What's new

Xbone vs PS4: Controllers and Online

Johnny San

Shazzy's Biggest Fan
PS4
Concern: I had MK9 on PS3 for a brief period. A lot of fun, but I could not connect to anyone outside of Australia at all. So I'm worried it'll be same with PS4.

Xbone
Concern: The controller. I've heard mixed reviews about the Xbone's controller. And seeing as how fucking horrid the 360's was for fighters, I don't wanna risk going through that again.
I think you'd have to do some research for the PS4 issue. Just ask around some internet forums about the PS4's international multiplayer.

As for the second issue, why don't you go to Best Buy or something and try out the gamepad yourself? All you're going to get online is people saying "it's shit" or "it's great" but that doesn't really help you. You're best bet is to simply try it out.

jrock920

Noob
i'm in the same boat i decided i'm going to buy a ps4 cause the controller and exclusive plus the ps4 is more powerful

Skkra

PSN: Skkra
You should probably buy whatever system is going to have the exclusives you want. For me, that's PS4. PS4 also seems to have the more powerful hardware this time around, plus I've always felt that it has the better controller, especially for fighting games (if you don't play on stick).

Anbu

AnbuSasukePro/KHAOTIC_ANBUx
I'm really disappointed with the quality of the PS4 controller. Initially I thought it was great. Good pad to play Injustice on and good analog sticks for FPS.

That is until it wears out in 5 months. My analogs are peeling and my Dpads buttons get stuck which is a HUGE problem when playing a fighting game. I've had the same PS3 controller for 3 years and it still works great.

WakeUp DP

GT MK OshTekk.
I'm getting the MKX stick. I'm a pad player but tired of dealing with bs. Just gonna have to learn stick I guess. Xbox pad sucks and ps4 isnt any better either.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
I would be very surprised if Etokki hasn't put out any products for the PS4 by the time MKX launches, especially since it looks like Sony has the next-gen home console market in Asia wrapped up free.

You should probably buy whatever system is going to have the exclusives you want. For me, that's PS4. PS4 also seems to have the more powerful hardware this time around, plus I've always felt that it has the better controller, especially for fighting games (if you don't play on stick).
Off topic, but I'm pretty sure the only system that Sony haven't been at the forefront hardware-wise was the PS2, and that was only because the original Xbox was bleeding-edge for it's time.

Skkra

PSN: Skkra
Off topic, but I'm pretty sure the only system that Sony haven't been at the forefront hardware-wise was the PS2, and that was only because the original Xbox was bleeding-edge for it's time.
True, but the 360 seemed to capture a greater market share since the PS3 architecture was apparently a bear to program for. I'm glad they rectified it this time around.

Urfost

Noob
The main difference will certainly be resolution, rendering in 1600x900 on X1 and 1920x1080 on PS4, maybe more rock solid 60fps. Both controllers have their ups, DS4 d-pad is great, i find it even better than the DS3's, but triggers and shoudlers buttons are better on X1.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
True, but the 360 seemed to capture a greater market share since the PS3 architecture was apparently a bear to program for. I'm glad they rectified it this time around.
That was more to do with Sony's PR suicide at E3 2006, if they had launched the PS3 at a mass-market price and weren't so full of themselves following the success of the PS1/PS2, they most likely would've had the majority of market share again.

The PS2 also had odd architecture and resulted in some iffy ports earlier on like MVC2 and DOA2, main difference was the PS2 didn't really have any viable competition so 3rd party developers had to force themselves to figure it out eventually.

I mean, you're not wrong, conventional architecture certainly doesn't hurt, but I don't think it determines market share by itself.

ColdBoreMK23

Noob Saibot
Here is my first hand experience with both consoles and controllers.

PS4
- The game has a shit ton of great games coming out in the next year, especially this Fall/Holiday season
- More Powerful
-When PS Now comes out, it will be amazing
- Graphics are definitly better whem compared to the Xbox One on multiplatform games

- The controller is amazing. I use it for Injustice and it works great. Responsive, the Dpad is a pleasure to use for inputs, and the buttons feel better.
- I'm still going to get a stick when MKX comes out hust because that is what I am more comfortable with

Xbox One
- I was disappointed with the games announced at E3. While the Halo collection and Sunset Overdrive is cool, I was disappointed with the lack of Gears and other games not making it.

- The controller is terrible for fighting games in my opinion. I tried using it for KI and I found myself dropping combos, missing inputs, and had a hard time dashing consistently. It could just be the inputs on KI are Quarter circle movements but even playing Sabrewulf was a chore and was frustrating.

- I ended up buying a cronus to use with my EightArc stick.

-I am still concerned that Microsoft doesn't know what they want out of the One.

I find myself getting bred quickly with the lack of games on both systems at the current juncture. BUT, Destiny is coming out and apparently PS4 will get DLC first and the other games coming out are sexy as all hell.

Just my personal experience thus far.

I think you'd have to do some research for the PS4 issue. Just ask around some internet forums about the PS4's international multiplayer.

As for the second issue, why don't you go to Best Buy or something and try out the gamepad yourself? All you're going to get online is people saying "it's shit" or "it's great" but that doesn't really help you. You're best bet is to simply try it out.
I've tried it out on my cousins Xbone.

All he plays is Cock of Doody.

So yeah, didn't get the kind of experience I wanted from it.

EDIT: Also, I'm Australian. Best Buy doesn't exist here (to my knowledge) lel

Well apparently the new USF4 Madcat is going to have a PS3/Ps4 toggle switch to use on both systems, since it comes out in August it will be prior to MKX release, so I guess it might be worth looking into!

http://www.joystiq.com/2014/06/05/mad-catz-ultra-street-fighter-4-stick-to-feature-ps3-ps4-toggle/
Thanks, but I don't play on stick. I've got a Hori one for 360 and, while it is fun pulling off combos on a stick (I feel a lot more accomplished from it haha), my mobility is fucking terrible because I can't dash consistently haha

TheSpore

Nurgle Chaos God of Death and Disease
Thanks, but I don't play on stick. I've got a Hori one for 360 and, while it is fun pulling off combos on a stick (I feel a lot more accomplished from it haha), my mobility is fucking terrible because I can't dash consistently haha
Im all pad buddy as well, just thought it was interesting. Madcatz shit is way over priced IMO.

Another thing you have to factor in is which version do you think will have more players online. PS4 have a console sales lead right now but who knows what will happen between now and when MKX will be released. If you have a lot of online friends on a particular system, then just go where the majority of your friends go, and adapt to whatever the controller is.

TheSpore

Nurgle Chaos God of Death and Disease
That it is. I mean, fuck, if I had the money, sure, but it's a tad ridiculous at times.
Now I will admit of PS3 and 360 the you can get a madcat fight pad for 20 bucks off amazon, so for tourneys and practice you were out like 40 bucks, but those sticks are uber expensive and they are all formatted to one system. Just spend the 200 and get adual mod if the stick is one's fancy.

Im all pad buddy as well, just thought it was interesting. Madcatz shit is way over priced IMO.
I disagree. Go to amazon and price out the sanwa parts that are in the 200$ madcatz fight stick. Decent buttons and a decent joystick is not cheap then factor in the xbox1 PCB, the wires, leds, the case, and the build quality and you can easily see how reasonable the 200$ price point is. 200$ is expensive and not cheap for a video game controller, but it's not overpriced for what you get.

I'd be interested to hear what other modders take are on the cost since I'm sure they are more familiar with the cost of parts. Early mods usually take the PCB right from an existing controller which means the initial cost before any parts starts at 60$ just for the controller you're going to tear apart for the build.