What's new

Worst Variation of MKX?

Which is irredeemably bad?

• Total voters

TackyHaddock

Salty Mashers Krew
It's not the worst variation by any means, but Ancestral makes me cry.

Luckily, Kung Jin is one of those characters who doesn't need all of his variations to make him competitively viable.
Ancestral is the best KJ variation against GM sub tho imo

Groove Heaven

Jobber-baron
Is this question "what character in which variation is the worst?" or "which variation adds the most useless and superficial tools to the character?" I hope it's the latter because the former is kind of a boring topic.

Warrior Pred is the first one that comes to mind for me, I have no fucking clue what that variation is supposed to do.

I would also add Brawler. She's still a high tier char in Brawler imo, but she ultimately gets a little extra damage and a weak tick-throw game. Not a Cassie main but I doubt it excels in any MUs that Hollywood or Spec Ops doesn't.

DavS13

Noob
I feel like Sun God Kotal is the worst variation in the game. I main him and I lose, so the fault must lie with SG. Let's see.. For buffs:

Make f2 + on block, also reduce startup to 6f.

Start with all three charges of chokeahoe.

Two hits of armor on EX Chokeahoe. Also 5% more damages.

Something something safe armored launcher.

Profit.
Are you joking or serious? Just curious, I can't tell, but I really hope you're joking.

TackyHaddock

Salty Mashers Krew
Really? Doesn't his chakram in Shaolin do well against the ice clones too?
I think ancestral projectiles are better overall against GM. One reason for this is when sub throws his regular ice ball (or even ex I believe), you can do db2s in the air and the iceball will go under you - you can't trade like that with chakrams. I also have just as much success if not more against the clones with low arrows compared to chakrams, not sure if the recovery on low arrows is better but that may be why.

Don't get me wrong here tho - in general I think shaolin is superior in every matchup other than GM sub.

I don't think it's fair to call any of Ferra/Torr's variations their weakest. They all have their uses but vicious would be my vote.

The worst variation in the game in my opinion is high tech. I've tried so hard to make it work...

Immortal Kombat

almost moderate success
I don't think lasher is bad at all. As a matter of fact that's my primary variation now. Anyone who actually uses it know the benefits. It's a little safe than SRYU, has great corner damage, and the best armor out of all his variation, plus the armor is a launcher. All 3 of Takedas variations serve a purpose. Complete character imo

Akromaniac27

Ready to lose your head?
Tbh, I think all of Mileena's should be up there for lacking lol, as in, thrown in last minute not giving a damn. Scorpion summoning demons from above, below, behind; Kitana getting a parry and a float special; Cage getting a legit duplicate shadow copy of himself; Sonya pulling out a damn drone; Jax pulling out a grenade launcher; AND with allllll of this, the best they managed to do for her was a low sai(with damn near NO advantage ON HIT and unsafe AF on block), "fake" tick throws, and a vanish move that's really only useful if you have the meter......laziness at its finest.

*rant over*

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
Is Spectral really that bad?

And some of these characters getting votes could go out there variationless and beat half the cast.

KingKhrystopher

Official Merlin of TYM
Shh, shh... Just let Lasher get buffed again...

Right after Jason as a whole character.

Srsly: I'm sure there are plenty of variations that aren't represented well enough, so people just skim past them and don't realize the potential.
Lasher is decent, but it's well known it's nowhere near Ronin and Shirai Ryu. The air footsies helped a lot.

MrProfDrPepper

NRS, Guilty Gear, and KI, the holy trinity
Lasher is decent, but it's well known it's nowhere near Ronin and Shirai Ryu. The air footsies helped a lot.
nowhere near? you sir clearly dont know enough about lasher ;) it is just as good as the other variations, not quite as good but still damn good, highly undervalued and underlooked.

KingKhrystopher

Official Merlin of TYM
nowhere near? you sir clearly dont know enough about lasher ;) it is just as good as the other variations, not quite as good but still damn good, highly undervalued and underlooked.
I play Lasher, doubter!!!!!!

In all seriousness, Lasher is great. It really is, doesn't need buffs or anything. But it's not as good as the other too.

MrProfDrPepper

NRS, Guilty Gear, and KI, the holy trinity
I play Lasher, doubter!!!!!!

In all seriousness, Lasher is great. It really is, doesn't need buffs or anything. But it's not as good as the other too.
to be honest i personally believe that it is just as good just a little worse, a little smidge, and it definitely has its place in match ups, but you know nether realm if you wanna give me some free buffs im perfectly cool with that ;) but yeah Lasher still has a lot of untapped potential IMO and im currently working on finding some of said untapped potential

KingKhrystopher

Official Merlin of TYM
to be honest i personally believe that it is just as good just a little worse, a little smidge, and it definitely has its place in match ups, but you know nether realm if you wanna give me some free buffs im perfectly cool with that ;) but yeah Lasher still has a lot of untapped potential IMO and im currently working on finding some of said untapped potential
I'll be right alongside ya, bro. :)

Is this question "what character in which variation is the worst?" or "which variation adds the most useless and superficial tools to the character?" I hope it's the latter because the former is kind of a boring topic.
I'd really like this clarified as well tbh - OP is rather ambiguous.

With the latter interpretation, I'd say a good contender for that particular 'honour' would be High Tech Jacqui, along with both Relentless AND Unstoppable Jason.