What's new

You win TYM I bought MK9

shaowebb

Get your guns on. Sheriff is back.
And it is awesome :)

I came here just for Injustice: Gods Among Us and I had been on the fence, but very impressed with MK9 after catching it at EVO for two years. Finally broke down and bought the game and I am really really impressed. The matches feel really fast and the footsies are great. Breakers are about what I expected (a priority) and combos/specials are pretty easy. However, there is a lot of depth here from what I'm getting so far. I got it and spent probably the past several hours grinding on it trying to learn a few basics and I am hooked.

As expected I'm loving Smoke whose smokebomb move won me over from vids as the guy I most wanted to play. Guy feels like he should wreck house. Surprised by how good some other cast was too. Cyrax is pretty fun with his air throw, but geez Sonya came out of nowhere to impress me. I remember her being garbage historically and apparently for tourney MK stuff she got a major overhaul. Seriously betting I could make something with a backpocket Sonya.

Anyhow, I just posted this to let everyone here who has seen me constantly hyping the Injustice thread know that there analogies to MK9 and stuff finally pushed me over the edge and made me want to jump in on this title I skipped to grind away at MVC3 games. Apparently I missed a lot.

Any pointers for me other than dont jump? I'm noticing AA in this game is pretty fast and decent.

shaowebb

I'm definitely having fun here and I am amazed at the depth of single player content in this for a fighter. I've read and researched and sort of nodded approvingly from the sidelines for awhile at this game after being a part of the initial group of skeptics at its announcement. I'm playing pad-warrior for now though I got two sticks. Not really thinking stick will make too big a difference on this game considering the block button and all (never played guys who needed a button held like Zero in MVC3 because it felt awkward on stick).

I can tell from things that the frame data will be something I will have to study due to the various startup and recovery differences I've felt just poking through arcade and story mode. Glad I went with Smoke though. He feels great, but I am shocked that Sonya Blade turned out this good. She's like this bizarre cross between Andy Bogard from KoF, and various other stuff or something so far from what I'm getting. Crazy good angles on her kicks though.

Also I'm not certain how accurate this is or not, but from messing around it looks like Kung Lao may have one of the most ridiculous teleports I have ever seen in terms of how good it is. Continue to feed me advice as you see fit TYM. Thanks for helping me get off the fence on this game. I'll grind at it and likely play between it KoF and Injustice over the next year.

shaowebb

shaowebb
I think Kung Lao's teleport is supposed to be bad, though. I can't remember >_>
Really? It seemed like it was working like a ridiculously fast full screen low...oh well its fun to use regardless. I'll keep poking my way through cast to get some general impressions and then work my way into a list of dudes I want to try learning besides Smoke and Sonya to run through and check info on.

I'm just glad I came to this community. Everyone's been really friendly over in the I:GAU area and all the info I kept hearing on top of my own general research just made me go in on this. Its feeling like one of the best purchases I've caved on in a long while.

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
KL teleport is really good, but people have become very good at scouting it and punishing it.

It allows him to ignore a lot of characters general bullshit.

shaowebb

Amazing! You picked the BEST character in the game right out of the gates!!! Smoke smoke smoke! Have fun.

Sent from my jailbroken iPhone using a pirated copy of Tapatalk
I thought from how everyone talked Kabal was the best? Oh well, in any case Smoke had me pretty hard when I was browsing to see how characters were revisioned. As soon as I saw a projectile that fast that teleported people towards him for combos I fell in love with the gimmick. It was such a cool idea for a move that I really wanted to use him. He looked fast and his combos just looked so fun with that option to tack onto them for extensions or starters.

Other characters I watched vids of who looked fun to use in no particular order.
  • Noob Saibot for his ability to shoot clones. Just visually fun and some of his combos looked pretty fun using them. Loop sorta stuff.
  • Sub Zero for the traps. I love his ice clone ability. Its such a douchebag way to ruin a rushdown or jump in attempt. Looks like it would restrict folks to zoning or teleports making them predictable.
  • Kabal because honestly I always played him back in the day and his projectiles and dash look like they'd be fun
  • Rain because I have a thing for hydrokinesis and his water effects looked cool along with his combos
  • Ermac or Kenshi because they simply look cool and telekinetic moves are fun in general to enjoy visually in their combos

Thats pretty much it aside from anyone turning out to be a surprisingly fun character if I pick them up like Sonya looks to be. Likely if I start messing around with anyone else seriously along with Smoke it will be whoever feels the most fun in their combos.

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
Kabal, Kenshi, Kung Lao, Freddy, and Sonya are arguably the best characters in the game.

People tend to overrate Cyrax and Smoke because of there ability to do 100% combos.

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
And it is awesome :)

I came here just for Injustice: Gods Among Us and I had been on the fence, but very impressed with MK9 after catching it at EVO for two years. Finally broke down and bought the game and I am really really impressed. The matches feel really fast and the footsies are great. Breakers are about what I expected (a priority) and combos/specials are pretty easy. However, there is a lot of depth here from what I'm getting so far. I got it and spent probably the past several hours grinding on it trying to learn a few basics and I am hooked.

As expected I'm loving Smoke whose smokebomb move won me over from vids as the guy I most wanted to play. Guy feels like he should wreck house. Surprised by how good some other cast was too. Cyrax is pretty fun with his air throw, but geez Sonya came out of nowhere to impress me. I remember her being garbage historically and apparently for tourney MK stuff she got a major overhaul. Seriously betting I could make something with a backpocket Sonya.

Anyhow, I just posted this to let everyone here who has seen me constantly hyping the Injustice thread know that there analogies to MK9 and stuff finally pushed me over the edge and made me want to jump in on this title I skipped to grind away at MVC3 games. Apparently I missed a lot.

Any pointers for me other than dont jump? I'm noticing AA in this game is pretty fast and decent.
Wise decision. See you in the Smoke forums.

Gh0sty

ばかみたいに無料
I thought from how everyone talked Kabal was the best? Oh well, in any case Smoke had me pretty hard when I was browsing to see how characters were revisioned. As soon as I saw a projectile that fast that teleported people towards him for combos I fell in love with the gimmick. It was such a cool idea for a move that I really wanted to use him. He looked fast and his combos just looked so fun with that option to tack onto them for extensions or starters.

Other characters I watched vids of who looked fun to use in no particular order.
  • Noob Saibot for his ability to shoot clones. Just visually fun and some of his combos looked pretty fun using them. Loop sorta stuff.
  • Sub Zero for the traps. I love his ice clone ability. Its such a douchebag way to ruin a rushdown or jump in attempt. Looks like it would restrict folks to zoning or teleports making them predictable.
  • Kabal because honestly I always played him back in the day and his projectiles and dash look like they'd be fun
  • Rain because I have a thing for hydrokinesis and his water effects looked cool along with his combos
  • Ermac or Kenshi because they simply look cool and telekinetic moves are fun in general to enjoy visually in their combos

Thats pretty much it aside from anyone turning out to be a surprisingly fun character if I pick them up like Sonya looks to be. Likely if I start messing around with anyone else seriously along with Smoke it will be whoever feels the most fun in their combos.
Naw bro, it's Smoke. Best there is. Search "smoke" + "best" on TYM or goggle. Trust me.

shaowebb

You know what the best thing about getting into this game is besides playing it? The character designs for these outfits are really good which means I have one more awesome thing to do art of between concept work at the indie studio I'm with <3

Gh0sty

ばかみたいに無料
You know what the best thing about getting into this game is besides playing it? The character designs for these outfits are really good which means I have one more awesome thing to do art of between concept work at the indie studio I'm with <3
Ninja pajamas FTW.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
You must do some sub zero art! XD

D

Deleted member 9158

MK9 is a great game, glad you're joining us. I find a lot of people are skeptical of the game cause it isn't made by capcom

shaowebb

MK9 is a great game, glad you're joining us. I find a lot of people are skeptical of the game cause it isn't made by capcom
Being an Iron Fist player with no mixups and a rough ride getting people into the corner for frame trap offense I was ready to try other fighters by this point lol. Honestly, by flipping to the competitors I've found a lot of great things. KoF XIII has to be the most balanced and honest thing I've ever played, but its high learning curve is rough. Definitely not a game you casual or play very many cast on. MK9 is showing me a different style of footsie play that still somehow keeps enough shenanigans to fulfill the craving for the crazy stuff I like seeing in fighters as an MVC player. Best part is even though there is high depth to its contents there isn't a lot of input skill mastery required to start working on training for that stuff. After doing HD mode super cancel combos for Andy Bogard going from his shoryu motion into a qcf buffered tatsu motion for his Neomax I got to say I am GLAD that I can play a game with depth where the good stuff can be done clutch far more consistently since the inputs are easier.

I won't lie when I tell you I was super skeptical of MK9 before it launched thinking that since MK had never been competitive before that it was all just fan hype pushing it on me. I happily admitted that I was waaaaaay wrong about it though upon watching it being played by serious folks though and gladly ate crow over it. It earned my respect pretty quickly when I'd see it on streams. Boy did NRS prove my skepticism wrong. I watched both its EVO's and was impressed each time even though since I was coming from Neogaf it seemed I was pretty alone in my respect for it as a serious game. Not a big crowd over there though I got to say I did spend most of my time in the MVC threads since I was training up on fighters for the first time on that game.

Took me forever to get off the MvC3 rush and now that I'm dull on it I'm game surfing and this one's crowd has been good to me and have impressed me with their dedication. I can't wait to actually get good enough to start subscribing to live again to play some.

Smoke_Of_Finland

Believe in the hop kick
If you are going to be playing as Smoke then be prepared for people to just... KU-KU-KU-KUNG LAO!

Jax and Sektor are good secondaries if you get tired of the counterpicking with Smoke's bad MU's... Or just pick up Kabal or Kung Lao lol.