What's new

Worst/Funniest NRS balance decisions?

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
When I saw the title of this thread, I thought to myself - "Time to read some bickering."

Gamer68

Fujin!
Nerf Ermac's 12f OH F4 to 16f, then nerf Erron's 16f F1 to 23f
This one makes me mad. I tried playing Erron the other day for the first time in a long time, and I can't believe how bad he was nerfed. I feel like this is a perfect example of how unfair they have treated him.

I honestly can't think of a good reason why I would pick Erron over a lot of the other characters in the game.

CrazyFingers

The Power of Lame Compels You
This one makes me mad. I tried playing Erron the other day for the first time in a long time, and I can't believe how bad he was nerfed. I feel like this is a perfect example of how unfair they have treated him.

I honestly can't think of a good reason why I would pick Erron over a lot of the other characters in the game.
Like literally if we just changed it to 19f like Butcher's Erron would be SO MUCH BETTER off.

True, I recently picked up Erron about a week ago. It seems like that overhead acted as a fast mid to, its so slow that after his hard knockdown slide you go for OH opponent can wake up jab. He's low profiled on everything. Nobody respects his oki game.

Not to bring this off topic, but it's also saying a lot that Sonicfox don't even pocket him no more.

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
Sub's only armor being on the yolo slide. Used to use EX bomb to get my opponent off me in the corners. Now I no longer can use the EX Bomb, and I'm seldom using the EX Slide to get out of there as my first option, and the wallrun as the second, and rarely the Ice Klone option.

I can understand the other characters' pain as well, but as a Sub Zero main it's a heartbreaking one for me. Since the post-patch everyone just duck blocks our wakeups.

This game might have been balanced in its way, but for me it's...getting us thinking less and less the options to save our asses or punish our opponents this way.

And I noticed that Kung Lao became too fast than pre-patch. They just gave him more speed.

Giving some characters 8-11 advancing mids that are staggerable. While other characters have nothing but highs and are easily low profiled unless they confirm off of pokes.

Adjusting Tanya to be normal then introuncing Vanilla Alien.

Giving some characters universal 2 Armor hit moves and not others. etc etc

Second Saint

A man with too many names.
Making it so D'vorah players don't get mindless oki that has no regard for wake ups or mind games with quick or long delays.

Oh wait, how is that a bad change?
She kinda still has that in BM off setups that cover delays. It's not as bad as the old SQ oki because you can't bait a wakeup and then jail a f1. It's just one or the other, and as I recall, you're still plus after baiting a wakeup. If they delay, it just creates a hard to blockable.

Noob
Anything they do to Erron

Erron is a prime example that hardly any thought goes into balance patches.

xInfra Deadx

Gimmick stolen by Jordan Peele
It is more like a bug rather than a balance change that never got addressed or fixed.
Sindel's b1 damage scale as a starter on PS Vita MK. b1~x-ray does 7%!
Beyond ridiculous.
Speaking of which, there were other characters that were bugged just like her...Jade, Sektor, Quan Chi, Reptile's sweep as well...because they wanted to do the wrong thing with Jax's EX Ground Pound...

They also removed Smoke's looping reset off the vita version, but not the console version.

CrazyFingers

The Power of Lame Compels You
Came here to post this, the B2 nerf was also hilarious seeing as he got his F4 as an OH. Its closer in speed to his low, which makes his 50/50s go from hard to fuzzy to impossible to fuzzy and he still gets to keep the good range on B2.
It went from a nerf to B2 to a giant buff to his setplay.

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
Came here to post this, the B2 nerf was also hilarious seeing as he got his F4 as an OH. Its closer in speed to his low, which makes his 50/50s go from hard to fuzzy to impossible to fuzzy and he still gets to keep the good range on B2.
I noticed this one, when I played some Quan Chi MUs. Thanks to this I feel a lot closer to Quan Chi this post-patch than he used to so hard to get close with pre-patch. He's a bit of an easy zoner.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Kano upball buff in MK9.
Aris beat a whole bunch of people with it in a tournament despite not playing Kano and only using that move.

Then it was nerfed like a week later lol.
Any player who was a member of the community during the early Mortal Kombat 9 days must admit that Kano's up ball is the obvious winner.

Up ball was originally designed to be just like a shoryuken (i.e., very fast on start up but highly punishable on block). NRS then decided to make the move -8 on block (or something to that extent). The complaints within the community erupted and the move was heavily normalized in less than two weeks. Up ball turned out to be worse than originally (i.e., slower on start up and even more punishable on block). As a result, Kano ended up being the worst character in the game, alongside Sheeva.

To this day I blame @EGP Wonder_Chef for his anti-up ball YouTube video. Our relationship has never been the same...