What's new

Your Injustice 2 Hopes After this Latest MKXL Patch

Johnny Based Cage

The Shangest of Tsungs
The MKXL patch is out and everyone's got an opinion. Love it or hate it, what has it got you wanting to see more - or less - of in the next NRS game? What wheels of gameplay couch design has this latest Paulo offering gotten turning inside your heads regarding Injustice 2's impending release? I'll kick things off: here's hoping to all hell they go back to well-defined character/gameplay archetypes.

Grundy was a grappler. Grundy was everything a grappler is supposed to be. Cryomancer Sub-Zero is a rushdown character with a fucking command grab. Cryomancer Sub-Zero is wtf-is-that-even-omg. If they slap a command grab on the Flash in Injustice 2 I quit.

Zod was a zoner. Zod was everything a zoner is supposed to be. Kitana was a zoner too. Now Kitana also has some of the best pressure, mix-ups and armor around and who knows, maybe with a hotfix they can give her the command grab she's missing too because wtf why, NRS, what are you even doing?

So yeah, MKX/XL was and is a regression from Injustice in terms of offering well-defined character/gameplay archetypes, in large part due to limitations the variation system forces on that sort of diversity to begin with, but also because they're on this psychotic downward spiral of going more and more ham giving characters shit they don't need with every patch. If Bane makes it back for the sequel and has a spammable fucking projectile just because NRS has lost their damn minds and everyone needs to have all the things to them, I'm going to blow my brains out. So here's hoping they tone that shit down and return to form.

Who else wants what? Who thinks NRS is on the right track and who hopes they turn tf back around? Let's hear it all.

Amplified$hotz

I like Tekken 8
That characters can't just shut down other characters game plans.

Also hope that the game rewards solid fundamental play and punishes the bad. But then I'll lose more matches so I don't know.

Fred Marvel

It's actually Freddy Marvel
Another scary thing about this patch is the one size fits all mentality. If their solution to some invincible wake-up attacks being too strong is to get rid of them all in Injustice 2 the same way they did armored launchers in this game, lawd help us.
yeah that was th wildest idea ive ever seen, removing almost all armored launchers just because a few were op makes no sense lol and what scares me about the balance of INJ2 is they gave supergirl scorpions teleport and hella zoning tools so shes either already op or they got great at balancing.

and i hope the gear system is handled right, it sounds like they are still confused about what theyre doing with it

juicepouch

blink-182 enthusiast
That characters can't just shut down other characters game plans.

Also hope that the game rewards solid fundamental play and punishes the bad. But then I'll lose more matches so I don't know.
I think characters regulating each other fundamentally was just a result of the decision on NRS' part to have such defined archetypes for their characters for the first time. I hope with inj1 to build on they can alleviate some of it though

I hated half the cast with Grundy, lol

Zoning to not overpower characters that have to get in. If they have great zoning, they can't have great mixups and stuff up close. Each character should have a weakness to balance them out.

Trauma_and_Pain

Filthy Casual
  1. Grapplers have usable command grabs in neutral
  2. No armored launchers
  3. Stronger AA
  4. Tone down mixups. Nothing like wtf Tremor in the corner.
  5. Supergirl's side-switching telepunch better be a High
  6. Fix Batman's purse-holding stance. Batman doesn't hold anyone's purse.
  7. Make Atrocitus's napalm blood less firey and more liquidy
  8. Swamp Thing

Rozalin1780

Good? Bad? I'm the one with the fans
Personally, I'd rather they think outside the "archtype" mentality. While archtypes are fine, I'm just a bit bored with them. Not to mention, I'm tired of people who main rushdown characters complaining of zoning being OP or vice versa. Level the playing field for everyone. Characters can still have unique tools to make them interesting, especially when you've got something like the DCU to work with.

Johnny Based Cage

The Shangest of Tsungs
What mix up does kitana have that everyone is crying about now?

She has a overhead combo starter or something now?
Wait I'm confused. Is the op saying that Kitana and cryo are more broke then Zod and flash?
Came to discuss Injustice 2. Only hear and see more butthurt about Kitana.

Listen scrubs: Poke, armor, or backlash. See! Kitana is back to be ass again
My bad, I should've included a TL;DR for the children. This has literally nothing to do with how good or bad any character is and everything to do with the complete lack of gameplay identity in this cast that has only gotten worse with this latest patch.

NRS has given up on trying to balance zoners vs grapplers vs rushdown, etc. and instead decided a better solution would be to give everyone everything. You can't tell me that anyone looking for a Zangief or a Grundy can find that same experience in this game, partially because slapping a command grab or two on a character who shares 95% of a moveset with two other variations that aren't grapplers at all and calling it Wrestler doesn't suddenly make that variation a grappler either, and partially because they're giving out command grabs to everyone else for free too on top of that shit.

They're all over the place with the gameplay design in this game compared to their last one and their one-size-fits-all approach to the latest patch only further hurts the gameplay diversity. I don't give one single shit how good or bad Kitana is in this game, I just want to be able to play an actual grappler in the next one.