What's new

Why MK Needs Its Own Majors + Some Suggestions

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
It would be great to have NRS involved and I'm sure they would probably and fucking hopefully stop in but I would not rely on them for anything... IMO, this should remain "by the players".

Basically, we shouldn't be dependent on NRS, we should rely on ourselves.
What I mean is they could at least help market it. I remember the in-house tournament NRS held got thousands of viewers just from some official tweets.

Honestly, my opinion would be closer to spring break? Have the qualifiers during winter, and then hype up the invitational closer to spring. This gives the players more time to train once they know they're going, and would provide ensure quality matches throughout the whole tournament.

CptXecution

Brain Dead Bro
Maybe get NRS involved in some way? They could help with some funding and market it better than the FG community can, both with competitors and viewers.
EXACTLY what I was going to say. Possibly even host it at NRS if they have the room.

As far as location, J think it souls be regions. NorCal, SoCal, NY, New England etc.

catch22

GOD LAO FTW!!!
so what would a good pot bonus be for all of you? $500/$600/$1000?
whats the minimum you would show for? meaning travel to the tournament for, lets say...milwaukee wi? xD

dont ask why i ask, just answer the question at hand }8-[=[

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
Burzy, like I said, you can't count on the established big Capcom tourneys to be your sugar daddies. That's why I made sure to mention the examples of other non-Capcom games doing things like I'm describing here.

You know what... it'd be a treat from the players to NRS to have this thing in Chicago, lol.

Regardless, there are so many questions to be answered, it's crazy but this is 100% hype nevertheless.

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
What I mean is they could at least help market it. I remember the in-house tournament NRS held got thousands of viewers just from some official tweets.
In that case I 100% agree but that would also go without saying, I would hope lol

Ashenar

Just a slightly above average player.....
I know the Talent down here in the southeast is pretty solid. I know Pig ATL Redd and Atl Batman everytime i've seen them on stream have been super solid.
Down here in florida we have Noobe who placed 8th at CEO and top 16 at pdp back at the start and has been one of the strongest players down here in florida. We also have Mezmerise aka Mike also Issac and last but not least D.R. who's been one of the strongest noob saibot players and tech creators on the forums. As far as tournament showings down here the community is split up into three sections we have tampa orlando and miami so far I think if we pulled everyone together which I hope happens next week at expcon we could have a showing of 30+ which would be big for us down here seeing that mk is a little new down here well atleast this version in the arcades. I know most of the people I met at the local arcade down here where willing to play but just didn't have any high level person to help push the learning curve at final round in miami but that will be changing soon enough.

Sabin

Elder God
The good thing about Funkdoc's suggestion is, it helps for the case to get MK back at Evo as well, shows the community stepped their shit up and is organized. I do think the time is right for a MK only major to branch off, players are obviously passionate. Evo is still godlike though, even though SF is the focus can't forget about that event since it's the most widely watched tourney in the world.

I agree with all this.
Also thanks for mentioning Vegas. We have a lot of players that kinda slip under the radar. Also like 6 out of the 7 heavy MK hitters made it outta MK pools.
We didn't even know Denzel lived here until he showed up to a local tourny one day and blew us all up lol.

Good shit.

Sabin is dead on here. I'm definitely not saying that we should abandon Evo and other majors, not even close! Just that we should be able to get something going on our own in addition to supporting those.

Also, I'm not big on the idea of a last-chance qualifier considering most people would have to travel quite a ways to this event. It works for SBO since Japan is a small country. The only exception I see would be if a good number of international players decided to show up...you could perhaps run a tournament with them and let the top 4 into the main bracket.

hardwire

Noob
Thanks Hito, but I think it would be better for the community overall if Nationals were not on one of the coasts (think of travel costs etc.). SC3 Nationals was in Chicago, while SC4 was in Colorado.

Actually Chicago seems like a very fitting choice here as well given, you know, NRS and all.
i have to say texas

but chicago works to :( i wont be able to make it till i get sponsored though

EndofGameBoss

That's about right.
I would love to see such a thing happen. MK9 is stronger than people believe. I thought I was getting bored with it then bam! All of a sudden I love it even more. We deserve our own scene and tournament. Mk has been around way too long not to.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
Curious to know how many players are students. I know it would help my case if the tourney's happened around non S tier holidays ... christmas thanksgiving.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
If you guys were serious about this, like REALLY serious, we could consider pooling our donations into a tournament fundraiser. I am currently residing in Northern Maine, but Boston could be a potential destination....

Sabin

Elder God
If this event does materalize and actually gets off the ground I'm gonna say this early: CALL SPOOKY for the main event lol. Just saying :)

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

kandehbar

The Gryphon
Im pretty sure that we could do an mk9 set up at the Expo center in DC its huge, outlets everywhere and its in the nations capital. I mean why isnt there majors in The capital of the U.S of A. I think it is possible

mingzang

Master of Disaster
I really want to go to every tournament , but money & location are my biggest problem :( .
I wish i could be in the USA :( .

jamessmk

I am your god
All things considered should not be an invitational, that would limit turn-out. Prizes should be 10,000/5,000/2,500 that should temp the cream of the crop and some of those that may be good/ bad no ambition to show.

Also like this Ohio vs NY there should be teams for regions. Like NFL/WWE. With a trophy give to top city. Max players per team 15.

There is many opportunities to blow the scene up. I personally am all for it and I TOO will pool my resource to make it happen.

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
Send some of the funding to the UK and we can hold a qualifier here and use the money to send the qualifiers over ;) ?

Make the tournament global, fly in players from around the world, and make it like the MK world cup!