What's new

Would you take a bigger roster and more stages over a story mode?

Story Mode or Bigger Roster and more Stages?

• My body NEEDS a story mode!

Votes: 76 63.9%
  • More characters and more stages would be more better!

Votes: 43 36.1%

• Total voters

JDM

Noob
I haven't touched story since MK9 so yeah idc about story gimmie reptile and rain pls ty

D

Deleted member 35141

Do I wish there was more characters sure, but all the charaters have looked amazing.
Look at other fighting games I see less characters and a bunch of copy and paste characters and no single player content.
21 stages is already a ton do we really need more, also with the story every stage has its own personality and purpose.

I love the MK lore, but I think their current story mode with the chapter system is the wrong way to go about it. If they removed story mode to add more (fully-fledged and balanced) characters/stages, but also gave us some sort of Konquest mode like Deception or Armageddon, then I'd be all for that.
I think it should be story mode without the 4 fighter per character chapter and I think they should add a lot more unique gameplay additions for story mode only to help push the narrative.

IceNine

Tired, But Strong
Personally, I'm absolutely okay with a classical structure of "arcade" mode with individual character endings and simply waiting for the next game to see what sticks. BUT...

My personal preference doesn't matter, story mode is a huge part of what is making these games successful and allows NRS to continue to escalate the rest of the game with each successive entry. If it were canned, I would feel a lot less secure about the series's future and NRS's freedom to push the envelope in gameplay/presentation. So as far as I'm concerned, it's necessary for them to put in this single player content that the commercial playerbase loves.

FTR though, I think that their revamping of characters/mechanics and creating expansive variations of their movesets is a bigger limiter on the roster than the existence of story mode.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
I definitely wouldn't say Ermac had nothing, MK 9 he seemed to have a larger role where as MK X he was more or less just one of Kotal Kahn's enforcers still way more than Ferra/Torr I mean let's be honest, every character has more to work with than F/T did lol. Was essentially a dumb brute that grunts with a dwarf on his back that enjoyed baby talk. lol

My only issue with Ermac is they make him a jobber half the time, he should be more like flying around badass and owning Jax Ermac as oppose to getting "beat" by Stryker and Jacqui Ermac. lol

I hope we see him again in this game and Fujin as well but who knows.

I feel conflicted by this choice.

On the one hand the story mode has always been shit. It's like a bad B movie. I wouldn't lose any sleep if they cut it from the game.

On the other hand the more stages, the better. It gets boring staring at the same background after a while. However i really don't need more characters because i wont play most of the cast anyway. It really doesn't matter to me if there are 25 characters, 35 or 45 characters. I always end up playing a handful of characters. Having said that, more characters means less mirrors and i really hate those.

So i was leaning towards option 2 but in the end i went for option 1. Not because my body needs it lol but because story mode is a staple of the series by now. It would upset a lot of people if a MK game shipped without it.

Zhidoreptiloid

Watcher from the sky
35 characters? Let them balance out at least 20-25 fighters. No. Big roster is cancer for balance, especially with so stupid short period of production with 2 years

Ptehu

Prince of Edenia
tbh I can stick with 25 characters BUT switching some of them for others + story as it is and we are cool.

Queen Sindel

Divine Enlightenment
call me casual player, but i am waiting story mode. Really excited to see and play that. And i know in advance, story wont surprise me, its going to be like average interactive blockbuster movie without fantasy mystery of Mortal Kombat. Still waitning story mode in MK11. I enjoyed story mode in Injustcie 2, and want same in MK.

They should just do a damn konquest mode like Deception or Armageddon. You still get all the cut scenes like story but you can explore the realms also to kollect items and find hidden chest. Its a win win

JINNOCIDE

I only show up when a new game's around
If it wasn't for the reward cinematics (awful now but beatiful to me at the time) of MK4's arcade endings, the first MK I ever played, I'd probably get bored of the game real quick.

So I really appreciate that they keep adding lore, even with plotholes here and there, to their games.

But I could leave the Story Mode if there was a well constructed Konquest, even though I think if there was a good Konquest mode it'd be Story Mode with just a different name.

colby4898

Special Forces Sonya Up-player
I don’t care about story in a fighting game.
I play it once to unlock the character. If there is no character to unlock I probs won’t play it in MK11. At least not for a long time.

Most people only play it once too, and it will take you a few days to complete it before playing online for the rest of the games life. Why would you not want more characters to choose from.

DragonofDadashov24

Let’s see whose fire burns hotter
25 characters is a lot man
You’re not even gonna play all of them
Every one of the players has at least on character they didn’t even touch or just don’t want to play.
To me theay are D’Vorah, Ferra/Torr, Tremor, Reptile, Baraka etc.
A lot of characters

MrWarMachine

Jacqui/D'Vorah 2020
At this point, no, keep story mode. NRS (alongside Tekken) changed the game when it came to story mode in FG's and it wouldn't make a whole lot of sense for them to go back now.

I don't even think SF or DBFZ had over 30 characters at launch. Tekken might be the only one, and even then I'm not sure.