What's new

Zod Patch Notes

SimSim

Norwegian Lab-work Champion
Here are the announced changes for Zod:

Zod
· The Phantom Wraith (Character Power) Slash can no longer be parried.

· Phantom Wraith attacks now have proper damage scaling.

· Fixed an issue where missing an opponent with the Phantom Wraith grab would result in undesirable effects.

· The (Air) Zod Charge now has 6 startup frames (up from 1).

· The Low Punch (Down + Light) and I Always Win (down+light, Medium) combo no longer result in a hard knockdown.

· Improved the hit box on the Fallen Kryptonian(Toward + Medium, Light) combo.
My thoughts:

-Slash can no longer be parried: Clear buff, nothing negative about this!

-Damage scaling on trait: If this affects the overhead grab it will hurt Zod a lot. I guess we will have to look for bf2 glitch resets which doesn't seem to get a patch;)

-"Fixed an issue where missing an opponent with the Phantom Wraith grab would result in undesirable effects." - This sounds like the glitch where the trait is rendered useless, and is a clear buff! (Read fix)

-Air Zod charge from 1 to 6 frames of start up. Not that big of a deal. Still fast, and we don't have to bother with the instant air zod charge punishes;)

-d1 and d12 loses hard knock down.... You know I am sad about this.. Zod just became much worse at applying trait pressure and this makes me very sad. Probably won't affect most Zods, but I am affected a lot!

-f21 has improved hitbox means that it won't miss on crouching opponents all the time! Great buff!

I guess they are keeping all of the flame carpet glitches then?! INFINIIIIITES!

Discuss!

@AK Pig Of The Hut
@EGP Wonder_Chef
@NY_Jailhouse
@Marcus

Disaster FX

Boom Bap Dragon
· The Phantom Wraith (Character Power) Slash can no longer be parried.
Good. That was stupid.

· Phantom Wraith attacks now have proper damage scaling.
This concerns me a bit.

· Fixed an issue where missing an opponent with the Phantom Wraith grab would result in
undesirable effects.
Good.
· The (Air) Zod Charge now has 6 startup frames (up from 1).
This doesn't bother me much. 1F seemed a little silly. Unfortunate, but we'll manage fine without it.

· The Low Punch (Down + Light) and I Always Win (down+light, Medium) combo no longer
result in a hard knockdown.
We knew this was coming, ahh well.
· Improved the hit box on the Fallen Kryptonian(Toward + Medium, Light) combo.
Well hello there, footsies. Much more reliable now, are we?

...no word on flame carpet or other bugs. Are we to assume they get fixed or what?

SimSim

...no word on flame carpet or other bugs. Are we to assume they get fixed or what?

Yea I would assume they removed it, but since they don't mention it at all we should consider the possibility of them thinking "It will almost never happen by accident, and it will be banned in tournaments, so we don't need to bother using time and resources patching it".

I know I will keep using the glitches to my advantage if they are still in. I won't do the infinite or eternity knockdown if they are banned in tournaments (Which I have to think they are), but I will use the glitched grab to gain better recovery on different moves and to mix up the opponent after landing a grab.

Also, they did not mention the glitch where Zod can do a whiffed bf2 to reset the opponent during a trait grab, so I am assuming it is still in.

Also no mention of canceling normals to trait grab, which is wonderful if it stays in!:)

All in all very happy with the changes!

Marcus

Mortal Kombat Philippines / Injustice Philippines
Also no mention of canceling normals to trait grab, which is wonderful if it stays in!:)

Normals to trait grab! Yes! It stays! :)

Happy with the changes except for the d1 and d12 losing its hard knockdown. But still Zod can be played the way I want him to be played.

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
NOOOOOOOO I can't YOLO iaZC anymore :(

And They didn't say anything about the other glitches aside from Enkidu Grab. Plus D1 and D12 no longer being a HKD just wssted all of my efforts getting used to doing D1 x Enkidu Summon instead of 123 (because fuck online and getting whiff punished)

SaJa

FH_FenriR
-d1 and d12 loses hard knock down.... You know I am sad about this.. Zod just became much worse at applying trait pressure and this makes me very sad. Probably won't affect most Zods, but I am affected a lot!

Are you talking about ending combo with d12, parry, Ji2 crossup ? They now can techroll ?

SimSim

Are you talking about ending combo with d12, parry, Ji2 crossup ? They now can techroll ?
Yea d1/d12 xx trait/parry ender is useless now.

Man I am really getting scared about how much the trait grab will scale now:/
I will try to find more tech to reset trait grab with bf2 I think.

SaJa

FH_FenriR
Yea d1/d12 xx trait/parry ender is useless now.

Man I am really getting scared about how much the trait grab will scale now:/
I will try to find more tech to reset trait grab with bf2 I think.

Well I guess Zod can't do 50% fullscreen anymore. Will look like 42% now. I'm doing trait, 11d2, 4, 3, 4, 3, 4, d12, bf3 MB it does 47% so if they nerf it like -5% it still great.

Such a nerf won't affect him that much imo when you also considerate the other char damage nerfs (BA, aquaman, flash).

The Farmer

Gunslinger since pre ptch -Shout out 2 Youphs 2015
I am curious about the wraith scaling. Zod's combo damage output is circled around the wraith (In terms of my gameplay.) I use it alot to get 40% and above without using meter.

Groove Heaven

Jobber-baron
I'll be pissed if overhead grab scales our shit out hard.

I'm hyped to actually play footsies if f21 ends up covering good ground.

I'm also very upset at the d1 and d12 nerf, that shit was my meat and potatoes and was honestly the most consistent way I summoned wraith with.

I don't care a whole lot about the air ZC nerf, 6 frames is still very fast.

I hope they fix the glitch where air attacks made the frames reduce after wraith grab.

SimSim

I'll be pissed if overhead grab scales our shit out hard.

I'm hyped to actually play footsies if f21 ends up covering good ground.

I'm also very upset at the d1 and d12 nerf, that shit was my meat and potatoes and was honestly the most consistent way I summoned wraith with.

I don't care a whole lot about the air ZC nerf, 6 frames is still very fast.

I hope they fix the glitch where air attacks made the frames reduce after wraith grab.
I hope they keep the reduction frame glitch;) I can use that for good!

Also, I think the just mean that the 1 in f21 will now have a hitbox buff so it actually works like a mid, so basically just a fix. Not a buff to the hitbox of f2. But I might be wrong ofc.

SimSim

You know you can do this by just whiffing a normal right? Just making sure.
Are you sure you are not confusing it with the bat girl infinite? I am turning on my xbox to check if you are right. It didn't work with other special moves than bf2 at least.

Holy balls! You are correct! How did I miss this?!!!!!

Abbneto

God's only man, spared by the Butcher.
Yea I would assume they removed it, but since they don't mention it at all we should consider the possibility of them thinking "It will almost never happen by accident, and it will be banned in tournaments, so we don't need to bother using time and resources patching it".

I know I will keep using the glitches to my advantage if they are still in. I won't do the infinite or eternity knockdown if they are banned in tournaments (Which I have to think they are), but I will use the glitched grab to gain better recovery on different moves and to mix up the opponent after landing a grab.

Also, they did not mention the glitch where Zod can do a whiffed bf2 to reset the opponent during a trait grab, so I am assuming it is still in.

Do you have a video of canceling normals into trait grab? :) Or can tell me which normal string cancels into it?

SimSim

Do you have a video of canceling normals into trait grab? :) Or can tell me which normal string cancels into it?
If you manage to get the trait grab out at the exact frame the trait has recovered, you can cancel it from normals. So when activating trait, dash up 1 time as fast as you can, do f2 as fast as possible and cancel to d4 as fast as possible, the f2 will cancel in to d4 because the trait has just recovered from being summoned.

When doing slash, normal/string xx trait grab, you are putting the trait in to recovery so you can get the grab out at the first frame after the recovery so you can cancel in to it.

There is a buffer window in Injustice that makes this far from a 1 frame however. When doing slash, 112 xx trait grab for example, the time it takes for 112 to complete is faaar to long for it to be the first possible frame after recovery for trait, but because you press 112 xx d4 as fast as possible, the inputs que up and it will work anyway.

With a single normal canceled in to trait grab you can't just que up the inputs like that, so you have to time it better.
All cancelable normals or trings can be comboed in to trait grab

Abbneto

God's only man, spared by the Butcher.
So it's confirmed? Trait grab now scales damage more? Or am I an absolute asshat and should stop talking?

SimSim

If the trait glitch that causes the lessened recovery after f3 is not patched out (It is not mentioned in the notes), and the whiffed normal reset after trait grab is still in, then this concept video I just made, might be interesting:

First 2 versions are of the mix up with j3 on hit and block (They are locked in place because of f3 advantage, but recover right before the 3 hits I think). Second 2 are with j2 which will cross up if the block, but leads to the same combo as j3 (You can easily see and react to the opponent getting hit with the f3 before you press 3/2 in the air)

They will have to know that they are being reset and block the overhead and then they have to block an ambiguous jump in which you choose if will cross up or not:

Fred Marvel

It's actually Freddy Marvel
I made a comparison, and Zod's bacdash does look pretty good (I thought it had too much recovery to be up there with Black Adam, but not by much it seems):
yeah its very similar to his i think it just covered less distance and with the nerfs adams dash is getting his will be the best by far

SimSim

yeah its very similar to his i think it just covered less distance and with the nerfs adams dash is getting his will be the best by far
Actually I am pretty sure Zod is covering more distance than Black adam. Try to spot the point in the middle of Zod and Black Adam as they are about to backdash, then compare the distance they have traveled from that point after the backdash.

Fred Marvel

It's actually Freddy Marvel
Actually I am pretty sure Zod is covering more distance than Black adam. Try to spot the point in the middle of Zod and Black Adam as they are about to backdash, then compare the distance they have traveled from that point after the backdash.
oh shit you're right, was his backdash better than Adam's then? lol and he's keeping it post patch