What's new

Question Will NW footsies make him viable?

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
Staff:
-Arguably some of the best range normals in the game.
-50/50 with 1f2 and 1 ground pound from max range.
-b1 is a fantastic check and zero on block and moves him forward to close space.
-whiff punishes very well with b1 or 1

Escrima (more for frame traps):
-B2...
-j3 is a 7 frame air normal and leads to good damage with wing dings.
-wing ding and mb wing ding are great for punishing dashes.

That's pretty much it.

Staff is by far his best option for pacing the game. He owns the mid range game and can compete with anyone if he can keep them there. 1f2 and 1b1 and 1 gp are just really good. I challenge NW to master this part of his game.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
No, he cannot win with "staff footsies".

He moves too slow.

1f2 grants no combo potential ( :( ) and he can only loop 1f1 to 1~ground pound once.

His footsies revolve around ground pound and jump 1/2 tbh mixed in with some staff spins.

Staff footsies will absolutely WRECK you in the matches that Nightwing actually has to think in.

Those are the matchups that are currently problematic unfortunately...and staff cannot be utilized in them.

Sajam

Nightwing In Retirement
The problem with 1f2 is that anybody who eats it is gonna either roll away or gets the chance to wake up. It can effectively end your pressure.

Staff has good footsies in MUs where his opponent has to approach, that's about it. Playing footsies with b1 is really good, but it still doesn't make up for his lack of mobility. In a MU like NW/Grundy staff footsies are absolutely key, but lots of characters are too mobile to lock down with staff outside of the corner.

I think NW is viable but you need a secondary like MM to handle match ups such as Zod, Sinestro, Superman, and Cyborg. His staff is only useful for the corner, zoning, and catching back dashes with flying grason.

TheBoyBlunder

They love my Grayson
Nightwing is a good character and competes well.

the irony of a Green Lantern main saying this lol.

I think Nightwing is great, he just has some short comings that hinders him in certain match ups.

I agree with Sajam, NW makes it harder on himself when he pushes his opponent far away in the map. NW doesn't have the best mobility so he'll have to get back in the start over his pressure game. However, B1 is great if it pushes them back into the corner and leaves you nice poke range. 1F2 is something to throw to catch someone sleeping, normally I'd like to stay in plus frames. You could even throw 1F1 Cancel into Flip Kick MB to throw them off to what they normally expect.

ruff321

Noob
The main issue here is his mobility I swear I don't think I press the forward button harder on any other character besides NW. If you think that staff footsies alone is going to make NW viable, you gotta think about his bad MUs.

Staff is good like you said at mid range, but the struggle is actually getting NW at that mid range distance. A good way to understand how NW struggles to get in is the Cyborg MU. Most of the time you WILL get lock down from full screen and you can try getting close but not without eating projectiles and getting chip damage on the way. On top of that even if you do get in alot of characters are very strong at close range and mid range. Facing a pre-patched Superman is an absolute nightmare for Nightwing.

I'm fed up with chasing down Black Adam/Sinestro/Cyborg/Superman etc.. and the only way to get in is by doing grayson(which is very easy to punish from full screen by projectiles) or relying on his dash.

Ashenar

Just a slightly above average player.....

the irony of a Green Lantern main saying this lol.

I think Nightwing is great, he just has some short comings that hinders him in certain match ups.

I agree with Sajam, NW makes it harder on himself when he pushes his opponent far away in the map. NW doesn't have the best mobility so he'll have to get back in the start over his pressure game. However, B1 is great if it pushes them back into the corner and leaves you nice poke range. 1F2 is something to throw to catch someone sleeping, normally I'd like to stay in plus frames. You could even throw 1F1 Cancel into Flip Kick MB to throw them off to what they normally expect.
I've played some pretty good nightwing players. The fact that the match up isn't in his favor doesn't mean he cant compete with most of the cast.

TheBoyBlunder

They love my Grayson
The main issue here is his mobility I swear I don't think I press the forward button harder on any other character besides NW. If you think that staff footsies alone is going to make NW viable, you gotta think about his bad MUs.

Staff is good like you said at mid range, but the struggle is actually getting NW at that mid range distance. A good way to understand how NW struggles to get in is the Cyborg MU. Most of the time you WILL get lock down from full screen and you can try getting close but not without eating projectiles and getting chip damage on the way. On top of that even if you do get in alot of characters are very strong at close range and mid range. Facing a pre-patched Superman is an absolute nightmare for Nightwing.

I'm fed up with chasing down Black Adam/Sinestro/Cyborg/Superman etc.. and the only way to get in is by doing grayson(which is very easy to punish from full screen by projectiles) or relying on his dash.
This.....thank you for sharing what I been thinking.
I know those match ups require a lot of patience, but heres an example of the Cyborg match up to see how NW's mobility(his recovery after dashing forward) fairs our against Cyborg's full screen work

In respect, MB Nova Blaster is 12+ on block, Nova Blaster in itself is 10-11 frames but has -161 recovery frames thus IANB comes into play. NW of course is going to eat a lot of chip damage as Cyborg builds meter for more plus frames Nova Blasters to keep him safe in his zone.

Heres the Sinestro vs Nightwing match up

I think theres a video with NorcalJoe playing the MU but I couldn't find it.

That Superman match up is still tough post patch even though I haven't had trouble with most Superman players, you throw a good at me and I'm getting blown up.

TheBoyBlunder

They love my Grayson
I've played some pretty good nightwing players. The fact that the match up isn't in his favor doesn't mean he cant compete with most of the cast.
But the real question is, have you played Nightwing yourself? It's easier to spectate than manipulate the situation. I don't disagree though, Nightwing has a fighting chance with everyone and I firmly believe he's a good character and theres no one else the game I find more enjoyable than playing with. The match-ups where NW doesn't have the tools or he an issue where his best tools are negated by the opposing character's strengths leave us at these questions.

Ashenar

But the real question is, have you played Nightwing yourself? It's easier to spectate than manipulate the situation. I don't disagree though, Nightwing has a fighting chance with everyone, but theres no doubt some match-ups NW doesn't have enough tools or it becomes an issue where NW's best tools are negated by the opposing character's strengths.
I don't really need to play the character to understand how he works for the most part. Kinda why I play to his weekness as green lantern. I have no interest in the character but I recognize he's not complete trash like say the joker for the most part.

TheBoyBlunder

They love my Grayson
I don't really need to play the character to understand how he works for the most part. Kinda why I play to his weekness as green lantern. I have no interest in the character but I recognize he's not complete trash like say the joker for the most part.

Well since you don't play characters to know what their struggle is about, but you fight against them; have you fought Dark's joker? just curious.

Ashenar

Well since you don't play characters to know what their struggle is about, but you fight against them; have you fought Dark's joker? just curious.
sure when we can play that mu offline outside of the lag everyone plays with online. I'll gladly play him. set that up.

SZSR

Noob
I know those match ups require a lot of patience, but heres an example of the Cyborg match up to see how NW's mobility(his recovery after dashing forward) fairs our against Cyborg's full screen work

In respect, MB Nova Blaster is 12+ on block, Nova Blaster in itself is 10-11 frames but has -161 recovery frames thus IANB comes into play. NW of course is going to eat a lot of chip damage as Cyborg builds meter for more plus frames Nova Blasters to keep him safe in his zone.
I don't get the first match? Why were you respecting his ground missile thing? After you started responding with Staff Pound and MB staff pound and stayed on him you won.

ruff321

Noob
ground pound isn't enough to win the match. cyborg can easily counter that with IANB which is high enough to avoid the ground pound and low enough to punish NW's ground pound. So in this case the opponent simply didn't block low. I don't get why the opponent didn't do more of IANB since it's godlike against NW.

oh and I'm not saying that Superman is easier to deal with now he's still a bad matchup for NW but the fact that his F23 got nerfed and that his air laser can be punished makes the MU less difficult than before.

Last edited:

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player

Heres the Sinestro vs Nightwing match up

I think theres a video with NorcalJoe playing the MU but I couldn't find it.

That Superman match up is still tough post patch even though I haven't had trouble with most Superman players, you throw a good at me and I'm getting blown up.
Lol NW vs sinestro is bullshit