What's new

You win TYM I bought MK9

shaowebb

Get your guns on. Sheriff is back.
Played some more today, but not as much as I did the other day (had to do some errands). Anyhow I played through Kabal, Cyber Sub Zero, Nightwolf, and am now on Raiden. I gotta say Cyber Sub Zero feel legit. Maybe its the ice counter or bombs, maybe its the general speed and divekicks but he felt good. Didn't really care for his teleport though. Also I have to say Noob feels like he will always frustrate me if I'm playing ANYONE without a fast teleport or incredible horizontal projectiles. I'm betting Kabal could kill him way easier than Cyber Sub Zero did in story. Anyhow I'm impressed by Cyber Sub Zero and could see him as a fun dude to poke through later.

Also Nightwolf felt surprisingly easy to combo with. Tomahawk, punch, Tomahawk was the first thing I tried and I was surprised it actually worked. In fact I was surprised the first time I accidently popped an arrow point blank trying to get tomahawk that it wasn't really easy to punish me for the mistake...at least Sindel didn't seem to act like she could. Anyhow Nightwolf was another surprisingly fun guy to play for me. Neither him or Cyber Sub Zero felt as easy or smooth as Kung Lao or Sonya to me, but they were definitely fun and do-able.

Can't say I care for Raiden yet. He just feels slow and punishable to me. Damage seemed cool on a few things, but I like em faster and safer than this. Not everyone can be Kung Lao or Smoke and I'm betting there are folks who rock the guy, but I can tell I wont be one. I like it faster than how he felt. Maybe I'm supposed to zone though or something because I stayed point blank with the guy and it felt bad.

Anyhow loving it more and more as I go on and I keep finding fun little dudes to explore in between working on Smoke. If anyone wants to chime in to tell me what I did right or wrong I'm all ears. I love hearing meta talk and anything I got wrong I'd love to know. The Stryker/Jade talk earlier was great so If any Nightwolf, Cyber Sub Zeroes, or Raiden's want to chime in I'd love to hear more.

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
Ya Raiden sucks, least fun character in the game, only fun you can have with him is playing really laggy matches online and abusing his teleport, not even to like win, just to be a jerk.

I love Cyber Sub, his normals, parry and divekicks are boss. He is a pretty bad character though, not as bad as Jade or Stryker, but he has some problems. Mostly he's probably the worst designed character in the game, his specials are just a hodgepodge of Cyrax and Sub-zero but not as good. I can't say for sure, but he might have been the victim of being one of the last characters to make it in the game, and they might have rushed him out. He is such a cool looking character, nice animations on his normals/strings, and his ice sword is way better then his brothers, I hope he returns in MK10 and they ditch a bunch of his specials and replace them with useful ones.

shaowebb

I just love how the game builds up to the last chapter and then you play as Raiden who feels like a let down lol. But not just a little Raiden... back to back 3 man endurance bouts and Shao Kahn lol.

Didn't really take long to figure out Shao Kahn, but doing it and knowing what to do are two different things. Avoid hammer throws, teleport punish everything except his spear since it looks to be cancelable and I can't beat it. I can get damage off of the Superman or Uppercut that are decent if he's got a breaker so I don't have to worry if he's got meter. Takes awhile to get the timing down on punishing some things and you can straight up block punish some crap so long as he doesn't start EX canceling things. Its pretty much an endurance challenge though because he takes so long and a single botch is half your life. Dude's health and damage are troll though since X-ray does crap all to him and his does 2/3rds or something to you if you get hit (hammer toss and then x-rayed for the lose at last hit lol).

Loving the game. Now that story is out of the way I'll spend more time on Smoke training. I tried to bring this up to some dudes I chat with about Marvel, but most are only concentrating on one game. A few respected it, but wouldn't play and one dude was all neckbeard since he had played it at launch for a whole week before returning it lol. Dude has a history of trash talking anything I like though so whatever. I wish I could get people to give the game a chance that I know, but to each their own. I won't gripe at them for not liking what I like or vice versa. Is this sort of reaction a thing with this game? Folks wanted to talk universal normals and junk, but I don't really see the ones in the game as an issue in the slightest. Is there some sort of stigma around MK9 or something? Folks in Marvel groups I'm in just sort of blow it off or outright trash talk it for some reason.

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
Is there some sort of stigma around MK9 or something
3 things
10 years of shitting out crappy game after crappy game gives you kind of a bad reputation.
Games pretty buggy, Marvel kinda buggy.
That and the game is kind of a weird mixture between 2d and 3d fighting game mechanics, so Capcom only players kinda struggle a bit with some of it. The people who played it from other groups were mostly Capcom players and Tekken players, and the Tekken players did a lot better.

There is also a some other small things, and the block button, which IDK people have a real hard time with that for some reason.

shaowebb

Block Button takes some getting used to, but I played a ton of DOA before I even got big on Marvel since I do Kung Fu and it had someone actually playable that did Drunken Boxing properly (I love that form). So yeah, Block Button wasn't a deal to me. I love that the guy who wanted to trash talk MK9 for bugginess didn't really bring up the fact that as a Marvel 3 player we have seen a TON of bugs. DHC Glitch was so game breaking that it changed team structures to incorporate cinematic hyper users just to get rid of damage scaling on teams in combos. Camera glitches, Tatsu wasn't really glitched but had to be patched several times for loops and nigh infinites, plus TAC glitches leading to infinites and capture glitches in Ultimate that lead to unscaled damage with combos using capture state assists.

I don't know anything about MK9 glitches, but it kind of bugged me that one of our guys on the Marvel scenes was throwing stones in our obviously glass house. Course like I said, that guy has a huge history of trying to crap on me so whatever. Like what you want, hate what you want but acknowledge the positive and faults of both games is all I'm saying.

Honestly, I quit playing Marvel for college reasons and even though it was damned fun it mainly demanded you play pixies or use really abusable cheap stuff and I never play those kind of things. It wasn't a very rewarding experience being a Ryu main in vanilla and an Iron Fist main in ultimate...zoned. To. Death.

Now all I play are KoF XIII and from what I can tell MK9. MK9 just feels really unique in some of its combos and cast and I'm hooked. KoF XIII in spite of its harsh difficulty of combos is probably the most balanced fighter I've ever played. Expect me to spend more time here as I dig deep. I'm loving this game and I'm sorry I missed it.

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
MK9 was sorta there first try at making a deeper fighting game then the stuff they did in the past, mostly because Warner Brothers bought them and actually gave them time and money to make a proper video game, instead of the crap Midway provided.

MK9 is a solid game but its very rough around the edges and suffers from being the first game in a new series, which does tend to effect most fighting games. They made some rookie mistakes when it comes to mechanics and character balance, and suffers from a lot of new game bugs. Its a game that desperately needs a updated iteration, which is why some of the MK community are not too thrilled about Injustice, they would have rather had a UMK9.

That said, so far, well Injustice is kind of a very different game then MK, it still uses the same engine, and right now it appears to have fixed a lot of the problems. We still have to see what kind of training mode the game has, and if they completely fixed the hitboxes, but already it looks very promising.

shaowebb

MK9 was sorta there first try at making a deeper fighting game then the stuff they did in the past, mostly because Warner Brothers bought them and actually gave them time and money to make a proper video game, instead of the crap Midway provided.

MK9 is a solid game but its very rough around the edges and suffers from being the first game in a new series, which does tend to effect most fighting games. They made some rookie mistakes when it comes to mechanics and character balance, and suffers from a lot of new game bugs. Its a game that desperately needs a updated iteration, which is why some of the MK community are not too thrilled about Injustice, they would have rather had a UMK9.

That said, so far, well Injustice is kind of a very different game then MK, it still uses the same engine, and right now it appears to have fixed a lot of the problems. We still have to see what kind of training mode the game has, and if they completely fixed the hitboxes, but already it looks very promising.
Cool. That pretty much sums up all the questions I had on the perceptions of this game.

Now onto the fun stuff. Any tips on fighting Noob? That teleport throw is the bane of my life.