What's new

Question Why are all GL players hated?

Ca$hFlagg

Online » Offline
GL gets hatemail because when you lose to him you must accept that you were outplayed. Ppl don't cope with this realization well.

My 2 fav things in this thread:

1) Dude complaining about how LM+1 METER (people Always leave that out) is a combo starter that you don't have to aim...This shit ain't Call of Duty Bro!

2) Dudes complaining about seeing "the same combo"...Do yourselves a favor, look up the word, "optimization".
P.S. what changed that I now have to vary my combos to entertain the opponent I'm beating? I do have a solution for you though:
Stop getting combo'd.

B+1 is fine.
LM is fine.
Blame yourself for getting hit by them, not me.

Don't get it twisted.

NightwingDayZero

Truth, justice and the American way.
GL gets hatemail because when you lose to him you must accept that you were outplayed. Ppl don't cope with this realization well.

Why I hate GL

B1 hitbox is stupid. Hurtbox even more stupid. This 9 frame low starter beats every button that every character has free.
Air Oa's Rocket instant recovery the moment GL touches ground
j2. stuffs. fucking. everything. And has more activate frames than ANYTHING in this game.
Turbine instant recovery. The fuck this shit. Basically a full screen teleport.

Lantern's Might isn't the problem. I have no problem respecting this move. It's heavily punishable as it should be for the risk is well worth the reward in many cases. It also functions as a very good wake up.

Now let me be very clear. I don't want GL nerfed. I love that GL has all the tools he needs to control HIS fight. However, I hate GL for the same reason I hate all the other Superheroes in this game. Because every other character in the game should have been made with the same amount of bullshit tools and options. Instead we've got a game full of 7-3s matchups and unless you're Black Adam or some other "man"-tier character you're running a pocket character or losing.

Ca$hFlagg

Online » Offline
Why I hate GL

B1 hitbox is stupid. Hurtbox even more stupid. This 9 frame low starter beats every button that every character has free.
Air Oa's Rocket instant recovery the moment GL touches ground
j2. stuffs. fucking. everything. And has more activate frames than ANYTHING in this game.
Turbine instant recovery. The fuck this shit. Basically a full screen teleport.

Lantern's Might isn't the problem. I have no problem respecting this move. It's heavily punishable as it should be for the risk is well worth the reward in many cases. It also functions as a very good wake up.

Now let me be very clear. I don't want GL nerfed. I love that GL has all the tools he needs to control HIS fight. However, I hate GL for the same reason I hate all the other Superheroes in this game. Because every other character in the game should have been made with the same amount of bullshit tools and options. Instead we've got a game full of 7-3s matchups and unless you're Black Adam or some other "man"-tier character you're running a pocket character or losing.
Sorry, bro, but you need some time in the lab.

I'm not going to break down all the holes in your statement but I will say this:

If the GLs you are playing have you believing half the stuff you said they are outplaying you.

You need to re-read my post again. Spend time in the area I wrote about "coping".

Don't get it twisted.

NightwingDayZero

Truth, justice and the American way.
Sorry, bro, but you need some time in the lab.

I'm not going to break down all the holes in your statement but I will say this:

If the GLs you are playing have you believing half the stuff you said they are outplaying you.

You need to re-read my post again. Spend time in the area I wrote about "coping".

Don't get it twisted.
Humor me. Where was I wrong?

B1 is unfuckwithable by grounded opponents
J2 stuffs black Adams foot dive even if you're below BA
Oa's rocket has instant recovery the moment you hit the ground
Turbine has instant recovery

Ca$hFlagg

Online » Offline
Humor me. Where was I wrong?

B1 is unfuckwithable by grounded opponents
J2 stuffs black Adams foot dive even if you're below BA
Oa's rocket has instant recovery the moment you hit the ground
Turbine has instant recovery
Fine, lets get into it.

B+1- Neutral jump into full combo.

Black Adams dive kick has low priority. Expect it to get beaten by most or all jumping attacks. Your issue isn't specifically with GLs j2 but ALL j2s.

GLs air rocket-He is vulnerable while falling (like all other air fireballs) same goes for DS, Soops, WW, HG etc. If you let them hit the ground you missed your chance.

Turbine is negative and punishable on block.

Its a shame I had to do that. I found that all myself in the lab. Put the work in...or I guess I could play your GL matches for you?

Mr Snow

Noob
It's funny because I either get hate mail for beating someone with GL or I might lose and the person will start acting like they're god amongst fighting games because they beat a GL. My personal favorite thing to happen is when someone has a mic and they're quiet the ENTIRE fight. Something goes wrong, I drop a combo, do something stupid, get caught by something I wasn't aware I could get caught by and the person pulls out a victory after a genuinely good match then mic turns on and the most idiotic speech ever happens. Usually how I'm so free or I need to learn the game or they hope they taught me how to play right or something.

It's so bad online I tested it out, I get more games when I have a "neutral" banner than when I play a GL banner and icon. This is bullshit. I'm a HUGE GL fan. Been following everything Geoff Johns has written on the character. And I'm more or less being punished because my favorite DC character is good in this game. I play tournaments, have my fun at majors, but I'll admit I'm nothing to brag about. And NEVER in real life does anyone have the balls to bitch to my face because I used such a "cheap" character. Most I've seen is a guy who just shakes his head and walks off without a "good game" or handshake.

sgZick

Noob
I got a total of 3 hate mails for playing lantern online so far. So not to bad. I think a lot of people are frustrated against a defensice playing lantern. Online it is hard to get in and I can stuff air appoaches (LM) and ground approaches (b1) if people are careless. Online lag favours zoning > defensive play > offence. LM is heavily punishable, however it still hits a lot of people seeminly unaware online.

TheBoyBlunder

They love my Grayson
Well for me, Lantern is easy to beat since most Lantern's on PSN play the same way. If you're gonna live off B1 or Lantern's might, expect to eat at least a 30% combo all day.

Of course, when you first play the game, you gotta figure your way around the BS. Superman lasers, Deathstroke Call of Duty orgy, Batman J2 and the well known Lantern's might.

Plus, everyone can't win all the time. Losing sucks, but you shouldn't let it instill anger in you because you won't become a better player. Hatemail is pointless. It decreases confidence and character. Appreciate it if you lost a better player. If I lose to a Green Lantern player, I respect his strategy for playing a more dynamic style than living by B1 and Lantern's might.

As a GL main I make a point to mix things up every match, f2+d1 to trait lift instead of b13 trait lift. MB rocket as my starter instead of MB LM. It all plays mostly the same, but it keeps things flashy. Puts the shit back into the shit talkers' mouths.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
When a character doesn't have as steep of a learning curve as another, the next character's players are going to get salty regardless of your same amount of effort having gone into yours. I used to get extremely salty at Raiden players until I figured out the right footsies to deal with him. I got to the point of being able to shut down average Raiden players with any of the cast that has a decent d4, d1, and d3, or has an air projectile that's fast enough.

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
Apparently he is too easy to use and is considered scrubby. I don't get it either, it's pretty dumb.

Apparently you do get it... lol.

My main gripe is his B1 catching well timed backdashes. He has soo many other great tools but that bugs me the most.

The active frames on B1 are ridiculous.

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
Everyone I play seems to know how to block GL. He is def. one of the easiest characters to block in the entire game. Block low, then high or just fuzzy everything else. Don't jump in on him unless you're crossing him up, etc.

Not only that, but it's easy to abuse his poor wakeup and lack of mobility.. Vortex characters have a field day while you try to get free. And should you be up against a real zoner, they will harass you from fullscreen and throw things at you, jumping and moving backward while you try to close the gap.

All things considered, I feel like GL is one of the more balanced characters in the game. But he's amazing to play against people that don't want to block :D

You kan delay your B1.. And mid range he forces most characters to block. I definitely don't think he's one of the easiest characters to block. F3 also beats standing jabs for some reason.

His wake up isn't bad either since it's invincible and grants a full kombo on hit and also limits jump ins. Turbine also gets him out of kross ups on wake up.

He's up there with the most balanced (from the Top Tier characters).

sgZick

Noob
You kan delay your B1.. And mid range he forces most characters to block. I definitely don't think he's one of the easiest characters to block. F3 also beats standing jabs for some reason.

His wake up isn't bad either since it's invincible and grants a full kombo on hit and also limits jump ins. Turbine also gets him out of kross ups on wake up.

He's up there with the most balanced (from the Top Tier characters).
I really don't want to downplay, Lantern is great, but what wake up you have in mind that isn't bad. LM is theoretically decent, but predictable, it's negative on block and can get stuffed by a well timed cross-up jump. All other options are punishable even easier. Trying to get out of a cross-up with turbine is not really something I would recommend.

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
I really don't want to downplay, Lantern is great, but what wake up you have in mind that isn't bad. LM is theoretically decent, but predictable, it's negative on block and can get stuffed by a well timed cross-up jump. All other options are punishable even easier. Trying to get out of a cross-up with turbine is not really something I would recommend.

Not everyone has untechable knockdowns so you kan roll and then lift if they try to kross up.

Turbine to get out of kross ups is something Shoryuken (changed his name to "Man on the Run") does.

His wake ups keep people in check but some characters kan shut it down. That's usually how most wake ups are.

The easier your character's metagame is, the more you're hated. It's that simple. Superman is very easy to win with, and there's not much to his metagame (hold the blow-ups, I main the guy). I think that combined with the char's tools and versatility, just creates a shit storm of hate. When you have a low starter with GL's range, people tend to get salty, especially when it continues to hit them. When Supes catches you out of your backdash for 41 %, there will be salt, when Aquaman yolo scoops you, salt shall rain from the tear ducts of his victims, when batman jump 2's around like a retarded jackrabbit, saltfest. But you just gotta not care about what they say, because you're the one who walks away with the win :D

I hate him because I play Bane. Mini Gun. Online...getting in... latency... Mini Gun, get in do work, going hard. Command grabs, d1s, normal throws, set-ups oh he waged... Mini-Gun. Oh I'm in Debuff, B13 + LM MB... I'm afar, block the cross up. Go in for command grab, Mini-gun.

Green Lantern Wins I hear in a cyber yet feminine voice. and then couple it with Once a green lantern always a green lantern.

Move on to the next match. Here aforementioned computer voice say "Super Man". . . . . . .

Shao Kahn would laugh at such a fate.

sgZick

Noob
Not everyone has untechable knockdowns so you kan roll and then lift if they try to kross up.

Turbine to get out of kross ups is something Shoryuken (changed his name to "Man on the Run") does.

His wake ups keep people in check but some characters kan shut it down. That's usually how most wake ups are.
Sure, those are all valid options that can be done on wake-up, the ones you mentioned are good to react on a cross-up attempt. However I wouln't consider any wake-up option good against a carful opponent, everything he can come up with is punishable on block. This is not true for characters that I would consider having a good wake-up game like Batgirl or Black Adam. When I fight another Lantern I never feel that I have to fear his wake-up. Condition them with block punish then do the cross-ups later in the match.

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
Sure, those are all valid options that can be done on wake-up, the ones you mentioned are good to react on a cross-up attempt. However I wouln't consider any wake-up option good against a carful opponent, everything he can come up with is punishable on block. This is not true for characters that I would consider having a good wake-up game like Batgirl or Black Adam. When I fight another Lantern I never feel that I have to fear his wake-up. Condition them with block punish then do the cross-ups later in the match.

That's how most characters are... It's easy to kompare good characters to better characters.

My point is that it's not bad. Not saying it's the best, because it isn't. But it does work really well in some match ups.

M.D.

Spammer. Crouch walk hater.
when batman jump 2's around like a retarded jackrabbit, saltfest
That's me right there.

About GL, I only hate that his Minigun doesn't give a crap about projectile invincibility. Bane is sad. Also Doomsday is sad. My two favorite chars are sad. I hate GL.

sgZick

Noob
That's how most characters are... It's easy to kompare good characters to better characters.

My point is that it's not bad. Not saying it's the best, because it isn't. But it does work really well in some match ups.
Fully agree to the first part, as far as the wake-up game in Injustice goes I personally split the cast in chars whose wake-ups I need to respect (good wake-up game) and those whose waku-ups I don't have to worry about (bad wake up game). And applying those two buckets, I would put GL in the later (view might differ depending on the options each opponent has to punish your wake-up game).
But at the end of the day thats just definitions I think we kind of agree on Lanterns wake-up game. :)