What's new

General/Other - Smoke XL Robo Smoke Discussion Thread

jokey77

Character Loyalist
Propably I would mash d2 if I got pressured by an invisible smoke: This way I'd counter JIPs, highs, slower strings, throw, and so on.

boba_buster

Noob saibot
You would eat the b3 vortex and after a 1112 you would eat the d1 poke back into 50/50 so probly not the best idea but it might work

boba_buster

Noob saibot
Probly the best thing to do against a invis smoke would be a armor move , the last thing smoke wants to do while invis is block because he loses invis , and if you try to block while smoke is invis he can jus oh\low you to open u up cause he can see how ur blocking

jokey77

Character Loyalist
Ofc the odds favour Smoke. There is an answer for everything. However I want to counter as many likely options as possible.

What I work on are options that can hardly be countered by mashing/armor moves. E.g. d3/b3~fade away, then b21-[hitconfirm]-spear. But even b3~smokebomb can be fine when u backdash on block, just to go for b21 again.

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
Yo guys, I just picked up Smoke and had him in the lab and didnt want to poke through 22 pages of forum...What is the point of invisibility beyond them not being able to see you? It doesn't give extra damage, but does it have some other property I'm not aware of?

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
Nothing extra, u can use ex invis mid combo tho
Hmm. considering his overhead and low options are too fast to react to anyway, I guess I dont fully understand the point of wasting a bar on ex invisible. I'm sure there are som shenanigans, but I dont know that I could bring myself to waste a bar that I could use in vortex, or breaker just to go invisible.

boba_buster

Noob saibot
Hmm. considering his overhead and low options are too fast to react to anyway, I guess I dont fully understand the point of wasting a bar on ex invisible. I'm sure there are som shenanigans, but I dont know that I could bring myself to waste a bar that I could use in vortex, or breaker just to go invisible.
It's reactable , maybe not so much online but it is , I was playing a local friend of mine online last night and I could visibly see him crouch blocking and standing to block the oh

jokey77

Character Loyalist
This is like the keyquestion that divides us smokeplayers in our beliefs.

- Some say that meter shall be used to make b3/b1 safe.
- Some say that meter shall be used for invisibility.

Like with real life religion only one perspective can be true. Unlike real life religion it is pretty obvious which one that is though. By adding invisibility you can make your vortex-game so much more powerful. Especially JIP, b3 (delayed or not) becomes a huge threat.

I can't stress this enough: The vortex by itself is pretty worthless. Combined with other shenanigans it becomes a source for damage.

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
This is like the keyquestion that divides us smokeplayers in our beliefs.

- Some say that meter shall be used to make b3/b1 safe.
- Some say that meter shall be used for invisibility.

Like with real life religion only one perspective can be true. Unlike real life religion it is pretty obvious which one that is though. By adding invisibility you can make your vortex-game so much more powerful. Especially JIP, b3 (delayed or not) becomes a huge threat.

I can't stress this enough: The vortex by itself is pretty worthless. Combined with other shenanigans it becomes a source for damage.
"pretty worthless" is a fairly strong thing to say. I guess I just dont understand that fully. I dont have as much experience as some of you day 1 guys have, but I feel like I go invisible, and B3/1 are still of the same value.

I wish someone would just make a video about all this and show everyone.

boba_buster

Noob saibot
Where's khaotik when u need him? Seriously I really don't think smoke is gonna be one of those single gameplan characters , he can hit 30% meterless midscreen easily and end in hard knock downs , while his normal suck for the neutral his variation specific stuff works great , you could easily play well without going for the vortex

Poser Paul

#1 Unbreakable
I use invisibility when I have full momentum, when they're scared to press buttons and most importantly, to close out a match

boba_buster

Noob saibot
I never said anyone , I said good players with good reactions , hell there's a 7 f diff in the low overhead , I wouldn't be surprised if someone could go to practice mode and learn it by timing alone

boba_buster

Noob saibot
And no that doesn't mean anybody's gonna do it perfect everytime but that makes it less than a 50/50 when they have a strategy to try and beat it

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
I never said anyone , I said good players with good reactions , he'll there's a 7 f diff in the low overhead , I wouldn't be surprised if someone could go to practice mode and learn it by timing alone
My brother and I sat in training mode together for awhile testing all the methods and neither of us could block it consistently. Became even harder when we started using the third option of throw. The timing is everything.

boba_buster

Noob saibot
U and ur brother should try figuring out the timing of letting go of down to block both , throws fuck everything up lol

jokey77

Character Loyalist
People need to Stop acting like everyone and their dog can block an 18 frame overhead like its a walk in the park.
I can't even block 21f moves consistantly (tried it with Quan Chis overhead on a pretty decent monitor). Fuzzyguarding correctly when the opponent acts on the first possible frame is another thing. But reacting to an 18f move in the heat of the battle doesn't seem realistic to me.

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
U and ur brother should try figuring out the timing of letting go of down to block both , throws fuck everything up lol
I understand blocking low until you see the overhead, but 18 frames is right around the average reaction time for a person if they're concentrating. So while you're sitting there waiting for the OH to come out, Smoke player holds the cards. If you can react well to it, kudos...

I remember back in IGAU people would argue about being able to see Aquaman's B2 coming which was like 25 frames.

Either way, I learned something, thank you.