What's new

Xbone vs PS4: Controllers and Online

So with MKX being finally announced, I now have a reason to get a next-gen console. However, I'm unsure about which one I'd wanna get.

PS4
Incentive: The Dualshock controller is, from what I've seen, the go to pad for fighting games.
Concern: I had MK9 on PS3 for a brief period. A lot of fun, but I could not connect to anyone outside of Australia at all. So I'm worried it'll be same with PS4.

Xbone
Incentive: I'm trusting the online is better seeing as how with my 360 I was actually able to connect to games outside of Australia.
Concern: The controller. I've heard mixed reviews about the Xbone's controller. And seeing as how fucking horrid the 360's was for fighters, I don't wanna risk going through that again.

So yeah, this is a bit of catch 22 for me.

Care to discuss and help me (as well as others that I'm sure have the same incentives/concerns) make a decision?

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
Since the PS4 is out now, I'd think you could get some feedback about it and not compare it to experiences with other consoles. I personally have no problem with any sort of online play. But I understand your concern if you are out in Australia. I am sure there are some Aussie players you can talk to in order to see how their online experiences have been. I do not like the Xbox One controller personally, but there are some people who put up with it. Sony's controller design is far superior IMO.

EndofGameBoss

That's about right.
Graphics aren't the end all be all for me. I'm sure MKX will look fine on both consoles. The real question is, which console will EVO use?

ps...doesn't Xbone have dedicated servers?

Graphics aren't the end all be all for me. I'm sure MKX will look fine on both consoles. The real question is, which console will EVO use?

ps...doesn't Xbone have dedicated servers?
Fighting games won't use dedicated servers. They run P2P because there is no reason to connect both people to a server and constantly try to stay in sync with the server when you can just connect the 2 people to each other.

EndofGameBoss

That's about right.
PS4 has better exclusive titles from what I'm seeing. Shit, I'm considering buying a console for the first time in a long time just for Bloodborne
Bloodborne looked really good. I think I'm at the age though where I can't finish games anymore, which sucks. I lose attention and get bored very quickly. Fighting games and L4D are all I play now lol. Also, The Order looks pretty dope as well.

EndofGameBoss

That's about right.
Fighting games won't use dedicated servers. They run P2P because there is no reason to connect both people to a server and constantly try to stay in sync with the server when you can just connect the 2 people to each other.
Ah ok. Well I hope NRS ups their netcode. I keep hearing KI is amazing online.

DarKNaTaS

Retired!
Congrats for getting the 1 good one they made. Mine went back on Amazon and I ponied up for a dual mod. Much better.
How much did you pay to get a ps3 controller dual modded been thinking about getting another controller just to do that since the cronus max is supposedly banned for next Gen consoles

TheSpore

Nurgle Chaos God of Death and Disease
Buy a cronus max and you will be able to use your ps3 controller on Xbox one problem solved. That's what I do and I have had zero problems with it.
Those banned from tourneys last I heard!

Anyway, I honestly liked the X1 controller more than the DS4 , it has definitely been improved beyond the original 360.

I can't attest to the online side of the house, PS4 is a good system and their exclusives interest me more.

EndofGameBoss

That's about right.
LOL, I am 33 you big baby... Man the F up and finish your games!
LOL you're only 4 years older than me so idk. I just get super bored easily now. Tomb Raider was really awesome and I made it half way through. Then I turned it off and haven't played it in several months lol. I don't know, maybe I'm just not impressed anymore.

I'm not interested in whatever exclusives PS4 has. I play very few franchises these days because not a lot impresses me or keeps me entertained. If you wanna talk exclusives, the only one I'm interested is Killer Instinct. You know, on the Xbone? Chalk that up as another incentive.

LOL you're only 4 years older than me so idk. I just get super bored easily now. Tomb Raider was really awesome and I made it half way through. Then I turned it off and haven't played it in several months lol. I don't know, maybe I'm just not impressed anymore.
The reason I don't finish games is because I just end up going back and playing CS:GO. My steam library is fuckin HUGE and I might have played half of the games.

However, if I will always finish a From Software game. They are the shit.

I generally finish the games that actually captivate me.

I'm not interested in whatever exclusives PS4 has. I play very few franchises these days because not a lot impresses me or keeps me entertained. If you wanna talk exclusives, the only one I'm interested is Killer Instinct. You know, on the Xbone? Chalk that up as another incentive.
If that's the case then get the Xbox. If the controller turns out to be a problem, buy a fight stick, mod your controller, or buy a converter and a DS4. There are many solutions to the controller issue.

If that's the case then get the Xbox. If the controller turns out to be a problem, buy a fight stick, mod your controller, or buy a converter and a DS4. There are many solutions to the controller issue.
While Killer Instinct is another incentive to get an Xbone, the controller issue plays a massive part. And just I put in the OP, I don't wanna risk going through that again.

I mean, the Xbone controller seems a lot better, right? Now that it that Nintendo like D-pad it should be alright?

While Killer Instinct is another incentive to get an Xbone, the controller issue plays a massive part. And just I put in the OP, I don't wanna risk going through that again.

I mean, the Xbone controller seems a lot better, right? Now that it that Nintendo like D-pad it should be alright?
The Xbox1 controllers work fine in fighting games, much better than the 360 controller. The DPad is great execution wise. The issue is that it's pretty hard and it can cause you to get a sore on your thumb until you have a callous. Before buying a fightstick for KI I used the controller and had no problems once I developed said callous. @Ninj uses the joystick on the controller and does not seem to have any input issues, but he might just be a freak.

Anyways, the online has been stellar for the games I've played on XBone. I'm really optimistic that it'll be good for MKX as the online has always sucked in NRS games regardless of the system being played on.

gamesun

Noob
I prefer the PS4 controller easily over the X1 but I wouldn't know about the online stuff. I've played some KillerInstinct and it was good online as well as some TitanFall which was very smooth, for PS4 I haven't really played anything online(on a consistent basis to know).

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
How much did you pay to get a ps3 controller dual modded been thinking about getting another controller just to do that since the cronus max is supposedly banned for next Gen consoles
lol like 140 including the controller. Had to bite the bullet.

The_Furax

I accept nothing. Nothing is inevitable.
I personally believe that PS3/PS4 controllers are pretty much better for fighting games. I'd never change them imo, especially if u r use to them.

Xbone d-pad still isn't good as the dual-shock, but people are being incredibly misleading about its quality. It's actually very good. No missed inputs by accidentally reading diagonals or anything. Complex motions like the dragon-punch are intuitive and easy. There is no excuse for missed inputs just because it's an Xbone d-pad. Not as good as the dualshock d-pad, but it's perfectly fine.