What's new

Accepting the New Kast

Maasik

Noob
All of the new characters so far look awesome and I'm hyped to see what NRS has in store. I'll be happy with any and everything, but I reeaaally want a ninja grappler.. that's what would really put me through the roof.

zerosebaz

What's the point of a random Krypt?
One of my greatest fears with the idea of a new generation of characters is the replacement of some of the old ones, that meaning not just taking an old character spot, but acquiring his gameplay and continuing their story, the way Soul Calibur did with some characters, most notably in its last edition. I've been thinking about it, and realized that the MK Team has done nothing to support that fear. I've said it before, Cassie might be there instead of Sonya, and you can see some of Sonya's "influence" in her, but they play differently, and share no moves at all. That is the same for all the new characters shown for MKX and is actually true for all new MK characters in any game besides one, Jarek (Kira is debatable), who did get his own move set and story (lame as it was) in MKA. Yes, we might get replacement characters like Kai was a replacement for Kung Lao in MK4, but besides both being Liu Kangs sidekick, they share no similarities at all, not in their aesthetic, gameplay, personality, story, or motivation. The same can be said for Tanya, who was conceived to replace Kitana as the developers thought they needed more new characters, so she took the roster spot, but those two could not be more further apart. This kind of approach allows us to get new characters that are actually new in all aspects, characters that are more true to themselves because they are not created to imitate someone else, they are just meant to replace them. It also allows us to have hope on seeing the old characters again in the future, maybe in the next game or even as DLC, because the new might take an old character spot, but they are not taking its role in the series, neither from a storyline nor gameplay perspective.

I have found that "realization" to be really comforting in regards to the worries I had for the MKX roster, and I hope it might help other people to feel the same way.

PD: I still dislike the bug lady, and I will never stop saying she looks like a Mass Effect character.

Last edited:

Ninj

Where art thou, MKX Skarlet?
I've been seeing a ton of hate, doubt, disliking for the fact that probably about half of the Mortal Kombat X cast are going to be brand new characters introduced to the series.

It's a bit scary, I understand, but Boon never fails to deliver.

A point I brought in earlier is that our favorite MK veteran characters were at one point new characters themselves.
We should give the newbies a chance and I'm pretty sure we're going to end up liking them or at least accepting them into the series.

Boon himself stated that a large number of Kombatants are going to be new, but I have faith in the game.
Sure, I wanted to see Nitara and Kira, but I'm pretty sure MKX is going to turn out fine.

Who knows, we might fall in love with one of the newer ones in place of our current favs

Let's not forget about DLC possibilities.
(the rumor goes 16 veterans and 14 new ones are going to make up the roster of 30)
perhaps a large majority of the DLC will be some our favorites who didn't make the original cut!!

Just trying to keep people positive!
You're also assuming Boon isn't trolling us (which I know he's never done ;))

I suspect he is trolling us and "most" of the kast will be characters we know. I also suspect the 3 new characters we've seen so far are many of the completely new characters.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart

I suspect he is trolling us and "most" of the kast will be characters we know. I also suspect the 3 new characters we've seen so far are many of the completely new characters.
The art director also said that there was a shit ton of new characters.

Just sayin.

Decay

King of the Bill
I'm very accepting of the new cast. Basically so far what has been shown is what I've been hoping mkx would be, and that includes character archetypes. Everyone in mk9 has a similar physical build and jump and projectiles. I want to see what nrs did with injustice, and include characters that are pure grapplers without projectiles, or very quick small characters with better speed. I think it helps diversify the game and keep it interesting. Quite frankly the already established characters are known for their fighting style and special moves, so in order to bring in these archetypes, there must be new characters who enter the fray. That's why we see a character like Ferra/torr, because nrs wanted to have that type of character but couldn't justify turning someone in their already established lore into it. I think it's a great thing we get new characters because it's more than just new faces, it's new play styles that weren't available in mk9

Everyone hopes their favorite character/s are in, but some of us will be disappoint.....I am looking forward to new characters though. I like what I have seen so far except for the ogre lookin guy with the small thing riding on its back >.> not my style

I'm pretty sure he isn't trolling :p

gosoxtim

Noob

vegeta

Saiyan Prince
Good thing about Maining a character that is also boons favorite character is that I've only been let down one time with him not being in a game (vanilla MK3) that being scorpion who ive used since MK1. Anyone else is only my secondary. Regardless I've learned that change happens so we'll see how new characters turn out. Perhaps we'll get more variety in playstyles or rather "something different". So far out of the new characters Cassie caught my interest. I'm just looking forward to the game as a whole

Ermac better be in it , but since that concept art circulating around the internet of that character looking like Scarecrow with sould around confirms he's in. And Reptile also, I should have mained him in MK9.
Thats not concept art man. far too many people have a misunderstanding of what concept art is. Most concept art never see the light of day. They are quick, gestural,variation,and just gets the idea across. then they are put away and never seen again. the ''concept'' you are referring to is just fan art from NRS's character modeler. That's all it is. His personal vision of Ermac. A full final 3d sculpt with photoshop painting and composition layered over it. So it's fully polished badass personal artwork that was done months ago. Even if Ermac were to be in, this ''concept'' wouldn't be available to the public until well after this game's release possibly toward the end of the game's life.

VenomX-90

"On your Knees!"
Thats not concept art man. far too many people have a misunderstanding of what concept art is. Most concept art never see the light of day. They are quick, gestural,variation,and just gets the idea across. then they are put away and never seen again. the ''concept'' you are referring to is just fan art from NRS's character modeler. That's all it is. His personal vision of Ermac. A full final 3d sculpt with photoshop painting and composition layered over it. So it's fully polished badass personal artwork that was done months ago. Even if Ermac were to be in, this ''concept'' wouldn't be available to the public until well after this game's release possibly toward the end of the game's life.
Yeah, just like unlocks in the Krypt.

9_Lives

Noob
Thoughts on NEW characters at the moment:

-I freakin' love Ferra/Torr. Hoping clutch players like Tyrant pick them up.
-D'Vorrah is pretty cool. Loses points since Sadira came out just before her, but she's more of a wasp chick while Sadira is more of a spider chick so...
-Kotal is awesome from what I've seen. I like the way they show his variants with the tattoos changing color. And his grabs look hype.
-Cassie Cage mainly gets points for story originality and my curiosity in how her playstyle will be with Cage/Sonya mesh. Appearance<remarkable #JillValentineRE5

Thoughts on RETURNING characters:

Glad they had Sub and Scorpion back. Looking forward to making money in SubvsScorp rival match when the game first hits.

If the rumors are true and there will only be 8 from original game, then here are my
speculations on returning characters. This is out of characters who survived the previous game, so I'm going to guess that's what we'll be looking at, and I'm okay with that.
Quan Chi
Raiden
One robot ninja, probably Cyrax (sad because I liked Sektor more)
Gonna go with Reptile out of other ninjas, probably no others...except maybe Ermac
One outworld lackey, probably Baraka since no one likes Sheeva really.
Either Sonya or Cage, probably not Sonya with Cassie in.

Out of newish games, I'm going to go with:
Fujin
Shinnok
Tanya (hopefully to compensate loss of Kitana/Jade and most likely by extension Mileena)
Kenshi
Havik
Hotaru
Bo Rai Cho
I don't know...Rain? Pikachu?

Worst case scenario, I do this up like the new pokemon games. Find someone I liked from the old games and kill the crap out of everyone I don't like in the new games. XP

9_Lives

Noob
Skarlet kills Quan Chi at the end of her story mode. Whether that holds or not is still questionable, but there you have that.
I don't believe they will take Skarlet's ending into account for the story of the next game. But that's an interesting point. I think the whole thing where he grabs the amulet at the end and talks to Shinnok makes him too important for the next game. I'm thinking they're going to go off of the story that played out in the story mode more than going off of arcade endings I'm afraid.

Deyrax

Skarlet who ?
Skarlet kills Quan Chi at the end of her story mode. Whether that holds or not is still questionable, but there you have that.
Since when an ending of some nobody DLC character has weight ? End of story mode says hi.

Since when an ending of some nobody DLC character has weight ? End of story mode says hi.
Scorpion might have some competition when he discovers that Quan Chi was behind the destruction of his clan and family all along.
Who will kill Quantum: Scorpion or Skarlet? Depends if Skarlet is in, but I doubt she was created for MK9 as DLC only to be thrown away for the next installment. I think her gameplay would look amazing on the new generation of consoles.

Ninj

Where art thou, MKX Skarlet?
Some nobody DLC?

Ermac was a joke before he became a real character. ERROR MACRO.

Skarlet was an lolpalletteswap of Kitana before she finally became real.

No reason to think she isn't real and that her story could be real.