What's new

Will it bring them back?

Is MK9 the light at the end of the tunnel for MK and its players?

• Yes

Votes: 17 94.4%
  • No

Votes: 1 5.6%

• Total voters

Ilthuain

Lost in a labyrinth of egoism
Care to give us your gameplay impressions?:)
Controls are responsive, characters have weight, and attacks have impact. In general, it feels less floaty than modern games like SF4. It's not an elegant dance, it's a brawl.

With only a handful of games we could see that players have many options. It's not so much that the old-fashioned specials were good (they work in a predictable manner, for the most part), it's the normal moves that make up most of your toolbox. Sure, everyone has a sweep, but Reptile's sweep and Subby's sweep appear to have very different properties. There is a depth and thoughtfulness with the design here that really hasn't existed in MK games of the past, like each character was designed with a holistic identity rather than a random handful of disconnected moves.

That was my impression, at least.

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
Controls are responsive, characters have weight, and attacks have impact. In general, it feels less floaty than modern games like SF4. It's not an elegant dance, it's a brawl.

With only a handful of games we could see that players have many options. It's not so much that the old-fashioned specials were good (they work in a predictable manner, for the most part), it's the normal moves that make up most of your toolbox. Sure, everyone has a sweep, but Reptile's sweep and Subby's sweep appear to have very different properties. There is a depth and thoughtfulness with the design here that really hasn't existed in MK games of the past, like each character was designed with a holistic identity rather than a random handful of disconnected moves.

That was my impression, at least.
Wait, you played MK9? Damn, you need to make a new thread telling us about it in depth. :)

SZSR

Noob
Wow, the one time I stay up late to post and I see a gem of a post like that.

I wish they could just get rid of February and March for this year.

Ilthuain

Wait, you played MK9? Damn, you need to make a new thread telling us about it in depth. :)
Unfortunately, there's not much more to say. I didn't have much time with it, so anything else would be speculation+hype motivated by a brief experience. All I can really add is that the game feels 'new'. I play a ton of fighting games, and this one, for all that the gameplay looks similar to others, feels like a unique experience.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Nice write up, in other words it's like Boon and the MK team has been saying all along...that the game is going to be very new, fresh and unique since every character is apparently "unique" and different from each other, where as previous MK games(2D especially) they were all similar. Nice

BTW, is that you in your avy? lol funny picture, thanks for the explaination man.

Ilthuain

Nice write up, in other words it's like Boon and the MK team has been saying all along...that the game is going to be very new, fresh and unique since every character is apparently "unique" and different from each other, where as previous MK games(2D especially) they were all similar. Nice

BTW, is that you in your avy? lol funny picture, thanks for the explaination man.
Heh, no. The charming gent in my avatar is Zé do Caixão, aka Coffin Joe, the protagonist of "This Night I'll Possess Your Corpse" (as well as other awsome films).

oBryant

Noob
Personally Storms, I think yes and no but there's more to it..

Sure, this game is turning heads for being 2D ALONE...now I'll bet you anything if this game was 3D or 2.5 D like MKDC, it probably wouldn't be getting this much attention which goes to show you that 2D gets fighting fans hard. lol Especially oldschool fighter fans. Personally, if someone is a true blue MK fan they never would have left IMO but that's me...we all have opinions, but I do give more credit to the players who stayed with the 2D MK's at least rather then the "oldschool MK fans per-se" that didn't even give the 3D games a chance MKDC included and haven't played the older games in years...then all of a sudden come out of the woodwork for MK9 like "OMG, this MK looks so awesome, MK is great series" lol to me those people are fake fans, fairweather fans....like it because the trend now is to like MK...screw that lol.

Now, with that being said I think it's attracting the casual gamer newer to MK because it's in a way a reboot some what, it's 2D so automatically more simple then 3D which has more complex methods and tactics for being 3D with Sidestepping, more emphasizing on wake up attacks etc, highs, mids, lows being different then on a 2D plane. Then there's the tag team thing that's not new to fighters but new to MK and looking good I must admit, plus storyline is interesting(for the most part always is in MK) but going back in time to the original 3 is epic. The classic line up of MK's most popular roster of characters also helps a lot, DLC, patches, tweaks, WB getting MK and the MK team having as much time as they need as oppose to Midway's business tactics...

However, on the negative side....I do think that some " oldschool fans" are just jumping on "oh shit MK looks hot bandwagon" with all the publicity, event time, revealed info etc and attention in general this MK is getting that we haven't seen since UMK3 or MK2 really....I don't believe for a second that everyone that has some interest is a TRUE MK fan, meaning the people that pretty much like "one MK game" and hate the rest or haven't followed the series in years for just being 3D...to me that's not a real fan, a real fan follows a series he/she likes and stays with it thru the ups, downs and mediocre times...not just the "up times" know what I mean? Or those people that one second will praise Boon or the MK team then next bash them...I can understand feedback and constructive criticism but bashing the people that are giving you the game "you're supposedly a fan of" is just retarded to me...

Sorry for the little rant, but just being dead honest here...there are some people out there that purposely abandoned the series for years for merely going 3D or 2D and to me that's just ridiculous. Even though, like every fighting series(there's previous games better then more recent ones) we've seen issues with the 3D Games, they were even played at NEC and have a smaller following, and sold pretty well for a fighting game. So I guess when I see "well MK series has been horrible for years" I laugh at that since that's simply not true...perhaps lost it's flavor a bit? Maybe...lacking in financial backing with patches, updates etc? Sure when Midway had them...but horrible? Fuck no...Shaolin Monks alone is solid proof that MK spawned and is capable of spawning other good games besides just "the fighting games" hell even Mythologies wasn't that bad.

One thing I will say about the 3D games that was good and even better then other fighters was the extra modes, konquest, KAK etc...definitely cool as oppose to umm DOA volleyball or Tekken Bowling? Really? lol

And as much as some may not want to admit this, MKDC was actually GOOD for MK...the fact that it sold 2 and half million isn't BAD at all for a fighting game, that's one. Second, the fact that aside from "crossover haters perspectives" the game had a HUGE attraction from both MK and DC/comic book fans alike....I know people who loved it because of seeing Flash or Superman or GL in a big fighting game period lol...

With that being said, yes I do think that MK9 is what EVERY true MK fan should be excited for and want...whether you're a fan of latest technology, gameplay mechanics, being backed by someone as big as WB, being 2D, having all the modern day options of a decent, respectable fighter with throw escapes, dashing, wake up options, meter for more hardcore players, classic roster that everyone knows, tag team modes, newer multiplayer modes, arcade modes, story mode with 3+ hours of cinema, DLC, sticks made for it....what MORE can an MK fan ask for honestly?

And please nobody tell me "well a tournament scene would be nice" because although I know this site supports them and I do to, really...it's not everything If you're an overall MK fanatic like me then you'll want MK to do well regardless whether it's the name, tournaments or sales. You know how many GREAT games are out there that I can name that DON'T have tournaments that are very well worthy of them but just don't see the light of day of a tourney because nobody cares or nobody supports the means for it? Yet that doesn't take away from it...Besides, We've seen and had MK tournaments(just not EVO) perhaps it's just me but I honestly don't care as much about that, UMK3, MK2, even the 3D MK's now this past NEC, WB etc have had and been in many tournaments prior to it as well...so it's not like MK has NEVER EVER seen a single tournament lol...Evo happens once a year, I personally am more concerned with spreading the word for MK around my local area once MK9 hits rather then "have to get it to evo" honestly....among bringing more members to this site.

If MK9 is a success and I really believe it will be, then the tournament scene will take care of itself and come naturally for it...just a gut feeling I have. Also, this is coming from just a HUGE, HUGE, HUGE, OBSESSED OVERALL MK Fanatic....not just a storyline buff, not just a character buff nor just a tournament buff....I love anything to do with MK.

MKDC was a step in the right direction, MK9 I believe will be even better and honestly more then likely one of the best MK's ever made once it's out. Mark my words...I did not feel this way about MK D or MKA when they came out yet I was hyped for them too, but not THIS hyped.

P.S. Don't know who this Choi guy is, some random asian SF player or something, that's great for SF but is also irrelevent. This is the MK community, not the "must be approved by asian SF player community" what they think matters not, especially if they're JUST getting into MK now? Please...that would be like MK and Tekken players judging a new SF game. Exactly....makes no sense.
nominated for longest post...

MKF30

lol, I tried to cut down and have a lot of late but that's an oldschool MKF post :) I was in the moment.

You should hear me tell a story haha. My friends tell me all the time"Pete you go into so much detail, more then anyone else I've ever met" lol

Any new MK game will bring people. Whether they stay depends on the game. MKDC's engine is old now, and as we all know MKDC got boring after a while.

If MK9 can bring a new plate to the table rather than just look like a 2D version of MKDC, then people wont leave it after 6-12 months or however long it took MKDC to die. Regardless, there is too much hype for this game for it not to succeed. Whether it "brings them back" depends on the above. A game cannot become repetitive. A game cannot make you lose that intensity during a match (or afterwards). If there is no energy, no magic behind it, then eventually it will fade away.

Im all for MKDA and MKD and MKSM to get their shine on. NEC proved the games can be played at a VERY intense level. MKD has always had that magic, but it suffered from online play. Every match is close and down to the wire and doesnt suffer from a broken meter. These are the only games im interested in. MK9 is "just there" to me, alot like how UMK players feel about MKDA/MKD/MKSM etc. I'll play it though. I just dont want it to be a 2D MKDC, thats all.

MKF30

That's just the thing, some people mainly the ignorant or "casual" MK players seem to think that MK9=2D MKDC....not at all lol...if you analyze the gameplay, clearly that's not the case. Why do I say that?

MK 9 is A. far faster, smoother then MKDC is B. has a meter far different then "RAGE" and unlike MKDC, MK9 offers you 3 options(not just two) C. Actually just has MK characters, back to it's gory glory as well as storyline...and I have to say, although MKDC was hyped up mainly by the crossover and comic fans, it wasn't THIS hyped as MK9 is... besides, after reading Ilthuain's personal mini review based off his experience I think it's safe to say MK9 isn't another MKDC...

Check, I have to say dude although I agree that online can only be taken with a grain of salt most of the time, MK D clearly played FAR better online (at least on xbox) then MKA and MKDC did...

MKF30

whooaaaa wait a minute....you are a casual player. What are you trying to say?
When did I say I was a casual player? lol... don't you remember playing me way back eh? I'm not the best in UMK3 but I sure as hell don't play like a casual MK player either lol.

Maybe with other video games(I don't buy every game like some people out there) but with MK? pffftt just ask anyone who knows me personally and they'll tell you I take it to the tenth degree ;) Although one of the reasons why I play MK is because I enjoy it(like all of us) I also play it to get good and improve :) I've just never been to a tournament(I know you were thinking it) but hey, last year we saw players never attend one before yet did well right? So it is possible for anyone.

Noob
MK9 might bring a few of the casual "back in the day" MK players back to check this one out... hell, most of us who were mainly 2d Players took the time to check out MKDC even if it was only just to see how bad it was(or good...opinions differ). A lot of good points have been made in this thread regarding who this game will attract and I certainly agree that the newer school players as well as the standard MK players will obviously look to play it.

It will attract these crowds:

- Fighting game fans who still actively play, either competitively or casually to some extent. The hype is big enough to draw that crowd in.

- Street Fighter fans (and other FG fans) who have been closet MK fans...and by that I mean the people you see watching UMK3 at tournaments from the sidelines with that very interested, yet completely overwhelmed look... they're going to try MK9.

- The hardcore MK players...obviously

What this game won't do is bring back the dead...and by that I mean the people who played MK1-4 in the arcades and have since quit playing fighting games or even gaming in general. If anything...the interest explosion and hype generated by UMK3 in the last 2 years around the fighting game community and at tournaments is what would have brought those players back...and it did bring some back who had stopped playing MK altogether...or never even considered it(Rob, I'm looking at you here...LOL). MK9, if it's good, will bring in a few casuals...but it's biggest fanbase will be from the existing FG community that already exists...and we need to be prepared to nurture it.

And Pete, seriously... you don't know who John Choi is?

A few names to look up:
John Choi
Mike Watson
Alex Valle

Just 3 quick names that aren't Justin Wong or Daigo that people SHOULD know in a fighting game community...

FYI: Don't ever count out players like Choi... well known players who play and endorse your game of choice should never be passed off as irrelevant. Like it or not, most of us are nobodies in the fighting game community and if you can get one of those "somebodies" to help you out and champion your cause, that's a valuable weapon in terms of growing your fanbase, community, playerbase, and knowledgebase. The standpoint of "must be approved by the asian SF community" is a very invalid point...the fact that MK could attract ANY extra players, regardless of where they're from is a major step forward for MK... and as a forewarning, don't chase them away with pointless verbal vomit that makes them feel like outsiders...that's not what we're about.

Pistol

Noob
P.S. Don't know who this Choi guy is, some random asian SF player or something, that's great for SF but is also irrelevent. This is the MK community, not the "must be approved by asian SF player community" what they think matters not, especially if they're JUST getting into MK now? Please...that would be like MK and Tekken players judging a new SF game. Exactly....makes no sense.
Choi is an OG. He played UMK3 back in the day.

It matters for the competitve scene if someone like him plays, he hosts major tournaments, and he's a big name in one of the biggest offline fighting game scenes. (NorCal)

It's a lot easier to get MK9 at Evo, if people like him play. Isn't that what we all want?

MKF30

MK9 might bring a few of the casual "back in the day" MK players back to check this one out... hell, most of us who were mainly 2d Players took the time to check out MKDC even if it was only just to see how bad it was(or good...opinions differ). A lot of good points have been made in this thread regarding who this game will attract and I certainly agree that the newer school players as well as the standard MK players will obviously look to play it.

It will attract these crowds:

- Fighting game fans who still actively play, either competitively or casually to some extent. The hype is big enough to draw that crowd in.

- Street Fighter fans (and other FG fans) who have been closet MK fans...and by that I mean the people you see watching UMK3 at tournaments from the sidelines with that very interested, yet completely overwhelmed look... they're going to try MK9.

- The hardcore MK players...obviously

What this game won't do is bring back the dead...and by that I mean the people who played MK1-4 in the arcades and have since quit playing fighting games or even gaming in general. If anything...the interest explosion and hype generated by UMK3 in the last 2 years around the fighting game community and at tournaments is what would have brought those players back...and it did bring some back who had stopped playing MK altogether...or never even considered it(Rob, I'm looking at you here...LOL). MK9, if it's good, will bring in a few casuals...but it's biggest fanbase will be from the existing FG community that already exists...and we need to be prepared to nurture it.

And Pete, seriously... you don't know who John Choi is?

A few names to look up:
John Choi
Mike Watson
Alex Valle

Just 3 quick names that aren't Justin Wong or Daigo that people SHOULD know in a fighting game community...

FYI: Don't ever count out players like Choi... well known players who play and endorse your game of choice should never be passed off as irrelevant. Like it or not, most of us are nobodies in the fighting game community and if you can get one of those "somebodies" to help you out and champion your cause, that's a valuable weapon in terms of growing your fanbase, community, playerbase, and knowledgebase. The standpoint of "must be approved by the asian SF community" is a very invalid point...the fact that MK could attract ANY extra players, regardless of where they're from is a major step forward for MK... and as a forewarning, don't chase them away with pointless verbal vomit that makes them feel like outsiders...that's not what we're about.
lol dude don't be that shocked, I don't follow MVC...I openly admit that. This discussion About John Choi? lol I've heard all the other big names in fighters for the most part Justin Wong, Daigo, the MK names etc but I don't follow MVC man...lol

I see what you're saying with "we're nobody's and they are somebody" but at the same time, some of these guys are also inexperienced or new with MK games. That's all I'm saying. I'm not saying "oh you can't play MK or spread the word" I'd love that. What my point is Phil, is this... Bottom line, if WB asks tomorrow, to have John Choi vs. Check as MK tester....who would you choose in all seriousness? What would be best for MK?

I'm not saying other "pro gamers" should not play MK or will all "suck" nor am I saying "no outsiders allowed" I think you're misunderstanding what I said...

I'm sure they have talent but MK is different then MVC, that's all. That being said, being a big name always helps but what about the big names from the MKC? Like the tournament organizers etc? But if he can help MK more from a "get the word around, this is a good game" great, but I was talking more so concerning him knowing more then we do(big name or not) So my point is famous or not, I don't want someone that hardly knows MK judging it(that's the vibe I got from another post, if I'm off then my apologies).

So when I read that I was like " Isn't that why WE exist as the MK community, we(like Shock stated) have to spread the word and go etc, this makes it sound like we're not capable and "need help from other communities because MK Community can't do it alone"

Well, sure I admit I've never been to a tournament yet myself but that doesn't mean I don't have faith in the MK community...as a whole. I respect what you guys did for gigs like NEC, WB etc If MK9 is a very good game, we don't need these other "big names" despite who you list. That's all I'm saying....you already have 3 major MK sites promoting the games, tournaments, guides, UMK3 especially.

I know some other big names too but not with SF or MK, MASTER, Swoozie, Perfect Legend, Hitomi etc?

You know what game they play? lol DOA...might be thinking, "who cares" right? Well there you go lol now you see how I feel about MVC "judging" MK games lol. They're also huge names, Swoozie is a huge MK2 fan from the series so if he likes it and can help, I'll be sure to let you guys know as he COULD help being a pro gamer that I happen to speak with personally from time to time :) So with that being said, say a DOA or VF player (professional player) liked MK9 would you agree that hey Phil, this guy is "known" let him join the site and help promote MK9, you'd agree wouldn't you?

These other guys you listed, do you or anyone else on here know them personally in any way?

Lastly, just to clarify what I mean... I'm not chasing anyone away phil...merely expressing my opinion, I'm allowed am I not? I even said, hey if someone new wants to play, let them play...I'm not arguing that but at the same time, no need to make us(the MK community) seem like we can't do anything for ourselves....that's all man. Hell, I've told Storms on here several times I recommend people here daily to improve. Whether or not they join is out of my control...but hey, at least I try. If I didn't care, I wouldn't do it...

@Pistol, as someone who loves MK I want everyone to play MK.... That's all I'm saying.

MKF30

MKF talks a lot but says nothing imo...
Or perhaps you just don't understand or read what you want to read. Trolling isn't cool...

If you're going to post, at least contribute to the topic instead of post pointless banter....yet some people wonder why I won't want to meet some people in "person" on here....*sighs*

Momotaro

Noob
In order for a fighting game to succeed both casually and competitively, not only does it have to be good but it must also attract and appeal to people outside it's target market. This is what MvC3 and what I believe MK9 are doing so well.

I was talking to some friends last Saturday at a local casual session we had for SSF4. Ironically, we we're talking about other games. It was about MvC3 until I brought up MK9. A good portion we're actually looking forward to it. I even got my friend Dustin who's planning a new ranbat session in OKC interested in it, and he's and old-school MK fan. Believe it or not people there are a lot of FG players that are closet MK fans. They like MK but they don't want to admit it.

But they're getting hype for MK9. In Liu's words, "whassup wit dat?" They like that this game is back to 2D. They like that all the classic characters, all the gore and fatalities are coming back. etc.

This MK will do what SF4 did to SF. It will re-introduce the franchise to a new generation of gamers. The attention that this game is getting not just from FG sites but mainstream media as well really helps. Now we're hearing people like John Choi, Yipes, even Lamerboi interested in MK9? That is very, very good for the scene.

I believe that MK9 will be Top 3 in the most played competitive fighting games this year in the US. Other two obviously will be SSF4 and MvC3. I don't see any other recent or new fighting game topping or substituting any of these games.

Edit: I disagree with your post MKF, getting well respected players like Choi and Yipes (even Marn said he was interested in a Wakeup SRK episode) to play MK9 not only does good for the MK scene, but the FG scene as well.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
MKF, Choi is known for being a top SF player, not a Marvel player, although it is noted he was also a top UMK3 player back during the golden era of fighters.

And you'll be surprised at how well MvC execution translates over into other fighting games. Hell, a good portion of the US's top SSFIV players were formerly MvC players.

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
Or perhaps you just don't understand or read what you want to read. Trolling isn't cool...

If you're going to post, at least contribute to the topic instead of post pointless banter....yet some people wonder why I won't want to meet some people in "person" on here....*sighs*
Dude, go anywhere but there. Don't use every and any excuse to not come to tournaments.

Simon is cool as fuck, MKF. I do not doubt that you also would be a great guy to meet, but will we ever meet? Most likely not unless you come out to a tournament.

Like I said, Simon is cool as fuck... don't use that card to throw. ;)

Back to topic.

MKF30

AC, or Simon is it, right? I have nothing personal against you and don't want you or anyone else taking "an opinion of mine" personally in any way... but I do agree with you on one thing, MK9 will speak for itself more or less.

MKF, Choi is known for being a top SF player, not a Marvel player, although it is noted he was also a top UMK3 player back during the golden era of fighters.

And you'll be surprised at how well MvC execution translates over into other fighting games. Hell, a good portion of the US's top SSFIV players were formerly MvC players.
Thanks for the info. From Momo's original post(I thought he was just a MVC player) not to sound like the typical "SF players, oh Justin and Daigo etc" lol but I honestly never heard of him, has Choi ever played them in SF? Maybe there's videos on YT.

I'm not surprised about the SF and MVC players being much of the same(both are made by Capcom and have similar styles/direction)

@momo, lol dude I'm not saying if they play MK9 it'll hurt the scene...that's not what I'm saying. I was saying if they had no interest(let's just say) it wouldn't make a difference if MK9 winds up being great regardless.