What's new

Why Don't You Play Street Fighter?

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
I totes play AE, I love Akuma too much to not play at least on a casual level. I'm actually probably going to take today to look into setups and shit though. Up until now I've just been playing doing shit I've seen other Akumas do lol.

d3v

SRK
There are always little combos going on, even if its just like something such as cr.MK ~ fireball. But the game has never felt like it's about big combos... we have Marvel and anime games for that. Still, there are hype moments when someone does a really big style combo that involves lots of 1-frame links.
There's always Alpha 3.

And other characters in specific games prove to be the exception to the rule.
The mechanics and depth IS where the hype comes from! Opening someone up in Street Fighter is an art form, so when people are able to footsie their way into landing a sweep or a throw, that can certainly be a hype moment depending on the situation. Sometimes the yomi and footsies required to actually land a sweep on someone can be awesome to behold.
This. At the end of the day Street Fighter is very much about Yomi. It's less about styling and more about the mindgames, like how a great player can condition his opponent to keep walking into the same crouching normal, or making an opponent jump against a fake fireball causing them to eat a DP and stuff like that. Big combos and flashiness are just the reward for good fundamentals.

pherleece

Woolay
I don't have the time to play more than 2 fighting games at a time. If I had the time I would be in there with Sagat

CamChattic

Eternal Champion of Justice
I love how Capcom head act like fundamental fighting game principles hell not even fighting games just general strategy only apply to street fighter

Minh Giang

aka ChrsitianDMG on Stream
i love SF, except 2 things: characters and their stories, they are lame as fuck.
my boys Ryu and Guile... their stories... ;____;
well, FGs always have stupid stories tho.

I really wanted to get back into it, I may try to when I get the chance. Still learning injustice atm. The footsie game in SF4 is so awesome, it's the main reason I watch it.

I don't like the diagonal input, I don't want to buy an arcade stick either. In fact, that's the reason I only play half assed NRS fighting games. :coffee:

Lord Hollow

The Sage Of Michigan.
Troll or handicapped?
Obvious troll.

Game is littered with dumb 1-frame links that even pros have trouble pulling off.

Not really. It caters in the way of the weaker player taking damage, not in the execution. The less life you have, the 'tougher" you get, so the same combo doesn't take the same amount later in the match, the fastest way to get your ultra is to get hit by your opponent, etc.

Chakk dizzle

That's baaaaane
Not really. It caters in the way of the weaker player taking damage, not in the execution. The less life you have, the 'tougher" you get, so the same combo doesn't take the same amount later in the match, the fastest way to get your ultra is to get hit by your opponent, etc.
Look I'm not trying to debate or even be a jerk, but you literally do not know what you are talking about. I had a further response but i will edit it and leave it here. You do not have an understanding of the game.

Lord Hollow

The Sage Of Michigan.
Look I'm not trying to debate or even be a jerk, but you literally do not know what you are talking about. You still have to land it. Just because you have one available does not mean you will get the chance to use it, ESPECIALLY if you are bad. So please, stop.
This isn't a debate, sir. The fact that its even programmed into the game is the catering aspect I am referring to. Of course he still has to land it, but the underlying fact it's IN there is what I don't care for.

Chakk dizzle

That's baaaaane
This isn't a debate, sir. The fact that its even programmed into the game is the catering aspect I am referring to. Of course he still has to land it, but the underlying fact it's IN there is what I don't care for.
How is this different from meter building from taking damage in EVERY fighting game? Injustice you build meter from taking damage, same in mk as well. Guess what, that leads to bigger damage as well. What you are saying does not make sense.

cause i got no fundamentals.

oh wait... i think it's more the whole Cartoon/silly characters Thing that turns me off, even though i enjoy the game, just not as much as MK (and yes... injustice, which is awesome)

CamChattic

Look I'm not trying to debate or even be a jerk, but you literally do not know what you are talking about. I had a further response but i will edit it and leave it here. You do not have an understanding of the game.
Hes talking about the Guts system you take less damage the lower your life it activates at around the 35% mark you take something like 12% less damage

so no you LITERALLY dont know what you are talking about

Can someone please help me? I have PS Plus so I figured I'd get a free copy of SSF4 AE. I downloaded that mother of a file and I like what I see. The visuals are fantastic, it looks fun and I love that there are a gazillion characters to choose from. My problem is moves that require a half circle and one move looks like a Z motion? What the hell is that? Is it Back forward back? Can this game be played with the D pad, or must you use the stick on the PS pad? I have zero experience with the Capcom fighters so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Chakk dizzle

That's baaaaane
Hes talking about the Guts system you take less damage the lower your life it activates at around the 35% mark you take something like 12% less damage

so no you LITERALLY dont know what you are talking about
He is saying that ultra becomes available from taking damage and that they are rewarded for taking damage. THAT is the point I was making. I didn't say anything about his comment regarding reduced damage. SO what is your point? You should take the time to actually read what you reply to. Anyways, unwatching this thread. Peace.

Last edited:

CamChattic

He is saying that ultra becomes available from taking damage and that they are rewarded for taking damage. THAT is the point I was making. I didn't say anything about his comment regarding reduced damage. SO what is your point? You should take the time to actually read what you reply to. Anyways, unwatching this thread. Peace.
Ok