What's new

Worst/Funniest NRS balance decisions?

DDutchguy

Stand 4'ing airplanes out of the sky
To join in on this thread's tradition of listing changes that are far from a 'worst/funniest balance decision':

Raiden's B2 option select being removed. Geez what were they thinking, now I'll actually have to play neutral instead of doing safe overheads and pseudo-safe lows all game. This is a clear example that no thought goes into NRS balancing.

/s

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
The best decision they made was to try to make a fighter on their own premises rather than following what has already been prescribed despite the loud complaining from the indoctrinated masses.

If you need clarity, you don't have to follow what SF has done to make a great fighter. You can make it what you want. Perfect balance doesn't exist because it ideally differs from person to person. Zoning, rush-down, offense, defense ... as long as there is basic character balance then balancing that stuff only matters to the indoctrinated. Once the roster is reasonably balanced, the meta can be whatever the creators want - and the game will succeed as long as it is deep and fun. Those that want a return to the games of their youth are asking for mediocrity. The developers are free to imbue their own creative vision and just make great games. Its up to them to make them great and they have to do that on their own.

JDM

Noob
Why can't people realize they nerfed Erron's overhead comparatively to others because he has more tools to open people up and pressure with?

He has overhead and low with many different enders (SOS mindgames, SG which is + on block), command throws and tick throws, having a slower overhead doesn't hurt that him badly. And Smokes overhead is like 22 frames and people get hit by that all the time, you guys really upplay that nerf. He's just less braindead now. (Outlaw and Marksman are dead but that's not because of the overhead nerf).

Ermac's overhead is good of course but he can't make it +on block, can't command grab you, he has to commit to his mixup way more than EB has to. That's why his overhead is faster.

Wigy

There it is...
Why can't people realize they nerfed Erron's overhead comparatively to others because he has more tools to open people up and pressure with?

He has overhead and low with many different enders (SOS mindgames, SG which is + on block), command throws and tick throws, having a slower overhead doesn't hurt that him badly. And Smokes overhead is like 22 frames and people get hit by that all the time, you guys really upplay that nerf. He's just less braindead now. (Outlaw and Marksman are dead but that's not because of the overhead nerf).

Ermac's overhead is good of course but he can't make it +on block, can't command grab you, he has to commit to his mixup way more than EB has to. That's why his overhead is faster.
Cause mystic just cant open anyone up...

Or sub... Everyone just blocks all his mixups..

Or reptile with:
First hit low, that breaks armour and low profiles
Other first hit low.. Cause why not
First hit plus on block launching overhead
Second hit low
Second hit overhead on his fast mid stagger string
Slide
Plus on block invisibility.

Poor poor reptile.

Lets not forget the fact errons CG can be OS armoured

He has no mids so plus frames from ex bottle mean just about nothing.

Oh and for smoke.. He has a vortex a scary as balls staggers which you're forced into 24/7. That shit aint getting used in the neutral

Last edited:

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Sub, Ermac, and Reptile were all easily better than EB before the patch, I think EB especially non gunslinger really needed the mix. EB's 50/50s really weren't unfair before the patch imo.

In my eyes, it depends on the situation the re-stand puts you in. Goro can re-stand his foes using Chest Lunge but no one complains about it because the risk is far greater than the reward. Like-wise, Cybernetic Kano can end his combos with a re-stand but it provides minor advantage so no one cries wolf. I think banishing the re-stand is as foolish as banishing the OTG; keep the yolk discard the shell.
I agree and disagree with you. The restands you mention give the attacker minimal advantage at say midscreen or where the opponent has space at his back if it connects (Goro's is never guaranteed and Kano's only lets him take full advantage of the +frames in the corner. And in cyber he has no 50/50s) and are ok. OTOH, the other kinds of meterless restands that put you in a, "You guess wrong, you die" scenario are another story. Those are what I have a beef with and casting those away is far from, "foolish". They need to cost something substantial to utilize so that playeres are not getting mixed for free. Or they could go the MK9 Scorpion route by putting the attacker at as much risk as the defender if the defender guesses right on the mix. I'm good with either or.

JDM

Noob
Cause mystic just cant open anyone up...

Or sub... Everyone just blocks all his mixups..

Or reptile with:
First hit low, that breaks armour and low profiles
Other first hit low.. Cause why not
First hit plus on block launching overhead
Second hit low
Second hit overhead on his fast mid stagger string
Slide
Plus on block invisibility.

Poor poor reptile.

Lets not forget the fact errons CG can be OS armoured

He has no mids so plus frames from ex bottle mean just about nothing.

Oh and for smoke.. He has a vortex a scary as balls staggers which you're forced into 24/7. That shit aint getting used in the neutral
I'm simply defending the change my dude. I'm not saying Erron is better than any of the other characters I mentioned, just that it makes sense because he doesn't have to rely on his mixup game as much as ermac or reptile or smoke up close.

Also I brought up Smoke's overhead cause all I hear is Erron's overhead is useless, but I see people get hit by Smoke's all day. That doesn't even make any sense lol. Erron's main issue is no mid, but they can't make st.2 a mid and they can't leave his overhead 16f because it was an all encompassing footsie and mixup tool like Quan's B2 and they nerfed all of those (D'vorah's F2, Quan's B2, Erron's F1 etc.)

You guys aren't looking at what they tried to accomplish with the nerfs. They made sense.

JDM

Noob
Sub, Ermac, and Reptile were all easily better than EB before the patch, I think EB especially non gunslinger really needed the mix. EB's 50/50s really weren't unfair before the patch imo.
yeah they probably were. But I think the stamina nerfs helped gunlinger more than people want to admit. He's pretty solid now. Even without his dumb 50/50 game.

and like I said they clearly wanted to nerf the footsie AND mixup buttons people had. Ermac's best footsie tool is not his overhead, Erron's pretty much was because that was the only mid you really had to use. Now you gotta use F3 more and be more intelligent with the way you play.

St.2 was always a better pure footsie button but there's at least a risk in using it and it's not an overhead.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
yeah they probably were. But I think the stamina nerfs helped gunlinger more than people want to admit. He's pretty solid now. Even without his dumb 50/50 game.

and like I said they clearly wanted to nerf the footsie AND mixup buttons people had. Ermac's best footsie tool is not his overhead, Erron's pretty much was because that was the only mid you really had to use. Now you gotta use F3 more and be more intelligent with the way you play.

St.2 was always a better pure footsie button but there's at least a risk in using it and it's not an overhead.
This is all true but even so I never really like seeing a character that isn't top tier or even in the upper half or maybe even 2/3s of the game get nerfed.

JDM

Noob
This is all true but even so I never really like seeing a character that isn't top tier or even in the upper half or maybe even 2/3s of the game get nerfed.
If you're nerfing a certain aspect of the game it's fine though. Like them removing Balanced Kenshi's armored launcher who was arguably bottom 5. If they are taking away a universal mechanic (like all encompassing mixup and footsie tools) then the lowered tier characters will have to be normalized along with the rest of the list. Nothing they did in MKX *to me* is on the level of Buffing that MMH teleport lol.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
If you're nerfing a certain aspect of the game it's fine though. Like them removing Balanced Kenshi's armored launcher who was arguably bottom 5. If they are taking away a universal mechanic (like all encompassing mixup and footsie tools) then the lowered tier characters will have to be normalized along with the rest of the list. Nothing they did in MKX *to me* is on the level of Buffing that MMH teleport lol.
Of course not, not even close. I just think they went a little too hard on Erron overall. Two of the three variations are rendered useless, and the characters with only one good variation seem kind of wasteful to me but it's whatever.

Reactions: JDM

Welcome to the world of downplay :D

CrazyFingers

The Power of Lame Compels You
Yea it's still there in the PS4 version but I have no clue about the PS3/360 version. It DEFINITELY DOESNT FEEL JUST FRAME. That's for damn sure.

Soul Caliber, Tekken, Mortal Kombat, and SF.
Update 1.13-1.14
Ferra torr (Lackey)- armor launcher removed.
Ferra/torr- NRS didn't bother enhance his run/walk speed.
Ermac's weaker overhead doesn't make no difference.
Sonya's weaker overhead doesn't make no difference.
Sub-Zero- NRS didn't bother nerf the overhead.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
Jason released as shit tier, buffed to broken, never adjusted with the "no more armor" patch.