What's new

Match-up Discussion You stink of stench - Lobo Match-up Chart

DesuBlade

Augmented Wallet Squeeze
Lobo vs GL is 8-2 there is now punish for lantarns might at sweep everything to slow even his dash is usless IMO
Wat. Lobo/Lantern is not 8-2. You must be a pretty bad Lobo if you think it's 8-2. It's 6-4 mainly. If you can bait out the slide or Lantern's light, it's much easier.

Just played the Lobo vs Hawkgirl matchup. This matchup was extremely tough, but I might be a scrub so iono. A lot of Hawkgirl's offense shit's on Lobo's ability to control the mid-range game. Wing Evade screws all low hook attempts and hook grab is weird vs HG wakeup MC. I was able to get TK Down 3 to stuff a good portion of her wakeups, but it's really hard to time that now, thanks to the wakeup buff. I really need to fight more of this MU before I give it a MU number, but for now I think its 6-4 in HG's favor, maybe 7-3.

Dulllyanna

You're going to shoot guns at me?
Lobo vs GL is 8-2 there is now punish for lantarns might at sweep everything to slow even his dash is usless IMO
lol? Last I checked db3 punished lift reliably on block, and outside of that range you still get a free dash.

Cage Redfield that's not how you punish WE and MC. You wanna jump (Which direction depends on the move she does) and stuff them on the way down with p much any of Lobo's air normals. Mid shot could also work at certain spacing but it's better to take as much damage as you can against her when you get the chance. At neutral yeah she'll just AA you for free, so just be smart about it and take note of their tendencies. If you're unfamiliar with HG then running into a competent one is a really ugly wakeup call for most people.

Yeah, I started doing that more often on her wakeup after finding out Hook Grab wasn't stuffing her wakeups. And About WE vs Low Hook, I was trying to use that in the neutral game but every time I did, she was already doing WE 3 and I'd get dropkicked in the face for trying lol. As for MC, I stuck with MB Back 3 and it'd work great. I just used it at the wrong times, like when she's near death or when she has more meter than me for a clash lol.

DesuBlade

Augmented Wallet Squeeze
So, can we like.....make a new Match-up chart for Lobo since this one isn't getting updated?

Dulllyanna

You're going to shoot guns at me?
imho it's too early for concrete numbers, especially when the game is still being changed with every DLC character that comes out.

Cage Redfield: mb B3 works, but Lobo is such a meter whore that it's still generally good to know how to beat her options with jumping in the right direction. You can punish MC by doing so even if she cancels into it, and there's not exactly a lot she can punish jumping back with if you're smart about it. WE 2 (The overhead) is obviously a bit more risky to mess around with, but WE3 (The long range drop kick) is in the same boat as MC in terms of how you can mess it up.

Jaku2011

Filled with determination
Definitely agree with Grundy being a god-awful matchup. Walking corpse just beats everything I do.

Does anyone have advice for the KF matchup? Her slide stuff almost EVERYTHING lobo does, and manages to look stupid doing it. Like hook charge, KF stands up, my shoulder hits her, she moves back with lobo and then goes into her slide, and subsequently that stupid looking hackeysack combo. Party crasher kinda rolls off her body until sliding hackeysack. Low chain just kinda lies their limply while she slides in front of it, laughing at your flaccid chain. It even seems like armor b3 gets beat, somehow. At least it did the few times I tried it last night.
Jumping seems to put you out of range for any follow up, and (my) jumpins getting stuffed by hers.

Note: this is based off the set I played last night, and I have not had time to go to the lab yet. Instead, I'd rather be lazy and let some one else tell me what to do.

Jaku2011

Filled with determination
Did a long set with RunwayMafia a few nights ago I got destroyed but I came close a few times to beating his Frost jb 2 into a combo works if you predict the slide I kept dropping the combo but it seemed doable with some practice. you can also try mb bf3 on her wake up and pray the armor comes out in time. As for a blocked slide I found b13 to be fairly good since its a fast low. That's about all I got she beats Lobo pretty hard.

Lumpymoomilk

Online Punching Bag
Lol the more I play Lobo the more I think some matches are manageable against top tiers but some are just stupidly bad. For example I have very little trouble with Aquaman, Superman is not that bad except for his better strings and laser keep away, but Hawkgirl, Grundy, Black Adam all can do whatever they want against him. Grundy just stumbles in with his armor all day, his only weakness is zoning and Lobo has none, hawkgirl is always at a safe distance from anything he can try and counter it seems and Black Adam can laugh at you from full screen.

Lord Hollow

The Sage Of Michigan.
I try to zone Grundies with Pump shots. I meter burn them if I feel paranoid, too. They tend to like to double dash from a distance, I have Low Space Hook on a hair trigger for that. Not saying it's fool proof by any means, but I do last longer than i normally do when I play this way.

What do you guys do against characters that kinda blow up Lobos oki game with their wakeups? Do you bait the wake-up and then proceed? Am I just timing things wrong? I've been baiting, but I really like that feeling of forcing the other people to play my game you can get from playing Lobo. Playing counter attack isn't really his style (or so I feel), since most of his attacks are too slow to really be effective. ( Especially against Supes, that guy has so much block advantage that you have to wait for them to fuck up before you can do anything.)

Lord Hollow

The Sage Of Michigan.
Baiting their wake up is part of the oki. very few special moves are safe anyway, especially when whiffed. Have a way to punish that leads to big damage. 1,2, Czar toss is a popular one with me. At the very least, punish with a low space hook, which resets the situation anyway. good way to bait is backdash, then low space hook.

Red Venom

The Main Man of TYM
A new match-up thread is going to be compiled in the coming weeks, although for Superman and GL I feel the match-up is 6-4 in their favor, easily 7-3 depending on the player. The simple fact that supes trait breaks armor give Lobo no options especially considering how he can keep you at bay with lasers even if they don't hit he builds meter doing so and if he gets full meter you in a very dangerous position. As for GL he can mix us up pretty well and the lantern might can catch dashing jumping or if a special move whiffs. Not to mention his Ji overhead...

Isn't that lightning pretty unsafe? I think you can jump it on reaction, maybe d3 to extend the jump, land blocking, and get in on him. Just make sure he doesn't do the stupid static-dust cloud, pretty sure that catches you in the air.

While I have lost to Blah Adam, I feel like most of his full screen shenanigans are slow enough to react to. For him to dive kick you full screen, he need to be at the top of his jump arc, so you should be able to block standing if you see that. Then he's in range for you. not sure if it's safe for him on block or not, but at least he had to get near you. The lightning, like i said earlier, basically mails you an RSVP for the event, so you should be able to jump it. I think the black magic(is that what it is?) might be the hardest to see, but it's still pretty slow. Just be patient, get in on him and unleash Lobo hell on their ass.

Red Venom

The Main Man of TYM
From my perspective.... 6-4 theres no way the match is in our favor. Shes to insane for me to handle.

Lumpymoomilk

Online Punching Bag
While I have lost to Blah Adam, I feel like most of his full screen shenanigans are slow enough to react to. For him to dive kick you full screen, he need to be at the top of his jump arc, so you should be able to block standing if you see that. Then he's in range for you. not sure if it's safe for him on block or not, but at least he had to get near you. The lightning, like i said earlier, basically mails you an RSVP for the event, so you should be able to jump it. I think the black magic(is that what it is?) might be the hardest to see, but it's still pretty slow. Just be patient, get in on him and unleash Lobo hell on their ass.
the dive kicks and the lightning and the back dashes are all so damn safe online, if I could play this game offline I think I would hate it much less.

Yeah, Hawk Girl can just hang out in the air full screen all game throwing mace, and the meterburn on her stupid charge is so annoying. I think the non-meterburned version is unsafe, but I'm to scared of the meterburn to punish.