What's new

Question Why do people struggle with Aquaman?

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
all I hear these days is how Aquaman owns everyone in this game...I don't get it.

His even or problematic MUs from what I read and hear:
Grundy beats him 7-3 imo (My main)
Black Adam beats him pretty bad
HG beats him
GL might beat him
Nightwing might beat him
MMH probably beats him
Are there more? Are there less?

Everyone else he probably beats or goes even with. This doesn't seem that bad to me. I'm not saying he isn't good but what I am saying is that Tom Brady is right.

-His mixups are not really mixups
-His specials are not really safe at all
-He loses to characters like Grundy, BA, HG, and NW.

This doesn't sound like a top 3 character to me. Can someone explain? I would love to play some top Aquaman players to be shown why I am wrong. No hostility here...I just don't get it.

RYX

BIG PUSHER
Top 3 is doubtful but he's top 5 to me. He is just too good at the fundamental level not to be in my opinion. An amazing defensive game goes a LONG way in this game.

all I hear these days is how Aquaman owns everyone in this game...I don't get it.

HG beats him
GL might beat him
Nightwing might beat him
MMH probably beats him

Everyone else he probably beats or goes even with. This doesn't seem that bad to me. I'm not saying he isn't good but what I am saying is that Tom Brady is right.

This doesn't sound like a top 3 character to me. Can someone explain? I would love to play some top Aquaman players to be shown why I am wrong. No hostility here...I just don't get it.

We need to play then sir and you will see...

The issue isnt Aquaman when I play ppl.. its that My Aquaman is mainly based on making a lot of right reads and I do that well. Take the ability I had to make GREAT guesses using SZ and then throw in Aquaman's tools and damage.

Also.. jf FTD on wake up is a MUST and at this point no one besides myself is 99.9% on it.

Smarrgasm

What's a Smarrgasm?
I havent played it after the patch fully yet, but i dont think Adam beats him anymore. 5-5 or 6-4 Aquaman could be the number but i still need to play it.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
We need to play then sir and you will see...

The issue isnt Aquaman when I play ppl.. its that My Aquaman is mainly based on making a lot of right reads and I do that well. Take the ability I had to make GREAT guesses using SZ and then throw in Aquaman's tools and damage.

Also.. jf FTD on wake up is a MUST and at this point no one besides myself is 99.9% on it.
remember the days when I thought NW beat SZ 7-3?

I agree with LOTF here in the way of the generic Aquaman of "play good footsies and aa/whiff punish" wont work.. or "use 50/50s that arent really 50/50s and jump in a lot to start offense" also wont work...

You can only "Aquaman" your way through a few character. The characters LOTF mentioned requires you to work for Aquaman, rather then letteing Aquaman work for you.

To have Aquaman look like a top 3 character requires A LOT of guessing. The fact that most Aquaman players stray away from this style is the issue.

FrozenG3oX

<3 gimmicks

HG beats him
GL might beat him
Nightwing might beat him
MMH probably beats him

Since when does grundy beat Aquaman ? and THAT BAD ?!

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
Any of you Grundy's want to play my Aquaman?

PSN: Name818

I'd love to see a good Grundy that can beat me. Not trying to be cocky, just want a Grundy main to show me the match up I've never seen. I like surprises and challenges.

YOMI DJT

LIn Kuei Champion
If you don't know the aqua matchup you will struggle bro. He outfootsies a lot of the cast.
water shield is a good tool that aqua players don't use enough imo.
Not a lot of chars can zone him
one of the best aas.
you can expose aqua on wakeup.
Idk he isn't overrated to me.

At highest lvl, aqua player is using from the deep as full screen footsie. Blowing you up with ftd on wakeup and using it for jump backs etc. An aqua reacting seems top 3 to me. Who knows still young game.

Tyrant certainly did make Aquaman look at least 7-3 Grundy's favor at WNF.

Tom Brady's Aquaman is better than Theo's but I don't think that really changes the matchup number. It only changes the Tom Brady vs Grundy MU.

Theoretically, a great player can make any 3-7 matchup look 5-5 if he grinds the matchup enough and finds great counter techs + is good at downloading/conditioning and making great reads. But if we take player matchup grinding into account, then every character goes even with everyone and there is no bad matchup in the game.