What's new

Question Why do people struggle with Aquaman?

Ermaculate_Slim

We are Many but we didnt make MK11 not one
The only Aquaman thats ever blown me up was Tom.If you know the MU well enough it can be very much winnable he's very good yes but unbeatable no

Galactic Geek

Losing is learning; winning is succeeding.
My 2 mains (1 of which is Grundy & the other of which is Lex) have both been beating AM's on a regular basis in online matchmaking. I'd love to fight some of you guys, because most of the AM's I fight are incredibly predictable. Unfortunately, I'm on Xbox Live (my GT is the same as my username on here).

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
That's a two way mind game, sir.
not really..... i can always block after a WCC .... which means i'll never take a launch (unless i block wrong of course)... or I can WCC into WCC.....

But i'm only going to do it on your button presses..... not when we are both just standing there.

Again... WC (the throw) is rarely used anymore.

FrozenG3oX

<3 gimmicks
not really..... i can always block after a WCC .... which means i'll never take a launch (unless i block wrong of course)... or I can WCC into WCC.....

But i'm only going to do it on your button presses..... not when we are both just standing there.

Again... WC (the throw) is rarely used anymore.
lets say you WC and I water shield. I can read you're gonna cancel it and backdash or just MB it and be at adv. Or I'll just stay there and wait for you to WC into my shield and punish you. Or you make the right read and blow me up

FrozenG3oX

<3 gimmicks
I hope this character burns in hell

If u lose to me w Aquaman you're free as balls

I do not care if I hurt feelings, if I did trait yourself out of your emo ness
Zod is better, I don't care what anyone says...i don't hate any char in this game, why should I ? cause I don't always win against everyone ? I'm free to a good Nightwing, yet I love him in general.

ZigZag

That Welsh Guy
I don't struggle with aquaman,I find he has a fair amount of easily punishble moves and he's not much guess work..

So this thread sums up like this:

Aquaman is mid tier.

Tom Brady is amazing.

This could have been a status update.
There are a lot of threads that could have been status updates, this one not being one of them. I think its a legit discussion. If anything it could have been in grundy or aquaman matchup discussion.

RunwayMafia

Shoot them. Shoot them all.
Theo's the only Aquman I've played and he had a "unique" play style. ;) Can I get some Aquaman mains to add me on PSN? I admittedly don't know this MU all that well and would like to see what all the hullabaloo is about.

Not playing Tyrant and coming to a conclusion on Grundy's tier list placement is as irrelevant as not playing me and coming to a conclusion on how good Superman is as a zoner.
and this I agree with.. However, its the same for Aquaman and myself. The problem is that anyone off the street who picks up Aquaman is suddenly the end all be all and the standard on his tier placement.

NightwingDayZero

Truth, justice and the American way.
all I hear these days is how Aquaman owns everyone in this game...I don't get it.

His even or problematic MUs from what I read and hear:
Grundy beats him 7-3 imo (My main)
Black Adam beats him pretty bad
HG beats him
GL might beat him
Nightwing might beat him
MMH probably beats him
Are there more? Are there less?

Everyone else he probably beats or goes even with. This doesn't seem that bad to me. I'm not saying he isn't good but what I am saying is that Tom Brady is right.

-His mixups are not really mixups
-His specials are not really safe at all
-He loses to characters like Grundy, BA, HG, and NW.

This doesn't sound like a top 3 character to me. Can someone explain? I would love to play some top Aquaman players to be shown why I am wrong. No hostility here...I just don't get it.

All I hear these days is how Superman owns everyone in the game...I don't get it.

Black Adam beats him 6-4 IMO
HG beats him
Batman beats him
Cyborg might beat him
MMH probably beats him

Everyone else he probably beats or goes even with. This doesn't seem bad to me. I'm not saying he isn't good, but what I am saying is that KDZ is right.

-He loses to characters like Hawkgirl, Cyborg, Batman and Black Adam

This doesn't sound like a top 3 character to me. Can someone explain? I would love to play some top Superman players to be shown why I am wrong. No hostility here...I just don't get it.

I'm not trolling here, but the downplaying you're doing is incredible and the only way I could communicate that without being subjective or offensive - is by putting it up to a mirror. I said this could have been a status update, and some users might be inclined to disagree - so to humor them, allow us to explore:

-Unsafe options aren't bad options. Just because something is unsafe does not mean it is any less effective, especially when Aquaman's trait works to make many of his tools unpunishable. Should Batgirl's smoke bomb be safe? Fuck no. But that doesn't mean it's any less of a tool.

-Human reaction speed is at best, 19 frames. That's 1/3rd of a second. Fireballs in street fighter come out at average of 13 frames. If our reaction speeds were any better - there wouldn't be any such thing as a "fireball game" in fighting games. Trident scoop is 15 frames with incredible range. Is it unsafe? Yes. But that shit is real. Not that he needs mixups to do damage anyways - considering MB trident rush does effective chip damage and builds enough meter for it to be a constant threat (in specific MUs of course).

-Losing to characters one might consider lesser tier doesn't make that character any less capable against the rest of the cast. Balrog is hard countered by fucking Hakan of all characters. Bad matchups are a thing and that shit is real.

-Tom Brady isn't the only real Aquaman. With all due respect to Tom - Riyo, Flawedzilla and Michaelangelo (who quit practicing almost completely) are all very capable Aquaman players who have displayed his effectiveness.

all I hear these days is how Aquaman owns everyone in this game...I don't get it.

Grundy beats him 7-3 imo (My main)
Black Adam beats him pretty bad
HG beats him
GL might beat him
Nightwing might beat him
MMH probably beats him

Everyone else he probably beats or goes even with. This doesn't seem that bad to me. I'm not saying he isn't good but what I am saying is that Tom Brady is right.

-He loses to characters like Grundy, BA, HG, and NW.

This doesn't sound like a top 3 character to me. Can someone explain? I would love to play some top Aquaman players to be shown why I am wrong. No hostility here...I just don't get it.

i'll attest to mmh beating him, he's still amazing

black adam changed after the patch, reversal lightning changed because of hitbox