What's new

Zatanna's face

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ra Helios

Omnipotent God-like Selina Kyle Player
Her face is ugly. If I have to say which girl character is better looking between mk9 or injustice. I would have to say mk9.

First of all, how is discussing a video game character's looks sexist, male or female? Were you not around when the Zod trailer was announced ("HE LOOKS SO UGLY AND STUPID!!1")? Second, this is about quality of art direction, not whether or not she's fap material. Get a grip man, stop shoehorning your stupid gender politics where they don't exist.
He was wrong to think sexism is the only reason for this behavior but you are also off base to think that people don't do this because of how pretty a female character is over "art direction."

A comment about art direction would be she looks too disney or anime. Why use cell shading?

That is not the case for 99% of any post talking about a female character. When people say she is ugly, they mean she doesn't look hot or cute and don't give a shit if art direction takes after the style of Wes Wheeler or George Kamitani or Alex Ahad.

I'm not saying they want these characters for fap material. I'm only underlining it because it was the point I realized you were clueless about how your peers think.

I don't think that's true. Not the biology part, that is most certainly true. The "harsher critiqued" part. I'm quite sure that the female members of our species, you could probably attest to that, judge men just as harshly on their looks, just not publicly but rather in the confines of their close peer group. This is where the sexism part comes from. It is accepted or maybe even expected that men judge women publicly by their physical attributes. Yet when a woman would do that she would most certainly be in for harsh critique.

You hit the nail on the head about the gender issues that encapsulate the observation Rude was trying to make. If a woman criticizes a guy for his looks we don't take it as seriously if the criticism is for something we can consider to be manly, like chest hair, or "body builder level" muscles. We only lack defense against imperfections we don't consider manly like baldness or fat and even then we have an ability to give less of shit about these imperfections than woman do.

Women don't have that sort of social defense because the expectations for them to look good are much higher among both their peers and males.

Any way, this OP is wrong. Zatanna looks good. Netherrealm provides enough fanservice with Sonya boobs. Just suck it up they don't care to make all of their women into "girl next doors" or super models like the rest of the gaming industry.

I know it looks bad even in the actual game, because I've played it. NRS's 3D art direction has never been good. Does us criticizing the art direction hurt your feelings or something? Just ignore us. I don't care that nobody will care in 2 weeks, I'm going to say it anyway because art direction is a huge part of video games. Obviously not as big as the actual gameplay, but it's still worth commenting on.

Agreed, in mk9 the anatomy of the character models is so off and bizaare, it is not about fapping it is about having standards ffs.

I don't understand why people are equating wanting good graphics to masturbating?

GrandMasterson

The Netherrealm beckons
He was wrong to think sexism is the only reason for this behavior but you are also off base to think that people don't do this because of how pretty a female character is over "art direction."

A comment about art direction would be she looks too disney or anime. Why use cell shading?

That is not the case for 99% of any post talking about a female character. When people say she is ugly, they mean she doesn't look hot or cute and don't give a shit if art direction takes after the style of Wes Wheeler or George Kamitani or Alex Ahad.

I'm not saying they want these characters for fap material. I'm only underlining it because it was the point I realized you were clueless about how your peers think.
What is so sexist about commenting on someone's attractiveness? How is that sexist in the slightest? It's just being shallow at the worst.

Believe me, I'm not clueless. I think some of you have a completely warped idea about what "sexism" is, because it sure as shit isn't remarking that a fictional female character in a fucking video game is ugly. That's an insult to people who experience real, actual discrimination based on sex.

i know they look bad, so? making threads like this will only cause backlash againts both the character and the community. makes everyone seem like bitchy... uh... bitches? yeah, that. now that's the problem i have with female characters, everyone will always find something to bitch about.

carrion4worm

king of the underground
People just don't understand the difference between a static piece of ARTWORK and a 3D model that dashes, jumps and performs 100+ animations from any angle, not to mention carry a 3hr story mode with the same engine---meaning no completely dfferent animated cut-scenes to pull you out of the story. I think so many people overlook the fact that one engine carries the whole game. Sure, DOA5's women (and men) look SO fantastic, but the game has no meat.

People just don't understand the difference between a static piece of ARTWORK and a 3D model that dashes, jumps and performs 100+ animations from any angle, not to mention carry a 3hr story mode with the same engine---meaning no completely dfferent animated cut-scenes to pull you out of the story. I think so many people overlook the fact that one engine carries the whole game. Sure, DOA5's women (and men) look SO fantastic, but the game has no meat.
That explains wonder woman's shoulders how? Some models in this game are good, that's the point.

It is actually the case for the most part of the request I see. She looks attractive in the comics in most iterations, therefore that's a reasonable expectation for the character. Even if they want to give her an pointy face and ugly hair, it still isn't very well textured compared to others.

If a woman criticizes a guy for his looks we don't take it as seriously if the criticism is for something we can consider to be manly, like chest hair, or "body builder level" muscles. We only lack defense against imperfections we don't consider manly like baldness or fat
I'm pretty sure being fat or bald aren't considered feminine. Men have nearly just as much pressure as women on looks in most western societies.

and even then we have an ability to give less of shit about these imperfections than woman do.
No you don't, both have that ability equally. It's just an ugly/fat man will get criticised less.

Any way, this OP is wrong. Zatanna looks good.
No I'm not wrong, the textures don't lie, there is nothing good about them.

Netherrealm provides enough fanservice with Sonya boobs.
It isn't about fan service, we aren't asking for bikini's, just a nicely textured face that has some semblance to how she looks in the comics.

Just suck it up they don't care to make all of their women into "girl next doors" or super models like the rest of the gaming industry.
Are you serious? You're pointing to nrs as if they portray women well? Mk9 has the most skimpiest, tasteless costumes combined with oversexualised flawed anatomy.

Just like the comic book industry, which they chose to make a game on, if whatever character looks attractive in the comics they should look attractive in the game. Don't even act like the ugly faces are intentional, it is incompetence, they don't make them look average women at all.

Some of their models in this game look good like sinestro and superman, heck even the giganta model looks better, her face isn't attractive but it suits the character and is well detailed. Then their are faces like Zatanna, Wonder woman and zod, it has nothing to with gender.

trufenix

bye felicia
I know it looks bad even in the actual game, because I've played it. NRS's 3D art direction has never been good. Does us criticizing the art direction hurt your feelings or something? Just ignore us. I don't care that nobody will care in 2 weeks, I'm going to say it anyway because art direction is a huge part of video games. Obviously not as big as the actual gameplay, but it's still worth commenting on.
This isn't about random criticism, people on the internet say ignorant stuff all day, I don't have time to chase them all down and beat them with sense. This is about people saying NRS should go back to the drawing board because Batman's arm is in the wrong position or Raven's jaw is too big, because that's stupid.

It took an immense amount of concept art, licensee approvals, modeling and animation to get the character to this point. Anybody who thinks any of that is getting redone cause a thread full of facebook randoms say its not enough like a cartoon is delusional.

Raidenwins

Raiden Practitioner
Well, as much as I love MK9 and I like Injustice, just because it's made by NRS, the fact of the matter is their character models and animations are not that great. They are ok, but really not on the same level as Soul Calibur (best graphics and character animations of any fighting game series), Tekken, Street Fighter, or Virtua Fighter. Their animations looks too stilted and awkward and yea, some of their female models look too masculine. They do make-up for it with great characters, story, music, and innovative gameplay mechanics though.

TrulyAmiracle

Loud and Klear~
Lol dat face, this is why I'm so glad that there's no maskless hawkgirl skin. It keeps my hopes up that whatever's under the mask is not a Baraka lookalike.

She looks fun though, I'll definitely mess around with her.

Raidenwins

Raiden Practitioner
I like that whenever a female character is debuted, the first thing we discuss is their looks.
Because we do the same thing with the male characters, right?
Sexism...sexism, everywhere...
That's not sexism. Just guys being guys. Of course we are going to discuss a pretty girl's looks. Enough of that PC nonsense already.

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
What is so sexist about commenting on someone's attractiveness? How is that sexist in the slightest? It's just being shallow at the worst.

Believe me, I'm not clueless. I think some of you have a completely warped idea about what "sexism" is, because it sure as shit isn't remarking that a fictional female character in a fucking video game is ugly. That's an insult to people who experience real, actual discrimination based on sex.
Masterson, you're missing the point entirely.
I'm not surprised, mind you, but you are.

What I'm commenting on is the idea that we pay specific attention to how a female looks in this game. We make a thread about it. We use the words, "fucking ugly" and "manface." How do you think a female who plays video games interprets this? How does it make the rest of us look? Video gaming has always been seen as a "boys' club" and things such as this don't help. The thread is shallow and sexist, but MORE IMPORTANTLY...it portrays a shallow and sexist image of the community. One which may push female players away from us.

Am I getting through to you? This is about the exclusion this kind of talk creates, in an environment that should be inclusive.

This whole attitude of "just guys being guys?" It's "okay because of biology?" That's wrong. It's ignorant of how actual biology works(You know, how in nature creatures of the same gender can mate, some animals switch genders, so on and so forth) and it is also condoning behavior we need to get rid of. It's not okay.

Reactions: cfw

insomnia_ftw

It's simple.. We normalize the superman.
Masterson, you're missing the point entirely.
I'm not surprised, mind you, but you are.

What I'm commenting on is the idea that we pay specific attention to how a female looks in this game. We make a thread about it. We use the words, "fucking ugly" and "manface." How do you think a female who plays video games interprets this? How does it make the rest of us look? Video gaming has always been seen as a "boys' club" and things such as this don't help. The thread is shallow and sexist, but MORE IMPORTANTLY...it portrays a shallow and sexist image of the community. One which may push female players away from us.

Am I getting through to you? This is about the exclusion this kind of talk creates, in an environment that should be inclusive.

This whole attitude of "just guys being guys?" It's "okay because of biology?" That's wrong. It's ignorant of how actual biology works(You know, how in nature creatures of the same gender can mate, some animals switch genders, so on and so forth) and it is also condoning behavior we need to get rid of. It's not okay.
You still have not proven your point. Calling someone "Fucking ugly" and "manface" is not sexist, it's just shallow and stupid. You keep throwing the word "sexist" around, but your argument does not support that judgement. The comments are shallow and juvenile, but they are not sexist. "her face is ugly" is a shallow comment subjective to this character model, it does not insult women as a whole.

By your logic, I should have been offended by all the comments on Zod's appearance. Did anyone say that was sexist? Did anyone say "Hey, not every guy can have an attractive face" or "Hey, some guys like to have a beard like that, sexist pigs!". I'm pretty sure they didn't. All these invalid "SEXISM!!" accusations seem to stem from people thinking that women are weak, and that to insult a **characteristic** of ONE female is to insult the entire gender.

I fully agree that it's pretty lame to insult the attractiveness of a female character model, but a lot of young gamers (male and female) generally lack tact anyway. What IS sexist, is walking on eggshells all the time for fear of mildly offending a member of the opposite sex. That implies that you believe them to be too weak to handle these things.

Status
Not open for further replies.