What's new

With the end of year fast approaching, has MK11 been everything you'd hoped?

Raider

Noob
Not even close. I got bored few months after the release. And was literally playing 2 characters only all the time. I haven't touched online for months now and if it wasn't for Sindel i would have probably uninstalled it by now. There are a lot positives but more negatives definitely.

Hebrew Negro

KingofBosz97 XBL
The game in itself exceeded my expectation & more! I guess I'm used to games with a little more support, but honestly I've moved on.

Jbog

Noob
Theres a big save for this game its fix the block stun issues and poke fest but i believe that is trully the way they want it. Be cool if they would figure out 95 percent of the players ARE playing casual online and would appreciate the frames being plus enough to account for online lag but instead they cater to tournaments. Which i understand but at the end of the day online ranked carries your games lifespan or people get bored quickly with unpunishable unsafe moves online. I love mk11 but if they would add a few frames for all and remove block recovery it would sure make the online experience so much better and extend the life of this game before people move on.

mastermalone

Use only logic, please
This game exceeded my expectations.....initially.

Things I love:
The character selection is good (despite complaints from character loyalists)

The normal attacks seem good, not great, but feel like the hits are meaningful and most have an intended purpose/use case. Same with the special attacks.

Movement in the game seems good and more calculated. This is not a rush to the run into a 50/50 like MKX was.

Presentation/animation are the absolute best in the series, no question.

Things I hate:

The KL grind. I hate that you lose points if you don't play for 72 hours. NRS, I have news for you... I have a life that needs my attention. My wife and kid come before all, even my job. I believe that it is wrong to take away hard earned points just because, well.... Life.

50/50 throw escapes. Who TF thought this was a good idea? Give us a proper throw escape window and that's it. Not this guessing game on top of it.

Dial Combos. Give us the ability to start and stop combo strings at any point. I don't think dial combos have a place in this game. Having to input an entire sequence to get the combo to even start is really dumb. The regular strings are fine, though.

Weird combo string input timing. I don't like the unnatural string input timing.
1, it's too strict and 2, on a jump in, you have to input it before you even hit the ground after you hit the jump in attack. It's just weird.

Useless combo strings that I have no idea why they were included. Why not improve the use of these strings by changing the properties and frame data?

Lows that hit airborne opponents. Case in point, the Terminator can stop you from jumping with his low combo starter. It hits you out of the air. That makes no sense.

All this and the weird hit boxes need attention from the devs.

I do enjoy the game but I would really enjoy it if they addressed some of the issues we have mentioned in this thread.

Last edited:

Edmund

Kitana & Skarlet
I genuinely don’t know which is why I’m asking this, how is the competitive scene in comparison to the other NRS titles? Are there still lots of players and big tourneys?

Darth-Nero

Come Thunder! Come Lightning!
All the time i feel like am forcing myself to love and enjoy this game, something that never really happened with mk9 and mkx. The game just feels incomplete, all the characters am interested in are one dimensional and get boring really really fast. can't even enjoy Raiden cuz he's the most boring of all of them. No skill mechanics being too dominant (kb, fb, ji3, throws) is a huge turn off for me so i can't even play the game for more than 2 hours.

I've also been strongly against variation system ever since mkx, pretty much most ppl didn't want them back in mk11 but here we are. We thought it would be different now that we get to customize our own variation but as it turned out that's not even legal. Everything that could've redeemed mk11 for me was thrown out of the fucking window.

I still have a waning hope that NRS will somehow improve the gameplay drastically like they did with last year of mkx, But am not really holding my breath. I'll return to play for a while after Joker release then forget about mk11 for the entirety of 2020.

I genuinely don’t know which is why I’m asking this, how is the competitive scene in comparison to the other NRS titles? Are there still lots of players and big tourneys?
There will always be big tourneys but it's rare there are new blood and even when there is, it just turns into the sonicfox show regardless. The pros seem to be voicing their concerns but some of them are still coming off half hearted. WB money will make sure there's a pro series which means money which then turns your fighting game into a job fighter

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Reptile not being in is literally the only reason I am not as active with the game. Aside from that and matchmaking filters, the game is fun.

ZATA

Noob
i hate the game, i prefeer infinites/free fall/ rage on MKvsDC over krushing blows grabs
i prefeer play against OP mk9 sonya over D2 krushing blows
i prefeer play against 50/50 to death MKX Quan over fucking Geras sand trap
I prefeer someone kick my balls over D2 krushing blow + fatal blow when i try to jail a standing 1

Nihil

Noob
I really dislike FB and KB. I really dislike the tech throw...A stupid gamble when you tech throw and against some characters you are punished by a KB...
These features for me ruin the competitive aspect of the game.

Spektor

Noob
I admit my interest is pretty much gone but I played the game constantly for 7 months and then sporadically for another month after that. I feel like I definitely got my money's worth even if I never pick it up again (which I probably will, just like MKX when new DLC comes out or some time has passed and I'm not burnt out anymore).

xKMMx

Banned
Not really. It gets really boring really fast. I keep trying to get into it by setting goals like learning every character in the cast or pushing myself to reach Elder God in KL in as few matches as possible but even at time that I've had win streaks of 20 or more I just get bored and frustrated by this game. It still feels very clunky to me and I cant stand the restrictive nature of the limited tool set of all the characters in this game. I haven't gotten to the point abandoning it all together but sometimes after not playing for a week or more I find myself having to talk myself into playing so I don't lose too much of a feel for the game incase it gets better at some point .

I haven't played in about 2 months as I have completely switched to Tekken. I think MK11 can/will be a very good game but it needs MKXL levels of a rework. Some universal changes like: everyone having USABLE U2 FB reversals, WiFi filter, complete overhaul to how D1, D2, D3, D4 work. I think throws need 3 separate nerfs. Damage reduced, no advantage at all - unless it's a character strength, and finally, adding throws back to the correct fighting game rock paper scissors triangle of Attacks > Throws.

This would all make the game more enjoyable imo but I'm not sure if it would bring me back. Characters either need as many new moves as SC6s S2 or complete overhauls. Besides very small things, my Skarlet looks exactly the same as my Day 2 Skarlet, which is a damn shame. While defending it at the start, I've actually grown to think this game has the absolute worst character design of any FG I've ever played. There really is no depth to most of the cast. Depth in MK11 comes from learning how to OS to stay safe or defend multiple options. This would be fine if I didnt have to learn the timing for 5 different ping ranges. I'm good on that.

Oh, NRS, please never use this meter system again. This is my least favorite thing about MK11 and I'm positive there's no way they will revert it. I think most problems people have with MK11 come from the game being balanced around free resources.

For me, one thing I've always liked about NetherRealm Studios is that they don't make carbon-copies of their past games, they actually really change things up and try new stuff. The trick with doing something like that though is there are things you're going to get right, and things you're not, it's a gamble, and I respect that they take such gambles.

I don't play the Injustice franchise, so I can't comment on it, but I love Mortal Kombat, and I've thoroughly enjoyed each game in the reboot trilogy. Each certainly has its flaws, but also a great many strengths.

Focusing on Mortal Kombat 11, pre-launch it seemed to me that we were going to get a game that was more timing-based than before, and more foosty/neutral oriented. NetherRealm Studios was clear that this game would be more defensive based than Mortal Kombat XL, which was all offence, and that this game would be far less combo heavy. I recall it being said that most character's would be around the low to mid 20% damage marks without using any Gauge. When they started to show the Skin and Gear system, that gave me cause for concern, but I took a wait and see approach.

To me, it seems they generally achieved what they wanted to with the above. This is not a combo game, the neutral and footsie element is very important, and timing on things tends to be very strict. Overall, I've enjoyed the game a lot and can't believe how differently it plays from its predecessors.

Story Mode is a lot of fun with a very interesting new antagonist, the roster in the game is excellent and most of the new characters are well done, the game is visually beautiful, and it really feels easy to pick up, but hard to fully master. Having excellent net code out of the box is another massive plus, and as a PC player, the quality of this port over the last one is complete night and day. Overall, I've thoroughly enjoyed and continue to enjoy the game.

My critiques though:

• Some characters seem to break the lower combo damage potential the game was supposed to be set around. I do wish that would be scaled back.
  • I find some of the timing on things can be too strict. It's silly to me how often a simple wake up roll doesn't come out.
  • The Get Up system in general, being universal, I find adds a bit of blandness to each character, less individuality.
  • The Skin and Gear system is far too convoluted. Most characters actually only have about half a dozen skins, there's just eight million palette swaps. Similar for Gear. Mortal Kombat XL had Skins done right.
  • Modifiers in Towers in the previous two games were fun, but in Mortal Kombat 11, they're a frustrating chore. They took what was great about the Living Towers and sucked the life out of it faster than Shang takes a soul.
Overall though, I love the game. According to Steam, I've put 259 hours into Mortal Kombat XL since it launched in 2015. I've already put 220 hours into Mortal Kombat 11.

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
I already quit playing, and it's for all the reasons mentioned in this thread, but most of all, because of the KB/FB system, and the way pokes work. It's a dumb game, and I think it was the final straw for me and fighters. Been playing religiously since 2011, but NRS has proved that can't make something close enough to perfect for me.

Overall, I feel like I've gotten my $60 worth. I may have cooled off on the game the past few months, I didn't buy Terminator or Sindel, that might change with the combat pass being on sale right now but you take the good with the bad.

VSC_Supreme

TYM's #1 L taker.
I think MK11 is mostly good, feels just a bit too inconsistent for me, and lacks the offensive character depth and diversity to counter balance the amount of defense options. Not a fan of the poke system, the accompanying strike-throw, or the jump in system.

I originally wanted just 2 variations if they were going to do that before the games reveal, but ending up with custom moves used to build competitive variations has me wishing they just decided to throw the whole system away.