What's new

Will it bring them back?

Is MK9 the light at the end of the tunnel for MK and its players?

• Yes

Votes: 17 94.4%
  • No

Votes: 1 5.6%

• Total voters

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
I have noticed that this game seems to have been getting a lot of attention from not just regular fans, but also fans that have been a fan since 1992 when MK1 dropped. While, from my understanding, a gist of the MK community has been MIA for years... probably around the time of MK4(?) this happened? Regardless, I have never seen the community this pumped and excited for an MK in all my years with the community; make that 6 years with the online community.

I believe that this MK will be the breaker or the winner for MK-future and MK-past... - again hitting details such as "back to 2D" is a big one and just bringing back what made MK so fucking good to begin with... the classic fighters and the classic moves.

When MK9 drops, there is obviously going to be a hellacious rush of traffic to probably all MK sites out there and hopefully more and more attendees to offline events.

This may be nothing new to any of us but I want to get a simple observation from each and every one of you... do you believe this MK will bring "back" the veteran players? Do you believe this MK is going to be the light at the end of the tunnel?

Please vote on your answer.

Thank you.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Personally Storms, I think yes and no but there's more to it..

Sure, this game is turning heads for being 2D ALONE...now I'll bet you anything if this game was 3D or 2.5 D like MKDC, it probably wouldn't be getting this much attention which goes to show you that 2D gets fighting fans hard. lol Especially oldschool fighter fans. Personally, if someone is a true blue MK fan they never would have left IMO but that's me...we all have opinions, but I do give more credit to the players who stayed with the 2D MK's at least rather then the "oldschool MK fans per-se" that didn't even give the 3D games a chance MKDC included and haven't played the older games in years...then all of a sudden come out of the woodwork for MK9 like "OMG, this MK looks so awesome, MK is great series" lol to me those people are fake fans, fairweather fans....like it because the trend now is to like MK...screw that lol.

Now, with that being said I think it's attracting the casual gamer newer to MK because it's in a way a reboot some what, it's 2D so automatically more simple then 3D which has more complex methods and tactics for being 3D with Sidestepping, more emphasizing on wake up attacks etc, highs, mids, lows being different then on a 2D plane. Then there's the tag team thing that's not new to fighters but new to MK and looking good I must admit, plus storyline is interesting(for the most part always is in MK) but going back in time to the original 3 is epic. The classic line up of MK's most popular roster of characters also helps a lot, DLC, patches, tweaks, WB getting MK and the MK team having as much time as they need as oppose to Midway's business tactics...

However, on the negative side....I do think that some " oldschool fans" are just jumping on "oh shit MK looks hot bandwagon" with all the publicity, event time, revealed info etc and attention in general this MK is getting that we haven't seen since UMK3 or MK2 really....I don't believe for a second that everyone that has some interest is a TRUE MK fan, meaning the people that pretty much like "one MK game" and hate the rest or haven't followed the series in years for just being 3D...to me that's not a real fan, a real fan follows a series he/she likes and stays with it thru the ups, downs and mediocre times...not just the "up times" know what I mean? Or those people that one second will praise Boon or the MK team then next bash them...I can understand feedback and constructive criticism but bashing the people that are giving you the game "you're supposedly a fan of" is just retarded to me...

Sorry for the little rant, but just being dead honest here...there are some people out there that purposely abandoned the series for years for merely going 3D or 2D and to me that's just ridiculous. Even though, like every fighting series(there's previous games better then more recent ones) we've seen issues with the 3D Games, they were even played at NEC and have a smaller following, and sold pretty well for a fighting game. So I guess when I see "well MK series has been horrible for years" I laugh at that since that's simply not true...perhaps lost it's flavor a bit? Maybe...lacking in financial backing with patches, updates etc? Sure when Midway had them...but horrible? Fuck no...Shaolin Monks alone is solid proof that MK spawned and is capable of spawning other good games besides just "the fighting games" hell even Mythologies wasn't that bad.

One thing I will say about the 3D games that was good and even better then other fighters was the extra modes, konquest, KAK etc...definitely cool as oppose to umm DOA volleyball or Tekken Bowling? Really? lol

And as much as some may not want to admit this, MKDC was actually GOOD for MK...the fact that it sold 2 and half million isn't BAD at all for a fighting game, that's one. Second, the fact that aside from "crossover haters perspectives" the game had a HUGE attraction from both MK and DC/comic book fans alike....I know people who loved it because of seeing Flash or Superman or GL in a big fighting game period lol...

With that being said, yes I do think that MK9 is what EVERY true MK fan should be excited for and want...whether you're a fan of latest technology, gameplay mechanics, being backed by someone as big as WB, being 2D, having all the modern day options of a decent, respectable fighter with throw escapes, dashing, wake up options, meter for more hardcore players, classic roster that everyone knows, tag team modes, newer multiplayer modes, arcade modes, story mode with 3+ hours of cinema, DLC, sticks made for it....what MORE can an MK fan ask for honestly?

And please nobody tell me "well a tournament scene would be nice" because although I know this site supports them and I do to, really...it's not everything If you're an overall MK fanatic like me then you'll want MK to do well regardless whether it's the name, tournaments or sales. You know how many GREAT games are out there that I can name that DON'T have tournaments that are very well worthy of them but just don't see the light of day of a tourney because nobody cares or nobody supports the means for it? Yet that doesn't take away from it...Besides, We've seen and had MK tournaments(just not EVO) perhaps it's just me but I honestly don't care as much about that, UMK3, MK2, even the 3D MK's now this past NEC, WB etc have had and been in many tournaments prior to it as well...so it's not like MK has NEVER EVER seen a single tournament lol...Evo happens once a year, I personally am more concerned with spreading the word for MK around my local area once MK9 hits rather then "have to get it to evo" honestly....among bringing more members to this site.

If MK9 is a success and I really believe it will be, then the tournament scene will take care of itself and come naturally for it...just a gut feeling I have. Also, this is coming from just a HUGE, HUGE, HUGE, OBSESSED OVERALL MK Fanatic....not just a storyline buff, not just a character buff nor just a tournament buff....I love anything to do with MK.

MKDC was a step in the right direction, MK9 I believe will be even better and honestly more then likely one of the best MK's ever made once it's out. Mark my words...I did not feel this way about MK D or MKA when they came out yet I was hyped for them too, but not THIS hyped.

P.S. Don't know who this Choi guy is, some random asian SF player or something, that's great for SF but is also irrelevent. This is the MK community, not the "must be approved by asian SF player community" what they think matters not, especially if they're JUST getting into MK now? Please...that would be like MK and Tekken players judging a new SF game. Exactly....makes no sense.

Momotaro

Noob
I've never been so excited for a fighting game in years. That's how much I'm dying to play this game.

I'm gonna try to get my peeps in the OKC scene interested so we can get something started. Everybody is waiting for the newer games anyway. We're all burned out on SSF4. lol.

Back on topic tho, MK9 is what fans have been wanting for more than a decade. While the 3D MKs introduced the franchise to a new generation it just wasn't true MK ya know? But MK9 is gonna be crazy. Old fans and new players alike will be dropping money for this. I think that MK9 will be one of the most played tournament fighters this year, the other two obviously will be SSF4 and MvC3.

Dark_Rob

Noob
Its still to early to tell. The main thing its dependent on is what we can do with it at tournaments, and that hinges on whether the game is good or not. The hype for this game is through the roof and that gives us something to work with. But it will all be for nothing if the game ends up being a broken pile of trash.
Sales mean nothing. Im sure MK9 will sell millions of copies just as every other MK game has. That means nothing to the competitive player and has NOTHING to do with this site's mission anyway.
Likewise what happens online means nothing either. Im sure every online room will be filled 24/7 for the first 3 months the game is out, just like every MK game since MKD. Again, meaningless.

For MK9 to be taken seriously it starts and ends with the tournament community. If we can make it take hold at tournaments then even EVO becomes a possibility. If it sucks then 6 months after release it will be just another $19.99 bargain bin fighting game, and forgotten about.

Momotaro

Noob
Its still to early to tell. The main thing its dependent on is what we can do with it at tournaments, and that hinges on whether the game is good or not. The hype for this game is through the roof and that gives us something to work with. But it will all be for nothing if the game ends up being a broken pile of trash.
Sales mean nothing. Im sure MK9 will sell millions of copies just as every other MK game has. That means nothing to the competitive player and has NOTHING to do with this site's mission anyway.
Likewise what happens online means nothing either. Im sure every online room will be filled 24/7 for the first 3 months the game is out, just like every MK game since MKD. Again, meaningless.

For MK9 to be taken seriously it starts and ends with the tournament community. If we can make it take hold at tournaments then even EVO becomes a possibility. If it sucks then 6 months after release it will be just another $19.99 bargain bin fighting game, and forgotten about.
Well said my friend. However, the same thing was said for a number of other FG titles.

In my eyes the MK team has embraced nothing but failure last decade. And once you embrace failure, you can't go anywhere else but up. I'm sure they realized this.

Dark_Rob

Noob
In my eyes the MK team has embraced nothing but failure last decade. And once you embrace failure, you can't go anywhere else but up. I'm sure they realized this.
Lets hope they have. Of course the problem with embracing failure for such long period of time is that failure can then become a habit, something youve conditioned yourself to do. Failure is only useful if you learn something from it. And for the past decade, they havent.
My expectations are reasonable. They dont need to make the most amazing fighting game ever created.(We already have UMK3 ;) ) We just need a game that is solid enough to take root within the tournament scene. SSF4 is not an amazing game and very few SF veterans would claim it is. But it is solid and it was solid at the right time and revitalized that communities tournament scene. Thats all we need, a solid game and we can work the same wonders.

Tim Static

Adminerator
I hope so, but i doubt it. Havent been able to trust these guys for over 13 years now. SO I'm supposed to dive in head first with a yes just because its 2d again etc without even playing it?

We'll see.

Well said my friend. However, the same thing was said for a number of other FG titles.

I'd be inclined to agree with this much, certainly. After all, as much as we may want the game to be great, we can't want more than whatever NR wants for themselves.

As a fighting game fan in general, it's often been tough being the one guy in my crowd who still has a soft spot for MK, and desired better for it. So, I would like nothing more than to see both MK2011 and HD Kollection alike be the things that help bolster MK's image. Maybe even make haters & doubters into believers, as well as bringing new blood to the mix.

Ilthuain

Lost in a labyrinth of egoism
I'm a member of the MK community that has been MIA since MK4, and MK9 hype has brought me back into the fold. Once we get close to release, some friends and I are planning on hosting MK events in Portland, something I've never even considered for other fighting games, even though I do play them and attend tournaments.

I don't want to represent myself as a quintessential member of the ex-player community at-large, but if MK9 has inspired me to plan events, then I can only assume that ex-players who are less motivated than myself would at least want to get back into the game to some extent.

Pistol

Noob
Will it bring back "veteran" players? If you mean teenagers in the 90s that played MK + MKII at the arcade? I'd say no, they've been out of the game too long.

I'll tell you what crowd it will attract. All the 09ers and lurkers from srk, the people that started getting really competitive at fighters with SFIV, the people 3 years ago, if they heard "Third Strike" they assumed somebody's out.

It's going to attract people that are put off from SF, because of the Japanese character design. They see the crazy hair Viper and Rose have, and wouldn't be caught dead playing it. Blazblue is very guilty of this. They're not built for the U.S. in that aspect, MK is. The first reason I wanted to play MK, was for how cool Sub Zero looked.

The opportunity is laid out perfectly for this MK. They make the mainstream gamer sale, pick up the "new" competitive fighting game player, and if they can get people like John Choi (He's trying it) playing MK competitively again. They got the best of both worlds.

Momotaro

Noob
I am in no way ashamed to call myself a MK fan. Fuck the haters! MK for life!

Anyway, one thing I didn't mention is that MK9 will be the first MK game for a good portion of the fighting game community. By that I mean the newer players that have never touched MK in their lives. Despite the few people that hate on MK9 for whatever reason, I'm sure the competitive FG community would love to see a good MK game that's widely available, new and competitive.

p.s. I don't know about y'all but we need some diversity in the scene.

Dark_Rob

Noob
Will it bring back "veteran" players? If you mean teenagers in the 90s that played MK + MKII at the arcade? I'd say no, they've been out of the game too long.

I'll tell you what crowd it will attract. All the 09ers and lurkers from srk, the people that started getting really competitive at fighters with SFIV, the people 3 years ago, if they heard "Third Strike" they assumed somebody's out.

It's going to attract people that are put off from SF, because of the Japanese character design. They see the crazy hair Viper and Rose have, and wouldn't be caught dead playing it. Blazblue is very guilty of this. They're not built for the U.S. in that aspect, MK is. The first reason I wanted to play MK, was for how cool Sub Zero looked.

The opportunity is laid out perfectly for this MK. They make the mainstream gamer sale, pick up the "new" competitive fighting game player, and if they can get people like John Choi (He's trying it) playing MK competitively again. They got the best of both worlds.
This man makes alot of good points, especially about the 09'ers. These are some of the people I plan on trying to recruit the most at tournaments. If John Choi likes it that will certainly help. In the east coast we have Sweet Johnny Cage and IloveuJoe. All these big names that 09'ers worship would likely try the game just because "well so and so is playing it so it must be good'
Im fine with that, however we snare them works for me.
Good shit Pistol.

Graveyard

Superb
I am so hyped for MK9. This game is going to be it, calling it now. I think with all the problems MK has had competitively, this game will solve them. Look at TVC... It is a mediocre game at best (I have it, it is not for me) but it came as a responce to eight years of MVC2 fans pleading capcom for a MVC3, what came was a vastly different game yet the scene latched on to it Immediately ( sure there were Mvc2 guys who refused to play it.)! MK9 Is the saving grace, it has the potential to be FAST, the ability to be frantic, and the purity of returning to a style of game that WE like. (2d) As far as the, "All the 3d mk's were broken HURF DURF" I say this... This is not a rushed game, the developers were given plenty of time and plenty of money.. sure there might be a few bugs here and there but that is what the competitive scene is about! *hemUMK3kunglaohatspincornerinfinitehem*. I wouldn't expect a day one infinite setup with this much time invested in making a sincere apology for that specific kind of nonsense! I say if there is this much hype, all we have to do to bring the hardcore MK scene to 2011 is to quit fucking bitching and PLAY THE GAME...

All there is left to do is wait.
And for all the guys who might have a hard time believing this, There's always the hope for UMK3 HD..!

Dark_Rob

Noob
I wouldn't expect a day one infinite setup with this much time invested in making a sincere apology for that specific kind of nonsense![/B]
Id be willing to make a $20 friendly bet that if there is an infinite REO,Check or Tom Brady will find it on day 1.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
I honestly think whether MK9 is good or not won't be the problem. It'll be fine.

What will be the problem is if people like the game or not. Brawl is awful, yet people play it in tournaments still.

Graveyard

Superb
Id be willing to make a $20 friendly bet that if there is an infinite REO,Check or Tom Brady will find it on day 1.
Lol. I was just saying as an example in comparison to MKDC being really buggy :/ ... I would not want to take the risk on those player's execution...

DanCock

Cock Master!!
Drumz found jades Infinite in less then 2 hours in MKA lol

on the subject i believe that this will bring back ALL of the old timers that use to play MK back in the day. and keep all the 3D mk players as well.

the hype for this game rivals that of MKD. MKD had the bringing back all the UMK3 characters, the first online fighting game for next gen systems (ps2). all the players that MKD had was crazy. i feel that MK9 will bring all the MKD players and all the MK2/UMK3 players to the table and they'll stay for awhile unlike MKA and MK vs DC.

we will be seeing a rise in tournament attendees i cant wait. ECT will be crazy i hope were ready for it, multiple tvs systems ETC etc..

side note ~ love seeing all the "new to the site" guys/gals input here, nice stuff guys..

I definitely do agree that this game will have the mainstream appeal in spades. After all, the main reason MK attracted people in the first place back in the day was because "it wasn't overly cartoony like SF". In that light alone, MK2011 has what it takes to do that all over again, just with the 09er on up crowd this time.

On the other hand, though? I disagree with you on saying that it's too late for the '90s kids. I mean, as a person who posts on neoGAF (definitely one of the most "interesting" places on the net for gaming news and updates), let me say that a lot of what has been seen thus far has delighted a lot of people who haven't touched a MK game in over a decade. Some of those trailer videos that edited in the Klassic MK techno theme? Made by GAFfers. :bigsmile:

Much like with SF4, what MK2011 stands to do is stroke that nostalgia factor for those older fans who were put off by those later games, and borderline jokes like MK: Special Forces. We're revisiting the original storyline, we're seeing a lot of those OG characters coming back in style and everything thus far just seems to be doing a lot to be the MK game that people have wanted to see for years. If that won't get the '90s kids back into the thick of things, well then dammit, nothing will!

MKF30

My prediction, Day 1 or month in the game, so won't matter since they'll be building this game for post game tweaks and patches :) so this makes me happy.

This game unlike the 3D games looks like it'll require a good amount of skill to do an infinite lol. If anyone though, probably Check...

Still with that being said, I highly doubt day one if week one will someone find a "bad glitch" with this much time invested, besides like graveyard stated....it looks deeper and NOT rushed, people need to remember this. NOT RUSHED!

Besides, it's not like MK is the only fighter ever made that has been broken or had glitches *cough MVC 2, SF II revisions, KI, SC3 *cough lol

Tim Static

Adminerator
Nobody has even played MK9 thats voted in this poll, yet you think this is it? MK9 COULD STILL SUCK ASS! AND PROBABLY WILL! Come on, you've all become jaded. It does look promising, but there is a track record i will not trust. MK9 Rv1.0 will most likely be asstastic. Hopefully MK9 Rv4.2 or MK10 will be. I'm not putting this game onto the back of our community just yet.

MKF30

Majority overrules! :p

MK 9 we don't know yet if it'll be the real deal, it's looking good but nobody has played it. That being said it's also unfair to say "it'll suck ass" prior to the games release. That is all.

We don't need another UMK3 clone for another successful, good MK game. I refuse to have that mindset.

Majority overrules! :p

MK 9 we don't know yet if it'll be the real deal, it's looking good but nobody has played it. That being said it's also unfair to say "it'll suck ass" prior to the games release. That is all.

We don't need another UMK3 clone for another successful, good MK game. I refuse to have that mindset.
Agreed.

Yes, NR definitely does have a lot to prove, as well as make up for so much lost time and potential. In many ways, the MK franchise was allowed to become as much of a joke Sega's Sonic, largely because of the way their respective handlers allowed their IPs to go that way. But unlike, say, Sonic 4? At least it seems like NR is actively TRYING with this new game. So that's why I'm at least willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, and at least see how well the game performs once it gets into our hands.

Of course, like I said on another forum, I still don't understand why WB and NR don't follow Capcom and MvC3's example, with allowing players to try out the game at major tournament events, as well as things like PAX, ComicCon and etc. I would like to think that some of the concern that permeates the scene would be alleviated (or at least would give NR time to adequately address it), if more people have actually gotten a chance to play the game at different intervals since E3 last year.

MKF30

Thanks. Well, I think it has a lot to do with time needs for your ladder point. That is a good idea, but also remember Midway would NEVER do that in a million years now WB on the other hand now that they own the MK series since 2009, still very young we've seen what they're doing for the fans, teases, vids, viral vids, interviews, twitter, list goes on and on...so I really can't criticize the MK team and WB for MK9 so far...

I think they've done a great job honestly, they have however had the game at several gaming events in 2010 which the players(us) who lived in those locations could have attended but didn't. Meaning Seattle, San Antonio, Brazil and Mexico. So they have let us try out the game at those events. One of them was PAX in Seattle, my beef was why the hell not some where BIGGER like NYC or LA...screw Seattle, who the hell lives in Seattle? lol But that's not their choice obviously...that's just a gaming event.

With your first point I think considering the time NS and WB has had so far they've done a damn good job, and especially been really respectful and considerate of the fans....I can't say every gaming company does that. I know some do now, others don't give a damn. I do think the MK team has gotten some unfair knocks over the years for reasons out of their control. Know what I mean? But I do believe they're busting their asses and with NS in tact since WB demanded it, I think it's a great thing for the MK team, for MK and for the MK fans. :)

Shark Tank

I don't actually play these games
There is definitely some interest popping up, and NR seems to be making good decisions. If the game turns out to be at least decent, I think it will have some solid turn outs. Players from other sites have been taking interest, and perhaps MK fans that have never really played it competitively will start stepping up. I'll just hope for the best. I think we'll see a-lot of new blood with this game if NR makes it happen.

Ilthuain

Lost in a labyrinth of egoism
Nobody has even played MK9 thats voted in this poll, yet you think this is it? MK9 COULD STILL SUCK ASS! AND PROBABLY WILL! Come on, you've all become jaded. It does look promising, but there is a track record i will not trust. MK9 Rv1.0 will most likely be asstastic. Hopefully MK9 Rv4.2 or MK10 will be. I'm not putting this game onto the back of our community just yet.
I played it at PAX, so does my vote count double?

(It's awesome, btw.)