What's new

Zoning in MK10

The_REAL_xVAPORx

smoke reset bot
i am not opposed to the properties of the projectiles in MK9, and id be content to see similar projectiles in MK10. i do think that instant air projectiles should be toned down pretty hard though. imo, air projectiles in general should be used to control the air and keep jump happy opponents grounded to a degree, but when it gets to the point that your are being zoned so hard your only option is to half-step, crouch/low block your way across the stage to impose any form of pressure, it becomes broken. not to mention doing all that work to finally get in and finding yourself trying to pressure a counter-offensive monster like kabal.

callMEcrazy

Alone is where to find me.
Its entirely an issue of character balance. Zoning itself is not overpowered at all in MK9. No need to tone it down for MK10.

The_REAL_xVAPORx

smoke reset bot
Its entirely an issue of character balance. Zoning itself is not overpowered at all in MK9. No need to tone it down for MK10.
while character balance is a big contributing factor, I disagree. kabals iAGBs are stupid. a 10 frame instant air projectile that does 9% on hit, 2% on chip, builds ungodly amounts of meter, and acts as a full screen AA combo starter into block string pressure...... couple that with his low buzzsaw that cant be reflected by any character other than smoke without spending a meter and his zoning outclasses every character aside from the other two on this list

callMEcrazy

Alone is where to find me.
while character balance is a big contributing factor, I disagree. kabals iAGBs are stupid. a 10 frame instant air projectile that does 9% on hit, 2% on chip, builds ungodly amounts of meter, and acts as a full screen AA combo starter into block string pressure...... couple that with his low buzzsaw that cant be reflected by any character other than smoke without spending a meter and his zoning outclasses every character aside from the other two on this list
how is this not character specific ? Liu Kang and Mileena has IAFs too. where are they ? Kabal's version maybe superior but that's not what makes him so monstrous. take out his dash cancels and he instantly becomes average despite his IAF and buzzsaw.

but lets say Kabal's IAF is imbalanced. just fix that. maybe increase it from 10 to 12 frames or something. similarly, if Kenshi has moves that are too fast or too strong in some way just nerf it to balance.

when you talk about "zoning" it is a universal thing. it means fireballs or projectiles in general getting nerfed. for example, the average startup of all projectiles being increased from x to (x+2 frames) or the average damage of all projectiles decreased from 8% to 7%. this in turn will yield a fighting system where characters like Cage, Sonya, Lao etc are beyond godlike (they are very strong already). Lao has won back to back Evo(s) despite zoners being so powerful (apparently) and Cyrax won the other. what this means to me is that if you're ready to apply yourself and be patient there are very effective ways to neutralize or outmatch zoning.

i'm not disputing how strong Kabal and Kenshi are. i'm just saying that zoning is not to blame here. its a few specific moves that are overpowered. think about Noob. he symbolizes zoning more than any other character but he is not overpowered at all. actually he seems a bit underpowered.

its all character specific.