What's new

Question Why are all GL players hated?

Ever since I picked up GL I've been receiving hate-mail from players online and my XBL friends don't want to play me when I'm GL. I pretty good with him yet I still receive hate-mail. I feel like this is a problem with all good GLs and I want to know why. What's your thoughts TYM?

Reauxbot

You think you bad? You aint bad.
Hes just annoying cause of his ring. I cant hate on him really.
Hes incredibly quick to pick up. I used him once online and beat a few people simply cause they wanted to jump
and the ring tore em out the sky for a full combo. Im not sure, but its like him and Killer Frost can combo you from
almost full screen lol.
Just do ya thang playa and play on. Middle Finger to the haters

MorbidAltruism

Get over here!
I didn't really like him when the game first came out. Since then though, I haven't really given him a second thought. His dashes suck. I mean he is still top-tier (I think) so that could be why. However, you will get hate-mail regardless if you are winning. People just like to make excuses. They probably think that if you were using a different character they would have beaten you. Do you spam his projectiles a lot? That could be a reason.

regulas

Your Emporer
Because Lantern's Might (the grab) is obnoxious. Don't get me wrong you can deal with the ability well enough, but it doesn't change the fact that it is obnoxious.

For a combo starter that requires no aiming, is only 10 frames, and has such a massive range and is even tricky to punish in many cases. At high level play it's not that great but at mid to low level play it's just such an easy skill to use that it becomes obnoxious.

The most ironic part is that the rest of his kit is actually kind of mediocre as the ability is too strong it required sacrifices in other areas.

I honestly think that he should have might nerfed somehow (make it more punishable, or slower start-up, BUT, that he should get considerable buffs elsewhere to compensate.

Reauxbot

You think you bad? You aint bad.
I played a guy who spammed Lanterns Might while was stuck in the corner with Harley.
That shit was a nightmare ._.
Got out of it but holy hell this guy was trying to win by all means possible

Rampage254

Ayy Lmao
Because Yolo is power.

But seriously, I know how you feel. I get avoided because I main DS, and randoms usually think I'm being a dick when I pick him, even though they don't realize that's my main. So now I just go to lobbies and let randoms challenge me and record their RQs or see if I get hatemail.

ryumanjisen

I only work in black,sometimes in very dark grey.
Don't worry, in the end it's not a matter of which character you use.

I've got hatemail playing as Batman (apparently using the batarangs to zone is spam), Deathstroke (using guns is spam), Zod (apparently he need a patch cause his air rifle is broken), Green Arrow (ice arrow? spam) and even Bane (d1 > bf2? spam).

ryumanjisen

I only work in black,sometimes in very dark grey.
Do you realize that "jewellery" you're talking about...is one of the most powerful artifacts in the known DC universe, right?

Alexandru Pascu

XBLGT:LordR3van90
I just picked up GL as my co-main last week and ever since then I've been getting non-stop hate mail. People don't like vortexes at all and I can't blame them. If I've got 2 bars meter I will get an entre health bar from an opponent if he guesses wrong twice. It's probably why they hate on my GL but most of the times it's cause of Lantern's might.

Don't forget trait and MB minigun a nice way to remove 20% life from next to full screen

I hate green lantern too Noobish took me all of 5 mins to land those easy 30% combos

Reptile Orion

A Fire Will Rise.
Most TYM or MKU members aren't going to hate on GL but online randoms are a different story. Most of the hate has to do with Lantern's Might. If you randomly jump around and dash against a good GL you will get invoiced with a Lantern's Might. But you can't pay the bill with hate mail! :D

As other TYM members have said in the past. If your getting random hate mail from opposing players you're doing something right.

He's mostly hated online, and thats Because the online netcode for this game is utter garbage so morons that don't know any better think he's "cheap". Online, blocking b1, lanterns might, and just punishing or approaching this character is extremely difficult. He excels in a laggy enviroment. What the morons don't realize is that offline he's a breeze to handle.

Jimmypotato

Mid Tier
Ryan Reynolds,

Oh and B1 is fuckin nuts.

All jokes aside, I don't hate him, very solid character, fun to use, fun to fight against.

RWDY Nori

Where is crossplay?
Lantern's Might. If it wasn't for that move nobody would hate GL. However, I main Black Adam so it's not like I can complain too much about ethics

PunkMafia83

PSN: YaRnToNpUnKMAFIA
A lot of people love to Jump. GL has Lanterns Might, His d2 which no one ever talks about, and space out to b1.

He blows up jumpers probably better then most. Crikey if his movement was faster he would be nuts. dam this makes me want to pick him up lol.

4 DA CORPS

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Everyone I play seems to know how to block GL. He is def. one of the easiest characters to block in the entire game. Block low, then high or just fuzzy everything else. Don't jump in on him unless you're crossing him up, etc.

Not only that, but it's easy to abuse his poor wakeup and lack of mobility.. Vortex characters have a field day while you try to get free. And should you be up against a real zoner, they will harass you from fullscreen and throw things at you, jumping and moving backward while you try to close the gap.

All things considered, I feel like GL is one of the more balanced characters in the game. But he's amazing to play against people that don't want to block :D