What's new

Why are NRS games looked down upon by high level FGC players?

Kenshi-Keanu-Kool

D1 mashing is the tactic when skill fails !
Corny animations, akward art design and stiff gameplay is what is most disliked about "recent" NRS games. And for long time fans of the series, the story is another hard one to swallow. Special forces bs, no love for classic characters, alot of what inspired MK back in the days is now getting ignored by NRS.

MK9 started the reboot, unfortunatly. But besides the story, it was one of their best recent games. The roster, stages, Tag battle and gameplay (which allowed players to implement alot of creativity) made it alot of fun to play. NRS's cornyness was less in the foreground bc they used alot of classic GFX. Imo it went downhill after Mk9
Agree on most of it

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
NRS doesnt have corny animations lol, they're pretty good actually. Its midway during the 3d era that had weird looking animations.

I personally dislike the glorified SF games because its just simple stuff like trying to land a d1 or d3 or a d4 into a 3 string combo or ultra that does like 30% damage.
edit: lmao just realised that this is an old thread and that i already flamed you.

Last edited:

MKF30

That guys an idiot. He hates injustice as well yet ignores sfs unrealistic proportions. He likes to bitch over anything and most of his reasons are opinion.

A better example and comparison. MKs looks way better honestly, dont even get me started on the disproportionate bodies on sf characters.

MKF30

Watching through the video with an open mind, he actually has so good points on the animations in past NRS games, because they did indeed look janky and odd. However, I personally feel MK11 is a vast improvement on that department.
Past midway games I agree looked off, but I do think BRS does a much better job. The video I posted one guy who's a sf afan even admitted mk 11s were better than sf5s. If you're into that odd lanky anime blurry animation go sf. If you want a more realistic style go with mk. That guy just seems very anti nrs I dont see him making vids regarding capcom games flaws.

C-Sword

Noob
Past midway games I agree looked off, but I do think BRS does a much better job. The video I posted one guy who's a sf afan even admitted mk 11s were better than sf5s. If you're into that odd lanky anime blurry animation go sf. If you want a more realistic style go with mk. That guy just seems very anti nrs I dont see him making vids regarding capcom games flaws.

HeavyNorse

#BlackLivesMatter
That guy just seems very anti nrs
That's not really the point though. The point is to look at these things critically without the pre-judgemental rose-coloured glasses. And what I mean by this is that you should ignore what his opinions might be, and your own opinions as well, to just look at the animations as they are. It doesn't matter what he thinks of NRS games, and it shouldn't matter what we think of them either... what matters is how the animations look like.

If you were fine with how they looked before, fair enough. But I personally prefer to set a higher standard and would like NRS to push themselves to be the best they can be at this aspect as well. And as said above, I think they really did push themselves with MK11 and did a great job in comparison to past NRS games, and hopefully that will continue to be improved on. ^^

MKF30

Still looks better than random blurry effect. Look at the vid I posted jade spinning the staff vs the other chick, it looks bad compared to how jade spins it. Theres actually a jig that looks like that.

MKF30

That's not really the point though. The point is to look at these things critically without the pre-judgemental rose-coloured glasses. And what I mean by this is that you should ignore what his opinions might be, and your own opinions as well, to just look at the animations as they are. It doesn't matter what he thinks of NRS games, and it shouldn't matter what we think of them either... what matters is how the animations look like.

If you were fine with how they looked before, fair enough. But I personally prefer to set a higher standard and would like NRS to push themselves to be the best they can be at this aspect as well. And as said above, I think they really did push themselves with MK11 and did a great job in comparison to past NRS games, and hopefully that will continue to be improved on. ^^
It is though as hes going in with a biased mindset, he ripped i2 as well but again I point out he ignores sfs flaws such as sf5 being an incomplete pos...lol

I mean nothing is perfect, I pointed out some of sfs flaws I can point out more but point is hes a complainer, he offers nothing really worth my time as constructive criticism.

HeavyNorse

#BlackLivesMatter
It is though as hes going in with a biased mindset
And that's what I'm asking you to ignore. Don't listen to his opinions. Listen to his points, look at the animations, be critical.

Edit:
I know it's hard, especially when it is about something you like and someone else starts talking shit about it. It feels bad, almost personal... but it isn't. There's a valid critique behind it all that was to be addressed and considered.

MKF30

Imagine judging a game on kits d3 lol. Because it's so important. Curious how much did mix sell again? I'll wait. :cool:

And that's what I'm asking you to ignore. Don't listen to his opinions. Listen to his points, look at the animations, be critical.

Edit:
I know it's hard, especially when it is about something you like and someone else starts talking shit about it. It feels bad, almost personal... but it isn't. There's a valid critique behind it all that was to be addressed and considered.
Oh trust me I like mk but not a fan of mk x but not to trivial reasons, but gameplay. Something that actually matters or let's say is vastly more important than ones view on an animation. I would do that if he broke down every fg's flaws, that's my issue with the guy. Til he does SFs or mVC etc I take what hes with grain of salt. I see your point, I just dont agree with his especially when the games hes bashing did much better than his game worldwide. Just saying.

HeavyNorse

#BlackLivesMatter
Something that actually matters
Gameplay is of course important, but visuals such as animations and graphics are definitely important matters as well when creating a fighting game. Again, if you don't care that much about it, fair enough, but that doesn't mean it should be neglected.

Your personal issues and opinions about the guy making the video, I don't care about, as that's not what is the key focus here.
Edit: Didn't mean for that to sound harsh, as it wasn't meant like that.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
I think this thread is much ado about nothing. Most of these supposed talking points I'm seeing are PTSD from MK9 when our game really was a second-class citizen.

In 2019 much of this is no longer true. Yes, there will always be some trolls in stream chat and on Reddit, but those same dudes are bashing SF5 (just read Eventhubs), bashed Marvel, bash DBFZ, put ResidentSleeper for Tekken when it runs long, make fun of the Smash community, etc. If you listen to random stream monsters who usually have nothing positive to say about any game, that's on you.

But nowdays I see MK11 being featured as a main event at tornaments, given the stage and venue space it deserves, etc. Players like Sonic and Dragon are getting props everywhere, and lots of people are tuning in and hyping up our games.

Now it's time that we take the next step and not give a F what anybody else thinks. It's our game, the hype is ours and no one can take it away.

MKF30

Gameplay is of course important, but visuals such as animations and graphics are definitely important matters as well when creating a fighting game. Again, if you don't care that much about it, fair enough, but that doesn't mean it should be neglected.

Your personal issues and opinions about the guy making the video, I don't care about, as that's not what is the key focus here.
Edit: Didn't mean for that to sound harsh, as it wasn't meant like that.
Of course but like you said other things matter and if we take into account everything then this guy fails to acknowledge the fact that mk or nrs gsmes have other fg beat tenfold from Graphics, gameplay(depending on the title), voice acting, martial arts, the story isnt even debatable, even capcom admitted that nrs redefined the storymode in fg. Now they're all doing it, with content God knows past 3 NRA games have been filled with content even mk9 had a lot more than most fg.

I get that but how you feel about my personal issues with this guy is how I feel about this guys opinions about nrs games and those who agree with him. It's all opinion anyway. At the end of the day no fg is perfect, that's what this guy failsto see instead he focuses on just nrs games.

Last edited:

NaCl man

Welcome to Akihabara
All the discussion is comparing single title games that stay alive for years and have dedicated scenes to a scene that follows a developer no matter what they put out. A game every 2 years is no good imo. They never feel finished and die too quickly.

Last edited: