What's new

Would you take a bigger roster and more stages over a story mode?

Story Mode or Bigger Roster and more Stages?

• My body NEEDS a story mode!

Votes: 76 63.9%
  • More characters and more stages would be more better!

Votes: 43 36.1%

• Total voters

Might-Taro 19

by each death, we learn more..
The bigger the story the better why? because this gives each character a chance to hop in and share their potential. After you complete it, you will notice that oh at first I didn't like this character but now i do because he or she showed their worth and presence. This is why it's so powerful whether it's real life or game that someone at least makes an attempt or show up. You see how for example erron black, people wanted to see more story from him. If he just appeared in the roster as a brand new character? rest assured people wouldn't like him as much.
Hope that makes sense.

Prima Italia

Italia per sempre
No because there is DLC for adding more characters and secondly more characters is not always better since I could not care about most of the characters anyway.

FoughtDragon01

Ask me about my Mileena agenda.
NRS became a trend setter with their story mode, and I honestly can't think of another fighting game that matches their quality. It takes advantage of the characters' personalities and is a great way to provide context to new ones. To drop such a substantial feature to try and seem more like other fighters would be such a disappointment, imo.

Besides, would that help these games outlast the typical two year cycle? Probably not, and they'd end up alienating the causal fan base at the same time, hurting sales. Yeah, the more competitive- minded players would probs be happy, but it'd be an overall lose-lose for NRS

Jhonnykiller45

Shirai Ryu
I love the MK lore, but I think their current story mode with the chapter system is the wrong way to go about it. If they removed story mode to add more (fully-fledged and balanced) characters/stages, but also gave us some sort of Konquest mode like Deception or Armageddon, then I'd be all for that.
I mean the question proposed here is story mode or no story mode. You can't ask for more characters and a Konquest (aka story) mode on top of that as well.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
@ B shazzy you must be out of the loop guy, MK X and I2 is easily as good if not better than SF5's gameplay lol not to mention better sales, more awards, better story, cooler and more powerful characters that are actually properly proportionate lol. Plus MK X sold over 11 million copies, how many did SF V Incomplete Edition sell again? lmao:D

The problem is the casual fan base that buys these games for single player content is every bit as important if not more than us. Need those sales for these games to continue being made my dudes.
So true, people overlook this. It's the casual and general fanbase that keeps it going, some say it's the tourney players that keep it alive but fail to realize if the game don't sell well, isn't received well then there is no game for the "pro" players to play at all. It's like a team you put on the field, nobody will spend money to see them for a season if they suck. If you put a good, fun team to watch then you get fans in the seats to spend the money. If not, the team will just slowly die out like many games over the years.

Last edited:

Pizza

Thrill Kill
When we're talking about how Story Mode enhances the characters I assume we're talking about the main characters and some of the villains.
I mean, look at Reptile and Baraka...

ArcticTabasco

I wish I knew Kung Fu.
I definitely want a story. But I wouldn't want too many characters anyway, whether it affected the story or not. I'd rather have a solid 15 than a huge roster that's all over the place.

Xelz

Go over there!
I'd keep the story. First of all, NRS does such a good job with them that I actually enjoy their story mode despite skipping it in most other fighting games.

Second of all, it's what gets my wife into each new MK/Injustice game, which means she'll also play 1v1 against me =)

Third, it helps sell a gazillion copies and keeps WB investing in the series.

Fourth, I don't think it's a tradeoff. It's not like the people working on cinematics could have been developing characters or stages.

i would prefer if they change the story formula. cutscene, fight, cutscene... doesn't feel engaging. maybe nrs could make a shaolin monks style singleplayer.

I didnt like the story to MK9 and MKX so I choose Bigger roster with a story thats told via comics.

That way you can take your time with it instead of condensing it to a 2 hour format and have characters that arent in the roster play a part too.

Reactions: Zev

pure.Wasted

'ello baby, did you miss me?
The problem is the casual fan base that buys these games for single player content is every bit as important if not more than us. Need those sales for these games to continue being made my dudes.
Yeah so this is basically /thread right here. It doesn't matter what the result of this poll is, the story mode is the #1 thing that sets MK apart from every other fighting game franchise. NRS would sooner release a 10 character roster with a story mode, than a 100 character roster without.

And it's not just for casuals either. MK's story modes are the reason I'm still a fan after 25 years.

Edmund

Kitana & Skarlet
To me it completely depends on the quality of both and if there are arcade endings. If there are still those voice lines where characters talk about the story, and arcade endings with some being canon, then maybe I'd be okay with it. It would totally depend on the characters added as well.

For example, if those 35 characters were of the same depth, they would have to all be returning characters for me. You can't introduce a new character without explaining them, or having them in some sort of story.

Dreamcatcher

EFL Founder
I'll take more characters and stages anyday. It's a fighting game... and while story mode, extras, and stuff are fun, they don't define a fighting game IMO. The classic MKs had a story mode, it was called read the pages before you pump in a couple quarters. Lol

Mind Flex

Mind Gamer. BOOSH
I beat story mode in a night/few hours. I spend WAY more hours than that with each character in the lab. More characters means more gameplay hours imo.

Having said that, I like that NRS story modes destroy all other fighting game story modes. haha