SAFE. If the Kabal player is iaGBing all over the place, the best thing to do is dash block until you have at least one bar of meter. Once you have that choose the best time to EX blade charge. If it hits, dash more toward the corner. At this point you have to watch out for an EX dash because you will then be in the corner. If you get Kabal cornered keep the pressure with resets obviously. If the Kabal is playing more rushdown and mixing in dash cancels, throw out a couple of d1's and when they hit immediately do slices. Once again abuse D4 when you are in range to keep him in check. NEVER throw out random blade charges because that is punished by dash and a 20-30% combo into reset.

Kenshi- This requires as much patience as the Kabal matchup. Dash blocking is key here, and getting in. Blade charge can be punished by spirit charge, so dont throw to many of those around. If you get meter, and his back is almost to the corner, EX blade charge any of his tele-flurries to get him backed into the corner. Once there punish tele-flurry with blade charge, or rising karma with blade charge. Spirit charge is safe on block I believe, so watch out for that. Once you get him in the corner he doesnt have too much to help him. Use your pressure and resets to win the round. Blade spark is too risky because it is punished by tele-flurry. D4 can keep him at bay for a while, but if you get out of range he can spirit charge.

Raiden-This is a very interesting matchup in my opinion. Baraka's corner game is good, but I avoid it against Raiden, unless I have a life lead and I'm going for the kill. Be careful and don't overuse anything. Keep as unpredictable and on your toes as a good Raiden's teleport can be. Do some turtling, and make them play overly aggressive. One thing against Raiden, is that you know they are going to teleport, so it is possible to utilize reverse inputs if you are careful. For example f4 is b4 when he teleports, so it's possible to catch him with a sweep or knee if you're ready for teleport. Figure out which moves are safe to some degree in the reverse direction also. It sounds risky, but some success with it will get inside their head. When they start to adjust to this, be ready for them to start baiting this from you and react accordingly. This sounds crazy perhaps, but I have had a little success with throwing out a spark and catching them with a charge on the other side or vice versa. Be careful with it though lol. I have fought 2 very good Raidens offline and these are some things I've noticed.

Im tired now but ill try to finish tomorrow. Let me know if you want stuff added.

1man3letters

i think we have some form of tarkatan physic link as ya seem to post things im working on in private myself lol

i cant reply as long as id like to this as my internet still down,in mates house at min and we heading out in a few, i have ALOT to say about this though so ill wait till i have time to write a long reply

but for the moment i would say a few char u mentioned there arnt really "bad" matchups for raka, sure raka might be at a disadvantage but they arent "bad" matchups imo

ps,just a little something on sonya,kabal...dont reset them if they have a bar unless your doing it to bail ex dash,ex cartwheel becuase if u do anything after a reset against them thats generally what will happen...take your damage and react to there wakeups

VOR

Noob
Cage- Keep that bitch out! Zone him. They are slightly similar characters, but Baraka's bad zoning can keep out Cage's terrible zoning. play safe and force him to come to you. Go for the damage, not resets, in combos and just know Cage's frame advantages. This matchup could be close to even if done right.

Raiden-This is a very interesting matchup in my opinion. Baraka's corner game is good, but I avoid it against Raiden, unless I have a life lead and I'm going for the kill. Be careful and don't overuse anything. Keep as unpredictable and on your toes as a good Raiden's teleport can be. Do some turtling, and make them play overly aggressive. One thing against Raiden, is that you know they are going to teleport, so it is possible to utilize reverse inputs if you are careful. For example f4 is b4 when he teleports, so it's possible to catch him with a sweep or knee if you're ready for teleport. Figure out which moves are safe to some degree in the reverse direction also. It sounds risky, but some success with it will get inside their head. When they start to adjust to this, be ready for them to start baiting this from you and react accordingly. This sounds crazy perhaps, but I have had a little success with throwing out a spark and catching them with a charge on the other side or vice versa. Be careful with it though lol. I have fought 2 very good Raidens offline and these are some things I've noticed.

Just as bad as any other Raiden matchup lol

Feel free to debate and discuss