3frame latency by choice.

Is it a good feature?

• Yes

Votes: 85 91.4%
  • No

Votes: 8 8.6%

• Total voters

villainous monk

Terrible times breed terrible things, my lord.
Wow man. This... Thread.... Wow.

Some people need to calm down dawg. I've never heard so much salt about the online issues since launch. Now you have nrs who actually decided to work on this issue and produce a pretty good EObeta to revamp for everyone hopefully around the time of MKXL to the make the online experience Better

Better.

These people are trying to improve the online from the shit we currently play with and in the practice mode the OPTION to turn off or on said settings to better prepare those who choose (key words here) choose to play online and use the tools that they are providing us with to make this shit better then what it is now.

You stream a movie on a android box it's going to buffer.
You play any game online there's lag.
You make a call to Baffen island yep you guessed it your ass is going to have issues so really.

What can you do put use the tools they gave you 3 frame latency is not that all bad.

SylverRye

Official Loop Kang Main
If its any consolation, i use dragons fire in the beta and can do all my offline combos all thr time with him ie:3-5 insta air fireball combos, 113 iiafb and all cancels with that 3f delay. I only mess up in 200+ ping or by my own execution errors. If this is what they are rolling out, then this is really damn good.

xxFalcon Loverxx

Ignorant slaves, how quickly you forget.
A day at NRS studios.

Scene one-
Ed Boon: "So how's the new netcode working out?
IT Dept head: "Well Ed, some of the issues have been fixed but we still can't make MKX like Street Fighter or Killer Instinct online."
Ed Boon: "Why not?"
IT Tech: "Because we suck and we are Neatherrealm Studios."
Ed Boon: "Damn it!"
IT Tech: "What Ed, you upset about this?"
Ed Boon: "What?!, No I just hate this office coffee, god I wish it tasted as good as the coffee I make at home!"
IT Tech: "Ed!...Ed! You just gave me an idea!"
Ed Boon: "What's that? Buy a new and better coffee machine so we can have good coffee here at the office too?"
IT Tech: "No. If you make the coffee at home purposely taste terrible, then the coffee at work will be tolerable!"
Ed Boon: "No way on earth will I do that, that's insane and stupid as hell. I'm going to fix the office coffee issue today."
IT Tech: "Hmn, wish we could do the same with MKX online."
Ed Boon: "Hey! I got it. Lets apply the making bad coffee at home to tolerate the bad coffee at work idea to the game!"
IT Tech: "How Ed?"
Ed Boon: "Simple. We add lag to the entire game for offline play in a patch with 3 frame+ latency, this way those stupid MK customers will get use to it and start seeing lag as a good thing!"
IT Tech: "Wow! great idea Ed. That will save us a bundle and make horrible online lag make us more money and call it MKXL with the L for LAG!"
Ed Boon: "Ok, call Tyler and babyface to set up the next Brainwashing Kast...I mean Kombat Kast."
Ed Boon: sips his coffee..."this coffee is horrible, I'm fixing this coffee issue today."
It's optional.

Shark Tank

I don't actually play these games
3 frames. 60 frames a second...3/60...which can be reduced to 1/20....

.5....5 of a frame.....

So...I need...an extra...3 post it notes for my mkx flipbook

stamatis

Όσα δε φτάνει η αλεπού. ........
Just a conclusion.
There are players that play with 10,12,15frames latency.After the new netcode release there will be an option to reduce the lag.
If anyone thinks that he has a great connection and he can play online with 1,2frame latency he can just ignore the feature.
That simple.

MK FIGHTER

Knife Fight
It's optional.
You're not getting it. It's not optional it only appears optional. It's really "hey where going to force you to have an option to make the game offline as shitty as it is online". I say just don't even have it. Keep online and offline as different as they were intended to be. Why should they add more programming to a software that will always have the possibility of the shittiness latency causing code errors in the main game offline. Let them just come out and say "hey MK customers, we can't really solve this issue so if you keep complaining about it we will just package it and send it out as a patch and sell it to try and accustom you to liking lag in our games" come on dude wake up.

Last edited:

MK FIGHTER

Knife Fight
I'm not even casting my vote on this thread because both options are deliberately setup to approve the idea. Notice how there is no third option of NO LATENCY OPTION AT ALL. Leave offline alone, let players experience the online scenario as always if NRS can't really fix this issue.

xxFalcon Loverxx

You're not getting it. It's not optional it only appears optional. It's really "hey where going to force you to have an option to make the game offline as shitty as it is online". I say just don't even have it. Keep online and offline as different as they were intended to be. Why should they add more programming to a software that will always have the possibility of the shittiness latency causing code errors in the main game offline. Let them just come out and say "hey MK customers, we can't really solve this issue so if you keep complaining about it we will just package it and send it out as a patch and sell it to try and accustom you to liking lag in our games" come on dude wake up.
Listen mate, with all due respect....Which is none btw.Do you know the meaning of optional?It means you can choose it by yourself, if you want to get used to online for ESL (An online tournament) or you're having an online ft10 or some money matches online and your internet is not very good, you can use it....You realize the new net code is coming out right?I think you're the one who should wake up.

MK FIGHTER

Knife Fight
Dude, it gives you the chance to practice in shit connection, in good connection, decent connection.What the hell are you crying about?
lol read what you wrote lol. I'm actually cracking up. "NRS is giving us the chance to practice in shit connection" lmao that was awesome dude I like you. You made my day. Please friend me.

MK FIGHTER

Knife Fight
You're not understanding that at this point in time there's no such thing as perfect netcode yet. A 0.05 second delay is pretty much the standard for a very good online connection, which is what we get with the 3-frame delay. Maybe in like 10 years we'll be able to get perfect online connection, but not as it is right now. With the new netcode, NRS is doing the best they can when it comes to netcode.

I still don't understand what you truly find so 'insane' about including an option to help online players lab in the online connection. There are no downsides for players, because it is an OPTION. No one's being brainwashed into accepting not-offline connection all the time like you apparently think.
Well first I'm glad you now know I'm not a troll lol. All I'm saying is why can't they just keep offline and online two separate gaming modes and letting us deal with good and bad online connections like always. But they are not really fixing the problem. They are basically selling us the option to have on-demand-shitty-connection-offline and online instead of really working to make online great. I think I can speak for many of us when I say that we have experienced at some point during online play a really great connection to the point of feeling like offline play. Grant it, the times are rare but I know I have experienced that at least 10 out of 60 matches online. I just have difficulty accepting this Lag option patch from NRS.

xxFalcon Loverxx

lol read what you wrote lol. I'm actually cracking up. "NRS is giving us the chance to practice in shit connection" lmao that was awesome dude I like you. You made my day. Please friend me.
"NRS is giving us the chance to practice in shit connection, GOOD CONNECTION AND DECENT CONNECTION"*
This is just a thing that will give good practice options for online tournaments, you quote the
the posts and ignore all my other posts, I'm afraid i can't take you seriously anymore, you're making random insults that make no sense...

I'm just gonna listen to Pig of the hut's advice and ignore people like you.

xxFalcon Loverxx

Well first I'm glad you now know I'm not a troll lol. All I'm saying is why can't they just keep offline and online two separate gaming modes and letting us deal with good and bad online connections like always. But they are not really fixing the problem. They are basically selling us the option to have on-demand-shitty-connection-offline and online instead of really working to make online great. I think I can speak for many of us when I say that we have experienced at some point during online play a really great connection to the point of feeling like offline play. Grant it, the times are rare but I know I have experienced that at least 10 out of 60 matches online. I just have difficulty accepting this Lag option patch from NRS.
"but they are not really fixing the problem" But they are.You're just ignoring it.

Last edited:

ChaosTheory

A fat woman came into the shoe store today...
I'll likely play exclusively online, so I don't see why I wouldn't practice in the same conditions as I'd have with a good connection on the new online. No sense in developing timing (visual and muscle-memory) in practice mode just to alter it as soon as you play an opponent.

Three frames doesn't sound like much. Is it? As far as tight punish-windows or gaps in strings... is there much of an issue?

DDutchguy

Stand 4'ing airplanes out of the sky
I'll likely play exclusively online, so I don't see why I wouldn't practice in the same conditions as I'd have with a good connection on the new online. No sense in developing timing (visual and muscle-memory) in practice mode just to alter it as soon as you play an opponent.

Three frames doesn't sound like much. Is it? As far as tight punish-windows or gaps in strings... is there much of an issue?
3 frames is not that much, but not too little either. I always look at it in terms of how hard a 3-frame link in a combo would be. When you look at it like that, a 3-frame link isn't that difficult, but it's not like it's easy either. I'd say 3 frames of delay is perfectly acceptable.

ChaosTheory

A fat woman came into the shoe store today...
But are there any examples currently in MKX where those three frames are significant? Like a move that's -10, should be punished by this 8-frame move, but now I can't punish it.

Am I thinking about it correctly?

DDutchguy

Stand 4'ing airplanes out of the sky
But are there any examples currently in MKX where those three frames are significant? Like a move that's -10, should be punished by this 8-frame move, but now I can't punish it.

Am I thinking about it correctly?
You can still punish it, though as you have probably already guessed you have to be 3 frames early on your real-life input on your controller to be able to punish it right.

Just so I understand exactly what's going on...

Along with the Rollback Netcode, NRS will add a 3 frames delay to online, something most people agree is basically unnoticeable except for having to be slightly tighter on some combos, making sure people with great to decent internet will not notice the rollback and have great online matches. Considering the fact that latency is unavoidable even on a great connection, this will make the online mode as sharp as possible

They're also adding the option to add this delay to the offline modes, so people who play online can practice their combos exactly like how they'll come out online.

And that's a ... bad thing?

It's not. It's really not.