What's new

Why Don't You Play Street Fighter?

Skkra

PSN: Skkra
Can someone please help me? I have PS Plus so I figured I'd get a free copy of SSF4 AE. I downloaded that mother of a file and I like what I see. The visuals are fantastic, it looks fun and I love that there are a gazillion characters to choose from. My problem is moves that require a half circle and one move looks like a Z motion? What the hell is that? Is it Back forward back? Can this game be played with the D pad, or must you use the stick on the PS pad? I have zero experience with the Capcom fighters so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
I cannot tell if you're trolling or not, but in case you're not:

1. Moves that require half circles are very annoying on pad. Not much else to say there.
2. The "Z" motion is a dragon punch / shoryuken motion. Tap forward, then go to down, then down-forward and a button. :r:d:qtr

Edit:
You can definitely play on a d-pad... I'd recommend that over using the PS3 stick. My wife plays exclusively on pad and with a little practice she was even able to do things like ultras (double fireball motion) in a relatively short time and with no prior fighting game experience. Just stick with it and get your muscle memory down in practice mode!

Not really. It caters in the way of the weaker player taking damage, not in the execution. The less life you have, the 'tougher" you get, so the same combo doesn't take the same amount later in the match, the fastest way to get your ultra is to get hit by your opponent, etc.
Allowing damage taken to fill a meter, and giving buffs to opponents on low health has long been a way of balancing out characters that get too much out of good momentum.

Some characters capitalize on momentum more than others-. Ultras are a way to set a threshold at which the attacker needs to change their gameplan or risking losing their lifelead by getting ultra'd.

Also, in Street Fighter, it's 100% possible to take out an opponent without allowing them to get their ultra at all, simply by ending the game with a large combo that moves past the ultra threshold. It puts more value in saving your Super Combo for a finisher instead of burning through meter recklessly and early in the game.

Lord Hollow

The Sage Of Michigan.
Allowing damage taken to fill a meter, and giving buffs to opponents on low health has long been a way of balancing out characters that get too much out of good momentum.

Some characters capitalize on momentum more than others-. Ultras are a way to set a threshold at which the attacker needs to change their gameplan or risking losing their lifelead by getting ultra'd.

Also, in Street Fighter, it's 100% possible to take out an opponent without allowing them to get their ultra at all, simply by ending the game with a large combo that moves past the ultra threshold. It puts more value in saving your Super Combo for a finisher instead of burning through meter recklessly and early in the game.
That's all true. I don't care for it in any other games, either.

cyke_out

Noob
I love SF, it was where I cut my teeth in fighting games, but I am not a fan of Street Fighter 4 at all. Alpha 2 and CvS2 are my all time favorite capcom games ever made. At the moment, I've been getting heavily back into tekken, the footsie and spacing aspect of that game shares plenty of similarities with street fighter fundamentals, which is the main reason why I enjoy the core SF game.

haketh

Noob

That's not fucking true at all, shut up.

i try to get into it but theres to many of these online players who hold themselves so high and know im not even good at the game and play lame as hell and it just turns me off the game

I cannot tell if you're trolling or not, but in case you're not:

1. Moves that require half circles are very annoying on pad. Not much else to say there.
2. The "Z" motion is a dragon punch / shoryuken motion. Tap forward, then go to down, then down-forward and a button. :r:d:qtr

Edit:
You can definitely play on a d-pad... I'd recommend that over using the PS3 stick. My wife plays exclusively on pad and with a little practice she was even able to do things like ultras (double fireball motion) in a relatively short time and with no prior fighting game experience. Just stick with it and get your muscle memory down in practice mode!
lol I swear I'm not trolling. I've only played MK. I was struggling in practice mode. I was doing fireballs but didn't know how lol, but I think I know now. I appreciate the help, thanks

Skkra

PSN: Skkra
lol I swear I'm not trolling. I've only played MK. I was struggling in practice mode. I was doing fireballs but didn't know how lol, but I think I know now. I appreciate the help, thanks
No worries. If you'd like to ask any more beginner questions feel free to PM me and I'll answer them all.

d3v

SRK
lmao that is the real question

inb4 "LOL jab cross time out is shitty scrub game" posts from people who have never played v.2013
SFxT is the most fundamentally solid of the 3 main Capcom fighters out at the moment.

I like how people complain about this as if Fatal Fury Special, Samurai Shodown and CvS2 K-Groove don't exist.
This game though.
Speaking of CvS2.

Last edited:
I play sometimes, I'm not very good but what keeps me from learning the game and getting good is the option selects I think they are pretty stupid. That and the only character that interests me in the game is Guy and maybe Yun. I like the footies of the game and pace of the game though.

187x

Noob
This is a Mortal Kombat/NRS site, and you make a post which infers that Mortal Kombat/Injustice are not real fighters that require fundamentals and skill?

Be polite.
MK9 requires fundamentals and skill. Sorry to say but the other game "Injustice" does not.

MK9 requires fundamentals and skill. Sorry to say but the other game "Injustice" does not.
Yes, clearly the people winning tournaments in Injustice are not doing so because of skill. They frequently lose to unskilled players- because skill is not needed to win.

PunkMafia83

PSN: YaRnToNpUnKMAFIA
long post,

1. One frame links. They are a skill in itself. You kind of have to play on stick as well I just cant play on one. SF is extremely hard to play on a pad.
2. Character design. I do not think this mentioned but the character design in sf4 is very.... bland. Everyone has several ways to get into their ultra. Most have a dragon punch. When you look at injustice and you have grundy, bane hawk girl and lex with their traits, How can you look at sf4 and think "dam that dragon punch was tight" when you can have injustice traits.
3. The company. Capcom. Capcom have awful business ethics. They have not made a good game (not just fighting games) in a LONG time. Plus their dlc policies are very questionable. One of the reasons I did not buy sfxt was because of the dlc characters that were already on the disk. Their patching is an "ultra" or "super" version of the game in which you have to pay for. Us NRS gamers get the updates for free. Thats customer service. The current injustice version took awhile to get too but we have a tight game now. No one can say other wise.
4. Marvel anyone. Thats a joke. Thats not even a fighting game lol.
However. I do like watching high level sf4. The footsie game is sometimes fantastic to behold. A recent one comes to mind was snakes eyes gief vs J Wongs Rufus at the 25th aniver, cup. One mistake at it was game over for either so fun to watch.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
I know 90% of what's going on in most SF games and their derivatives, I guess it's just that the controls have always felt really counter-productive to me, without any disrespect to Capcom enthusiasts. I used to think it might have just been SF fundamentals in general that I was slacking on, so I even tried using the alternative controls in IGAU, and yet I was still pringles lol.

And when I say this, no, I'm not complaining about charge characters.