What's new

Why are NRS games looked down upon by high level FGC players?

Gaxkang

Banned
MK back in the old days weren't played for gameplay but for gore, as the gameplay was poor. Street Fighter was played for gameplay.

More recent games by MK developers tried to make the gameplay better....but still tend to stuck in things NRS doesn't change.

And yeah, lack of legacy also has things to do with it.

Technically NRS didn’t make games before MK9, that was Midway. A lot of similar people on the NRS team but yeah. And the classic 2D MK games made by Midway are largely the most respected MK games outside of the MK/NRS community. UMK3 specifically is still regarded as on of the best MK games competitively and ahead of its time. It also aged well since they used mokap and digitized actors.

The only truly bad taste in peoples mouths is the 3D MK’s. But I think that has very little to do with the lack of respect.

It mostly stems from people thinking NRS games aren’t that deep and that there’s not that much competition. And that it’s easier to be a top NRS player compared to a top (insert FG here) player. Which top players in other games have repeatedly tried to test that theory and the overwhelming majority have failed to “come in and dominate”. Since that has generally been the attitude, when the NRS community says pretty much anything back to someone claiming they will come in and dominate, they get butthurt and say we are unwelcoming, lmao.

Anyway, these days only ignorant people think it’s easy to be a top NRS player or that any top player in another game could easily come into an NRS game and dominate. We are slowly getting the respect outside of our community. I’d argue though that we don’t need their respect. They can think whatever they want. Until they prove the top NRS players aren’t that good or whatever it is they claim these days, it’s all talk.
Okay, I'll say it: I enjoyed a lot the 3d games.

It's there for nostalgic purposes only. Scorpion had his teleport in Injustice and nothing changed.

Absolutely nothing was patched or fixed. How can you be so delusional?
Nothing happened with Scorpion? I may be wrong, but I recall Scorp being insanely broken at first, nerfed to the fkin ground next.

stokedAF

casual kahnage
Nice, I want that but sadly there's no Walmart's near me the ones that had it were all sold out in NJ, but a friend of mine linked me to ways to get it online so I'll have to save for sure, they also announced they're doing TMNT 89 and TMNT Turtles In Time which I soo want too! Yeah I hear ya man lol, I don't really care much about the frame date numbers, specs etc I just focus on what's safe, what's not and that's that lol. I keep it simple yet make sure I understand. Like baseball, some people study the pitches, the match ups, stats, what the pitcher's known for, the hitter etc me? I'm just like "go up there, see the ball, hit the ball" lol
No Walmart’s near you? I didn’t think a place like that existed. Get it dude. I wasn’t expecting much for 300, I thought it was going to be a cheap piece of shit buts it’s surprisingly sturdy and fun to play. Yup lol I’m not studying frames but at least I understand now. Enough to have fun online as a basic mofo.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
No Walmart’s near you? I didn’t think a place like that existed. Get it dude. I wasn’t expecting much for 300, I thought it was going to be a cheap piece of shit buts it’s surprisingly sturdy and fun to play. Yup lol I’m not studying frames but at least I understand now. Enough to have fun online as a basic mofo.
Not really lol, the closest would be New Jersey which is about 30 minutes away at least to 40. The other place would be Long Island and screw that lol that's even farther than Jersey lol Where I live in NYC we don't have any Walmarts, in fact I don't think there's any in any borough, they proposed one few years back but got turned down. We have Targets, I've worked there even lol but no Walmarts. Yep I hear ya lol. Sometimes it's more fun to not complicate things. Know what I mean? I hope they make an arcade MK 4 at some point or we have MK 4 available to play online.

stokedAF

casual kahnage
Not really lol, the closest would be New Jersey which is about 30 minutes away at least to 40. The other place would be Long Island and screw that lol that's even farther than Jersey lol Where I live in NYC we don't have any Walmarts, in fact I don't think there's any in any borough, they proposed one few years back but got turned down. We have Targets, I've worked there even lol but no Walmarts. Yep I hear ya lol. Sometimes it's more fun to not complicate things. Know what I mean? I hope they make an arcade MK 4 at some point or we have MK 4 available to play online.
That’s cool though. I fucking hate Walmart and how they build a fortress around an area to the point it doesn’t make any sense. 3 blocks 3 Walmart’s. They kill local businesses for sure and that’s probably why they denied them. Exaaaactly. It seems like the more serious people take it the more pissed off they get lol. Mk4 is the only mk game I don’t own so I’m with you. Besides the mythologies and special forces games.

MKF30

That’s cool though. I fucking hate Walmart and how they build a fortress around an area to the point it doesn’t make any sense. 3 blocks 3 Walmart’s. They kill local businesses for sure and that’s probably why they denied them. Exaaaactly. It seems like the more serious people take it the more pissed off they get lol. Mk4 is the only mk game I don’t own so I’m with you. Besides the mythologies and special forces games.
Yeah I even own those too, they're obviously not the best MK's though I'll still play mythologies more than Special Forces lol That game is the worst MK game ever made easily lol But yeah MK 4 I'd love to see an arcade port, not sure why NRS hasn't released one yet. I play the hell out of my N64 port which is awesome! lol yeah I hear ya, Walmart is just another Kmart, Target etc but they seem to take a lot of parking spaces I've noticed.

NRS sticks to a certain development schedule. They only stick with theirs games 2 1/2 maybe 3 years.

Other fighters are fleshed out and have multiple versions that span well over 3 years.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
oh one last thing, the idea that mk9 was one patch away from being perfect is hysterical and I think you need to get your rose tinted glasses checked.
Late, but I'd like to say this is pretty correct. There were hardcoded issues that the dev team could not fix, according to them.

Character-wise, though, one patch could have fixed a lot, but it is what it is.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
NRS gets a lot of flack for MK's history usually, but "technically janky" animations and "clunky gameplay" is also a problem, which I get, given how MK can feel.

But the recent MK games have gotten so much better about it.

Vhozite

Waiting on SF6
Yeah as primarily as Street Fighter player NRS games have a reputation for jank animations. MK11 is a vast improvent but i still see the complaint a lot.

But really a lot of the "hate" comes down to MK being different. SF is the biggest 2D fighter competitively and a lot of people do not like games that stray from Capcom's traditional 2D formula. I'm talking very broadly here, but stuff like the block button and fb's not clashing. Block button was my personal hurdle. In fact their is still some things that I'm trying to get used to (33% supers with no super flash, jabs with no pushback, no combos from down pokes). I appreciate it because it's different but i don't think others do

Yall also catch flack for not supporting the games, which isn't really helped by NRS fast release cycle.

MKF30

I personally dont care what other fg fans think, none of them sell as well as mk so they're just jelly. NRS have been to evo several times. No fg is perfect I dont care which franchise it is. Ftr I'd gladly take one more patch mk 9 over mk 11 or sf 5 any day.

Last edited:
Corny animations, akward art design and stiff gameplay is what is most disliked about "recent" NRS games. And for long time fans of the series, the story is another hard one to swallow. Special forces bs, no love for classic characters, alot of what inspired MK back in the days is now getting ignored by NRS.

MK9 started the reboot, unfortunatly. But besides the story, it was one of their best recent games. The roster, stages, Tag battle and gameplay (which allowed players to implement alot of creativity) made it alot of fun to play. NRS's cornyness was less in the foreground bc they used alot of classic GFX. Imo it went downhill after Mk9

Last edited:

Kenshi-Keanu-Kool

D1 mashing is the tactic when skill fails !
I think ppl are respectful of the NRS scene and respect our top players, but there does seem to be a kind of general "mk is a more casual fighter, I'm not invested enough to practice it as one of main games for competition, the NRS scene leaves their games behind every 2 years." Vibe ya know?

Think about it. NRS games come out every other year, die after about 18 months, and then we all move on.

I think that's part if it too.
Thats not a valid argument . i said this before . The life of a fighting game has nothing to do with " HIGH EXECUTION FOOTSIE NEUTRAL SPACING BS " I noticed SF fanboys are always " hanging on that crutch " card for years , and they act like snobs most of the time . UMVC3 was broken as HELL but was fun as hell . And had like 4 years of hype . And games like Guilty Gear Blazblue Virtua Fighter that take a lot of skill no one plays them . And the irony is , this games have all the so called " HIGH LEVEL PLAYERS ask for . Mk its much easier to learn then SF , AND THE EXECUTION IS WAY HARDER , but the speed and the info you have to memorize its insane . Just look at MKX LOL 3 VARIATIONS FOR EACH CHARACTER LOL-

Kenshi-Keanu-Kool

As someone who has played all fighting games and primarily plays SF and MK/Injustice, I can tell you that the reason why NRS games doesn’t get the respect as others is for a few reasons;
1). As mentioned above, the lifespan for each game is incredibly short compared to others. I don’t know if it’s WB’s push for new games or NRS’ planned schedule of new game development, but whatever it is, they do a helluva good job at killing their own games with the predictable 2 year lifespan (or life “cycle”).

2). The brokenness of high tier characters are laughable at times, then tack on the low barrier of entry. For example, Akuma has always been top tier, but the work it takes in order for someone to be successful with the character in ANY Street Fighter is nowhere near what it takes to be good with Scorpion/Sub-Zero in MK 11, Erron Black in MK 10, Superman in Injustice 1, etc. I love playing NRS games, but I get tired of getting washed by broke ass characters that make me question “how and why did this character make it in the game?”

3). For MK, the mechanics are a turn off; having to guess which way you’re going to be thrown in order to tech, having to release block in order to tech throws, a block button (not a problem for me, but I’ve heard this complaint a lot), plus the constant D+1’s with no pushback on block or hit can be hard/annoying to deal with.

Those are some of the glaring weaknesses I can think of at the moment.
you cant compare the shit that goes on the screen in MK specials and the speed with what goes on in SF . oF COURSE YOU ARE GOING TO HAVE SOME WEIRD SHIT HAPPENING IF YOU DO a teleport and the other does it too . . SF is much slower , all characters pretty much play the same basic game . just trade a hadoken for a sonic boom . in mk the variety of specials is way bigger faster and different .
Not to mention the projectiles dont clash .

Funny how always Street Fighter is mentioned when issues for Mk are being discussed... SFV is known for its flaws, still beats MK11 in almost every aspect.

Kenshi-Keanu-Kool

Funny how always Street Fighter is mentioned when issues for Mk are being discussed... SFV is known for its flaws, still beats MK11 in almost every aspect.
lol Because SF its " and i don't know why " is " consider "the standard for " high level competitive tournaments . The execution its pretty hard , il give you that , but as for the rest .....mehhhhh ....kind boring . And please dont bring me the " footsie based spacing card play it smart card BS . umvc3 had none of that shit , and still went for 4 years and had enormous success . i guess SF IS MORE CARTOONISH , SO MAYBE MORE KIDS LIKE THAT STYLE and older guys like mk style more . But if your going to talk about execution and mechanics in whole , Guilty Gear is the most complete game in all aspects . And fun fact is ....it has no fanbase . Except jAPAN OF COURSE . tHE IRONY ---

lol Because SF its " and i don't know why " is " consider "the standard for " high level competitive tournaments . The execution its pretty hard , il give you that , but as for the rest .....mehhhhh ....kind boring . And please dont bring me the " footsie based spacing card play it smart card BS . umvc3 had none of that shit , and still went for 4 years and had enormous success . i guess SF IS MORE CARTOONISH , SO MAYBE MORE KIDS LIKE THAT STYLE and older guys like mk style more . But if your going to talk about execution and mechanics in whole , Guilty Gear is the most complete game in all aspects . And fun fact is ....it has no fanbase . Except jAPAN OF COURSE . tHE IRONY ---

Attachments

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
We were talking about this the other day in a KOTH, and I think the issue is that people just assume that MK is an easy game and that there is little skill involved. All these FGs, DBZ, SF, all the anime fighters, they're all really different from MK, but all of them involve skill and can be mastered. I just think people who never played MK see it as 'easy' when it really isn't if you dig deep.

Metin

Ermac & Smoke Main
Daigo don't like NRS games cos there is no hadouken. The player who is only playing as Ryu and Akuma, so he can Kiss my ass.

We were talking about this the other day in a KOTH, and I think the issue is that people just assume that MK is an easy game and that there is little skill involved. All these FGs, DBZ, SF, all the anime fighters, they're all really different from MK, but all of them involve skill and can be mastered. I just think people who never played MK see it as 'easy' when it really isn't if you dig deep.
Easy gameplay or not, it's not what defines a good fighting game. it's visuals, audio and mechanics aswell.

I liked playing the 2D games, visually and gameplay was fun and music was very good. I liked playing the 3D era games for the lore, konquest and unlockables. And loved playing MK9, (first game i played competetive) gameplay and visually wise. Despite its flaws i kept playing that game. And would still play it online if was possible.

Mkx i never cared about. Visually it was very unappealing and gameplay wise it felt alot stiffer even with the addition of a run button. Mk11 i tried, but it got bored and i went back to playing Tekken 7.

appo

º°˜¨EU¨˜°º
Daigo don't like NRS games cos there is no hadouken. The player who is only playing as Ryu and Akuma, so he can Kiss my ass.
game is not available in japan so no point for them to play that when there is no competition.