What's new

Will BLOCKING be too strong in MK11?

Nerf blocking?

• Yes

Votes: 16 25.8%
  • Also yes

Votes: 46 74.2%

• Total voters
MK11 is looking to be the most honest competitive fighter NRS has made yet.

No more cheesy armored reversals when your negative on block.
No more safe 50/50s leading into full combos
No more crazy wakeups
No more "fuck the neutral" characters

They want the focus to be on spacing, footsies, and fundamentals.

But the one thing everyone is worried about is the fact that you can BLOCK enemy attacks. When you block, you take barely any damage and you can't be combo'd. In fact, you get PUNISHED for hitting people who are blocking because it leaves you "negative" when they block your attack, and they can hit you! The only thing you can do is throw. But you can't combo with throws, so it's kind of useless.

I think blocking needs a major nerf before release.
Post of the year.

Reactions: RYX

Zhidoreptiloid

Watcher from the sky
Upd: Uh, that is joke. But, anyway, my text will be useful

Where is answer NO, of cource NO in the poll?
1) with such absurd cheap-damage, like in NRS-games, blocking is always not good option
2) with stupid deaths from cheap-damage block is always not good option
3) tech like PBlck is tryhard and need strong execution and tens of hours in training room
In other fighting games block is MUCH MUCH BETTER, than in NRS games -
1) in many fighting games cheap-damage not lead to damage (grey damage) until you will hit or even no cheap-damage at all (no cheap)
2) in most of fighting games you can kill opponent ONLY in hit, no cheap-damage style from NRS, and that make sooo hype comeback-potential
3) in couple of other defence mechanics (for example - sc6, we have 1) block, 2) GI, 3) RE, 4) Step and duck) we have much more synergy for block, as defensive mechanic and not only attacking player have a mixup - defensive player have mix-up too (sc6)

Last edited:

Killusion

Stream addict
Obviously. Blocking = cheating.

So who is going to make "Will jumping be too strong in MK11" and "Will throws be too strong in MK11" threads?

Yoaks

A spaceman
I was talking about command grabs, if you hold down you evade command grabs and block mids and lows. It covers everything except OHs once you're blocking a string, which makes them pointless as grabs should bypass blocking. You should either duck or block, not both. It also makes regular highs crap in Injustice as you always duck them.

Basically the only thing you really have to pay attention to during a blockstring are OHs, holding down covers everything.

In SF for example you have to hold down and back to block low, and just down to evade.
I'm assuming your talking about characters that have command grabs that hit high. Like Ivy, HB, Sub etc..
But thats not the case for Bane, Swamp Thing or Scarecrow. Since theirs hit mid.

Last edited:

Lokheit

Noob
I'm assuming your talking about characters that have command grabs that hit high. Like Ivy, HB, Sub etc..
But thats not the case for Bane, Swamp Thing or Scarecrow. Since theirs hit mid.
Yeah, mostly played some of those and I always saw those moves as actually worse than if they were Mids (just Mids, no Mid grabs) because they had the weaknesses of grabs but not the advantages since they didn't bypass blocks.

The fact that ducking and blocking used the same input made those command grabs just highs that you couldn't combo into, and you couldn't tick into anyway.

Oh and you had to endure the DBF inputs even if they were worse than Mids.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
MK11 is looking to be the most honest competitive fighter NRS has made yet.

No more cheesy armored reversals when your negative on block.
No more safe 50/50s leading into full combos
No more crazy wakeups
No more "fuck the neutral" characters

They want the focus to be on spacing, footsies, and fundamentals.

But the one thing everyone is worried about is the fact that you can BLOCK enemy attacks. When you block, you take barely any damage and you can't be combo'd. In fact, you get PUNISHED for hitting people who are blocking because it leaves you "negative" when they block your attack, and they can hit you! The only thing you can do is throw. But you can't combo with throws, so it's kind of useless.

I think blocking needs a major nerf before release.
This is big jokes but there are real scrubs who believe this about fighting games in general, that blocking is “cheap”.

With how good defense looks in this game, I foresee a completely unironic version of this thread in the future.

Lex Luthor II

Lord of Lightning
Luckily for me its going to take two months at least to remember back =/= block in MK, and will be smacked mercilessly for it.