What's new

Why neutral ducking S U C K S

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
There’s another “The meta is bad because it’s not the meta I specifically want” thread about every day now :confused:
I actually love these threads, they're so hilarious that you get to see how far som TYM members actually came from vs ppl who played only MKX

AbeW

Noob
Anyone with half a wit knows neutral duck is a high risk read. Learn to tech throws on reaction if you wanna level up. Keep doing it and you will get it. Do what you can do first. The mind can exhibit phenomenal levels of adaptation. Same goes with antiairs which were secure in MKX if ya trained right. In MK11, its a sht show due to the lousy hit/hurt boxes. Fk, this game sucks on so many levels when compared to its predecessor MKX, no matter how hard i try to like it. Another inj2 like early death comin up soon, i hope.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
I honestly have an easier time neutral ducking, depending on the opponent, rather than teching a throw. I would rather get hit by a few D1s, than get thrown and possibly tech wrong and get that KB. I think that neutral ducks are pretty good, if you try and D2 as a read and guess wrong (I do that sometimes instead of just waiting to see what they're gonna do), then yeah it sucks, but I think that once you get comfy doing it then it's really useful.

FoughtDragon01

Ask me about my Mileena agenda.
Neutral ducking is one of those things that I can see the usefulness in, but can never get into the habit of doing. I think it's because I fight so many characters with such strong and fast mids that the idea of letting go of block willingly while they're in my face seems suicidal. At that point, I'd rather take my chances with the tech. Like, I wish I had the brass balls to neutral duck right in front of a Jacqui like how Dragon did at the grand finals. But I do acknowledge that it is a high-risk move that can give you a free full combo punish on the right read. I just don't have the confidence in my reads to use it quite yet.

Kenshi-Keanu-Kool

D1 mashing is the tactic when skill fails !
Controversial title, right? Anyways, as you could guess from my title I'm about to say my two cents about neutral ducking.
People are saying the mix in this game is throw or mid. People go for this "mix" on knockdown all the time. Geras is inflated up the tier list because his "50/50" on this is near unreactable. FoxyGrampa made it to winner's finals with mostly this 50/50.
This is only "mix" if you're going for the riskiest defense option and trying to neutral duck. I see more people get stuck on that "50/50" and don't even have the reaction to tech grabs.
The only 50/50 you should be guessing on is which way to tech. If players just held their block keys and tried to react to the grab and tech, people would take so much less damage in the long run.

Now I know what the defenses are going to be:
1.) "Oh, Kutless, the throw crushing blows on escape failed are so op." okay yea lets say 320 damage at most. How about you tell me how bad that throw damage is after you get opened up by the third 400+dmg Kung Lao/Geras Bnb because you tried to neutral duck.
2.) "Oh, you dumb nerd it also makes highs whiff." Okay, well as someone who uses johnny cage a lot, not really. If you're caught in enough hit or blockstun someone can punish your neutral duck "read" with a high and once again: full combo you. All this to avoid 320 damage? It's the riskiest anti-high/throw option you have and everyone seems so keen to use it. I literally have ranked sets where my opponents do not block, at all.
3.) "You're just saying this because you're mad and lose a lot because of neutral ducking," I don't. There's all of one player I know with a consistent neutral duck game ( @Based Pr0digy ) but even he will say it is a dangerous game to play and I wholeheartedly agree. (Also he's psychic but that's a whole other thread.)
4.) "Reward is worth the risk" Okay so the combo open ups are nice, but you can get just as much with os'ing options. But you should save the D2 crushing blow for a very obvious throw/high. Or maybe as an actual whiff punish.

Options that should be getting used:
Neutral Jumping: If timed right and not used often can catch the opponent off guard, and punish throws as well as melee in one option.
Blocking and then reacting to tech: You just hold block and look closely to see if your character gets grabbed. The throw tech mindgame is a 50/50, but most players will throw you towards the nearest corner. So 2 for forward guess and 1 for sideswitch guess.
Also you cant be hitting block when you tech for those of you first time blockers.

So yea here's my thesis on why everyone neutral ducks too much and loses to fake stuff. Anyone care to voice an opinion? Friendly disagreements encouraged.
This looks like a episode of the Big Bang Theory . Not funny .............and full ..........of Theories . Sorry .

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
What if when both players press throw at the same time, the characters just hugged it out?

Blewdew

PSN: MaxKayX3
I honestly have an easier time neutral ducking, depending on the opponent, rather than teching a throw. I would rather get hit by a few D1s, than get thrown and possibly tech wrong and get that KB. I think that neutral ducks are pretty good, if you try and D2 as a read and guess wrong (I do that sometimes instead of just waiting to see what they're gonna do), then yeah it sucks, but I think that once you get comfy doing it then it's really useful.
But you can also eat a full combo for doing this. If someone breaks out of a combo I usually just walk them down until they get up and do f4 with kabal, hits 90% of the time because people always expect a throw and go for the hard read. You‘re lucky when you only get hit by a poke