What's new

Zatanna, Why?

kivatt

Kono Dio Da
Why is she so damn slow. I feel like a lot of her normals, and moves in general have a lot of start up, and can get stuffed by a lot. I'm wondering if it's just me, and if I am playing her wrong. If anyone has any tips, and advice on using her, I would gladly appreciate it. I also found that when you B3, dash in and f2 right they they are about to fall, it stands the opponent up behind you with their back facing you. I was wondering if that could be useful for anything. Again, I am asking for advice on how to use her.

kivatt

Kono Dio Da
My tip: watch RE0's videos, level up and stop complaining. It's day #3 for Zatanna for gods sake.
I'm not really complaining. I'm just asking for tips for her from other people. Hence me saying if people had any tips. I know it's only Day 2 Zatanna, but there are still people who are somewhat good with her. Hence looking for advice from said people. So get your head out of your ass.

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
She has Killer Frost syndrome with her baby range on her normals and air-normals. Also just like KF, jumping back to bait her main way of getting in is also a great idea because if she teleports when you're jumping back she'll eat a full combo. Also just like KF she has great ways to reset combos over and over too.

You can't just jump in or play mid range with her, you have to find clever ways in like behind the cover of an MB-Fireball. She's not my style at all but if you really do want to play her just give her some time and be innovative. She's all about her setups. Literally allllll about the setups to get her started.

Also know you could MB-Fireball then trait up while hiding behind it in some matchups.

Personally I don't think she'll fan out to be anything spectacular in the long run though. Her wakeups are horrible because teleport gets stuffed on startup and she has no good antiair too so she is butt from midrange due to range issues. She is hands down going to have trouble with Aquaman-Batman-BlackAdam-Doomsday and she just has some issues honestly. Just my opinion, I'm well aware saying this is flame bait.

kivatt

Kono Dio Da
She has Killer Frost syndrome with her baby range on her normals and air-normals. Also just like KF, jumping back to bait her main way of getting in is also a great idea because if she teleports when you're jumping back she'll eat a full combo. Also just like KF she has great ways to reset combos over and over too.

You can't just jump in or play mid range with her, you have to find clever ways in like behind the cover of an MB-Fireball. She's not my style at all but if you really do want to play her just give her some time and be innovative.

Personally I don't think she'll fan out to be anything spectacular in the long run though. Her wakeups are horrible because teleport gets stuffed on startup and she has no good antiair too so she is butt from midrange due to range issues. Just my opinion, I'm well aware saying this is flame bait.

Ok thanks, because I'm not used to her play style. So it is going to take some time with her. Since I'm used to just rushing people down, since I use Wonder Woman, Green Arrow, and The Flash. I'm going to have to do some work with her.

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
Ok thanks, because I'm not used to her play style. So it is going to take some time with her. Since I'm used to just rushing people down, since I use Wonder Woman, Green Arrow, and The Flash. I'm going to have to do some work with her.

Yea stick to it. Despite how free it looked at first to start her offense, it actually takes a little bit of work.

She'll DEFINITELY be viable to win with, no question.It'll just take a bit of work. She has the tools to win.

Minh Giang

aka ChrsitianDMG on Stream
Only the first sentence of his post sounded remotely like complaining. The rest is him asking for help and advice, nothing to get riled about.
did you even read his post?
but i didn't bash him or something like that. ok i didn't mean it. maybe my post is stupid.

I'm not really complaining. I'm just asking for tips for her from other people. Hence me saying if people had any tips. I know it's only Day 2 Zatanna, but there are still people who are somewhat good with her. Hence looking for advice from said people. So get your head out of your ass.
i don't want to argue, i just thought your post is you complaining about her, like i said, i didn't mean to bash you, so i'm sorry if it's annoying.

EMPRESS_SunFire

Regina George of discord
Yes! She is a VERY, VERY risky character! She must MB literally all her moves to be safe... Teleport is punisheable, dive kick is punisheable, kicks are ounisheable... But well... I think she is a great character, risky & depends too much of her meter! She is slow! Her vortexstrings are very slow.. But well.. I love her... She is still a good character! But sadly i can watch her having a lot of bad match ups..ñ or at least plenty of even match ups... I am not dropping her for nothing! I said that i wouldn't care abour her tier... I still love the character... I have a lot of fun using her... Se takes a lot of skill to master.

Yes! She is a VERY, VERY risky character! She must MB literally all her moves to be safe... Teleport is punisheable, dive kick is punisheable, kicks are ounisheable... But well... I think she is a great character, risky & depends too much of her meter! She is slow! Her vortexstrings are very slow.. But well.. I love her... She is still a good character! But sadly i can watch her having a lot of bad match ups..ñ or at least plenty of even match ups... I am not dropping her for nothing! I said that i wouldn't care abour her tier... I still love the character... I have a lot of fun using her... Se takes a lot of skill to master.
That's all true, but try replacing "Zatanna" with "Green Lantern", and then replace "MB all her moves to be safe" with "MB all his moves to do good damage"

Being meter-dependent isn't a handicap, it's a play-style.

It's always a shock to my system when I go to another character forum and see that having punishable specials is considered such a huge negative.
My specials for Lex:
Orbital strike- Punishable both regular and MB after forward dash
Probes- Punishable both regular and MB
Mine- Punishable
Corp Charge- Punishable
Grav pull- Punishable
Lance Blast- lol :)

Welcome to playing a setup based character. Your moves are punishable. It's the game's way of telling people you are supposed to use these in specific circumstances.

As for being slow: I believe she has the fastest teleport in the game.

Jump over downed enemies for a fake crossup, levitate, backwards tele-cancel, 2 in the air, connecting with a b2,1 into a full combo- who the hell can block that?? Not many are going to be able to block forward, then backwards, then low to avoid all of those hits. Her air teleport+levitate basically makes it an airdash on steroids.

Justice

Noob
My biggest complaint is that it's really hard to connect a jumping move after a wall bounce with her. I know she has a bajillion other tools and options but that's a small thing that annoys me about her...

Zatoichi

Fabulous Goofball
People are just pissed that she isn't easy to use or safe like Batman or Superman. So she needs meter, she can build it back up easy with her trait. So she can't jump or duck in her trait, SHE CAN STILL TELEPORT and she can REFLECT PROJECTILES in her trait. She doesn't suck, she's just a technical character that requires thought to use.

Zatoichi

Fabulous Goofball
My biggest complaint is that it's really hard to connect a jumping move after a wall bounce with her. I know she has a bajillion other tools and options but that's a small thing that annoys me about her...
After a B3, dash forward and THEN jump with Zatanna, her Jump attacks should connect then.

Yes! He is a VERY, VERY risky character! He must MB literally all his moves to do OK damage ... Teleport is punishable, spear is punishable, flipkick is punishable... But well... I think he is a good character, risky & depends too much of his meter! He is slow! His vortex strings are very slow.. But well.. He's cool... He is still a good character! But sadly i can watch him having a lot of bad match ups.. or at least plenty of even match ups... I am not dropping him for nothing! I said that i wouldn't care about his tier... I still love the character... I have a lot of fun using him... He takes a lot of skill to master.
Wow... It's almost like I could use that description for another character... I guess playing Zatanna won't be too bad once I get her then.

EMPRESS_SunFire

Regina George of discord
That's all true, but try replacing "Zatanna" with "Green Lantern", and then replace "MB all her moves to be safe" with "MB all his moves to do good damage"

Being meter-dependent isn't a handicap, it's a play-style.

It's always a shock to my system when I go to another character forum and see that having punishable specials is considered such a huge negative.
My specials for Lex:
Orbital strike- Punishable both regular and MB after forward dash
Probes- Punishable both regular and MB
Mine- Punishable
Corp Charge- Punishable
Grav pull- Punishable
Lance Blast- lol :)

Welcome to playing a setup based character. Your moves are punishable. It's the game's way of telling people you are supposed to use these in specific circumstances.

As for being slow: I believe she has the fastest teleport in the game.

Jump over downed enemies for a fake crossup, levitate, backwards tele-cancel, 2 in the air, connecting with a b2,1 into a full combo- who the hell can block that?? Not many are going to be able to block forward, then backwards, then low to avoid all of those hits. Her air teleport+levitate basically makes it an airdash on steroids.
Yes i know! But i meant that her best tools are all punisheable on block... You gotta MB them to be safe... For example BF1 is her best starter after a string... It is punisheable, so i must MB on block, also the dive kick... Yes, she has the best teleport of the game... & we must also MB it to be safe! The not MB one is 23 frames of recovery... The MB one is 6 frames of recovery & i actually know that being meter dependant is a game style... That sometimes becomes a weakness... But well... On her case she has meter always.

Wow! Omg i just said how she is! I actually said she is a solid character, but too risky... Which is true... Also the last points... Her Ji2 levitate cancel are punisheable by D2's they it's only usefull ina middle of a combo after trance... I doubt anyone will use it at the beggining & every air teleport is punisheable with D2

Akromaniac27

Ready to lose your head?
People are just pissed that she isn't easy to use or safe like Batman or Superman. So she needs meter, she can build it back up easy with her trait. So she can't jump or duck in her trait, SHE CAN STILL TELEPORT and she can REFLECT PROJECTILES in her trait. She doesn't suck, she's just a technical character that requires thought to use.
^THIS. Apparently thats a very common issue with this game. If its not a safe af character, a power character to chuck shit with, and/or stupid high damage, then they suck

Lord Hollow

The Sage Of Michigan.
Just to be Captain Obvious here, if you can comfortably use her trait, you can abuse it and never have to worry about meter. I look forward to seeing a expert Zatanna activate trait right at the beginning of the match to get that early meter lead. Should be beastly.

Well, I'll have to find out what string we can hit-confirm into BF1.

Even if that string itself isn't safe, it's ok as long as it can hit confirm into any special, because that means you can tack on a teleport to the end to get out of danger.

I've got a lot of work to do in practice mode when I get outa work...

kivatt

Kono Dio Da
but i didn't bash him or something like that. ok i didn't mean it. maybe my post is stupid.

i don't want to argue, i just thought your post is you complaining about her, like i said, i didn't mean to bash you, so i'm sorry if it's annoying.
Lol it's okay it's all cool here. I probably shouldn't have started it like I was going to complain. I actually looked at the REO videos last night, and I find that levitate 2 into b3 hard to do.

I still find Zatanna some what slow, but I'm learning to to used to her, and see what works with her.
I learned never do her d2 if you aren't 100% sure it's gonna hit.