What's new

Zoning in MK10

Fractured_Shadow

Really likes to throw things at you.
Just trying to get a sense of the communities stance on zoning for MK10. IMO zoning was a little over the top in MK9 with 3 of the top 5 characters being heavy zoners (Kabal, Kenshi, Freddy) who also have some of the most dominating MU'S in the game (9-1's FFS... common guys).

I'm personally hoping that the zoning will be toned down slightly or have the inclusion of more highly mobile characters such as Lao or counter zoning characters such as Smoke to offset the strong zoners.

With that being said I also do not want to see the complete obliteration of zoners i.e Noob Saibot early in MK10'S life because people don't have the patience to learn MU's

Maasik

Noob
Strong zoners are fine IMO but I think if you're going to have strong space control and keep away you should have bad footsies or recovery to allow punishing when the other person gets in, that way each dominate each other in their perspective ranges. Strong zoners that have a "get out of jail free" card.. *cough EX Nomad Dash & Teleports cough*.. is pretty lame and makes it all the more frustrating when you get in a zoner's face and they just run away so easily.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Fireballs should trade.
Bye-bye freeze and spear. So no.

Also, Noob was never obliterated early to begin with. He actually got buffed as time went on because he was so bad.

The 3 best zoners were the best not just because of zoning. Their offense was pretty fucked up, too, for the most part. Kabal could rush you relentlessly with NDC, Freddy had unfuzziable 50/50s that led to 40+%, and Kenshi took away any thought of playing footsies vs him.

Fractured_Shadow

Strong zoners are fine IMO but I think if you're going to have strong space control and keep away you should have bad footsies or recovery to allow punishing when the other person gets in, that way each dominate each other in their perspective ranges. Strong zoners that have a "get out of jail free" card.. *cough EX Nomad Dash & Teleports cough*.. is pretty lame and makes it all the more frustrating when you get in a zoner's face and they just run away so easily.
THIS right here is why I feel universal pokes are out of the question

Fractured_Shadow

Bye-bye freeze and spear. So no.

Also, Noob was never obliterated early to begin with. He actually got buffed as time went on because he was so bad.

The 3 best zoners were the best not just because of zoning. Their offense was pretty fucked up, too, for the most part. Kabal could rush you relentlessly with NDC, Freddy had unfuzziable 50/50s that led to 40+%, and Kenshi took away any thought of playing footsies vs him.
I wasn't saying Noob was obliterated I was saying I don't want to see zoners pushed down to Noob's level early on.

Fireballs should trade.
It's not that simple. If you make projectiles trade/cancel each other out you completely ruin characters like Sub-Zero, Reptile and Cyrax who have capture type projectiles that rely on trades. So you would have to make their projectiles much faster and that could make them unbalanced. Or you would have to remove the capture properties but then Sub Zero wouldn't really be Sub Zero now would he.

Last edited:

Maasik

Noob
Why is it bad to have strong Spacing and Zoning tool when other characters have ridiculous pressure and 50/50s? Look at Jax, Sonya, KL, and Cage.
It's not. It's bad to be good at every end of the spectrum. Either have character's with strong space control and keep away or good pressure and 50/50's. They can have both but it's unfair to be good at both. Needs more specialization so the game becomes who's the better zoner/rushdown or the zoner wins if they keep the opponent rushing down out and loses if the opponent gets in.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Kenshi, in retrospect, should've just been a footsies character with counter zoning.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
If you have not learned by now, the cycle with NRS fighting games is...

1) A great zoning character is introduced in version 1.01. Online scrubs cry. TYM scrubs cry. 16 Bit invents a corny amalgamation between the character's name and "broken" and declares that he/she is the most broken in fighting game history.

2) Paolo succumbs to the pressure (again) and the character is consequently normalized to mid tier or worse in version 1.02.

3) M2Dave throws a tantrum on TYM, Twitter, and numerous podcasts for an entire year.

4) A top tier zoning DLC character is released. Online scrubs have moved on to play the new Call of Duty game. So has 1/3rd of the TYM scrubs. After two years of testing the beta and one year of playing the game in tournaments, 16 Bit has finally learned how to play the game and complains a lot less, which means...

5) Zoning players can finally enjoy playing a very good zoning character.