What's new

why is it seen as elitism to want more comic book fans buying this game?

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
I'm not saying why are they here if they aren't reading comic books I'm just not getting the people that don't even try to do research and go into the game without a single clue

you don't need to read every issue that character has appeared in to know about that character...we have the internet
You also don't need to know anything about a character to learn frame data. It goes both ways man. Some people just aren't as into it as others.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

Crimson Cobra

The Ultimate Shadow
They think people play fighting games just for the mechanics, the gameplay or whatever, but the truth is people decide to play a fighting game because multiple factors, being one the gameplay but not neccesarily the most important factor.
of course but for me it's not the gameplay but the characters too....it's depressing seeing people play as not who they like but who they think is the best character regardless on if they fit their playstyle or not

too many times I've seen people tier jockey onto characters simply because of tournaments and tier lists...not because they actually like the character it's quite sad really

when did we start caring less about fun and more about winning with no enjoyment to it?

Jack White

The Clown Prince of Crime
Is there some sort of blackmail going on here? This thread just got interesting.
You really hadn't figured it out? This guy is NightMareBunny from the GFaqs boards and he posted the same topic there too. The term "NMB" topic comes from the mvc3 boards where he used to lurk. It's basically a way of writing off what he has to say because he used to make A LOT of stupid topics. This one is actually pretty tame by his old standards.

How I know this is NMB:
1) He made this very topic on the Gfaqs boards.
2) He currently has a Raven avatar, the very character he said he'd be maining back in Gfaqs
3) His posting style and the very nature of this topic is all too familiar.

Crimson Cobra

The Ultimate Shadow
You also don't need to know anything about a character to learn frame data. It goes both ways man. Some people just aren't as into it as others.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2
and some people don't give a crap about frame data some of us aren't fighting game wizards that have to deconstruct everything

aldazo

Waiting for Havik
...it's depressing seeing people play as not who they like but who they think is the best character regardless on if they fit their playstyle or not
Dont worry man, that just few people, just some of the so called competitive players. But what can I say, if they like it so be it.

too many times I've seen people tier jockey onto characters simply because of tournaments and tier lists...not because they actually like the character it's quite sad really

when did we start caring less about fun and more about winning with no enjoyment to it?
Well, again, they are really few people, so I dont see any problem.

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
I remember yu liking Johnny Cage not only because of his F3, am I right?
I played him a bit in other MKs before MK9, but when the game first game out I tried Kabal, KL, Sub and Kano (as in Day 1) before I played Cage. I just played who I thought was the most fun. Punching balls, ya know.

Stop being an asshole man, we know you are a competitive player, you use to be a cool guy, I dont know what happen. You should know that the majority of buyers aren't competitive players.
Yeah, like 1% of the people who bought MK9 go to TYM. This site is for competitive gaming not for casual gaming. I'm sorry if that makes me look like an asshole. I help people who take MK9 serious of all skill levels as long as they want to be competitive. If it makes me an asshole that I want TYM to be all about competitive gameplay (of all skill levels, just not casual) then an asshole I am.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
and some people don't give a crap about frame data some of us aren't fighting game wizards that have to deconstruct everything
That is exactly my point dude, it's a two way street. They don't have to learn about characters just like you don't have to learn frame data. However you are coming onto a fighting game forum where people are here to learn about fighting games, not Batman. That's why you are catching so much flak right now.

All of this thread is TL;DR, so now it's my turn:

Fighting game. Not a comic. Can't play a comic book.

If you want more comic fans to be buying this game, there need to be more comic book fans. It's a big deal for any issue of a comic to sell more than 100,000 copies, which means less than 0.1% of the population is reading them. The total number drops even lower when you consider that a single person reads and buys multiple series. And very few of them probably play fighters with any dedication too. They might pickup this game but odds are they'll quit when they realize how bad they suck at it and the novelty wears off.

80% of this game's player-base will come from other fighting games, another 15% will probably be gamers new to the genre, and the remainder will be comic book readers. Listing them at 5% is generous too. It's not to say most people playing this game will lack familiarity with the characters... it'll just be from movies and Saturday morning cartoon shows they watched as kids.

It's not that wanting more comic book fans to pickup this game is elitist, it's just that it's mathematically impossible. There aren't enough to have them all buy the game and have a large enough percentage of them like it to the point they assimilate into the community and make any sort of splash in it. There will be some that do, but we're talking a statistical blip for the most part in comparison to the swath of people playing this game who won't know fucking dick about comics and will be 100% A-O.K. with that.

The elitism comes in when a vibe is given off like "holy shit, there are people on the internet acting like I'm doing something wrong by being an adult and not knowing anything about comics." That really rubs people the wrong way. I've got no problem with adults reading comic books. A huge chunk of my TV viewing time goes into Family Guy, The Simpsons, Futurama and South Park, I'm fucking obsessed with DBZ: Abridged and I have like 1200 posts on a Mortal Kombat forum. Everyone's got their girl-repellant somewhere, but recognize that the target audience for your hobby is eight.

Your best bet with this game is that it CREATES more comic book readers rather than drawing in more comic book readers. And the best way to do that is by not falling into the stereotype of the nitpicky nerd. You're in a very, very, very tiny minority, and one shithead can ruin the majority's perception of the entire group forever. After that then maybe the comic book source material will inform the game in future sequels, but until then, this game 98% geared towards fighting gamers that watched Justice League, BTAS, STAS and allllllll those blockbusters as kids... all of them, basically.

But what comic book fans have to realize is that it's perfectly acceptable for a grown-up to not know anything/give one single shit about comic books. And that when it comes to this stuff, everyone speaks entirely from their ass because it's all make-believe. There is no holy grail of the "rational and informed" superhero discussion.

First, those numbers are about what a book sells are off because of illegal downloading. Second, are those percentages you gave factual or are you just guessing? So this game is geared towards the FGC that watched the cartoons? I don't think so. Let's be real, the majority of the people who are going to pick up this game are going to do so because Batman/Superman/The Joker are on the cover They'll play the story mode and ladder, maybe play a little online and then move on the next game.

NeverAsked4This

Sarif Industries: Private Security Officer
You really hadn't figured it out? This guy is NightMareBunny from the GFaqs boards and he posted the same topic there too. The term "NMB" topic comes from the mvc3 boards where he used to lurk. It's basically a way of writing off what he has to say because he used to make A LOT of stupid topics. This one is actually pretty tame by his old standards.

How I know this is NMB:
1) He made this very topic on the Gfaqs boards.
2) He currently has a Raven avatar, the very character he said he'd be maining back in Gfaqs
3) His posting style and the very nature of this topic is all too familiar.
This is NightMareBunny? Hahaha, I remember him.

Personally, I enjoyed his topics. Well, maybe not the topics themselves, but the reactions they inspire. He reminds me of what Butters from South Park would be if he was a real person. It's like every time he'd make a thread, people would come into it just to shut him down but it just didn't phase him.

I played him a bit in other MKs before MK9, but when the game first game out I tried Kabal, KL, Sub and Kano (as in Day 1) before I played Cage. I just played who I thought was the most fun. Punching balls, ya know.

Yeah, like 1% of the people who bought MK9 go to TYM. This site is for competitive gaming not for casual gaming. I'm sorry if that makes me look like an asshole. I help people who take MK9 serious of all skill levels as long as they want to be competitive. If it makes me an asshole that I want TYM to be all about competitive gameplay (of all skill levels, just not casual) then an asshole I am.
Agreed.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
what are you talking about? this site is for everyone, I bet you there are registered more fans that competitive players.
This is true, but if you want to talk comic books I have a thread I made specifically for the players who want to do just that. Everyone who doesn't can simply go about learning MK/IGAU. Not everyone cares about comics and they have that right, why get butthurt if they don't?

aldazo

Waiting for Havik
Not everyone cares about comics and they have that right, why get butthurt if they don't?
Why you think he got butthurt? I read the first post and yes he can't stand people that buy the game without knowing about the char's backgrounds but he didn't start to attack people or calling names. I don't see a problem to voice his opinion, he didn't start to insult people.

Posthuman

Where's TJ Combo?
Its a fighting game, I would have preferred if they made Killer Instinct instead but Injustice is fine.

PoweredbyProtein

Eternal student
what are you talking about? this site is for everyone, I bet you there are registered more fans that competitive players.
Good one! Most of the people here are here to talk about gameplay, and strive to get good at the game. Not saying this site is not for everyone, but most users here are competitive.
Players that don't play a fighter mainly for gameplay just play single player, get bopped online, and then quit the game after a short while.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
Why you think he got butthurt? I read the first post and yes he can't stand people that buy the game without knowing about the char's backgrounds but he didn't start to attack people or calling names. I don't see a problem to voice his opinion, he didn't start to insult people.
When he words it like that he is making it sound like it's something that makes him really mad. Not to mention again, this is a fighting game forum...not dccomics.com If he wants to talk about comics that's cool, but to say you can't stand people who don't and still play this game that's just irrational.

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
When people like GGA 16 Bit try to talk about lore I don't give a shit about I tell them "I don't care" yet that normally will not deter them from continuing to explain what size Wonder Woman's granny panties are or why 1960's Catwoman is the best Catwoman.

I'm just trying to help man.