What's new

Why MK Needs Its Own Majors + Some Suggestions

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
This is a great idea. Too good to just let it go because we're all too lazy.

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
Straight up, I firmly believe Chicago would be a perfect location for this (I would say Philly because it's only a 2 hr drive for me :) but this needs to be centralized to potentially cater to as many players as possible.

One other thing though... this is an idea that [MENTION=5186]funkdoc[/MENTION] originally posted and we're all going crazy over it now. From this point I think it would be a good idea to potentially choose a "team" or staff to really begin looking in to this. We can all say "this is awesome, this needs to be done!" but when do we put our feet on the ground and start moving forward with this. Maybe I'm jumping the gun... but I don;t think so.

Side note: I would be love to and be willing to help coordinate/run this event - just sayin' ;)

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
You and Funkdoc are doing it because let's be real, no one else is going to. Get to work.

I have no experience in planning events like this but would love to do whatever I can as part of a team! Luckily I know a couple people who were involved in planning/running the Soul Calibur nationals so I should be able to ask them for advice.

EDIT: Just thought of something regarding qualifier rules. First off, I'm just going to reiterate that we should require a match between the 5th place finishers in all qualifiers, for the purpose of deciding alternates.

But there's something kinda tricky with that. Players who have already qualified should not be allowed to enter any further qualifiers. Duh. But what about those who are stuck in "alternate" limbo? If the players above them have already committed to Nationals, I think they should be able to enter other qualifiers and try for a guaranteed spot. Can't see too good of a reason not to allow this...do others agree?

Also, I feel bad about leaving basically the entire northwest out of my qualifier list. It just feels wrong when you map them out, but AFAIK there aren't nearly enough players in those areas to deserve qualifiers over the others I mentioned.

Ashenar

Just a slightly above average player.....
I'd love to hit up the windy city for a tournament. Chicago gets my vote.

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
dallas gets my vote

come on its tom bradys home turf

make it happen!
IF this happens, we need to think of the needs of many and not of the few, hence why I am pushing for Chicago even though I like in PA.

hardwire

Noob
IF this happens, we need to think of the needs of many and not of the few, hence why I am pushing for Chicago even though I like in PA.
do we know the regions people are mostly in?

eh ill go for the bigger turn out i just know Dallas has a lot of the things that are needed.

a close regional airport and a international airport (all with in 10 min of each other) they have the Hilton hotel and conference center (quakecon is held there every year-they love gamers)

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
do we know the regions people are mostly in?

eh ill go for the bigger turn out i just know Dallas has a lot of the things that are needed.

a close regional airport and a international airport (all with in 10 min of each other) they have the Hilton hotel and conference center (quakecon is held there every year-they love gamers)
Hmm, I gotta hand it to you for really thinking about the needs of others there. I thought you were just saying Dallas because you live there. :D

Yeah, being close to an airport is actually extremely essential... that's one of the things so nice about [MENTION=1580]BigE[/MENTION]'s events... this December at NEC, it's at the Sheraton again and it's 1 mile away from the Philly airport where we went to pick up [MENTION=3]Krayzie[/MENTION] earlier this year for WB5. ;)

First off if there is anything I can do to help please let me know.

My thoughts are this:

Screw the regional qualifiers and just have a huge MK National Championship event. I think it is much easier to get support for 1 huge event than a bunch of smaller events that lead to a big event. Personally if there were regionals I would go and compete but I am not skilled enough to qualify for the nationals so I would not attend the nationals. If it was just a register and go to the national event I would go and compete.

I like the time frame of early fall for this sort of event. It does give people some time to save up after EVO to attend. I would also throw out that I think it should take place in the midwest where the scene is strong. I say the midwest because it is easier for BOTH coasts to get players to the midwest than 1 coast be heavily represented and the other not so much. How about Chicago for instance right in NRS' back yard.

EDIT: OK just saw the thread was 3 pages long not 1 so ignore things if they have already been discussed.

hardwire

Noob
Hmm, I gotta hand it to you for really thinking about the needs of others there. I thought you were just saying Dallas because you live there. :D

Yeah, being close to an airport is actually extremely essential... that's one of the things so nice about [MENTION=1580]BigE[/MENTION]'s events... this December at NEC, it's at the Sheraton again and it's 1 mile away from the Philly airport where we went to pick up [MENTION=3]Krayzie[/MENTION] earlier this year for WB5. ;)
na i want it dallas so i can actually go but i know dallas is selected a lot for pc gaming comp because of the close airports and so far no real problems with security and electronics

hell the nppl (paint ball pros) play in dallas and they have to haul nitrus (not the same thing in cars its high pressure air) on planes and dfw just makes em lock it away and prove they are vented proper (thows things are like bombs when they fail)

plus like i said there are a load of venues to choose from

jamessmk

I am your god
Chicago has all airports as well as NY. The both are two cities synonymous for conventions. Plus, yes I am in NY, but I pick it because people always want to visit and see the big apple. But, that aside Chicago is where MK was born, so that is up to the fans. We should poll TYM to see a city of choice.

Also, note that since bringing myself out of so called MK retirement, I still have a lot of contacts with NRS and other industry people. I would be willing to do whatever I need to get this going.

Keep in mind, you can not limit it to people who qualify. It should be open To all people who want to enter.

Side note just a a joke we should make a little room 4x4. For SF4, so they no what it like

Anyway let put a team of people together and get this going before MK12

EDIT: aj1701, I know very little about MK in the New England area. I know CT has a good Nightwolf player named Phoenix, but I've seen a tournament there and it wasn't that large + none of the other players seemed that great. I can't name any other players from that area except mcpeanuts (he's MA right?). This turned out to be much tougher than I thought even going with 64 players, as we would likely still have to stick to regions with more established scenes.

I will grant that 4 quals in the tri-state area might be excessive, but there should be no less than 3 given how many strong players are there.
I am, in fact, from MA.

The MK scene in New England is not very big. The last local tournament got 8 people. No players from New England have made top 8 at any major tournament. I don't think it makes sense to have a qualifier in New England. Which I'm fine with... assuming that if I show up to one of these tri-state qualifiers, no one's going to kick me out of the building for being a filthy godless MA player.

Also, go Patriots.

hardwire

Noob
Chicago has all airports as well as NY. The both are two cities synonymous for conventions. Plus, yes I am in NY, but I pick it because people always want to visit and see the big apple. But, that aside Chicago is where MK was born, so that is up to the fans. We should poll TYM to see a city of choice.

Also, note that since bringing myself out of so called MK retirement, I still have a lot of contacts with NRS and other industry people. I would be willing to do whatever I need to get this going.

Keep in mind, you can not limit it to people who qualify. It should be open To all people who want to enter.

Side note just a a joke we should make a little room 4x4. For SF4, so they no what it like

Anyway let put a team of people together and get this going before MK12
i would say keep it dallas or chicago that way its the same distance from both coast.

also no have a sign that says sf this way and lead it to the bathroom

Noob
FYI, Kombat Network has some major things in the works...

I've been talking with JamessMK, Summ0ning and others about these things... which we will be ready to announce soon, but...

[MENTION=5186]funkdoc[/MENTION] please PM me your phone number.. I'd like to talk to you about some stuff... we're already in some very basic planning stages for something like this but you're the first to mention it on the forum recently... I'll talk to you soon.

Sao87

@thedigitaldojo
If something like this happens I can definitely do coverage for the AZ qualifier.

I'd also like for Europe to hold some kind of qualifier so America can shut them up once and for all.

Sao87

@thedigitaldojo
First off if there is anything I can do to help please let me know.

My thoughts are this:

Screw the regional qualifiers and just have a huge MK National Championship event. I think it is much easier to get support for 1 huge event than a bunch of smaller events that lead to a big event. Personally if there were regionals I would go and compete but I am not skilled enough to qualify for the nationals so I would not attend the nationals. If it was just a register and go to the national event I would go and compete.

I like the time frame of early fall for this sort of event. It does give people some time to save up after EVO to attend. I would also throw out that I think it should take place in the midwest where the scene is strong. I say the midwest because it is easier for BOTH coasts to get players to the midwest than 1 coast be heavily represented and the other not so much. How about Chicago for instance right in NRS' back yard.

EDIT: OK just saw the thread was 3 pages long not 1 so ignore things if they have already been discussed.
There needs to be some sort of regional qualifier to truly bring the best of each region out for one great event. Telling everyone that there is an event and everyone is invited has never truly brought the world together to compete in mortal kombat.

CptXecution

Brain Dead Bro
I'm 100% for helping out with this in whatever way I can.

I agree with making this in Chicago, where MK was born, it's only right including the region.

I don't have the connections a lot of you guys do but anything I can do I'd love to be part of the group the helps put this thing together.

jamessmk

I am your god
There needs to be some sort of regional qualifier to truly bring the best of each region out for one great event. Telling everyone that there is an event and everyone is invited has never truly brought the world together to compete in mortal kombat.
While in theory I would agree, the problem is you are knocking down the competition. This will mean less turn out less money. Sponsors are petty much about the money. More people, more profit, more donating to scene. They are not going to help scene out of bottoms of their hearts unfortunately. But, we could do qualifiers, during year and the winner of this tournament will get wild card buy into a top 32. The person with most qualify points will get a buy into semi-final, due to his or her dedication on tournament scene and point acquisition.

Just a thought

jamessmk's idea sounds a lot like this year's Evo Series tournaments. They picked a variety of majors around the country and awarded Evo seeding points to the top placers in those, with total points being used to decide final seeding.

Personally, I think that would be a great format for MK as well, particularly if we decide to make this a world championship. The "Nationals" idea would make it very difficult to include players from elsewhere around the world, and people wouldn't get to see the best players as often since they wouldn't be allowed to enter anymore after qualifying.

I still have a soft spot for the concept of an exclusive tournament with regional qualifiers, but this may well be better for the MK community at this point. Yeah, I'd be down with this as well.

jamessmk

I am your god
I am hoping our world friends could get tournaments together, and determine top spots in there regions. we could push some sponsorships to foot bill for some player. This is where we need help from our Euro and Sub Americana amigos. As much as I would like to have top 2 or 3 individual players from there region, I do not know if it can work. I much prefer top England/Greece /Chile. But I may be Europe and S America top. What are your thoughts guys?

aj1701

Noob
If you guys were serious about this, like REALLY serious, we could consider pooling our donations into a tournament fundraiser. I am currently residing in Northern Maine, but Boston could be a potential destination....
Ya, I think it'd be a real disservice not to have a Boston location for the NE region. It would certainly be doable for me, I'd love to go just for the experience.

I am, in fact, from MA.

The MK scene in New England is not very big. The last local tournament got 8 people. No players from New England have made top 8 at any major tournament. I don't think it makes sense to have a qualifier in New England. Which I'm fine with... assuming that if I show up to one of these tri-state qualifiers, no one's going to kick me out of the building for being a filthy godless MA player.
I thought maybe a regional event would help bring attention and more people into the scene. Something in Boston would greatly increase the likelyhood of me going. I hear you though, there's just not a lot of people in the region period.

I guess what I'm saying is, I really need to move back to Philly. Go Philies! :D

jamessmk

I am your god
To all the people who want regional ranking. I suggest you monitor and record tournament results
Give them to storm or Tim or phil. This way we can start a rank and rate group like MLB. Then we will have true records... Good luck and be honest