What's new

Bad cops killing people again! (RIP John Crawford)

SHAOLIN

内部冲突
i give up on humanity.

*Opens up space shuttle* Where would you like to go?

This was a bad shoot. Period. Race SHOULD have little to do with it. More than likely we have a young officer who was too scared and made a poor choice.

Given the footage I have seen I would not have shot, however I don't know what the officer was told prior to his arrival or what words were exchanged between him and the armed subject, and I cannot stand Monday Arm Chair Quarterbacking.
Thanks for the assessment and also what's Monday Arm Chair Quarterbacking? Is that a Police Officer term?

OG Mannimal

OG "OG Mannimal" Mannimal
I was wondering when somebody was gonna claim "not all cops".

I swear, that train is never late.

Also lol at assuming only black people are in gangs.
Do you honestly believe that the majority of cops are shooting innocent people? Like obviously the ideal number is 0%, but I'm curious to as to what you think it is.

I watched it. I'm not at all justifying the actions that the officer took. But if I walked into a gas station with a pellet gun, what do you think would happen? I hope the officer gets charged with murder, I really do. But all these stories do is incite ignorance and hatred. Being angry at the cop is not unreasonable, but there are thousands of events that occur every single day where it's a black dude killing a white dude, or a mexican killing an asian, all based on hate. Just half the time it doesn't make a good news story.
OFC it makes a better story, a police officer is supposed to protect citizens and uphold the law, not mow someone down under the flimsiest pretext with little to no fear of reprecussion. Anyone who's human should be at least a little outraged by this.

OFC it makes a better story, a police officer is supposed to protect citizens and uphold the law, not mow someone down under the flimsiest pretext with little to no fear of reprecussion. Anyone who's human should be at least a little outraged by this.
I totally think it's unfair that this man died for no reason, and the officer probably won't be held accountable. It's fucked up, but it's the world we live in. An officer however, doesn't have time to decide if someone's a threat or not. If you're walking around a supermarket aisle, with what appears to be a firearm in your hand, don't act surprised if somebody calls the cops on you. Granted, the officer should have at least yelled for the man to put the thing down and talk it out, but when you're in that situation, all politics, protocol, blah blah blah, gets replaced with pure adrenaline. Because you're thinking, "oh shit this dude is armed, he might turn around and shoot me in the face before I can react." You don't have time to sit there and determine if the weapon is fake. My question is why did he have a pellet gun that wasn't like in the package? You can see it in the video, like maybe somebody returned it and it never got repackaged, that's just stupid on Wal-Mart's part.

Shaazzyam

undefeated online evo champion
Do you honestly believe that the majority of cops are shooting innocent people? Like obviously the ideal number is 0%, but I'm curious to as to what you think it is.
A better question would be: Do you honestly think police brutality, which is rampant nationwide, isn't prevalent against minorities? Or that race has nothing to do with situations like these?

I don't understand people who feel the need to come in threads like these say "Not all cops", then peace out. As if that has anything do with anything.

OG Mannimal

OG "OG Mannimal" Mannimal
A better question would be: Do you honestly think police brutality, which is rampant nationwide, isn't prevalent against minorities? Or that race has nothing to do with situations like these?

I don't understand people who feel the need to come in threads like these say "Not all cops", then peace out. As if that has anything do with anything.
I don't think anyone thinks that except for Mitt Romney

I 100% agree with you here, but how exactly do you regulate police brutality? Sure you can start holding them accountable, make them serve life sentences for wrongful deaths etc. That's how it SHOULD be in my book, but at the same time the ugly serpent rears its head of "well now police are going to be afraid to assert deadly force at the fear of being thrown in prison". There's a lot of grey area when it comes to situations like this.

Shaazzyam

I 100% agree with you here, but how exactly do you regulate police brutality? Sure you can start holding them accountable, make them serve life sentences for wrongful deaths etc. That's how it SHOULD be in my book, but at the same time the ugly serpent rears its head of "well now police are going to be afraid to assert deadly force at the fear of being thrown in prison". There's a lot of grey area when it comes to situations like this.
Easy.

Cops should be mandated to wear cameras at all times.

That's how it SHOULD be in my book, but at the same time the ugly serpent rears its head of "well now police are going to be afraid to assert deadly force at the fear of being thrown in prison".
So? They should be terrified to use deadly force and only as a last resort. If more police officers were held accountable for their actions we would have less situations like say...a police officer shooting an unarmed man in a walmart (just off the top of my head).

Edit: And he was unarmed...he dropped the gun before he was fired on, you can see in the video and that article zoidberg posted.

Kitana Prime

Top-tier at everything but the characters I choose
I'm now another 5% sure I'm getting shot at whichever MKX midnight release I attend somewhere.

Only because I'm getting more and more afraid to even BE NEAR an on duty police officer. There's no way to tell which ones are 'good' or at least work by the books, to be fair. I live in a terrible neighborhood and I'm infinitely less afraid of the possible EVERYDAY dangers I could face.

What's it gonna take?

Fractured_Shadow

Really likes to throw things at you.
Thanks for the assessment and also what's Monday Arm Chair Quarterbacking? Is that a Police Officer term?
No it is a football (American) term. It means to take an in depth look at, break down, interpret, and judge the actions that a man had seconds to make over the span of a week.

It is very very very easy to look at situations where your life is not on the line and make better, more well informed, desicions. It is much harder to make a desicion when your life is (or precieved to be) on the line.

Most people cannot make the calls a quarterback makes but on Monday everyone and their mom will say that in X situation the WOULD have made Y choice, which simply isnt true because most people dont know how they would react in high stress situations.

With alllll thay being said, I highly HIGHLY doubt that officer woke up in the morning and decided he was going to kill a black youth. ESPECIALLY with what is currently going on in America NOBODY wants to be "that officer."

It is not like this guy is just gonna go about his life. This will most likely kill his career.

Now to address everyone who is confused as to why he was No Billed on Murder. Murder shows intent. The intent of the officer was most likley self preservation and not malociousness. It is very hard to judge police of murder because our job requires us to interact with situations such as this one.

So? They should be terrified to use deadly force and only as a last resort. If more police officers were held accountable for their actions we would have less situations like say...a police officer shooting an unarmed man in a walmart (just off the top of my head).
Then when that happens, turns out the dude had a real gun, shoots the officer dead.

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
Easy.

Cops should be mandated to wear cameras at all times.
Not sure how affective that would actually be. With all the drone bullshit going on it would probably be more affective to watch cops from the sky than to put a cam on the cop.

Shaazzyam

I actually heard that officers in Ferguson are now required to wear helmet cams now, it's a good idea. Might cost a little more in taxes but definitely worth it.
The solution is a no-brainer. The public complains about officers lying or covering up abuse, having encounters on camera should put a dent in that. Officers complain that civilian videos and the media don't tell the whole story and that they're being persecuted for justified actions, having encounters on camera should prevent that.

Everyone should be in favor of it. Funnily enough, some departments don't see it that way. I wonder why.

Amplified$hotz

I like Tekken 8
No it is a football (American) term. It means to take an in depth look at, break down, interpret, and judge the actions that a man had seconds to make over the span of a week.

It is very very very easy to look at situations where your life is not on the line and make better, more well informed, desicions. It is much harder to make a desicion when your life is (or precieved to be) on the line.

Most people cannot make the calls a quarterback makes but on Monday everyone and their mom will say that in X situation the WOULD have made Y choice, which simply isnt true because most people dont know how they would react in high stress situations.

With alllll thay being said, I highly HIGHLY doubt that officer woke up in the morning and decided he was going to kill a black youth. ESPECIALLY with what is currently going on in America NOBODY wants to be "that officer."

It is not like this guy is just gonna go about his life. This will most likely kill his career.

Now to address everyone who is confused as to why he was No Billed on Murder. Murder shows intent. The intent of the officer was most likley self preservation and not malociousness. It is very hard to judge police of murder because our job requires us to interact with situations such as this one.
Man being a cop put into that situation must suck hard. Just a question, why not take non lethal shots? Are they hard or...

The solution is a no-brainer. The public complains about officers lying or covering up abuse, having encounters on camera should put a dent in that. Officers complain that civilian videos and the media don't tell the whole story and that they're being persecuted for justified actions, having encounters on camera should prevent that.

Everyone should be in favor of it. Funnily enough, some departments don't see it that way. I wonder why.
The only thing I can think of is simply cost. An entire police force armed with cameras, most likely shooting HD video, storage, would be a somewhat hefty expenditure that would most likely fall back on the tax payers.