What's new

Question Why Does Bane Have To Be One Of The Worst?

RYX

BIG PUSHER
I cannot see how Bane is low tier honestly. He blows up some really strong characters like KF and lantern really hard.

Here's what I think is good about him and how these strong points apply in matches.

1. Obscene movement. Possibly the best movement in the game. Bane has good walking and dashing speed. So all you have to do is block one projectile and you push the space forward. Oftentimes when you pushforward people jump back/up or forward for their life because they can't do ANYTHING against dash up venomed double uppers or charge.

2. Very strong anti-airs. venomed rising attack is a highly consistent anti-air. No character's jump can beat it. It also provides a very strong knockdown which people cannot backdash out of because of D.1 setplay. If we MB it, they instantly go to corner. Corner is death.

On wakeup, rising venom also makes crossups moot.

Even without venom rising, bane has an airgrab thats fairly consistent, and a D2 that works well against most of the cast. Moreover this normal has been buffed.

Against footdives and what not, jump up/back splash occupies the space in the air for a good period of time...

3. Bane has incredible wakeup. Really obsceeeene wakeup. the wakeup game vs bane is one-of-a-kind. I feel no need to elaborate further on this. done right, i personally think it is the death of the opponent. I should mention however that a properly timed D1 is UNBACKDASHABLE, and un MB B3/F3 armourable; it will also be option selected.

4. His mid-screen set play is incredible. D1, dash 113, blocked double upper and blocked charge set up very good situations where we can hit buttons again, bait for jump, or push further if we know the opponent wants to jump back.

5. His anti-environment is very strong, because he can charge through everything, and absorb and then punish people. rising venom against environment users is also powerful on wakeup. If you do it right people DIE.

6. Level 3 venom charge and F[2] dash cancel play is sick when Bane has level 3 because it is completely unarmourable... and with the coming patch, charge cannot be parried ( i personally think this is stupid and simply too much).

7. His resets :/ Charge -- super is stupid

8. One must also not forget that his environment abilities are very interesting and strong. If you do a level 3 venomed backbreaker at the left of metro or wayne manor, and then throw them OUT of the corner, then send the car on them with level 3... thats a lot of damage.
He blows Frost and Lantern up? Those characters BODY him.

On wakeup, you could just not cross him up and enjoy that -31 uppercut.

He has oki, and? You can still push block to get him out of your face provided he didn't armor through it. How is this even unfair?

Hi movement is terrible, simple as this.

You sound so misinformed about Bane I might vomit.

Sao87

@thedigitaldojo
People...... Are....... Annoyed....... With....... The....... Way....... You...... Type....... Because......... We........ Read........ It......... Like........ This......

masuhdunkillyall

Aht Aht Aht!
I cannot see how Bane is low tier honestly. He blows up some really strong characters like KF and lantern really hard.

Here's what I think is good about him and how these strong points apply in matches.

1. Obscene movement. Possibly the best movement in the game. Bane has good walking and dashing speed. So all you have to do is block one projectile and you push the space forward. Oftentimes when you pushforward people jump back/up or forward for their life because they can't do ANYTHING against dash up venomed double uppers or charge.

2. Very strong anti-airs. venomed rising attack is a highly consistent anti-air. No character's jump can beat it. It also provides a very strong knockdown which people cannot backdash out of because of D.1 setplay. If we MB it, they instantly go to corner. Corner is death.

On wakeup, rising venom also makes crossups moot.

Even without venom rising, bane has an airgrab thats fairly consistent, and a D2 that works well against most of the cast. Moreover this normal has been buffed.

Against footdives and what not, jump up/back splash occupies the space in the air for a good period of time...

3. Bane has incredible wakeup. Really obsceeeene wakeup. the wakeup game vs bane is one-of-a-kind. I feel no need to elaborate further on this. done right, i personally think it is the death of the opponent. I should mention however that a properly timed D1 is UNBACKDASHABLE, and un MB B3/F3 armourable; it will also be option selected.

4. His mid-screen set play is incredible. D1, dash 113, blocked double upper and blocked charge set up very good situations where we can hit buttons again, bait for jump, or push further if we know the opponent wants to jump back.

5. His anti-environment is very strong, because he can charge through everything, and absorb and then punish people. rising venom against environment users is also powerful on wakeup. If you do it right people DIE.

6. Level 3 venom charge and F[2] dash cancel play is sick when Bane has level 3 because it is completely unarmourable... and with the coming patch, charge cannot be parried ( i personally think this is stupid and simply too much).

7. His resets :/ Charge -- super is stupid

8. One must also not forget that his environment abilities are very interesting and strong. If you do a level 3 venomed backbreaker at the left of metro or wayne manor, and then throw them OUT of the corner, then send the car on them with level 3... thats a lot of damage.
You've gotta be playing some terrible GL players if you think Bane blows green lantern up. He has huge problems against the top/high tiers

I'm just going to type straight from my mind so pardon any convolutions.

I'd like to respond to each disagreement but I don't have much time so I'd only respond to only one, and the others if i am somewhat encouraged. I'd however like to defend the position that I'm LEAST confident about, that Bane blows up KF, and try to make Ryx eat back his vomit.

I will only try. And all my posts, right or wrong, have been earnest. I only wished to be positive. sorry if i cheesed some of you out and induced violent bouts of vomit. If howeever, my defense still induces vomit, you WILL point out why for my own good, and yours, because constant regurgitation is truly not good for you.

Before I begin however, I acknowledge my limitations -- I play a small pool of players in Singapore, so i'd probably know less than you guys... and arguing over the internet is always difficut -- so I'd humble myself a bit and try to accomplish something simpler; I'd try to convince that KF doesn't body Bane. Its actually O.K

To do so, i'd like to show that bane has good options in 3 broad areas of play: wakeup, neutral and defense.

Wakeup
Lets take post press/double punch as examples. These are the most common knockdowns.

If Bane does a properly timed D1 into venomed doubles

1) D1 stops backdash
2) The venomed doubles option selects and beats the slide
3) The D1 hits so meaty that F3 and B3 MB cannot even activate...
4) PArry doesn't work for whatever reason

This is just the beginning. Bane can D1 into press again and so on. Once this set conditions frost to block, bane can even go for a slightly delayed press to send her down to the ground again. The delay involved is imperceptible.

I might be missing something and I'd love it if you could point it out to me but from the way I see it the options are really in Bane's favour. KF is easily forced to just block...

Neutral

KF cannot jump into bane. no one can when he has venom. And even without venom air grab is easy.

After a blocked slide, if bane does 113, KF cannot do MB F3/B3 (it would get stuffed out by the second hit), backdash or press anything. KF can only parry. In that case, bane mixes up with vertical jump splash, which beats everything I've mentioned before except backdash.

KF has muti hit projectiles that make charge useless. Charge is a really bad idea in this matchup because for now, they can be easily parried. So really, don't use charge. If Bane blocks one projectile from KF, dash in to block is safe. Furthermore, blocked projectile, into dash in venom-ed doubles is near unstoppable.

Near end-game, Bane can react to projectiles and super through the bloody thing with level 3 (a normal reaction to most projectiles actually).

Defense

KF has to worry about bane when she does her 50/50 bs because he can pump venom up and do doubles/rising etc and that dilutes her options. Yes she can still play but very few characters would force her to accommodate armoured options like bane...

No crossups as mentioned. So if KF has to move up for an overhead/slide mixup, bane can just do venomed doubles, which really isn't too shabby on wakeup, especially when there is wakeup invincibility + venom.

Thank you.

Maybe my local KF sucks. totally possible. Maybe i suck. more likely. But i hope the empirical data above would interest slightly. I'm pretty damned sure about teh results i got in the lab and they work in matches.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
He blows Frost and Lantern up? Those characters BODY him.

On wakeup, you could just not cross him up and enjoy that -31 uppercut.

He has oki, and? You can still push block to get him out of your face provided he didn't armor through it. How is this even unfair?

Hi movement is terrible, simple as this.

You sound so misinformed about Bane I might vomit.
KF, not so sure. GL certainly does not win. In fact, at best, GL goes even.

PND_Mustard care to chime in?

And if you think Bane's mobility sucks, compare his dashes to the majority of the cast. You will realize that's not true.

RYX

BIG PUSHER
KF likely beats him. GL certainly does not. In fact, at best, GL goes even.
Mini gun stops any kind of approach. How is this even

I can see it being a harsh 6-4 but GL can make him go through shit to get in. On the flip side Bane rapes him up close and GL can't really pressure him with b.1 or trait cancel pressure. However mini gun is a huge problem since Bane can do nothing about it.

THTB

Mini gun stops any kind of approach. How is this even

I can see it being a harsh 6-4 but GL can make him go through shit to get in. On the flip side Bane rapes him up close and GL can't really pressure him with b.1 or trait cancel pressure. However mini gun is a huge problem since Bane can do nothing about it.
Wrong. Trait minigun is problematic. Regular minigun is blah vs Bane. If you do not hit with minigun, prepare to block. Cuz you're not doing shit other than that.

RYX

BIG PUSHER
Wrong. Trait minigun is problematic. Regular minigun is blah vs Bane. If you do not hit with minigun, prepare to block. Cuz you're not doing shit other than that.
You can MB f.3, he has to respect the MB gun before coming in. Air zoning is a problem, his MB projectile blows up dash/charge(armor in general), and he can do a block string into minigun to push Bane away and keep him from starting pressure.

Like I said, Bane dominates the close up game pretty much entirely while he has meter/venom to armor on. But I don't see this as better than disadvantage for Bane.

Add that GL suffers not at all from activating trait and doing his mini gun, whereas if he catches Bane on debuff, it's a big chunk of life for him.

PND_Mustard

"More stealthful than the night"
Premium Supporter
Care to explain?
GL needs meter to keep Bane out, regular chaingun is not an issue as it can be easily reaction punished by a delayed raging charge, regular rocket is crouchable and GL cannot enhance it because he NEEDS MB chaingun to keep Bane away, he lives and dies by MB chaingun in this MU.

this means that GL will always have very little meter, which in turn almost guarantees Bane a free wager for health back, Bane doesn't need to use any meter at all unless you're powering up charges or setting up something meaty in the corner with MB double punch.

but the main meat and potatoes of this for Bane comes from the fact GL has an awful backdash and just as bad wakeup attacks. if Bane is on venom (which he will be as GL can't stop it) he can't wakeup at any point to beat a command grab, and his backdash only works from certain ranges after a raging charge, other than that he is forced to guess in a worse way than other characters, as he has less ways to escape.

to top it all off GL can't chip you from fullscreen even with trait, which means GL can never be fullscreen away from you, and he must come to closer distances than the other zoners that Bane struggles against to even chip you, which means Bane is always one dash away from being in GL's face.

the only reason we consider it a 6-4 Bane and not any worse, is because MB chain gun does a monstrous amount of damage. a trait MB chaingun does like 25%, which is near enough the same amount as our level 3 charge MB. throw debuff onto that and it gets nasty.

In fact KF feels like Green Lantern but no minigun. She also hurts a lot more too but playing point blank with bane is always challenging.

Oh yes, and also about GL, once you get a lead, just sit back and chill. Lantern's gonna have a hell of a time coming in.

D_Matt_Ma

Sheeva isn't Goro's wife. Goro is her husband.
Disagree with the 6-4. It should be a 5-5. Bane does dominate him like no other on knockdowns. But it's pretty hard to get that knockdown if he plays lame. 5-5, just like HG. You live and die by the knockdown as much as GL MB chain gun or HG staying in the air.

BigC

I'm great in my world.
You've gotta be playing some terrible GL players if you think Bane blows green lantern up. He has huge problems against the top high tiers
Way to true. I feel the only high tiers bane can even with are Scorp and sometimes Aqua, both depending on the player. Other than that pretty much Tier spots 1-8 will really force Banes to play at the top level.

LMAO at people saying he beats Green Lantern. The minigun is a major problem. It doesn;t even count as a projectile, so not even level 3 can run through it. People say GL needs meter to win, well, meter is built rather easily in this game, and Green Lantern can build meter easy against bane. The same could be said for other characters about meter. The only chance Bane has against Green Lantern is on a knockdown, but chasing after him and knocking him down is not a simple task, you will have to sift through the barage of shit Green Lantern throws at you. The matchup is awful.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
LMAO at people saying he beats Green Lantern. The minigun is a major problem. It doesn;t even count as a projectile, so not even level 3 can run through it. People say GL needs meter to win, well, meter is built rather easily in this game, and Green Lantern can build meter easy against bane. The same could be said for other characters about meter. The only chance Bane has against Green Lantern is on a knockdown, but chasing after him and knocking him down is not a simple task, you will have to sift through the barage of shit Green Lantern throws at you. The matchup is awful.

I trust Mustard more than you, soooooo thats all nice and whatnot but when your entire gameplan falls under one since easily avoidable or baitable attack with the rest of your kit falling apart where we are at our strongest... Well lets just say its not really a stretch to assume that we can get in at least once.

I trust Mustard more than you, soooooo thats all nice and whatnot but when your entire gameplan falls under one since easily avoidable or baitable attack with the rest of your kit falling apart where we are at our strongest... Well lets just say its not really a stretch to assume that we can get in at least once.
Obviously my entire gameplan does not revolve around that one single move. It can be baited and you can get in on a read but to deny that the minigun isn't a problem for Bane is delusional.

THTB

Obviously my entire gameplan does not revolve around that one single move. It can be baited and you can get in on a read but to deny that the minigun isn't a problem for Bane is delusional.
It is a problem if name Bane doesn't know what's up.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Its a problem if you are sitting at a less than optimal range, sure. You aren't going to be spending that much time out there, and we can do more once we get in than he can do the entire time of keeping us out. I tested out all of his wake-ups and a MB f.3 beats every single one of them.

Sitting on +9 on block as well as being an overhead, on account of our low starters and the b.23 / d.2 d.2 fast stands, you really can't afford to guess wrong since every since incorrect guess is in the neighborhood of 40% damage and another situation where you are forced to guess. This only gets worse once you are in the corner. And you are right, the meter gain is pretty generous. Hence us being able to basically run a train on GL for free since we will almost always have enough meter for MB f.3.