What's new

Would armor on EX Acid Hand be too much?

PND OmegaK

Drunk and Orderly
On the topic of doing acid hand accidently instead of dash, does anyone sometimes get invisibility when they try to slide? It blows my mind just thinking about how I even manage to do it, but every one in a thousand times it happens.

RapZiLLa54

Monster Island Tournaments
Lets see heres a list of all the character with a legit armored or invincible wakeup move. By legit I mean they actually lead to damage.

Rain
Kenshi
Jax
Nightwolf
Johnny Cage
Cyrax
Sektor
Sub Zero (rumored in upcoming patch)
Noob
Kung Lao
Kabal
Kitana
Stryker
Quan Chi (rumored in upcoming patch)
Jade
Lui Kang
Raiden

hmmm hes got to be one of the only characters in the game that doesn't have one

JHCRANE 14

GO VOLS!!!
No, Reptile does not have any armor or invincible wake-up attacks. However, answer me this. How many characters have a high, overhead, and a low special. Not many characters do but Reptile does. I agree that Reptile should have at least one invincible wake-up attack and one EX move with armor, but that might break him. Of all the characters you posted RapZilla54 (correct me if I am wrong) Kabal is the only one who has a high, overhead, and low specials like Reptile. Now, Kabal is a beast so maybe that needs to be looked at, but for now I believe Reptile is fine.

RapZiLLa54

No, Reptile does not have any armor or invincible wake-up attacks. However, answer me this. How many characters have a high, overhead, and a low special. Not many characters do but Reptile does. I agree that Reptile should have at least one invinible wake-up attack and one EX move with armor, but that might break him. Of all the characters you posted RapZilla54 (correct me if I am wrong) Kabal is the only one who has a high, overhead, and low specials like Reptile. Now, Kabal is a beast so maybe that needs to be looked at, but for now I believe Reptile is fine.
I'm not really sure why that matters though?? Reptiles mix up game is pretty weak and on a slide you eat a full combo. Reptile doesn't have a low starter that combos into anything. If we are talking "tier" list as to why "he doesn't need it" plenty of the S tier characters were on that list.

I'd also like to point of that ex acid hand is very strict to combo with. d4 into acid hand as an anti air is very hard to combo from as is a naked ex acid hand. Only way to combo off it 100% is by using more meter for an ex fastball.

JHCRANE 14

GO VOLS!!!
Understand. I was just pointing that out. Reptile has lots of options because of his specials, thats all. For the most part I agree with you.

SZSR

Noob
Ex and regular hit overhead. EX launches while regular sends across screen.. Not sure why or how that factors into this discussion????

I can't even imagine the hatred that would spew from everyone if they gave EX dash armor lmao
Basically, you'll have really safe pressure added to what Reptile has already (more than average mixups, good zoning game, etc.) If you have meter, you'll be able to theoretically pull off a similar mix up to the 2, 4, low hat (or over head hat) mixup that Kung Lao can do just replacing 2, 4, with a fast string of Reptile's (1, 2, b1 I think) and low hat being your slide and the over hat being the EX hand. Giving you that new tool, besides making your wakeup better. I'm not saying Reptile doesn't need it for wakeup, but you have to consider the options that it opens for yourself and closes for other characters to punish you. You may have bad matchups with Raiden, Kitana, Kung Lao and Kabal but you have practically even matchups with guys like Smoke, Sub-Zero and Ermac, which could possibly upset the balance already set. Not to mention creating even more dominant matchups on the low tier.

I'm not hating, but honestly, the top, high and high-mid guys shouldn't get buffs as of yet, so I believe it would be too much right now, as of this incoming patch (the one that the patch notes are based on), you'll be able to compete fine without good wakeup.

JHCRANE 14

GO VOLS!!!
Basically, you'll have really safe pressure added to what Reptile has already (more than average mixups, good zoning game, etc.) If you have meter, you'll be able to theoretically pull off a similar mix up to the 2, 4, low hat (or over head hat) mixup that Kung Lao can do just replacing 2, 4, with a fast string of Reptile's (1, 2, b1 I think) and low hat being your slide and the over hat being the EX hand. Giving you that new tool, besides making your wakeup better. I'm not saying Reptile doesn't need it for wakeup, but you have to consider the options that it opens for yourself and closes for other characters to punish you. You may have bad matchups with Raiden, Kitana, Kung Lao and Kabal but you have practically even matchups with guys like Smoke, Sub-Zero and Ermac, which could possibly upset the balance already set. Not to mention creating even more dominant matchups on the low tier.

I'm not hating, but honestly, the top, high and high-mid guys shouldn't get buffs as of yet, so I believe it would be too much right now, as of this incoming patch (the one that the patch notes are based on), you'll be able to compete fine without good wakeup.
I did not think of that, very nice.

RapZiLLa54

12b1 cannot be cancelled into anything. So it wouldn't give him a new tool because the only time he has advantage off a b1 is in the corner which you would just be wasting meter since you could follow up with any block string.

Lets see heres a list of all the character with a legit armored or invincible wakeup move. By legit I mean they actually lead to damage.

Rain
Kenshi
Jax
Nightwolf
Johnny Cage
Cyrax
Sektor
Noob
Kung Lao
Kabal
Kitana
Stryker
Jade
Lui Kang
Raiden

sektor doesnt have any armor on any move except his xray (which is never used) very little invincibility on his wake up flame and TU (ex also) i constantly find myself being hit out of those on wake up.

all wake ups have invinciblity frames, its just that some moves are more frames then others so they can get hit out of them easier.

kenshi and rain both have armored wake ups that launch but those ex moves are crucial to their gameplay.. unlike reptile who doesnt need a wake up invisible/armored launcher. Reptile has a good amount of invinibility on his exslide on wakeup though and can slide through ice clones/projectiles during the right distance (about 1/3 screen or closer)

RapZiLLa54

sektor doesnt have any armor on any move except his xray (which is never used) very little invincibility on his wake up flame and TU (ex also) i constantly find myself being hit out of those on wake up.
TU has armor when he comes back up and is safe on block except vs Rep who can punish with a dash.

SZSR

Noob
12b1 cannot be cancelled into anything. So it wouldn't give him a new tool because the only time he has advantage off a b1 is in the corner which you would just be wasting meter since you could follow up with any block string.
How about, just 1, 2? I just said a relatively fast string, it doesn't solely have to be the one I mentioned. In the corner, Reptile has full game, i'm talking abuot how it would change Reptile's abilities overall. The EX Hand itself gives plenty of space on block already, so why wouldn't you try it midscreen, then try a dash grab, or other options. Additionally, if it did have armor, you could reasonably kill zoning games (more specifically Sindel's) by elbow dash whiffs and then EX Acid Hand without any thought of a retaliation with their normals.

Heck you could probably kill ice clones with Sub-Zeros hiding inside of them

leek

Noob
Oh woops. Didn't see invincible part.

Yeah ex-nut punch is amazing.

:D uhm back to topic, I guess lol. Reptile doesn't really need armor.. it's just sort of a trend with all these characters right now.

Personally, I think that some of these characters with armor will be removed in time and given something else. Armor is a bit much for any character, and completely changes matchups(see Cage v. Sub-Zero prepatch; lopsided as hell)

I would think this would make a lot of his matchups way easier in general.. and his good matchups even better.. again, see cage vs. reptile..

I wouldn't hate this to happen? But I feel like reptile just plain and simple, doesn't need the armor. He is a VERY solid character and is, in my opinion, one of the more balanced characters in the game.

twostep

Beefy Five Layer (;

Rain
Kenshi
Jax
Nightwolf
Johnny Cage
Cyrax
Sektor
Noob
Kung Lao
Kabal
Kitana
Stryker
Jade
Lui Kang
Raiden

dudee what armor does cyrax have ? his wakeup game is worse than reptiles -__-

Metalic

Noob
Only slightly related to this topic, but armor really hampered this game imo. I can see people like Cage getting it, spending a meter for an unsafe get in move, that's fine. However, people like Raiden? WHY does he need armor on EX Superman? Anyway, nah, Reptile's good without an armored move. Maybe give one of the Forceballs the projectile armor that hand currently has, but anything more would borderline break him if not outright.

TU has armor when he comes back up and is safe on block except vs Rep who can punish with a dash.
lol well were not talking about safe on block moves..and sektor def doesnt have armor on extu when he comes up from the ground. if we are talking safe specials then exacidhand is safe on block as well. but that wasnt the topic at hand :/

and i didnt know reptiles dash could punish it. thats retarded. :focus:

sLeeK

Noob
OHH YA!!! OHH YA!! haha i lost a round to u and THTB because of that...OHH YA! lol

By the way reptile players...be prepared for a new OKI for reptile :) and it does WONDERS against Subzero and well as new maneuvering system for reptile....i did it in the SJ5 in some casuals but people didnt notice , so i was REALLY happy that people had no idea what i was even doin :)

REPTILE LUV! lol
I love you, so happy I joined the green team <3

Short answer: Yes.
Long answer: Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss :/