What's new

Zoning Possibly Less Viable in MKX?

E

Eldriken

Inb4 "anti-zoning zealots"
I can't really blame people for disliking zoning, especially if they play a character that has a hard time getting around it. I personally don't care either way. If I play a character that has a hard time getting around it, I think it would be a wise idea to pick up a secondary that can get around it.

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
Yeah I saw the article, didn't really think it was worth posting since it's just his opinion really but I can kind of see where he's coming from with running, better mobility in general, the stamina meter and characters being closer together all being in MKX.

Amplified$hotz

I like Tekken 8
I can't really blame people for disliking zoning, especially if they play a character that has a hard time getting around it. I personally don't care either way. If I play a character that has a hard time getting around it, I think it would be a wise idea to pick up a secondary that can get around it.
I don't think people hate zoning, they hate when their character cant really move too much. Thats why more people complain about Zod than deathstroke or Sinestro.

E

Eldriken

Yeah I saw the article, didn't really think it was worth posting since it's just his opinion really but I can kind of see where he's coming from with running, better mobility in general, the stamina meter and characters being closer together all being in MKX.
Just wanna get peoples' opinion on the matter since it could very well be a possibility. Being able to close the distance between you and your opponent easier could really change the pace of things, especially for a zoning character.

TheSpore

Nurgle Chaos God of Death and Disease
Well if zoning isn't gonna be very reliable in this game I guess Dave is gonna be complaining a lot in the next few months after the release.

WakeUp DP

GT MK OshTekk.
Yes it will be less viable and scrubs will find new things to bitch about.

Combo spammer.
Why u block so much?
Same move over and over?
Why my d2 mashing gets wiff punish etc Etc.

If nrs think that by adding this mechanics the online casual scrubs will quit crying they couldn't be more wrong.

TheSpore

Nurgle Chaos God of Death and Disease

Combo spammer.
Why u block so much?
Same move over and over?

If nrs think that by adding this mechanics the online casual scrubs will quit crying they couldn't be more wrong.
You forgot to include the random death/rape threats that follow 90% of those questions scrubs tend to ask!

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
Just wanna get peoples' opinion on the matter since it could very well be a possibility. Being able to close the distance between you and your opponent easier could really change the pace of things, especially for a zoning character.
I personally like the idea that the game is more about fighting up close, I hate people that just run away and turtle instead of coming in and showing what they can do :)

Combo spammer.
Why u block so much?
Same move over and over?

You think online casuals know what whiff punishing is, that's cute :DOGE

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
I'm sure that zoning will develop around the mechanics of the game; it may not be the obvious act of constantly throwing shit, but that's not what zoning is. This is a new game and it is inevitable that it will be compared to older ones, but a it will be built this way for a purpose.

E

Eldriken

It's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to early to be making these proclamations.
Yes and no. We don't know what zoning will be like in the game. But we do have some information about certain in-game mechanics that could affect this type of thing.

It's all speculation right now. But at least it's based off of an in-game mechanic that we know something about, unlike some of the other topics that have been made.

NorCalSamurai

Bacon Lettuce Tomato

Combo spammer.
Why u block so much?
Same move over and over?

Combo spammer is the most hilarious fucking thing I've ever heard. Got called that in Tekken a couple nights ago. Sorry you walked into six launchers, champ.

RoGE

Noob
Just adjust the recovery of fireballs accordingly and you should be good.

Also run better have it's own button, like an agility button that you can also use to meter burn stuff.

Groove Heaven

Jobber-baron
It might not be like IGAU where half the cast has good zoning options but I'm sure it's not the death of zoning. It's not supposed to be easy, and only a few characters are supposed to be built around it so I'm sure NRS will at least try to make someone work as a zoner.

We have no clue how the system works yet, but I doubt they're just gonna give people projectiles that get crushed by running.

Edit: 1,000th POST AW SHEEEEEEEEEIIIIIIIIT

HeroesNZ

Baconlord's Billionaire Sugar Daddy
Well we don't know how viable running is as a means to get in on zoners yet because we don't know whether or not you can cancel it on the first frame, or how much recovery it has. With the disappearance of dash-blocking, who knows, maybe getting in on zoners will be more about well-spaced/timed dashes and jumps - much like SF but without the FADC mechanic.

Perhaps zoning will be more about space-control (e.g-MMH), as opposed to just putting as many projectiles on the screen as you can (e.g- Zod).

Amplified$hotz

I like Tekken 8
Just adjust the recovery of fireballs accordingly and you should be good.

Also run better have it's own button, like an agility button that you can also use to meter burn stuff.
I think run is dash then press block or something like that

coolwhip

Noob
I honestly don't mean to be a jerk but I don't see how anyone can speculate. It's hard to take any opinion seriously when nobody here has touched the game and it's still in its early builds. Hell, the majority of the cast hasn't even been announced (meaning there might be some great zoning characters not yet revealed), and we don't even know how each character works, especially with the variations.

I'd take anything I've heard about the game with a grain of salt. Hell, Injustice has been out for a year and a half and some still argue whether zoning is viable or not.

The problem with zoning, specifically in the NRS community, is that zoning equates to comfortably sitting on one side of the screen safely chucking projectiles without consequence and chipping or killing your opponrnt with ease. Anything that doesn't resemble this and people panic. Theres more to zoning than just chucking out projectiles. I hope that in MKX zoning requires brains and thought process.

E

Eldriken

Well we don't know how viable running is as a means to get in on zoners yet because we don't know whether or not you can cancel it on the first frame, or how much recovery it has. With the disappearance of dash-blocking, who knows, maybe getting in on zoners will be more about well-spaced/timed dashes and jumps - much like SF but without the FADC mechanic.

Perhaps zoning will be more about space-control (e.g-MMH), as opposed to just putting as many projectiles on the screen as you can (e.g- Zod).
Yeah, this is certainly true. I guess we would definitely need to know more about run cancelling to really speculate.

Titanman_88

Adamantium Addiction
That opinion from the writer is based on the assumption that the zoning will be similar to the kind we have seen before in previous games. Either way Im a "zoner" and will continue to be assuming I can but I will also say I hope there is a fix in the risk vs reward so that its harder to zone, so I can pretend people will quit bitching when they lose to it.....Lol nah that won't happen

E

Eldriken

That eventhubs article is hilarious by the way. It doesn't even mention running and says Green Arrow is one of the strongest zoners in Injustice.
It does mention running. >_>

"For those unfamiliar, the MK developers have implemented a new stamina meter in their upcoming fighter that gives players the ability to run, dash..."