What's new

Why MK Needs Its Own Majors + Some Suggestions

I thought maybe a regional event would help bring attention and more people into the scene. Something in Boston would greatly increase the likelyhood of me going. I hear you though, there's just not a lot of people in the region period.

I guess what I'm saying is, I really need to move back to Philly. Go Philies! :D
I see what you're saying, but there's only going to be a limited number of these qualifiers, and having one in Boston means there isn't one somewhere else. I wouldn't want New England to be taking a qualifier spot away from an area with a more dedicated MK scene.

jamessmk

I am your god
Please guys keep the suggesting up. This will happen if it is supported well. No more online vs offline. United all this community is huge and should be treated as such.

Hey guys, what's up? This is my second post on here but I'm not new to MK or the fighting game scene at all. I am a mod on SRK and a long time avid tournament player in fighters (past 11 years). Anyway, I had heard from the other MK players in my area that there was talk about having a nationals somewhere but the location was still tbd. I went ahead and sent this to Tim Static:

Hellfromabove on SRK PM said:
I don't think we formally know each other so I'll just start off with a little introduction. I've been on SRK for the past 10 years but been in the fighting community for the past 11. I used to hold tournaments at many arcades such as Family Fun Arcade, Arcade Infinity, and Denjin Arcade and also helped out at countless majors. Probably for the past 5 years I've been helping run stuff at Evo as well.

Now that that's out of the way I was talking to the others in the MK scene in my area and the topic of an MK nationals came up. They said that people are asking for one but they are debating a location for it. I was hoping to throw my hat in to the ring for this. Our local arcade is about 3600 sqft and I have it to my disposal since I help the owner out with a lot of stuff. We hold tournaments there about twice a month and each one has been great. As far as the scene goes, we have a good amount of players that placed pretty high at Evo; about 10 placed top 32 and 1 or 2 placed top 8 (not quite sure on the exact number).

The location is Gemini Arcade Palace in Las Vegas. The place is very spacious since the owner just wanted a place for people to come and hang out. We would be able to push all the machines to the wall since there aren't that many and have a ton of space for the tourney. Also, the location being Las Vegas would be really good since apart from the tourney there is a lot to do. If you were to consider this I was hoping of having the National tourney in Novemeber of next year but I could run a test Nationals in February. I wanted to pass this to someone who is knowledgeable in MK first before posting it anywhere to see what would have to be done first etc.
So for you guys that did not bother reading the above quote I'll summarize it. I've been wanting to throw a Major event in Las Vegas for the longest time now and was planning on announcing one soon. After I heard about all this I thought of putting my hat in the ring. I have a location already for it and was hoping we could throw the Nationals in November but also just throw a test run in February. I have a stream going on tomorrow and I'll be talking more about it then. If people are in agreement I can post this thing. The sooner the better.

Stream link is:

www.twitch.tv/toptiergaming/

EDIT:

If there is interest I can get video footage of the arcade tomorrow and post it up on youtube so people can see how spacious it actually is.

-Tha Hindu

McNasty

Moist.
Vegas is an easy drive from AZ and CA sounds like it just needs a name and some more people on board. In the chances that EVO doesnt have MK return the community should be all about having a national tourney once a year to look forward to. PDP/EVO round 2.

Vegas is an easy drive from AZ and CA sounds like it just needs a name and some more people on board. In the chances that EVO doesnt have MK return the community should be all about having a national tourney once a year to look forward to. PDP/EVO round 2.
Yeah, if I can get more people on board then I can possibly get the February test Nationals in to the Evo tournament season. I'll head over to Gemini today and catch footage of the place for everyone to see how spacious it is.

-Tha Hindu

Alright caught some 1080p footage and just finished uploading it. Just gives you a brief walkthrough of the place along with some commentary from myself giving my 2 cents on why this is going to be a great location for it.

-Tha Hindu