What's new

"You're Fired!" -- Joker General Discussion Thread

Gilbagz

Joker here~
Hmm...okay, not that I don't believe you, but how do I properly test this in training mode? When I recorded the dummy doing ji2, 1,1 I would crouch block after the ji2 and the first 1 would always whiff and I was able to stick out a poke during the whiff animation and stop the second 1. How do I set this up properly so I can see what you're talking about myself?

I hope I'm wrong about that first 1 whiffing because that'd be a solid hit confirm. F.2, 3 also whiffs on crouchers so is this the same in that I'm not setting it up in training properly?
From what I tested before, the first hit of any string after a jump in will connect even on crouches. (Assuming the string is not epically slow). This was true with Batman when I tested it with my brother. With Joker, I assumed it was the same. I tested before in training mode by doing ji2, 1,1 and while the 1 was coming out I would make the dummy crouch block and the 1 would connect. I'll test more with my brother at the end of the week. Would test sooner but got assignments coming up, sorry.
Will test out a lot of soon and get back to you asap.
With f+2,3 the first hit is a mid anyway so it'll always connect. But since the second hit is a high, there is nothing you can do about it. f+2,3 just seems like a bad string in general. Good for distance whiff punishing into full combo but isnt viable off of jump ins. Only way I can think of using it is to use ji2, f+2,1 to condition them to block, and then try for f+2,3 stuff.

laudanum09

Darling
EDIT: YEAAAAHHHH GILBAGZ is right....1,1 is a forced block on a ji2.....YESSSSSS....so we have the option to stop there for a armored 3 frame trap, go into 2 for +8 on block, or cancel into gun or flower for more frame advantage. HUZAH

EDIT#2: Confirmed 1,1 is also a forced block when done as a perfect meaty...at least on the Joker. recorded the dummy to sweep then 1,1 and I had to take the first 1, even if I'm ducking and not blocking, ie holding DF

Aya

Noob
What are u guys talking about? the first 1 is a high, it can be ducked and even d1 out of even with a ji2. Just tested it vs GL and thats how it works; ive never seen anything work like what u guys are talking about lol.

Cat

This guy looks kind of tuff...
Cool stuff. Yeah, 1,1 3 and f.2, 3 all cancel into RLG. The problem is that 1,1 and f.2, 3 whiff on crouching opponents. The first hit of 1,1 and the second of f.2, 3. f.2, 3 and 1,1 is great for hit confirming, it's real easy to do and practice but the problem is committing to something that can be crouched. The way this game is set up, you can't hit confirm the jump in combo itself, only the cancel with these longer combos. Once you jump, you have to commit to a string, so what's the point of a hit confirm if you can be poked out of it on block? It seems like the safer and more advantageous option on block is just 3, MB RLG, both for the safety of it and for the advantage you get after if blocked.
You cannot duck 11 after a jump in is blocked because it jails

Cat

This guy looks kind of tuff...
What are u guys talking about? the first 1 is a high, it can be ducked and even d1 out of even with a ji2. Just tested it vs GL and thats how it works; ive never seen anything work like what u guys are talking about lol.
Did you play mk? Every high on the game was forced to be block after a jump in.

And poking out does work sometimes in the game depending on the jump in height. But risk a d1 ? To get full combo punished. ? Lol

Aya

Noob
at what height then? cuz im ducking it np. I didn't play MK much so i didn't kno about all that. Also its easy to react to a whif 1 with a d1 :p

laudanum09

Darling
It works. It 'jails'. Foreign concept to me as a Capcom fighter, but yeah it works, just as Cat said. That's just how the engine works.

Record your dummy doing the combo. Input it all as one motion, ji.2, 1,1. Don't pause or wait to land like you would in an anime or capcom fighter. You do the entire thing as a chain, jump in included. Play it back, block it ducking. You'll be forced to take it.

Noobs like you and I still need to get used to the NRS engine.

EDIT: also, that's just how all combos work, you commit and some strings have spaces for you to hit confirm or alter. It's pretty easy to hit confirm 3,2 into the last 3 and it's easy to hit confirm 2,1,2 into a special move etc. but the input for the most part is smooth and done entirely as a chain. This includes jump ins apart from ji.3 which acts more like a capcom fighter jump in.

I whined about this over at SRK and everyone just said they've been jumping in with their 3's lol. It's something we just need to adapt to.

laudanum09

Darling
You cannot duck 11 after a jump in is blocked because it jails
Hey so what's the deal with meaties in the NRS engine? 1,1 connects as a perfect meaty crouching or stand blocking, is that the case with all highs done grounded as meaties?

Also, what's the deal with meaties and reversals or wake up moves? Some old capcom games would trade at best with meaties when you wake up with invincible moves, the newer ones your meaty just gets beat out flat. I noticed some meaties (dunno how meaty maybe not at all lol) whiffing entirely when I do wakeup flower.

Aya

Noob
dunno, i mean ive been playing this game alot and knew quite a bit about MK but this is the first ive ever heard about this. The combo i recorded with Joker is ji2>11 it combos if i let him hit me, its duckable if i block the jump in, ill try it some more later tho.

laudanum09

Darling
dunno, i mean ive been playing this game for a and knew quite a bit about MK but this is the first ive ever heard about this. The combo i recorded with Joker is ji2>11 it combos if i let him hit me, its duckable if i block the jump in, ill try it some more later tho.
Trust me and the others, especially Cat. I assumed the same as you too but you need to do it fast. ji.2, 1,1. No pause, do it as fast as possible when you're recording. You should be putting in 1,1 while still airborne. The dummy acts weird when you block a playback, so try and do it that way. This probably has to do with the fact that combo string timing changes on hit and on block. Much looser window on hit to string your combo. I had a big problem jumping in and getting blocked and not having the rest of my string come out because you essentially have to commit to the entire thing before you even land on the ground.

To see the difference, record your dummy doing it as fast as possible and then as slow as possible while still having the combo connect. Block both strings and you'll notice a difference. If you block the slow as possible string you might notice it doesn't even come out on playback.

Reactions: Cat

Gilbagz

Joker here~
Trust me and the others, especially Cat. I assumed the same as you too but you need to do it fast. ji.2, 1,1. No pause, do it as fast as possible when you're recording. You should be putting in 1,1 while still airborne. The dummy acts weird when you block a playback, so try and do it that way. This probably has to do with the fact that combo string timing changes on hit and on block. Much looser window on hit to string your combo. I had a big problem jumping in and getting blocked and not having the rest of my string come out because you essentially have to commit to the entire thing before you even land on the ground.

To see the difference, record your dummy doing it as fast as possible and then as slow as possible while still having the combo connect. Block both strings and you'll notice a difference. If you block the slow as possible string you might notice it doesn't even come out on playback.
Not necessarily true. I believe with practice we will be able to hitconfirm off jump ins. Its not like street fighter where you hit the jump in, land then combo. And its not like MK where you just the string the whole thing either. The way i've been doing it right now is watching to see if the ji2 is hit or blocked, then inputting the desired string. I'm working on hit confirming into 3 RLG or block confirming into 1,1 or 2,1. The window is tight but it is possible to confirm off the ji2.
Needs practice though.

I'm not sure if this was said already before. Sorry if it was. I've been hearing that Joker was banned in tournaments. Is this just trolling or legitimate? If he is banned, why?

laudanum09

Darling
Not necessarily true. I believe with practice we will be able to hitconfirm off jump ins. Its not like street fighter where you hit the jump in, land then combo. And its not like MK where you just the string the whole thing either. The way i've been doing it right now is watching to see if the ji2 is hit or blocked, then inputting the desired string. I'm working on hit confirming into 3 RLG or block confirming into 1,1 or 2,1. The window is tight but it is possible to confirm off the ji2.
Needs practice though.
and the string comes out even on block? on hit, to confirm into different combos isn't a big deal, just practice, but when you see your ji is blocked, I don't see how you can make a choice on what string to follow up and get it to actually come out. The timing is somewhere in between SF and MK? not quite one motion but not delayed either? I guess I need more practice because making a string connect on block was annoying until I realized I should (or shouldn't I guess if you want to hitconfirm) just do it all as one chain.

Gilbagz

Joker here~
and the string comes out even on block? on hit, to confirm into different combos isn't a big deal, just practice, but when you see your ji is blocked, I don't see how you can make a choice on what string to follow up and get it to actually come out. The timing is somewhere in between SF and MK? not quite one motion but not delayed either? I guess I need more practice because making a string connect on block was annoying until I realized I should (or shouldn't I guess if you want to hitconfirm) just do it all as one chain.
Actually yeah you're right I haven't practiced enough on block yet. But I do remember Chris G saying in one of the early streams that is possible to hitconfirm off the jump in attacks.
I'm going to have to practice, cuz im probably going to be basing my game off confirming the ji2. Using 1,1 and 2,1 will keep them honest, which will let me get away with some ji2 into 3, but I can't rely on that 24/7 lol. Going to need to experiment more.

Nos99

Noob
Is his trait almost absolutely useless for anyone else?

No one is ever predictable enough for me to land it.

And it's high risk/low reward, what you get from it is shitty, you just get a little bit of mobility for literal seconds and then it's gone.
The Parry itself could actually be really useful for things you can react to, especially moves that would otherwise be safe on block..

I'll agree that the HA HA HA stuff seems a little stupid right now though. . Maybe there's some cool ambiguous jump-in stuff during it? Do we even recover fast enough after a parry to make use of the speed up? I dunno.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
The Parry itself could actually be really useful for things you can react to, especially moves that would otherwise be safe on block..

I'll agree that the HA HA HA stuff seems a little stupid right now though. . Maybe there's some cool ambiguous jump-in stuff during it? Do we even recover fast enough after a parry to make use of the speed up? I dunno.
the jokers parry is a joke

http://www.twitch.tv/leveluplive/b/398983259

Some amusing things. May or may not be old.

8:20-10:50 - Reset loop using interactable-background bounce. Beat by some wake-up moves.

13:35 - Sweep set up.

After that, it's all mostly him just showing off old stuff. There's some more stuff here and there about how to set up mix ups and all that; for example, delaying your jump a bit after an untechable knockdown. There's also a wee bit of match-up stuff as well.

47:45 - Corner teeth reset. Can be up-back'd out of.

If you watch the whole thing, his laundry break ends at 33:00ish.

laudanum09

Darling
So glad to have all these old capcom pros going to Injustice. Valle and Arturo FTW.

His Ryu is so unorthodox and he has such great footsies (some say he invented them lol) and reads, can't wait to see what Valle does with Joker.

http://www.twitch.tv/leveluplive/b/399080116 check out 45 mins in for a pretty sweet mini vortex.

combo into wall bounce mid screen, teeth unblockable, b3, ji.2, d2, ji.1 (extremely ambiguous crossup), BNB.

He could have actually spent another bar to setup another wall bounce into a true teeth unblockable.

From the Leveluplive stream:

Off a background bounce hard knockdown: Teeth + F3 stuffs all of Doomsday wakeup options with proper timing.

Teeth hits even wake-up Savage Blast from Green Arrow, can chase with J2, J3, B3, F3, or dash follow up.