What's new

"You're Fired!" -- Joker General Discussion Thread

Ren21

Noob
So just did a rundown of all stages where you can do an off the wall kick to setup unblockables. Also added some other notes.

Stages with both sections.

Atlantis
Watchtower
Wayne Manor (day and night)

Stages with one section.

Batcave (1st section, Crime Lab)
Gotham City (1st section, Rooftop)
Fortress of Solitude (1st section, Laboratory)
Themyscira (1st section, Temple)
Striker's Island (2nd section, Yard)

Some other notes, On wayne manor entrance the range where you can do the kick is HUGE. Definitely the longest range of all the stages. While Myscira has terrible range.

Hope this helps y'all knowing your options on stages.

laudanum09

Darling
I don't think there's any special trick to it other than block, move in, block, move in, make good reads on jump ins, punish once you get in at a good range. I'd imagine crowbar is pretty good against some characters, definitely works on deathstroke if luthor can punish with his tackle move. Know how to jump projectiles, what are and aren't safe etc.

Hey everybody!
I think that another key to defeat hard zoners is the Bang charging! So if somebody haven't low fireballs like Superman all you need to do on a full screen is block fist projectile and then comes your turn. Enemy knows that Bang is high so he taking a sit... Now party started) you can just wait him to do another projectile (landing or flying) and punish cuz u need just release the button. Now u have 6 frames advantage and go for another Bang charging! If opponent siting to the death you can cancel Bang into dash! There are 2 possible ways: block and repeat first action or immediately repeat fist action.

laudanum09

Darling
Nice Comrade. Forgot about that. Dunno if any of you know who Alex Valle is, but he's an old school Street Fighter player. Father of footsies some say. His day 1 Joker is kind of ass in terms of exploiting everything the character has but his fundamentals and pressure are amazing. it's cool to see him engage in fireball wars with the Bang gun, he makes really smart choices with that move against other zoners. I'd recommend checking out some of his day 1 online matches on LEVEL UP's twitch TV archives.

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
How do you guys input the d2 into db3f after the wall bounce to get into the teeth reset? I am just screwing around with Joker and doing his combos in training mode and that part of it is really annoying. I only get it about 30% of the time to come out correctly. I was just basically wondering if there was a shortcut.

EDIT: LOL nevermind I am actually getting the hang of it now

laudanum09

Darling
try df2, qcb3 instead of d2, b3

I think you have to cancel it kinda late, and going from d to b from d2 is too fast I think. try it my way and let me know if it helps.

Gilbagz

Joker here~
Guys just some stuff i've noticed
Joker has a fake mids =.=, namely f+2,3.

- ji2 into 3 is interruptible with armour, parries and trades with some pokes.
- ji2 into f+2,3 is duckable on the second hit.
- ji2 into 2,1,2 is duckable on the second hit of the 1 (Edit: Just tested this again and does not whiff if you do it off a ji2. It does whiff off neutral crouch though.)

From this, it seems the best options for ji2 is
1,1,3 which is +1 and 2,1,3 which is also +1.

After 1,1,3 you are positioned so that most d1's will whiff but your b1,3 can still connect. And since you are at +1, the b1 comes out at 8 frames which should beat alot of normals. This is obviously character specific with some characters having longer ranged d1s or faster d2's and d3's (ww for example as a 8 frame d2 and d3 in sword stance). But even for these characters you still have the low parry to beat out their normals.
For 2,1,3 you are left in range for d1. You're d1 will come out at 5 frames so it should be everything (perhaps you could armour or parry.)

For all these set ups im pretty sure you can back dash out though. Still trying to figure out jokers option to catch back dashes. I'm thinking of just using the gun and take the free damage.

Some other stuff of note. Doing b1,3 is -4 on block. Parry has a 2 frame start up. So it is kind of safe since the fastest moves are like 6 frames. Obviously this can be baited and punished, but just something to note. They do not get free pressure after blocking a b1,3.

Combo Enders
Just stuff for combo enders. I've been ending combos with either sweep into oki teeth, or the 2 flower teeth reset. I have been using 3,2,3 teeth to catch people who are sleeping and forget to tech roll. With the sweep, it seems mostly safe. I've been able to block most wake up attacks, and backdash out of longer range unblockable stuff (banes command throw).

Finishing combos with 2,1 flower and 3,2 flower also leaves you at the ideal range to land a ji3.

Character specific stuff
With Wonderwoman always go for the sweep knockdown finisher imo. Her wake up dp misses even if you go for the jump in, (havent tested her lasso spin but im guessing delayed j3 should beat it). If she does the wake up dp, she does get out free though. If you stand there blocking, you should be able to whiff punish.
Once you get her laying there though, her only option is to backdash on wake up to try use the invincibility to beat the teeth. Since her back dash range is so short, you can catch her with a j3 and the teeth will connect. Off this you can go into teeth loops or finish with a standard combo. [Other characters with short back dashes will probably be caught in this hard to blockable trap]

With bane the sweep finish seems to be good too. However unlike wonderwoman you aren't granted the free jump in. You can stand and block all his options. The teeth will punish the shoulder charge (you can actually react to this and hit him out of it), you can whiff punish the venom uppercut, and the teeth will punish his wake up command throw even if you fail to back dash it. Bane has epic back dash range though, and he can easily get out of the teeth set up even if you have the hard knockdown with sweep.
Because of this im slowly leaning towards finishing the combos with the 2 flower teeth reset.
Finishing with 3,2 flower and 2,1 flower is also ideal as it spaces you at the distance so that your j3 will beat banes venom uppercut.
I havent experimented much using 3,2,3 teeth but i expect it to be punishable given there is no untechable knockdown. Either that or it suffers from the same issues faced by the sweep ender.

What are your thoughts guys?
Cat

What are you guys using for anti air and what is getting you out of pressure on wake up? D2 as anti air seems slow. May flower is better?

Gilbagz

Joker here~
What are you guys using for anti air and what is getting you out of pressure on wake up? D2 as anti air seems slow. May flower is better?
d2 is slow but it can be used. You have to be waiting for it. Standing 2 is also decent.
You can also use pre emptive ji2 or ji1, and just air to air combo them (doesnt work against a lex ji3 obviously lol)

For getting outta pressure on wake up I use parry. Unless the attack is meaty, parry wins every time. Risky though cuz you have to read high or low. For jump ins, I just block. Doesn't feel like he can safely wake up.

laudanum09

Darling
Flower is invincible on wakeup and safe I believe. Having an invincible and SAFE wakeup in any fighting game is GDLK. Of course Joker isn't the only one that has this, I think Nightwing for one has a safe wakeup move...also unless the frame data changes for wakeup moves, it is also +4 on block.

Also, Comrade, what do you mean by after push back? Joker seems kinda bad in the punishment department...

Cat

This guy looks kind of tuff...
Guys just some stuff i've noticed
Joker has a fake mids =.=, namely f+2,3.

- ji2 into 3 is interruptible with armour, parries and trades with some pokes.
- ji2 into f+2,3 is duckable on the second hit.
- ji2 into 2,1,2 is duckable on the second hit of the 1 (Edit: Just tested this again and does not whiff if you do it off a ji2. It does whiff off neutral crouch though.)

From this, it seems the best options for ji2 is
1,1,3 which is +1 and 2,1,3 which is also +1.

After 1,1,3 you are positioned so that most d1's will whiff but your b1,3 can still connect. And since you are at +1, the b1 comes out at 8 frames which should beat alot of normals. This is obviously character specific with some characters having longer ranged d1s or faster d2's and d3's (ww for example as a 8 frame d2 and d3 in sword stance). But even for these characters you still have the low parry to beat out their normals.
For 2,1,3 you are left in range for d1. You're d1 will come out at 5 frames so it should be everything (perhaps you could armour or parry.)

For all these set ups im pretty sure you can back dash out though. Still trying to figure out jokers option to catch back dashes. I'm thinking of just using the gun and take the free damage.

Some other stuff of note. Doing b1,3 is -4 on block. Parry has a 2 frame start up. So it is kind of safe since the fastest moves are like 6 frames. Obviously this can be baited and punished, but just something to note. They do not get free pressure after blocking a b1,3.

Combo Enders
Just stuff for combo enders. I've been ending combos with either sweep into oki teeth, or the 2 flower teeth reset. I have been using 3,2,3 teeth to catch people who are sleeping and forget to tech roll. With the sweep, it seems mostly safe. I've been able to block most wake up attacks, and backdash out of longer range unblockable stuff (banes command throw).

Finishing combos with 2,1 flower and 3,2 flower also leaves you at the ideal range to land a ji3.

Character specific stuff
With Wonderwoman always go for the sweep knockdown finisher imo. Her wake up dp misses even if you go for the jump in, (havent tested her lasso spin but im guessing delayed j3 should beat it). If she does the wake up dp, she does get out free though. If you stand there blocking, you should be able to whiff punish.
Once you get her laying there though, her only option is to backdash on wake up to try use the invincibility to beat the teeth. Since her back dash range is so short, you can catch her with a j3 and the teeth will connect. Off this you can go into teeth loops or finish with a standard combo. [Other characters with short back dashes will probably be caught in this hard to blockable trap]

With bane the sweep finish seems to be good too. However unlike wonderwoman you aren't granted the free jump in. You can stand and block all his options. The teeth will punish the shoulder charge (you can actually react to this and hit him out of it), you can whiff punish the venom uppercut, and the teeth will punish his wake up command throw even if you fail to back dash it. Bane has epic back dash range though, and he can easily get out of the teeth set up even if you have the hard knockdown with sweep.
Because of this im slowly leaning towards finishing the combos with the 2 flower teeth reset.
Finishing with 3,2 flower and 2,1 flower is also ideal as it spaces you at the distance so that your j3 will beat banes venom uppercut.
I havent experimented much using 3,2,3 teeth but i expect it to be punishable given there is no untechable knockdown. Either that or it suffers from the same issues faced by the sweep ender.

What are your thoughts guys?
Cat
Good stuff. As for combo Enders I'm using 323 for the most part as it is a hard knockdown and they can't tech roll. So I get a free jump in that only a few ppl can wake up attack on it. It's good to get in for more pressure into grabs. Or 113 or other stuff like b1.

Cat

This guy looks kind of tuff...
Also stuff I posted in another thread. Don't think I posted it here

323 on block is safe. And puts you at a distance where most ppl d1 will whiff. I usually wait for the d1 and whiff punish it with f23 gas tank mb for a combo.

F21 on block gives advantage. Where gun shot will beat out ppl who back dash or jump back after.
If they try to jump towards you. Flower will beat them out before they even get over you.

Meter burn gas tank leaves you at advantage where your b1 has to be block. They can't dash away or jump or press a button. You can also do crowbar and it too can't be jumped out or poked out. Or back dashed.

Gilbagz

Joker here~
Good stuff. As for combo Enders I'm using 323 for the most part as it is a hard knockdown and they can't tech roll. So I get a free jump in that only a few ppl can wake up attack on it. It's good to get in for more pressure into grabs. Or 113 or other stuff like b1.

Also stuff I posted in another thread. Don't think I posted it here

323 on block is safe. And puts you at a distance where most ppl d1 will whiff. I usually wait for the d1 and whiff punish it with f23 gas tank mb for a combo.

F21 on block gives advantage. Where gun shot will beat out ppl who back dash or jump back after.
If they try to jump towards you. Flower will beat them out before they even get over you.

Meter burn gas tank leaves you at advantage where your b1 has to be block. They can't dash away or jump or press a button. You can also do crowbar and it too can't be jumped out or poked out. Or back dashed.
Oh wow may need to experiment a bit more with 3,2,3. The only thing I don't really like about this wake up stuff is that it crosses over and pushes them further from the corner. Unless by skipping the teeth it allows you to reposition and get a safe neutral jump 3. I might save the safe jump set ups to reverse position and force the corner.
I feel alot of his enders will be character and position specific. I.e. against short back dashes i'd rather take the hard to blockable teeth set up off sweep. Idk got to experiment a bit more and see what's optimal for most situations.

Cool, didnt know that about 3,2,3. Might end up using f+2,3 to whiff punish more instead of just b+1,3 lol. Is it possible to use standing 3 to whiff punish, cuz the range on that seems to be pretty decent.

Also, does 1,1 really link into rlg? Cuz that would fill a huge hole in his game. Then you could hit confirm the gas can, or block confirm into 1,1,3 into b+1,3/f+2,3 set ups.

So many set ups off his strings on block lol. With the gun though, if you read incorrectly, do you think you could hold the gun and back dash out of the jump in after the f+2,1?

I don't really like mb rlg mid string. Its good if people try to reaction armour the rlg, but you can easily just jump and punish. Its got epic block adavantge, but I feel that its just a gimmick that people will be able to reaction jump after the game gets older. Good for catching people sleeping but other than that doesnt seem that great. (Might be a decent mix up off 1,1 cuz the 3/2 follow up are overheads. But even still its super slow.)

Some random theory crafting: I was thinking, Joker is meant to have near unblockables with 3 HA's. So I was thinking that maybe a parry on hit gives a hard knockdown. Someone said that parry is negative on hit, but the parry is a multi hit move right? So maybe the frame data is incorrect. If it does give a hard knockdown, maybe on 3 Ha's you can get a set of teeth out and get an insta jump 3 cuz of the shorter jump arc. Just theory crafting, no clue if any of this would work, but maybe it does lol.

Cuz otherwise the only real use I found for parry is keeping people honest after blocking a b+1,3. Its still a 50/50 guess with high or low, but it'll make people think otherwise before pressing buttons. The risk reward seems way too skewed out of his favour though with the parry...

Going to experiment more with it and see if I can find anything substantial.

Edit: Just checked the frame data. Parry is +13 on hit. Jump 3 has a start up of 9 frames, and with 3 Ha's we should come be able to combo off of insta j3. All theory crafting but I think there really may be something here. [Right now comboing off j3 is kinda hard, with the timing on 2,1,2 already being difficult. With the Ha boost, the shorter jump arcs should making comboing off of j3 much easier.]
I'll test later in the week, i'll let you guys know my findings.

laudanum09

Darling
Cool stuff. Yeah, 1,1 3 and f.2, 3 all cancel into RLG. The problem is that 1,1 and f.2, 3 whiff on crouching opponents. The first hit of 1,1 and the second of f.2, 3. f.2, 3 and 1,1 is great for hit confirming, it's real easy to do and practice but the problem is committing to something that can be crouched. The way this game is set up, you can't hit confirm the jump in combo itself, only the cancel with these longer combos. Once you jump, you have to commit to a string, so what's the point of a hit confirm if you can be poked out of it on block? It seems like the safer and more advantageous option on block is just 3, MB RLG, both for the safety of it and for the advantage you get after if blocked.

Gilbagz

Joker here~
Cool stuff. Yeah, 1,1 3 and f.2, 3 all cancel into RLG. The problem is that 1,1 and f.2, 3 whiff on crouching opponents. The first hit of 1,1 and the second of f.2, 3. f.2, 3 and 1,1 is great for hit confirming, it's real easy to do and practice but the problem is committing to something that can be crouched. The way this game is set up, you can't hit confirm the jump in combo itself, only the cancel with these longer combos. Once you jump, you have to commit to a string, so what's the point of a hit confirm if you can be poked out of it on block? It seems like the safer and more advantageous option on block is just 3, MB RLG, both for the safety of it and for the advantage you get after if blocked.
Hey man. Off a ji2, even though they can crouch the 1,1. The first hit jails so the first 1 is still blocked despite them crouching. So my go to string off ji2 now is 1,1,3 or 2,1,2. Both cannot be interrupted.
With ji2 into 3 MB RLG. You can armour/parry out. Ji2 into 3 is not guaranteed.

I believe it is possible to hitconfirm off the ji2 though with 1,1 so if that does link that should be good.

laudanum09

Darling
Hey man. Off a ji2, even though they can crouch the 1,1. The first hit jails so the first 1 is still blocked despite them crouching. So my go to string off ji2 now is 1,1,3 or 2,1,2. Both cannot be interrupted.
With ji2 into 3 MB RLG. You can armour/parry out. Ji2 into 3 is not guaranteed.

I believe it is possible to hitconfirm off the ji2 though with 1,1 so if that does link that should be good.

Hmm...okay, not that I don't believe you, but how do I properly test this in training mode? When I recorded the dummy doing ji2, 1,1 I would crouch block after the ji2 and the first 1 would always whiff and I was able to stick out a poke during the whiff animation and stop the second 1. How do I set this up properly so I can see what you're talking about myself?

I hope I'm wrong about that first 1 whiffing because that'd be a solid hit confirm. F.2, 3 also whiffs on crouchers so is this the same in that I'm not setting it up in training properly?