What's new

Question Will NW footsies make him viable?

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
Sorry, but you are talking to people who have fundamentals and have put in just as many hours as the people who are placing top 8. NW works in some matchups, but trying to take him to top 8 in a decent tournament without a pretty thorough amount of counter picks is silly. A NW main has to understand and accept that you need at least another character to deal with a pretty serious amount of his matchups.

Good job trying to hold it down with NW, but don't get your hopes up about this magical NW player who has put in all these hours and is bodying people.
He will learn in time.

He was right tho, Nightwing could compete with every character in that top 8.
Ok maybe I'm delusional or maybe your both just being a little condescending.

There is no way either if you grind the way pig or saltsface grind and they too just now only had their first top 8s.

The game is so young so instead of saying "he will learn one day" perhaps re read my post and think it through.

Sajam

Nightwing In Retirement

There is no way either if you grind the way pig or saltsface grind and they too just now only had their first top 8s.

The game is so young so instead of saying "he will learn one day" perhaps re read my post and think it through.
You forget that most of the people you are suggesting haven't put time into the game have mained NW since the day the game was released, and have put an absolutely ridiculous amount of time in with the character.

I can't speak for everybody, but I know that I've put in an absolutely unhealthy amount of time into developing NW and trying to make him work at a competitive level, and it works in a lot of situations. Hell, even NWDZ has put in more hours than almost anybody, logging like 6000k games in a couple of months, and all of it was streamed. During all that time he was struggling to get games off of people that his 2 week Lobo would do well against. I understand the whole, "guys we just need to get better" attitude or mentality, but we've been doing that for almost a year already. I might only be speaking for myself but it's hilarious reading you trying to come in and inspire people to try hard with a character we've been attempting to make work since the day the game has come out. Like I said before, find me at a tournament and play my NW and tell me how much more work I need to put in. I've given everything into making this character work, but when I play MMH for the second week at WNF and I'm 2-0ing Slayer's Superman instead of struggling to get games with NW, I'm pretty sure I can't take all the blame.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight

I think you need to re-read my post and actually find something condescending...

It wasn't even meant to be a jab, Hell, I even agreed with what you said.

You are coming off extremely hostile and defensive.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
I think you need to re-read my post and actually find something condescending...

It wasn't even meant to be a jab, Hell, I even agreed with what you said.

You are coming off extremely hostile and defensive.
I'm still put off from your posts in the other thread. I apologize but what you said sounded condescending to me.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
You forget that most of the people you are suggesting haven't put time into the game have mained NW since the day the game was released, and have put an absolutely ridiculous amount of time in with the character.

I can't speak for everybody, but I know that I've put in an absolutely unhealthy amount of time into developing NW and trying to make him work at a competitive level, and it works in a lot of situations. Hell, even NWDZ has put in more hours than almost anybody, logging like 6000k games in a couple of months, and all of it was streamed. During all that time he was struggling to get games off of people that his 2 week Lobo would do well against. I understand the whole, "guys we just need to get better" attitude or mentality, but we've been doing that for almost a year already. I might only be speaking for myself but it's hilarious reading you trying to come in and inspire people to try hard with a character we've been attempting to make work since the day the game has come out. Like I said before, find me at a tournament and play my NW and tell me how much more work I need to put in. I've given everything into making this character work, but when I play MMH for the second week at WNF and I'm 2-0ing Slayer's Superman instead of struggling to get games with NW, I'm pretty sure I can't take all the blame.
I can understand you interpreting my angst for this as an insult when you have put playing him since day 1. Not my intention at all.

Would you like me to give up hope and drop NW? Should you stop developing fundamentals? Should we all pick up MMH? If so...your not the representative NW needs.

I'm not the best with him but it all starts with your mentality. If you think this way than I WILL soon be the best with him.

Sajam

Nightwing In Retirement
I can understand you interpreting my angst for this as an insult when you have put playing him since day 1. Not my intention at all.

Would you like me to give up hope and drop NW? Should you stop developing fundamentals? Should we all pick up MMH? If so...your not the representative NW needs.

I'm not the best with him but it all starts with your mentality. If you think this way than I WILL soon be the best with him.
I never stopped developing NW. I'm still playing him for plenty of MUs. I'm focused on dealing with the MUs I've been playing for almost a year that I can win with another character that I've picked up in a few weeks. Can I win those bad MUs with NW? Yeah, and I have an absolute fuck ton of experience with them. I can help any NW who needs help with those MUs, I just choose to use MMH instead.

It's not like I've abandoned the character, I still primarily play him inside and outside of tournament.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
I never stopped developing NW. I'm still playing him for plenty of MUs. I'm focused on dealing with the MUs I've been playing for almost a year that I can win with another character that I've picked up in a few weeks. Can I win those bad MUs with NW? Yeah, and I have an absolute fuck ton of experience with them. I can help any NW who needs help with those MUs, I just choose to use MMH instead.

It's not like I've abandoned the character, I still primarily play him inside and outside of tournament.
Good. Use you're counterpicks and win some tournaments. Just stop giving me shit for my optimism.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
Good. Use you're counterpicks and win some tournaments. Just stop giving me shit for my optimism.
We're not. We are giving you shit for your attitude "Master Fly".

You are on meta 1 of Nightwing. Many of us on here have discussed this character for almost a year. We have all shared tech, videos, information, match up advice and supported each other.

We all love the character and still primarily play the character, however, he has problems especially against some real common tournament characters.

When you create a thread that seems to be poking the bear (Nightwing Placement at majors etc.) and then say that the answer to his problems are "Staff Footsies" we all kind of roll our eyes, or at least I do. You have to understand that from our perspective we have been working on the character for a long time, and when you come in and say "This character needs someone with strong fundamentals" while true, insults everyone on here.

It's not like I personally do not want you to succeed, I really do. I would love to see Nightwing in a top 8 again...I just don't want to have to deal with a pretentious little shit head in the process.

Look at it this way. If I walked into the Grundy forums and said that Grundy was the best character in the game because of his armor and that all Grundy players including Tyrant are not playing him right and my 4 week old Grundy is going to go win a major...wouldn't you give a few eye rolls?

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
This reminds me of when I dropped BA for Joker and kinda blew up the players in that forum for not moving forward with their char.

Then I made about 8 tech threads with resets, crossups, fake crossups and touch of death combos.

NightwingDayZero

Truth, justice and the American way.
There isn't a single post in this thread that hasn't already been posted.

Not just when it was on topic, but all this off topic shit has been said before as well.

Anyways, carry on.

Sajam

Nightwing In Retirement
This reminds me of when I dropped BA for Joker and kinda blew up the players in that forum for not moving forward with their char.

Then I made about 8 tech threads with resets, crossups, fake crossups and touch of death combos.
Yeah, but I don't remember you making a thread that said, "Does anybody else think Joker's d2 is good?!?!?!?!"

Sajam

Nightwing In Retirement
I'm not giving you shit for your optimism, nobody is.

People are giving you shit when you come into the NW forums sharing information we found out very early in the game and claiming other NW players aren't strong enough to make the character work. If you are gonna come into a section for a character you are just picking up and talk trash while we have collected an absolute fuck ton of tech and information for you to use then people are gonna be offended.

You out footsie him. There is no way to eliminate footsies, only make them harder to play.
dude im not even going to argue with you guys anymore. There are matchups where characters just get outplayed if they decide to go toe to toe with you with footsies. Thats why they play another playstyle to avoid the spacing/ footsie game. That matchup will then be(depending on matchup) pretty much all about reads or other factors instead of spacing, for whatever reason(zoning, armor, a mmh teleport etc.). it doesnt matter if the matchup is still 15% about footsies because that is not what decides the winner of the match. Arguing with you guys is like me asking if you have water and you showing me a bottle of 2 drops of water in it.

edit: and there is no need to reply to this, because the guy who created this thread wants us to stay on topic even though he was the one who started this argument to begin with.

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
dude im not even going to argue with you guys anymore. There are matchups where characters just get outplayed if they decide to go toe to toe with you with footsies. Thats why they play another playstyle to avoid the spacing/ footsie game. That matchup will then be(depending on matchup) pretty much all about reads or other factors instead of spacing, for whatever reason(zoning, armor, a mmh teleport etc.). it doesnt matter if the matchup is still 15% about footsies because that is not what decides the winner of the match. Arguing with you guys is like me asking if you have water and you showing me a bottle of 2 drops of water in it.

edit: and there is no need to reply to this, because the guy who created this thread wants us to stay on topic even though he was the one who started this argument to begin with.
I have no idea what you guys are talking about but I just want to say that I've always respected your posts. Everything I remember you saying I've agreed with back in the MK Days. So if I had to guess, I'd say you knew you were talking about this time.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
Guys. I'm not going to go back and reread my posts to try and prove any misunderstanding on your part.

All I'm going to do restate my opinion summarized.

"Nightwing can make top 8...Maybe with counterpicking once or twice. If he never makes top 8, it is our fault. If he never makes top 8, it is because we didn't develop fundamentals to bring him there. Tech and fundamentals are not the same thing. My goal is to be the best NW."

This is all I have ever been saying.