What's new

Accepting the New Kast

Johnny2d

Xbl: Johnny2Die
I've been finding that I have just as much fun, or more fun playing and watching new characters in the current generation of fighting games.

a. Skarlet main in Mk9
b. Love watching what Justin and Ricky do with Rufus
c. Love Hakan!!! Love Hakan!!! Love Hakan!!! He's so amazing I had to say it 3 times

So I don't know, Mk is special for those of us that have been playing it for 20+ years, we want our stuff, but the new stuff coming out in games is just as good and better in some cases, and like it was said in OP, we should hope for our new favorite characters of all time.

SkaGoogle

Tailgates & Tan-lines !
I honestly don't know what you guys expected, I mean before the new characters were revealed a lot of you were just asking for an updated version of MK9. Innovation is good, we get to see some returning characters, some new, and some returning that weren't in MK9.

ForeverKing

Patreon.com/MK_ForeverKing
I've been seeing a ton of hate, doubt, disliking for the fact that probably about half of the Mortal Kombat X cast are going to be brand new characters introduced to the series.
I wouldn't mind at all if half the cast were brand new characters and half the cast were returning veterans.

What I'm scared of is that only like 4-5 characters are going to be returning veterans and like 20-25 characters are going to be brand new lol

The problem with the new characters is that, in a roster about the same size as MK9, they're replacing old favorites.

NRS isn't easing the transition on us. They're saying "here's our new characters. Your old favorites are gone. Deal with it".
It is quite unfortunate.

And it is a real ballsy move from NRS.

The latest rumor is that only 8 characters from MK9 are back and we already know two of them. Sub and Scorpion.
That means that, atleast for me, I will see old favorites dropped. Ermac, Smoke, Rain, Reptile, Baraka, Shang Tsung, Liu Kang, Raiden (heavily hinted at to be in), Kung Lao, Johnny Cage, Kano, Sektor.
Half of these will be not be playable. Sure, I might see some new characters that I'll enjoy. But judging from NRS past attempts, I doubt it.

In MK: DA they had: Nitara, Bo Rai Cho, Kenshi, Frost, Mavado, Hsu Hao, Drahmin, Moloch, Blaze and Mokap. Out of these 10 I liked Kenshi.
In MD: D they had: Havik, Hotaru, Kira, Kobra, Darrius, Dairou, Shujinko, Onaga and Ashrah. Out of these 9, I liked Havik and Hotaru (though he could lose the flags).
In MK:A they had: Taven and Daegon. I didn't like either.
Out of the eleven introduced in MK: Deadly Alliance (you forgot Li Mei), I liked Bo' Rai Cho, Kenshi, Mavado, Drahmin, Moloch, Blaze, Mokap, and Frost. I'm a bit iffy on Nitara, Li Mei. I'm pretty iffy with Hsu Hao.
Out of the nine introduced in Decepion, I liked Havik, Hotaru, Darrius, Shujinko, Onaga and Ashrah. I'm iffy on Kira, Kobra, and Dairou.
I like both Taven and Daegon.

In 21 characters, I liked 3. 1 out of 7. That's pretty bad.
In MK9, the only character I didn't like was Sheeva. That's a big fucking difference.
In 22 characters, I liked sixteen and only six did not go well with me, for one reason or another.
Of course, in MK9, I liked all of them! Whether it be because I liked their characters, nostalgia, gameplay, or whatever else.

Cassie doesn't seem bad. Out of the 4, she's my favorite. Mix of Sonya, Johnny and Stryker.
Kotal Kahn. I like his design but from what I've seen, his moveset is bland as fuck. Doesn't help that he's MK's version of Ares.
Ferra/Torr. Meh.
D'vorah. Don't like her. At all.
Cassie is cool.
Kotal is looking fine, but I haven't seen his moveset myself, so I can't say anything about it.
Ferra/Torr is really interesting.
D'vorah is an odd character, in a good way.

I will say that every single new character, is miles ahead of what we got in the 3d games. They might grow on me, but so far only Cassie did.
I am more receptive to new characters because I like seeing new ideas, seeing potential in new characters. Though the personal preferences of others cannot be changed, we can at least have a more positive attitude about it – our attitude on how we approach things can make quite a difference!

As Mr. Mileena said, we should give the new characters a chance.
(Though I will admit, the first time I saw D'vorah and Ferra/Torr, I thought I was watching an MKX + Killer Instinct trailer!)

A point I brought in earlier is that our favorite MK veteran characters were at one point new characters themselves.
We should give the newbies a chance and I'm pretty sure we're going to end up liking them or at least accepting them into the series.
We may also be blinded by a bit of nostalgia, concerning the old favorites of MK9. And plenty of people also have the notion that the new characters are replacing their favorites, which does sound infuriating when put that way.
I like new things. I don't like new things at the expense of old ones. Especially stuff I liked.
The ideal roster would be MK9's entire roster (minus the guest characters), plus some from MK4 and forth plus with one or two new ones.
Everyone would be happy.
But we're not getting that. And some might even mention dlc as a chance to see old favorites return. Yeah... but then again, one dlc character is a guest character. So there's already one less spot in that too.
I understand what you are saying, Zephyrus.
Just as humans themselves have a time to be born and eventually have a time to die, so too do our old favorites. Only a certain few will continue living for an indeterminate amount of time.

Oh yeah, and NRS/Midway is known for introducing new characters with every game. MK: Armageddon and MK9 are those games that introduced less than three new playable characters.
I love the new guys and I think a lot of other people do as well.
I honestly don't know what you guys expected, I mean before the new characters were revealed a lot of you were just asking for an updated version of MK9. Innovation is good, we get to see some returning characters, some new, and some returning that weren't in MK9.
Never underestimate the fact that many, many people do not like change.

Zephyrus

TYM resident party pooper
I'm not going to quote that post because it's too big.

I stated the reason why I'm not thrilled with the new roster. You stated yours about why you are.
You should've left it at that and move on.
But you didn't. You claim you understand me, yet throw arguments like human mortality being comparable as not seeing characters we like, returning. No they are not comparable. Human mortality is something pre-determined. Nobody has a choice in the matter. We all die. Not seeing characters returning, is purely a decision by someone else. In this case NRS. We could have gotten the exact same roster in MK9, all new characters or no game at all. The choice was up to NRS. They chose what we currently have.
Ok, you could've left it at this too. And still you didn't. You ended your post, after carefully trying to speak rationally to someone and understanding his views, with a gif of someone throwing a tantrum because something was changed.

I could describe the people that are looking forward to see the old thrown away and the new arriving, as borderline psychopats judging by their lack of emotion when told that characters they enjoyed once, are not coming back, yet I wouldn't stoop so low.

Oh well. Here's hoping some of the new characters actually replace old ones. A new Tarkatan to replace Baraka, a new Smoke similar to what MKX Sub-Zero is (another person using the same codename), a new Reptilian, etc.
They'd be new but would have a nod to old ones.

zerosebaz

What's the point of a random Krypt?
Oh well. Here's hoping some of the new characters actually replace old ones. A new Tarkatan to replace Baraka, a new Smoke similar to what MKX Sub-Zero is (another person using the same codename), a new Reptilian, etc.
If they do that, I hope they don't go the rout Soul Calibur did. I hated what Soul Calibur did with it's last instalment, taking out characters like Taki but giving us one that plays exactly the same. What is the point in taking the old one out if you do that? What I like about Cassie is that even when she is the daughter of Cage and Sonya, and her gameplay may have "nods" to them, she is her own character, she doesn't steal her parents gameplay nor is a mix of them. I would still rather to have Reptile than a replacement for him, he didn't die, and 25 years won't have a great effect on him.

PS: I completely agree with the rest of your post.

I'm not going to quote that post because it's too big.

I stated the reason why I'm not thrilled with the new roster. You stated yours about why you are.
You should've left it at that and move on.
But you didn't. You claim you understand me, yet throw arguments like human mortality being comparable as not seeing characters we like, returning. No they are not comparable. Human mortality is something pre-determined. Nobody has a choice in the matter. We all die. Not seeing characters returning, is purely a decision by someone else. In this case NRS. We could have gotten the exact same roster in MK9, all new characters or no game at all. The choice was up to NRS. They chose what we currently have.
I'm sorry if what I typed and did, did not sit right with you. Maybe I don't really understand, maybe I know where you're coming from.

Human mortality is pre-determined, yes, but through our actions and the actions of others, it can be changed so that we may live longer or shorter. Sometimes it does not matter, though: some things beyond our control happen and affect our lifespans. Yes, it is the decision of NRS and their decisions/actions affect the lifespans of our old favorites. It's like fate, in a way, because their choices are relatively beyond our control, except in sheer numbers!

Ok, you could've left it at this too. And still you didn't. You ended your post, after carefully trying to speak rationally to someone and understanding his views, with a gif of someone throwing a tantrum because something was changed.
It is not directed at you in any way. It was a more cynical gesture at how people dislike change for seemingly arbitrary reasons.
I could describe the people that are looking forward to see the old thrown away and the new arriving, as borderline psychopats judging by their lack of emotion when told that characters they enjoyed once, are not coming back, yet I wouldn't stoop so low.
I meant no dissatisfaction by my post: Just letting you see a different, strange way of thinking.

To name a few of my favorites: Noob Saibot, Shang Tsung, Kitana and Johnny Cage. I'm not looking forward to seeing them be thrown away: I am simply more accepting of what is to come from MK. I move on, but I can always go back and see them again by replaying the older games.

(I say that I'm just "insensitive and not really tied to my favorites", but maybe I am a borderline psychopath... Just call me "crazy".)

It would be interesting to have new characters as nods to the old ones, and I think it could work well. I do see some people saying "why make a new one when you can re-use the old one" and "no, we can't re-use the old ones because they are dead now", but we'll just wait and see what NRS does from now! If we get a new Saurian, Reptile won't have to feel forever alone. As far as I know, C/Khameleon have never met Reptile.

I have the feeling that there are going to be a lot of spiritual successors of the old kast(a lin kuei type of warrior, a cyborg, a tarkatan etc) given the story is set up to 25 years later and since we are getting 3 variations per character, for story wise NRS can just give alt skin of old MK characters to the new ones for example a Jhonny Cage and a Sonya skin for Cassie Cage and everyone is happy.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
2/4 shown have been pretty cool. The others... not so much. Hoping the other newbie characters are better than this group honestly.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
Cassie doesn't seem bad. Out of the 4, she's my favorite. Mix of Sonya, Johnny and Stryker.
Kotal Kahn. I like his design but from what I've seen, his moveset is bland as fuck. Doesn't help that he's MK's version of Ares.
Ferra/Torr. Meh.
D'vorah. Don't like her. At all.
Pretty much exactly my thoughts. I have better hopes for Kahn though.

Zatoichi

Fabulous Goofball
My favorites from MK9 DIED (Save for Reptile <3) and I'm not a big fan of most of the surviving characters so I'm welcoming and looking forward to these new characters as well as the redesigns of the 3D era fighters. Out of the four new characters shown, Kotal Kahn is easily my favorite with Master Blaster and Bug Lady tied for 2nd, Cassie is the only new character I don't care for.

If we get a new Saurian, Reptile won't have to feel forever alone. As far as I know, Chameleon has never met Reptile.
If they ever meet, I bet they'll get freaky and become the first openly gay couple in Outworld. :DOGE:DOGE:DOGE

Mothmonsterman0

Mortal Kombat is NOT dead.
Everyone has to chill about this. Think about this for a minute:

MK1 - 7 brand new characters we've never seen before
MK2 - 12 characters, only 5 returning from MK1 (59% of the cast is new)
MK3 - 15 characters, only 7 returning from MK2 (53% of the cast is new)
UMK3 - 23 characters, only 11 returning from MK1/2 (52% of the cast is new)
MK4 - 16 Characters(if you inclued Noob), only 9 returning from MK1/2/UMK3 (44% of the cast is new)

I think everyone needs to realize that this has been an ongoing trend. In almost EVERY MK game from MK1 to MK4, almost half the cast is new. This is old news everyone, no need to be alarmed!
Can we all just have this hot keyed or something for when people bitch about mk x and how someone isn't coming back???

callMEcrazy

Alone is where to find me.
I'm definitely one of those who are rather hesitant about so many new characters to be honest. I liked the ones that have been revealed so far and maybe I'd end up liking the rest as well but I just think half the cast is way too many. It's just unnecessary. Bringing that many characters up from scratch puts a huge load on the creative team. There's really no need to introduce so many new characters just for the sake of it. And the result of such situations very often is that the quality suffers. The other concern is continuity. We had a good thing going in Mk9 and I feel a more gradual change was in order. The changes to the fighting engine are perfect IMO - enough to make a significant difference but not so much that it feels totally revamped. I just wish they use the same approach with the roster. If there are indeed 28-30 characters then about 8 new ones would suffice. Maybe you could push it up to 10 but 14 (as rumored) is too many.

MK9 was great fan service but the majority of the character designs looked dated and stale. NRS is doing the right thing introducing a lot of new characters, MK needs some fresh blood!
*rips heart out and drinks blood*

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
I'm not really a fan of Ferra/Torr just because Ferra kind of creeps me out. But I'm all for hooded D'Vorah. Hooded characters are always cool and welocmed. Even though Scorpion's kind of looks lame.

Oogalord

Noob
It was pretty obvious what NRS was doing when they killed off so many characters in MK9.

I'm worried about Noob not being in it, but if he's not, I think there's a pretty good shot that either Sektor, Baraka, Skarlet, Reptile, or Quan Chi will make it in. I'll be okay with that.

I gotta give NRS credit, they never play it safe. They experiment and nuke a third of the cast if they want to, fuck it. You'd never see Capcom pull anything close to an SFIII again. The new character designs look pretty cool, and I'm excited to see more. I like how much they dance around how Ferra is clearly a child, though I'm sure she won't be getting Fatality'd.

Last edited:

peachyO

Noob
I will vociferously defend MKX. I am thrilled with all the new kombatants so far (except cassie cage, as she's a combination of 2 kharacters i despise, but i'm sure she will be a solid and popular fighter), and i have complete faith that the new game will incorporate the best elements of MK9 and injustice while adding new ones to the mix. yes i'm sad because it's likely my mains won't make the cut (they rarely do, fml) but i'm more excited to see the rest of the new kast, and everybody needs to be calm and wait for the finished game before passing judgement. i'm already more excited for the 4 MKX fighters than i was for the new crew in MK4, MKDA and MKD.

anyway, fair warning to you all: so far it looks like i will be maining d'vorah and ferra/torr. :D ferra/torr looks like an unholy blend of bane/shokans/grundy/doomsday crossed with master blaster from mad max: beyond thunderdome. d'vorah is disgusting and vile and perfect. she strikes me as having a bit of sindel and sheeva to her. and i love her design. kotal kahn looks promising as well. 2015 just won't come fast enough!