What's new

Tech - Cryomancer Why Cryomancer Sub Zero is NOT Top 5.

Wazminator

twitch.tv/Wazminator
So I've been seeing a ton of talk from a lot of respectable players lately on Twitter/Twitch/TYM about the recently buffed Cryomancer Sub Zero. Australia has known a lot about this variation as one of our top players @Gilbagz has been maining it since day one.

While I obviously dont think Cryo is bad, I do definitely feel like people are having a knee jerk reaction to it. Everyone is going crazy about how many options he has to tick throw, and due to that i have put together a video about how they are not as strong as many think.

How the Option Select works:
The main strings Sub Zero is going to tick throw you off of are F12, F33, B3 and possibly even s1. While they all seem like powerful tools, this is not necessarily the case, the command grab being 16 frames and a HIGH gives you the option to be able to block the full string and duck the command grab with the same block timing.

The way this works is you have to let go of block between the first and 2nd hit of the tick throw string, for example, f12 tick throw would work like this.

F122 < let go of block instantly after the second hit and then press block again as soon as the last hit of the string would connect, there is a 3f window through most of his tick throws and it is relatively easy with some practice to avoid all of his tick throws.

It's the same principle for all of his strings in to command grab but obviously the timing will be different, just practice your timing on the strings and you'll be punishing those tick throws in no time.

In Depth Explanation from @Gilbagz
The command grab always hits at minimum 3f after the frame trap
So for example
f12 cmd grab hits 3f after f122 would hit
So you let go of block just as f12(2) would hit intentionally. Because we're human and wont time it properly, you'll naturally let go of block late. This will let you block f122 and neutral duck the command throw for a full combo.
This applies to all of his tick throws:
s1 cmd grab hits 5f after 1,2, s2 cmd grab hits 3f after 2,4, f4 2 cmd grab hits 3f after f42 1+3, b3 cmd grab hits 3f after b33

How this affects Cryomancer:
Being able to OS all of his tick throws forces the player to completely stop using them, while this does open up some stagger potential, its not a huge deal as Cryomancer's main stagger game is revolved around f12 which is now -7.

Applying this OS to your game will completely change the way you look at Cryo and will force the opponent to rely only on his neutral, which is now also not that good (see below)

Cryomancer's Neutral since the patch:
Before the patch Cryomancer's neutral game was based around using F4 combined with an OS found by @Gilbagz early in MKX's life, this allowed him to use F4 in the neutral to whiff punish for high damage by confirming into cold blooded for a full combo.

Using F4 in neutral is not as strong anymore due to having to confirm in to EX ice ball to get any real damage off of a whiff punish.

Cryomancer now not being able to cancel his F42 into cold blooded also hurts his footsie game a tonne and has turned the character into more of a pure mixup character rather than a footsie based/neutral character like he was before this patch was released.

Video demonstration of the Option Selects for anyone who is unsure of how it works

Perhaps i'm missing something? If so, i'd love to have a discussion about it. Let me know what you guys think/how viable this is.

@YOMI REO @Pig Of The Hut @SonicFox5000 @PND_Ketchup @PND_Mustard @A F0xy Grampa

Last edited:

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
So it works the same way you would OS against Erron Black's 21122 tick throw? Neat! The only problem with this is that Sub Zero can do, for example, F12 then if he thinks you're going to option select, Ex Ice Shatter since it's 15 frames and it would blow up the OS I think. Luckily it's unsafe but at the end of the day you're still guessing.

Ontop of that, after hammer in the corner you can do raw command grab, B3 or B2 so it's still a really power tool. I like the OS though, nice that people lab things :)

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
One more thing lol. Once people learn to fuzzy this, Cryomancer players will start to use ex ice burst instead of grab cancels to blow up the neutral ducking. But that can still be avoided if you practice backdashing (need to double check on this actually) instead of neutral ducking.

Last edited:

Lokheit

Noob
In the Sonic vs Foxy set you could see Foxy saw the ticks comming from a mile away and jumping back to evade most of his options.

Cryo got negative on many of his standard oki strings pre-patch and is now very unsafe in most of his options, the offense increased, but the risks did too and he can be OS on defense. The neutral game is still low tier. He is dangerous but he's probably even SZ 3rd variation.

Everyone saw Sonic vs REO (who was using a bad character) and went nuts without thinking that Sonic beat pre-patch Demolition Sonya with Gunslinger smh.

He is good, but faaaaaaaar from top tier.

Gilbagz

Joker here~
To explain the fuzzy guard properly

The command grab always hits at minimum 3f after the frame trap
So for example
f12 cmd grab hits 3f after f122 would hit
So you let go of block just as f12(2) would hit intentionally. Because we're human and wont time it properly, you'll naturally let go of block late. This will let you block f122 and neutral duck the command throw for a full combo.
This applies to literally all of his tick throws
1 cmd grab hits 5f after 1,2
2 cmd grab hits 3f after 2,4
f4 2 cmd grab hits 3f after f42 1+3
b3 cmd grab htis 3f after b33

I have recorded all of these and counted the frames to check.

Now this isnt the end all be all obviously because if you focus on fuzzying, the cryo player gains access to stagger strings again. But the point is, this is a high risk mix up. Cmd grab will give 13% on hit, and 27% for a bar.
If you neutral duck the cmd grab, you get your highest damage punish.

I'm aware the riskreward is skewed for other cmd grabs too, HOWEVER, they arent highs (bar erron black). So you cant safely. You'd need to OS njp which risks getting blown up by a special cancel.

The above fuzzies are completely safe if you lab the timings.

You wont 100% hit the fuzzy in a tournament setting, but every time you do, you will punish HARD.
It just takes practice. You should be able to hit it with 90% consistency with practice.

@Wazminator already has decent consistency with it.

Gilbagz

Joker here~
One more thing lol. Once people learn to fuzzy this, Cryomancer players will start to use ex ice burst instead of grab cancels to blow up the neutral ducking. But that can still be avoided if you practice backdashing instead of neutral ducking.
Nah the OS covers this. The ex ice burst is faster than the strings, its even easier to fuzzy.
Edit: Just retested, the ex burst hits 1f later it looks. I'll test all the strings to see.

CMD grab is still good as neutral mix tool, combined with the same jump.

But the ticks are gimmicky and wont net you wins consistently.

Also the f4 thing I may have blown out of proportion @Wazminator. Its not as bad as i initially though. Really just need to grind the new confirm. Still sucks that is lose 10% on a whiff punish now though.
F4 ice ball into optimal does the exact same damage as f42 ex ice ball. The inability to use cold blooded hurts his whiff punish potential, but i'm probs just going to have to suck it up and play with it. Still crying though lol.

Last edited:

Braindead

Nah the OS covers this. The ex ice burst is faster than the strings, its even easier to fuzzy.

CMD grab is still good as neutral mix tool, combined with the same jump.

But the ticks are gimmicky and wont net you wins consistently.
GG

Gilbagz

Joker here~
Actually my bad just recounted frames
The ex burst hits 1f later compared to most frame traps, so the fuzzy windows becomes 2f instead.

Tested
b3 ex burst hits 2f before the tick
f12 ex burst hits 1f before the tick
1 ex burst hits 2f before the tick
2 burst hits 2f before the tick
f42 ex burst hits 1f before the tick

I was wrong my bad. Ex burst looks to help a tonne for f12 and f42. Which are the problem more risky strings, helps us reduce risk while giving us a decent frame trap.

Last edited:

shura30

Shura
NO
we can't let stuff like this again in the game
we had tarkatan with the same identical problem, yes, there's OS and ways around it
but we waited almost a whole year just to swap alien with subzero, this is dumb

all of this might work with a -10 ice burst so there's something close to a risk/reward

SHAOLIN

内部冲突
NO
we had tarkatan with the same identical problem, yes, there's OS and ways around it

all of this might work with a -10 ice burst so there's something close to a risk/reward
Dude, just go practice your defensive options against Cryo. You'll be fine.

Lokheit

Noob
NO

Are you really trying to compare them? As in, Cryo full meterless combo punishable out of an OS tick that needs a bar to be extended on a character with low tier crappy neutral to the overwhelming monstruosity that pre-patch Tarkatan was with the rekkas and the long ranged attacks with no hurtbox? Not even remotely close.

He got many offensive options and is very dangerous when he gets in with momentum, but comparing him to pre-patch Tarkatan isn't serious.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Man when the dust settles in a couple of weeks, people are in for a biiiiiiiiiiiig surprise with GM lol.

I give it 2-4 weeks before the bitching infests TYM about the clone.
No threat of launching armor to stop from clone cancels

His bad matchups nerfed

Has access to two brand new variations to back him up

Rip Jax and rip Reptile even worse lmao nice knowing them

Reactions: GAV

Lokheit

Noob

His bad matchups nerfed

Don't forget faster D1 and F1 making his corner combos kindergarten mode lol

Reactions: GAV

Braindead

His bad matchups nerfed

Reptiles say then can compete with GM in the zoning wars after the spit buff. Gotta see how that plays out.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
I maintain that Cryo is in a good place now and offers something that's actually complimentary to Sub. I just fear Sonic's potential success with it is going to get the variation knee jerk nerfed. Let's not forget every character he's had under his wing in tournament setting have all been nerfed at some point or another.

(and for those who think it's because the characters themselves were always too good, that list includes mid-2015 Kitana)